Green Day influenced by U2 again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
starvinmarvin said:

2) Fart joke Punk
-I hate to say it, but this kind of started with the Ramones, and bands like Blink 182 and Dayglo Abortions have carried on this tradition of silliness. These bands are heavy on the fart/masterbation jokes and general rude silliness. U2 loves the Ramones, but sounds nothing like them. Green day was this kind of band in the beginning, but have evolved into the #3.....

How can you put the Ramones and Blink 182 in the same category??? Blink 182, for the most part is just juvenile whiny crap. The Ramones were masters at short 3 chord numbers you could rock to. I'm no great fan of the Ramones but off hand, I can't think of a single song of theirs that talks about farts or masturbation!

Zootlesque said:

How can you put the Ramones and Blink 182 in the same category??? Blink 182, for the most part is just juvenile whiny crap. The Ramones were masters at short 3 chord numbers you could rock to. I'm no great fan of the Ramones but off hand, I can't think of a single song of theirs that talks about farts or masturbation!

You're right, the Ramones don't take things that far, but there is a silly, tongue-in-cheek aspect of there music that can't be denied. Of course, we all know they are way better than Blink 182, but there is a common thread. These are bands that use humour in their music, and aren't afraid to push the envelope.

starvinmarvin said:

You're right, the Ramones don't take things that far, but there is a silly, tongue-in-cheek aspect of there music that can't be denied. Of course, we all know they are way better than Blink 182, but there is a common thread. These are bands that use humour in their music, and aren't afraid to push the envelope.

Oh ok. Otherwise I pretty much agree with what you're saying here. And I prefer the political punk far more than hardcore or joke punk.

Zootlesque said:

Oh ok. Otherwise I pretty much agree with what you're saying here. And I prefer the political punk far more than hardcore or joke punk.

yeah, I prefer the political stuff too. I'm definetely not trying to put Blink 182 on the same level as Ramones though. But songs like 'I Wanna Sniff Some Glue" do have more than a trace of juvenile humor though

Green Day is waaaaaay better than Coldplay. And Billy Joe is way hotter than Chris M. and a better singer too. Bono and Billy Joe were very friendly at the Grammy awards. I saw in a magazine article Billy Joe said he'd be honored to end up like U2. He said there was nothing wrong with starting out as a punk band and becoming something more, like U2. That's what Green Day did with American Idiot, they became something more.

Palace_Hero said:
You're reading too much into things.

This post ^^ sums it all up. It'd be like saying the Foo Fighters were influenced by U2 on the One by One video when the song breaks down into the gutar riff and the silohettes of the band members are prominent in front of a brightly red light backdrop. The video for Wake Me Up When September's over is most definately not inspired by U2.

Last edited:
Hallucination said:

This post ^^ sums it all up. It'd be like saying the Foo Fighters were influenced by U2 on the One by One video when the song breaks down into the gutar riff and the silohettes of the band members are prominent in front of a brightly red light backdrop. The video for Wake Me Up When September's over is most definately not inspired by U2.

Foo Fighters....:sick:

As for the GD-U2 thing, I doubt they ever set out to 'copy' them on anything.

U2Kitten said:
Green Day is waaaaaay better than Coldplay. And Billy Joe is way hotter than Chris M. and a better singer too.

I wouldn't agree!
I think /especially here/ it's just matter of taste.
+, you think one is hotter than the other... :huh: :wink:

Billie Joe Armstrong said one of the albums they were listening to during the recording of "American Idiot" was the Joshua Tree.

They were on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine a few months back, and Billie mentioned this.

thrillme said:
Billie Joe Armstrong said one of the albums they were listening to during the recording of "American Idiot" was the Joshua Tree.

They were on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine a few months back, and Billie mentioned this.

Maybe they did listen to JT, but there are no traces of JT on American Idiot. They only similarity they share is that they have both sold over 10 million copies each.

I don't know, I just think you're looking too much into this. But that's just me.

Billie Joe did also say that he was largely impressed by U2's Elevation tour, the way they changed up eras and sounds at the drop of a hat, and how he'd like Green Day to get there someday. I think inspired by U2 might be a better word choice than influenced by.

UnforgettableLemon said:
Billie Joe did also say that he was largely impressed by U2's Elevation tour, the way they changed up eras and sounds at the drop of a hat, and how he'd like Green Day to get there someday. I think inspired by U2 might be a better word choice than influenced by.

Post of the week!!!!!!:applaud:

That's what I was trying to say, but it didn't come out right.

The Foo Fighters didn't copy U2, but they were going to open for them at Slane 2... so obviously they are a bit influenced by them.

starvinmarvin said:
Yes, a three piece band. That's what you call a band with one guitar, a bass, and drums. Most bands are four pieces, with 2 guitars (lead and rythmn), but Edge is so good that he can play both rythmn and lead guitar at the same time.

Green Day have an extra guitarist on stage so I wouldn't really class them as a three piece band. Edge does not play lead and rhythm at the same time either, there is blatantly an extra guitar in some songs (ABOY, One etc) and it is not Bono playing it even when he has a guitar. U2 have an "under the stage musician".

To say Green Day are copying U2 because of a video with a red screen is pretty ridiculous IMO.specially as the music sounds very different.
However I feel the arguments about Coldplay are trying to be U2 are justified though. Not because of one particular aspect of what they are doing but because if a culmination of factors. For example the video for "speed of sound"(the red screen and Chris Martin's "movements"), the edge influenced guitar on the album, Chris Martin trying to speak out on humanitarian issues (he even said he was trying to be like Bono). There a few more that don't come to mind. Now if Coldplay were just doing one of these things you would say that "U2 didn't come up with a red screen etc" but it is the fact that they are becoming so similar to U2 in so many ways that makes me think they want to be them. Now Green Day might have a red screen but their music sounds so different to U2 I don't think you could possibly say that they copied the red screen of U2 because "U2 didn't come up with the red screen"!!!

nickypiemcg said:

Green Day have an extra guitarist on stage so I wouldn't really class them as a three piece band. Edge does not play lead and rhythm at the same time either, there is blatantly an extra guitar in some songs (ABOY, One etc) and it is not Bono playing it even when he has a guitar. U2 have an "under the stage musician".

No U2 doesn't, they'll use backing tracks to accompany the lads now and again...........

I thought everyone got over that one:|

ZeroDude said:

No U2 doesn't, they'll use backing tracks to accompany the lads now and again...........

I thought everyone got over that one:|

Well it amounts to the same thing really doesn't it.

nickypiemcg said:

Well it amounts to the same thing really doesn't it.

Not really, you see if I was an extra understage guitarist I'd being pretty pissed so to speak:wink:

Back
Top Bottom