Random Music Talk XXXVII: Powerhour cares more about Spotify than you do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, why is jive turkey the only avatar that shows up in here via iPad app? That's random as hell.

I just think that it is healthy to question some of the dogma that the music press has constructed around them. I seem to remember Pitchfork giving several of the reissues 10s and over 9.5 to almost all of them. That seems like overkill to me. Pepper especially has too much frivolity to be considered a perfect or near-perfect album.

Yes, Peppers has trifles like Good Morning and Lovely Rita. But what makes it special is that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. It feels like a complete work, a musical journey (as Harry Muffin Jr would say). And it has a grandeur and sense of adventure that was previously absent from rock and roll. It MUS be rated in context, not in how the individual songs stack up agains those on Revolver, Abbey Road, etc.

"Now she takes the big cocks!"

:applaud:

Forgive my memory, but is that from an actually written Beatoffs lyric, or did you just come up with that? I can't even remember what the title was. Money Pie? Runny Pie?

Yes. "Creamy Pie."

CREAMY PIE

She was a whoring girl
Worked off Red Light Way
...Now she takes the big cocks!...
Five bucks for a lay
And if she would only agree
This is how I'd spray...

Creamy pie, you are making me climax
Like YLB at IMAX
So don't remove my bone

Oh creamy pie, this feeling is orgasmic
See it drip out like magic
On your frilly red thong

You became a legend of the pleasure scene
And now the thought of meat-ing you
Makes me hard as a tree

Oh creamy pie, you are turning a grand trick
Make your sexy clear heels click
Evacuate my dong

Creamy pie, back up on me

I like it like that
Oh, I feel it coming, hot, white, and glue-thick
Hot, white, and glue-thick
Take it from me, take it from me
Golly, what ooze!

Will the whore that blew my cock
From two to three
Kindly pull her cheeks apart for me

Like YLB at IMAX
So don't remove my bone

1295236811169.jpg

The guy's hat in the preview frame is pretty awesome, though.

Yes. "Creamy Pie."

CREAMY PIE

She was a whoring girl
Worked off Red Light Way
...Now she takes the big cocks!...
Five bucks for a lay
And if she would only agree
This is how I'd spray...

Like YLB at IMAX
So don't remove my bone

Oh creamy pie, this feeling is orgasmic
See it drip out like magic
On your frilly red thong

You became a legend of the pleasure scene
And now the thought of meat-ing you
Makes me hard as a tree

Oh creamy pie, you are turning a grand trick
Make your sexy clear heels click
Evacuate my dong

Creamy pie, back up on me

I like it like that
Oh, I feel it coming, hot, white, and glue-thick
Hot, white, and glue-thick
Take it from me, take it from me
Golly, what ooze!

Will the whore that blew my cock
From two to three
Kindly pull her cheeks apart for me

Like YLB at IMAX
So don't remove my bone

A depraved classic, and love that "like YLB at IMAX" Squrtigo reference.

As far as the Beatles are concerned, I've listened to most of the albums a few times and like some, don't like others, and probably more than anything just haven't given them enough time. I just, for whatever reason, haven't had that much desire to look deeply through their catalog.

Revolution 9 is badass as hell. I find it to be a very enjoyable listening experience, albeit not suited for all moods. Holding it to the same standards as Dear Prudence and While My Guitar Gently Weeps would be a waste of your time.

"Overrated" is a term that turns relative to your personal opinion; it's not worth throwing around as an objective statement, like "man, the Beatles were certainly an overrated band. History has revealed this to be true." Well, no it hasn't, dickhead. Two of the best pop songwriters in all of time, loving production that hasn't dated, a massive collection of songs that have become standards, practically every recording has been OKed by the National Recording Preservation Board for its historical significance by now...if the Beatles are overrated, then every band is overrated.

I defy anyone who holds that "overrated" position to watch the Anthology documentary, or even that shorter Compleat Beatles documentary from the late 70's/early 80's, and restate that claim.

The people who don't like the band or find them overrated usually know fuck all about their work aside from hearing a handful of popular tracks hammered into their head all the time. And they certainly don't understand the context enough to appreciate how rapid and deep their artistic development was.

Can't the same be said of any band? Someone who doesn't like something will appreciate it more if they research more into the artist's life and history, their importance in music, and songs not heard on the radio?

It is what it is, some people don't like some things. Sure, I'm always shocked when I hear someone say they don't like The Beatles as well, but I don't really get the problem. People can like or dislike anything they want, for whatever reasons they want.

I don't think you have to like the Beatles' music to appreciate what it meant if you know anything about it.

