National Hockey League 2009 - 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whenever someone pulls a goalie, I like to reference the Miracle on Ice goalie switch. Mischkin for Trediak.

Just an indefensible move by Tikhonov, pulling Tretiak. You've got a generational talent in goal, and he gets caught off-guard late, so you pull him? And especially considering they were playing a team they'd handled easily, you can understand a little lapse on Tretiak's part. I still think he did it because he figured they'd win anyway, and he wanted to punish Tretiak...brilliant move.

Just an indefensible move by Tikhonov, pulling Tretiak. You've got a generational talent in goal, and he gets caught off-guard late, so you pull him? And especially considering they were playing a team they'd handled easily, you can understand a little lapse on Tretiak's part. I still think he did it because he figured they'd win anyway, and he wanted to punish Tretiak...brilliant move.
One of my favorite scenes in the movie about it is when they're in the final minute of the game, and the assistant says, "Why isn't he pulling Mischkin?" and Kurt Russell turns around, looks at Tikohonov, and says, "He doesn't know what to do!"

One of my favorite scenes in the movie about it is when they're in the final minute of the game, and the assistant says, "Why isn't he pulling Mischkin?" and Kurt Russell turns around, looks at Tikohonov, and says, "He doesn't know what to do!"

I just thought about that the other night, in game 6 of C's/Cavs, when time was winding down and the Cavs weren't pressing, trapping, or fouling, and that was my first thought; they're in shock and don't know what to do.

didn't even realize philly/montreal started today. took a nap and missed it

guess montreal's hot goalie turned ice cold.

Halak was pulled in both the Pens and Caps series and he went on to win the following games so I'm not overly concerned :)

But yes, definitely one of the Habs' worse performances during these playoffs.

I almost hope they play it safe with Carter. Lappy, if they're sure his head's OK, then the rest of his body should be in game shape and ready. Carter will be skating with injuries to both feet, and skating is one of his biggest assets. If he's much less than 100% I'm not sure if he helps, and I'd hate to have him reinjure himself.

Of course I said the same of Gagne, and he turned that series around on one leg, so what the hell do I know?

It's weird, this is the first time I can remember where there's not a single team I absolutely despise in the final four. I have no problem whatsoever with any of these four teams winning the Cup. It's odd, because usually at this time I'm rooting against teams to win the Cup, although the team I'm rooting against usually ends up winning it all.

It's weird, this is the first time I can remember where there's not a single team I absolutely despise in the final four. I have no problem whatsoever with any of these four teams winning the Cup. It's odd, because usually at this time I'm rooting against teams to win the Cup, although the team I'm rooting against usually ends up winning it all.

I'm in the same boat. I like all four teams. I don't know how I feel about that. It sorta makes things easier when you can root against someone...even though the usually win.

This made me laugh (http://www.lighthousehockey.com/):
"But one wonderful thing about the Flyers winning the first two games? Their fans singing the "Ole" song that Canadiens fans have adopted in recent years. It's great because: 1) The lyrics are elementary enough that Flyers fans can actually remember -- perhaps even spell -- them"

I feel the same way. Obviously I have a dog in the fight, but if the Flyers don't manage to finish the deal I'd really have no great issue with any of the other teams. I'd have even been fine with the Bruins, if they'd managed to close out the Flyers.

This obsession of Gary Bettman of trying to get the American attention about hockey is beyond me.You can have the game at 3pm,8pm,heck!even at 1am, they just don't care.They've had hockey on T.V. for over 40 years (so it's not like they don't know what it is already),they simply don't give a rat's a$$.

Hockey ratings in the U.S. have been in the toilet since i've been alive.Even with the 1980 miracle on ice,the sport hasn't catch up the imagination of american sports fan for a whatever reasons.Of course, in the original 4 U.S. markets you have a hardcore fan base,but if the local team is out of the playoff,they aren't paying any attention for the remaining of the post-season.

One of the complaints that U.S. sports fans have is that Hockey is not a good television game.How the hell Canadians don't have a problem with this sport on T.V. then?Is it because U.S. tv production crew don't have a clue of have how to translate this game for television?I doubt that very much.

The irony in all this is that 80% of the NHL franchise are based in America.It's like if 80% of MLB,NFL or the NBA teams were based in Canada.

This obsession of Gary Bettman of trying to get the American attention about hockey is beyond me.You can have the game at 3pm,8pm,heck!even at 1am, they just don't care.They've had hockey on T.V. for over 40 years (so it's not like they don't know what it is already),they simply don't give a rat's a$$.

Hockey ratings in the U.S. have been in the toilet since i've been alive.Even with the 1980 miracle on ice,the sport hasn't catch up the imagination of american sports fan for a whatever reasons.Of course, in the original 4 U.S. markets you have a hardcore fan base,but if the local team is out of the playoff,they aren't paying any attention for the remaining of the post-season.

One of the complaints that U.S. sports fans have is that Hockey is not a good television game.How the hell Canadians don't have a problem with this sport on T.V. then?Is it because U.S. tv production crew don't have a clue of have how to translate this game for television?I doubt that very much.

The irony in all this is that 80% of the NHL franchise are based in America.It's like if 80% of MLB,NFL or the NBA teams were based in Canada.
It certainly doesn't help that hockey went ahead and missed an entire season and still broadcasts most of its games on obscure television channels.

Too many teams in places like Florida, too. Probably should only be a 24 team league.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom