Rate The Album: Songs of Innocence (2 1/2 months later)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't say the vertigo tour was a greatest hits tour. Diehards,casuals and day trippers all wanted to hear the htdaab material. Well the large majority did anyway.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

no... but 360 turned into one, and the poster referred to this turning into the second tour in a row that became a greatest hits tour...

soooooo...

no... but 360 turned into one, and the poster referred to this turning into the second tour in a row that became a greatest hits tour...

soooooo...

The original poster said that the next tour could arguably be the 3rd greatest hits tour in a row. I was just putting my opinion forward that the vertigo tour wasn't a greatest hits tour. People wanted to hear the new stuff as much as the older material on that tour. In fact it was the last time U2 were really relevant.

360 turned into one and I think SOIAET will aswell if I'm honest. Even though I love SOI

Miracle 5, EBW 9, California 5, SFS 8, Iris 9, Volcano 6, RBW 7, Cedarwood 7, Sleep 5, Reach 10, Troubles 8, Invisible 10, TCB 9, LH 6
7.4 average
No Line 8, Magnificent 9, MOS 8, UC 3, Crazy 8, GYOB 6, SUC 0, Fez 9, WAS 10, Breathe 2, Cedars 6
6.1 average
Vertigo 9, Miracle Drug 7, Sometimes 8, Love & Peace 6, COBL 10, ABOY 6, Man and Woman 6, Crumbs 6, OSC 9, Original Species 9, Yahweh 6
7.3 Average
BD 8, Stuck 8, Elevation 6, Walk On 8, Kite 10, Little While 8, WH 3, POE 7, Look At World 9, NY 7, Grace 4
7.3 Average

SOI>Bomb=Leave>>>NLOTH

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The original poster said that the next tour could arguably be the 3rd greatest hits tour in a row. I was just putting my opinion forward that the vertigo tour wasn't a greatest hits tour. People wanted to hear the new stuff as much as the older material on that tour. In fact it was the last time U2 were really relevant.

360 turned into one and I think SOIAET will aswell if I'm honest. Even though I love SOI

Sorry I only read the second in a row for.sure part

Summary to date:

29 responses about either the album, songs or both:
Ill round up on the "language" rating if a song hits .70 or higher)

Album: 7.9 (Very Good) :applaud:
The Miracle: 6.68 (Pretty Good)
Every Breaking Wave: 8.2 (Very Good)
California: 7.0 (Good)
Song for Someone: 6.5 (Pretty Good) :doh:
Iris: 7.8 (Very Good) :applaud:
Volcano: 6.6 (Pretty Good)
Wolves: 7.2 (Good)
Ceaderwood: 7.8 (Very Good)
Sleep Like a Baby: 8.1 (Very Good)
Reach: 8.1 (Very Good)
Troubles: 9.1 (Excellent)

Invisible: 8.5 (Very Good)
Crystal Ballroom: 8.9 (Excellent) :applaud:
Lucifers Hands: 6.4 (Pretty Good)
Bono's Bike Riding Ability: 3.75 (Pretty Bad)

In Summary (for now):

Album is very good!

Favorite Song overall: The Troubles (9.08 rating)
Least Favorite Song Overall: Lucifers Hands (6.42 rating)

Favorite Album Song: The Troubles (9.08 rating)
Least Favorite Album Song: Song for Someone (6.46 rating
)

I hope to get more responses from posters who have yet to rank the album/songs and if I do, Ill include them.

For those of you that ranked just the songs, feel free to rank the album and Ill up date it. Same goes for those who ranked the album and not the songs.

We are now at 41 responses and some people had updates, so……
Album: 7.7 (Very Good) :applaud:
The Miracle: 6.9 (Pretty Good)
Every Breaking Wave: 8.0 (Very Good)
California: 7.4 (Good)
Song for Someone: 6.6 (Pretty Good) :doh:
Iris: 7.7 (Very Good) :applaud:
Volcano: 6.8 (Pretty Good)
Wolves: 7.3 (Good)
Ceaderwood: 7.9 (Very Good)
Sleep Like a Baby: 8.0 (Very Good)
Reach: 8.1 (Very Good)
Troubles: 9.0 (Excellent)

Invisible: 8.4 (Very Good)
Crystal Ballroom: 8.9 (Excellent) :applaud:
Lucifers Hands: 6.4 (Pretty Good)
Bono's Bike Riding Ability: 3.75 (Pretty Bad)

In Summary (for now):

Album is very good!

Favorite Song overall: The Troubles (8.96 rating)
Least Favorite Song Overall: Lucifers Hands (6.35 rating)

Favorite Album Song: The Troubles (8.96 rating)
Least Favorite Album Song: Song for Someone (6.6 rating
)

Most Perfect Scores (10/10)

The Troubles: 12
Every Breaking Wave: 6
Reach Me Know: 5
Crystal Ballroom: 5
Invisible: 4
Volcano: 3
Iris: 2
California: 2
CedarWood: 2
Sleep Like A Baby: 2
Raised by Wolves: 1

It would appear that this album has 3 "fan favorite" songs in The Troubles, EBW & Reach.

Thanks everyone for responding and keeping it civil. It will be interesting to see if people become less or more fond of this album. You would think over time the love would wear off a little but with the tour kicking off soon, that might not be the case.

I for one still LOVE this album. I rank it in my top 3 and while that gets a lot of "WTF" comments, it might drop but that is where it is at the moment when I look at the entire album as a whole. We are now almost 5 months on and I still have the urge to hear various songs from this album almost all the time. I am really excited for the next album if this is the direction, although I would not be opposed to a couple of "in your face classic Edge" songs on the next album.:heart:

Very good album overall, would've been significantly better if Invisible opened and TCB was included.

Very good album overall, would've been significantly better if Invisible opened and TCB was included.

Yeah I think this is pretty accurate. I'm working on a new version that takes Miracle and Long For Some Cum out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10/10- Classic
9/10- Excellent
8/10-Very Good
7/10- Good
6/10-Pretty Good (missing something)
5/10-Average
4/10-Pretty Bad
3/10-Bad
2/10-Terrible
1/10-Epic Failure

Songs of Innocence: 6.5/10

The Miracle: 4/10
Every Breaking Wave: 7/10
California: 7/10
Song for Someone: 6/10
Iris: 7.5/10
Volcano: 5/10
Raped by Wolves: 6.5/10
Cedarwood Road: 4/10
Sleep Like a Baby: 5/10
Reach Me Now: 7.5/10
Troubles: 7.5/10
Invisible: 8/10
Crystal Ballroom: 5/10
Lucifers Hands: 5/10

Im back onto listening to this every day,sometimes twice a day.

The album should have started with invisible. I like miracle,so id leave that in there. Then id have swapped raised by wolves for TCB.

Id have given it a 9/10 instead of an 8/10 then

If I'm being honest, all the songs have slipped a tiny bit for me. I don't listen to the whole album at all now. I still like a lot of the songs, but nothing blows me a way. There are no mind-blowing musical moments. The strongest parts are still the lyrics. I worry a bit if SOI is enough to carry a tour - or even the first part of a tour. I worry that it'll be yet another tour (arguably the third in a row) that is being carried by the greatest hits. Second tour in a row for sure.

That's why I really hope SOE surfaces in time for the shows. I think more good material is needed.

360 turned into Zoo TV 2.0. But keep trying.

If I'm being honest, all the songs have slipped a tiny bit for me. I don't listen to the whole album at all now. I still like a lot of the songs, but nothing blows me a way. There are no mind-blowing musical moments. The strongest parts are still the lyrics. I worry a bit if SOI is enough to carry a tour - or even the first part of a tour. I worry that it'll be yet another tour (arguably the third in a row) that is being carried by the greatest hits. Second tour in a row for sure.

That's why I really hope SOE surfaces in time for the shows. I think more good material is needed.

I don't think that will be the case. This is just my opinion but the songs on this album have much greater potential live than NLOTHs songs.

EBW, Song for Someone(yes, I'm in the minority on this one), Iris, Volcano, Wolves, and Reach me know all have the ability to be monster crowd pleasers.

Now also keep in mind that this is the Innocence AND Experience tour, so we are probably going to have two new albums worth of songs to listen to. I think this will be far from a GH tour. Now I say that with the understanding that U2 will play a few 80s songs (Streets, With or With out and Pride/Bad/SBS/IWF), a few 90s songs (one/mysterious ways/SATS/Stay) and a few previous millennial songs (Elevation, Beautiful Day, COBL, Vertigo).

So half the show will be older material but that is par for the course given the number of crowd pleasers this band has.

On a side note, I know there is a decent amount of hate for Elevation in these parts(I love the song) but could anyone argue that it isn't one of the biggest crowd pleasers of U2s career? Every tour, every show, the entire arena/stadium sings along just as loud as any U2 song there is....love it or hate it....its a beast live!

I'm super jacked about the live potential of this album. Reach, Iris, TCB, Invisible, RBW, and Cedarwood Road could be amazing live.

I'm super jacked about the live potential of this album. Reach, Iris, TCB, Invisible, RBW, and Cedarwood Road could be amazing live.

Same here! :up: I really, really, really hope they play Reach especially ... it has the potential to be an absolute monster live. Perfect for arenas too with all the bells and whistles.

I'd love to see Invisible-Reach-TCB-Discotheque to kick off the main set.
Please-RBW-Tomorrow-Iris-Streets to close the main set.
Cedarwood opens the encore and follow up with 80s classics.
2nd encore closes with The Troubles
with an extended Edge solo.
I know, I know...not very realistic. But holy piss that'd be amazing.

I'd love to see Invisible-Reach-TCB-Discotheque to kick off the main set.
Please-RBW-Tomorrow-Iris-Streets to close the main set.
Cedarwood opens the encore and follow up with 80s classics.
2nd encore closes with The Troubles
with an extended Edge solo.
I know, I know...not very realistic. But holy piss that'd be amazing.

That sounds exciting. I´m up for it.

California, Iris, and Raised By Wolves are really the only songs I come back to listen to. More songs than off No Line On The Horizon at least. I only enjoyed the first track on that entire album. I hope Songs Of Experience will come sooner than later and will have more songs that I like. To each his own...

10/10- Classic
9/10- Excellent
8/10-Very Good
7/10- Good

Listened to it again, new playlist, new ratings, new favourites.
Maybe tomorrow I'd rate it differently, but right now, this is where I'm at:

1. Reach Me Now = 9 (+1)
2. Volcano = 9 (+2)
3. Song for Someone = 7 (=)
4. Cedarwood Road = 10 (+1)
5. Raised by Wolves = 8 (=)
6. Every Breaking Wave = 8 (-1)
7. California = 8 (+1)
8. Iris = 7 (+1)
9. The Miracle = 7 (=)
10. The Troubles = 8 (=)
11. Sleep Like a Baby Tonight = 8 (=)

Overall Album = 8

I'm no longer expecting a regular chorus in Iris, so I'm enjoying that song a whole lot more than before.
SLABT, Troubles and Wolves have lost a little bit of shine compared to a month or so ago (I didn't rated them back then, but they probably would've been higher).

EBW and The Miracle sound a little bit tired now... maybe being the first 2 songs in the album has something to do with it, since it's not rare that I start listening the album but I can't finish it... so in the end I listen to the first couple of songs a lot more times than the rest of it. Miracle sounded like a nice surprise almost at the end of the album these last couple of times.

Right now the song I find more interesting is Volcano, climbing up fast through the ranks.

Still love this album. Still discovering new things to love about it.

I've spent way too much time trying to understand why this album has resonated so deeply with me, as opposed to NLOTH, which really did not resonate - I don't see the brilliance even in the loved songs from that album that many of you do. On that album I love the title track and Cedars. Most of the rest of it is middling to me, including the revered MoS, which to me sounds like U2 trying too hard. There are a couple others I genuinely dislike.

Anyway, I think that the thing with SoI with me is that it feels like a complete album that tells a story. The story is very personal to U2, but it's also relatable. I've heard music that has blown me away and changed my life. I've been in ambivalent relationships (EBW could have been written about this one situation I was in...). I've lost people I love. I've felt that pain and grief turn into anger so intense that it could be compared to a volcano, as cheesy as that might sound. I know what it feels like to find something you feel like you belong to.

Of the bonus tracks, I think that Invisible would fit best on the album, but I would not want to lose anything in place of that song. I guess they could have added it as a 12th track?

I also don't understand the complaints that this album is lacking guitar parts by Edge. Every time I listen to it, I hear incredible guitar parts. Some stand out more than others. Some are subtle, just the way he's always been.

Maybe a big part for me is also being an uber-fan and knowing their story, and so knowing the importance of all the songs, and how those experiences emotionally resonate for them and continue to affect them, years later.

Being through a bunch of U2 album releases, you do sort of wonder if your love for a new album is a honeymoon phase sort of thing, but I feel pretty confident in saying that's not the case for this one for me. This one is definitely in the upper echelon of their albums, for me. I never could rank their albums, though. My favourite album tends to be whatever I'm in the mood to listen to at any given time. That's what I appreciate about U2's catalogue...the tapestry of moods they have created.

Also very excited to see what the SoI songs turn into, live.

Oh, one other thing - not sure I buy the argument that U2 are no longer relevant with the kids due to age. Did anyone ask how old Dave Grohl is, before buying their most recent?

Still love this album. Still discovering new things to love about it.

I've spent way too much time trying to understand why this album has resonated so deeply with me, as opposed to NLOTH, which really did not resonate - I don't see the brilliance even in the loved songs from that album that many of you do. On that album I love the title track and Cedars. Most of the rest of it is middling to me, including the revered MoS, which to me sounds like U2 trying too hard. There are a couple others I genuinely dislike.

Anyway, I think that the thing with SoI with me is that it feels like a complete album that tells a story. The story is very personal to U2, but it's also relatable. I've heard music that has blown me away and changed my life. I've been in ambivalent relationships (EBW could have been written about this one situation I was in...). I've lost people I love. I've felt that pain and grief turn into anger so intense that it could be compared to a volcano, as cheesy as that might sound. I know what it feels like to find something you feel like you belong to.

Of the bonus tracks, I think that Invisible would fit best on the album, but I would not want to lose anything in place of that song. I guess they could have added it as a 12th track?

I also don't understand the complaints that this album is lacking guitar parts by Edge. Every time I listen to it, I hear incredible guitar parts. Some stand out more than others. Some are subtle, just the way he's always been.

Maybe a big part for me is also being an uber-fan and knowing their story, and so knowing the importance of all the songs, and how those experiences emotionally resonate for them and continue to affect them, years later.

Being through a bunch of U2 album releases, you do sort of wonder if your love for a new album is a honeymoon phase sort of thing, but I feel pretty confident in saying that's not the case for this one for me. This one is definitely in the upper echelon of their albums, for me. I never could rank their albums, though. My favourite album tends to be whatever I'm in the mood to listen to at any given time. That's what I appreciate about U2's catalogue...the tapestry of moods they have created.

Also very excited to see what the SoI songs turn into, live.

Oh, one other thing - not sure I buy the argument that U2 are no longer relevant with the kids due to age. Did anyone ask how old Dave Grohl is, before buying their most recent?

I agree with everything you just said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Songs of Innocence: 6.5/10

The Miracle: 4/10
Every Breaking Wave: 7/10
California: 7/10
Song for Someone: 6/10
Iris: 7.5/10
Volcano: 5/10
Raped by Wolves: 6.5/10
Cedarwood Road: 4/10
Sleep Like a Baby: 5/10
Reach Me Now: 7.5/10
Troubles: 7.5/10
Invisible: 8/10
Crystal Ballroom: 5/10
Lucifers Hands: 5/10

The Miracle 1/10
Every Breaking Wave 4/10
Every Breaking Wave (New Single Version) 7/10
California 5/10
Song For Someone 6/10
Iris 5/10
Volcano 5/10
Raised By Wolves 4/10
Cedarwood Road 6/10
Sleep Like a Baby 8/10
Reach Me Now 8/10
The Troubles 8/10
Invisible 1/10
Crystal Ballroom 7/10
Lucifer's Hands 2/10

That's today. Could change soon.
I just can't stand Miracle or Invisible. Those songs represent to me everything that's wrong with U2 these days. Bland and horrible "pop" songs that in a few years will mean nothing. Only Get On Your Boots was worse. Sorry, my favourite album was October so I'm an old curmudgeon.

And in 2011, Zoo TV is a greatest hits tour, no?

The 2.0 version I guess promoted the remaster. Playing more songs off a 20 year old album than the actual new album (add in the Zooropa tunes and the ratio gets even worse) was embarassing.

The hits are there every tour. :shrug:

I have to laugh at the X out of 10 ratings....:lol:

Not picking on any one in particular...I just think it's kinda funny...and pointless...:ohmy:

SOI is a good album, that needs more U2 promotion. It's been kinda languishing since Bono broke his everything in December. The Tonight Show residency and the KROQ show would've done wonders for its presence. Instead we're waiting for the tour and that doesn't start until May...:sigh:

And U2Girl, the 360 Tour suffered from a broken Bono, which fractured the tour legs and left the focus on a revered album from 20 years earlier, from an album which barely could muster any interest. Hopefully the I & E Tour stays focused on this album, because this album deserves to be heard live.

Back
Top Bottom