There are some things I could apply what you say to, and others highly doubtful. But yes of course, people can like/dislike whatever they want. I don't really care.

I keep getting random calls from Alhambra and Sault Ste Marie. :huh: Did somebody steal my number off facebook and give it to Laz and/or Elfa?

Kidding, folks.

Mofo, obviously people can think or do whatever they want. And I'm equally free to think some people are fucking idiots. I don't think your equivalence argument holds much water because (a) the cultural significance of The Beatles in their time period was unequaled by any other musical artist (feel free to try and dispute this, but I think it's a legit statement), and (b) the innovation that was going on in the studio just isn't something you're going to find with most artists on a continual basis. Brian Wilson? Pink Floyd? Queen? Aside from Pet Sounds (which Wilson went bonkers after, probably because he knew he'd never top Revolver) and Dark Side of the Moon, where are the albums that shocked and expanded people's ears and inspired such examination and obsession like the run The Beatles had from Rubber Soul to Abbey Road?

I don't think you have to like the Beatles' music to appreciate what it meant if you know anything about it.

There are some things I could apply what you say to, and others highly doubtful. But yes of course, people can like/dislike whatever they want. I don't really care.

I'm not really sure what any of us are talking about any more. A bunch of Beatles fans arguing whether or not it's ok for people who are not us to say they think The Beatles are overrated? :laugh:

Anyways, add this to the band in crisis section:

Stephen Malkmus Disses U2 and DSK

That's not really a direct diss. Did he actually see the show? If he had a real axe to grind he prob would have been more specific.

What's even better is that the Pitchfork writer actually defended Shuttlecock's performance. So the band winds up looking good here.

I'm not really sure what any of us are talking about any more. A bunch of Beatles fans arguing whether or not it's ok for people who are not us to say they think The Beatles are overrated? :laugh:

There is no argument. Those that say they were overrated are wrong and that is final. :laugh:

But I respect their right to hold their wrong opinion.

The one thing about the whole 'people not getting how significant the Beatles were' that really bugs me is when shitty musicians like Mariah Carey or Ashanti (remember her? didnt think so) compare themselves to the Beatles in terms of number one singles or whatever horseshit stat their record company was feeding them at the time. Apples and rotten oranges

The one thing about the whole 'people not getting how significant the Beatles were' that really bugs me is when shitty musicians like Mariah Carey or Ashanti (remember her? didnt think so) compare themselves to the Beatles in terms of number one singles or whatever horseshit stat their record company was feeding them at the time. Apples and rotten oranges

This.

Just for fun, even though it has probably been done a million times:

1. Abbey Road
2. Revolver
3. White Album
4. MM Tour (if you count it as an album)
5. Rubber Soul
6. Sgt. Pepper
7. Let It Be

...then the rest.

lazarus said:
How had I overlooked Lindsey Buckingham's I Know I'm Not Wrong on Tusk?

What a great track.

Hell yes. Ashley's been flaunting her love affair with the MAC! for months, and it has rubbed off on me somewhat, Tusk more than anything. Especially Lindsey's cracked-out pseudo-masterpieces. If Tusk was only Stevie and Lindsey, it would be my favorite of theirs.

iron yuppie said:
Just for fun, even though it has probably been done a million times:

1. Abbey Road
2. Revolver
3. White Album
4. MM Tour (if you count it as an album)
5. Rubber Soul
6. Sgt. Pepper
7. Let It Be

...then the rest.

1. Abbey Road (A+)
2. Magical Mystery Tour (A+)
3. Rubber Soul (A)
4. Sgt. Pepper (A)
5. Revolver (A)
6. White Album (A-)
7. Let It Be (B+)
8. Help! (B+)
9. Beatles For Sale (B)
10. A Hard Day's Night (B)
11. Please Please Me (B-)
12. With The Beatles (B-)
13. Yellow Submarine (C+)

Well since MMT has songs/singles recorded during the Peppers session as well as ones made over 6 months later, one really can't call it an album. Otherwise, you may as well include the Past Masters volumes, the second of which containing more great tracks than anything other than the White Album. So list them but they should be asterisked.

1. White Album
2. MMT *
3. Revolver
4. Past Masters vol. 2 *
5. Sgt. Peppers
6. Abbey Road
7. Let It Be...Naked *
8. Rubber Soul
9. Help
10. Beatles For Sale
11. Hard Day's Night

I dont listen to any of the others staight through.

* my ideal Let It Be is a combination of the two versions + Old Brown Shoe and Ballad Of John & Yoko from the same recording period, but overall the Naked version still gets the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom