Marathon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CKONE

Acrobat
1st visit to Interference for ages - apologies for my absence - very remiss of me i know.

In June I went to a 20 year school reunion, got very drunk, walked 9 miles home in the early hours of the morning to then get up and watch England get hammered by Germany in the WC! As the pics popped up on FB I decided it was time to ditch 20 years of inactivity and unhealthy living, get fit and run a half marathon. I did that on Oct 24th in Birmingham in a red morphsuit for my nieces charity. Raised a touch over £3000.

I've now registered for the Edinburgh Marathon (all 26.2 miles of it) on May 22nd. If I survive and complete it (should that be the other way around?) I will have completed a marathon within 11 months of that reunion! I will be raising money again for my nieces charity and if it goes well I may look at crossing the pond to do the New York Marathon on Nov 6th!

I've stepped up my training and got a snazzy ipod shuffle thing and suitable running ear phones. I downloaded or uplaoaded whichever it is my whole U2 CD collection which is all the studio albums, a few singles and b sides and a few specials. I've hit 'shuffle' and stepped up training. I cant impress enough just how bloody brilliant 200+ U2 tracks on shuffle can be during training. This morning for example at 6am The Wanderer dragged me up 'cardiac' hill and Magnificent wrapped its arms around me during the final 500m sprint finish. In between I was accompanied by Electic co, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Stay, Mothers of the disappeared, Streets and Numb amongst others.

When the doc weighed me in Nov I'd lost 10kg. I havent been weighed since but compared with June 2010 I am 5 notches down on my belt, I can see my feet again and can do up my collar for work.

If there was a god (which I'm sure there isnt) then its Bono and I worship daily in the church of U2!

Good to be back.

Wow! I'm really impressed.
Your decision is praiseworthy, it's not only healthy lifestyle but also helping people. I used to run a lot but I didn't reach even the distance of a half marathon, so I hold every person who is determined enough to do it in high esteem.
I wish you luck on May 22nd :) Let us know about the result :)

Congrats! Three years ago, I had a similar 'turn around' and now do sprint triathlons. I've toyed with the idea of doing a half marathon but never a full. Good for you for getting your heart, lungs and the rest of your body back in what I'm sure is excellent working condition. And I'm sure your loved ones appreciate it too.

Let us know how the training goes!

the demons from the Birmingham Half Marathon were extinguished last friday when I did a 13.57 mile training run in 2 hours 5 mins. Felt very strong, had some left in the tank and this was my furthest ever run. I only intended to do 12 miles but got carried away. doing 2 runs of 6 miles this week and then 14.5 miles this weekend. Hoping to be up to 16 miles each weekend from the following week and I will stick at that and perhaps chuck in an 18 miler and 20 miler in a month or so!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom