Effect Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenbax

The Fly
I have been given information that Edge uses a Boss FA-1 FET amp pedal in his set-up but is no longer available and very rare. An alternative to this is a DOD FX10 BiFET Preamp but this too seems impossible to find! Also, the MXR Dynacomp compressor pedal he uses is also impossible to obtain, in England at least.
Can anyone please give me further information as to currently available equipment that can be used instead of the above to produce the same effects

Thankyou

PEACE!

The DOD BiFET is no longer made, but they pop up now and then on Ebay. You may not find one right away, but be patient. It took me months to get one. There are other alternatives, such as equalizers with boosters (much like the Boss GE-7), but these do not boost the signal as cleanly as a DOD Bi-FET or a BOSS Fa-1. The MXR Dynacomp is readily available in England. I was just in London and found several shops that carried the entire MXR line of pedals (Denmark Street, just off of Charings Cross). Search the net and you will no doubt find a Dynacomp in England. There are many other compressors that can be used (Boss CS-3, for example), but these do not sound quite as good.

Just remember, people, that it never depends on the technique, but always on how you use it.

Thing is, you might nearly get the same results with any kind of guitar processor. I don?t think The Edge sounds like The Edge because he uses Boss (or whatever he uses). It depends more on his style, and on his playing technique.

In my opinion, you can get good results with many guit amp processors, or FX. It depends on how well you use them. If you try around a lot, you may get ears and experience to make it sound good.

This is a principle that I have found to be true for a lot of studio gear. It depends more on creativity and ears (and programming skills) than on technique. To say it in extreme words... with an Atari Computer/ Sequencer setup (and a few other tools) you can program a hit, whereas it might be possible that you fail on a Protools system (studio standard) when you don?t have any creative idea of how to use all the tech that surrounds you.

There are some differences, sure, f.e. between the handling of an Akai MPC sampler and any other sampler. On the other hand, take a look at how many MPCs have been sold, and how few users actually create hits.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Just remember, people, that it never depends on the technique, but always on how you use it.

I believe you mean that the *technology* doesn't matter, don't you? In that case I totally agree!

Can anyone please give me further information as to currently available equipment that can be used instead of the above to produce the same effects

I use a Boss FZ-2, which is out of production but it's cheap and easy to find on ebay.

It's a fuzz pedal with 3 modes: Fuzz 1, Fuzz 2 and (above all) Gain Boost.
I just use the boost mode as a preamp (with no gain) to emulate the FA-1.

They're both booster, both from Boss...I suppose the sound is almost similar!

I have been given information that Edge uses a Boss FA-1 FET amp pedal in his set-up but is no longer available and very rare. An alternative to this is a DOD FX10 BiFET Preamp but this too seems impossible to find! Also, the MXR Dynacomp compressor pedal he uses is also impossible to obtain, in England at least.

Thankyou

PEACE!

Tone starts with YOUR hands and your picking technique.

Proof?

I've seen The Edge play with ONLY a Les Paul > EH Memory Man > vintage Vox (all of which were not his) and STILL sound like The Edge. This in June of 2003 when he played with Daniel Lanois in Hollywood.

More proof?

Bono has said that he's played Edge's guitar with Edge's effects, amps and settings and it sounded crap. Not to get into who thinks or thinks not that Bono can play guitar okay or now. But the proof is in the pudding.

The player is a key element to one's tone.

That said, Boss FA-1's are far to pricey for what they are worth and do. If you want to waste $500+ it is up to you... when and if you see one on Ebay.

DOD BiFets show up on Ebay from time to time. I have two. One I got for $20.00 and the other for $18.50! While maybe not as collectible and the sound a bit different from the FA-1, the $400+ in price shows me that the DOD can do the job and is a far better and economical choice.

As for MXR Dyna-Comp, MXR makes them now. But the reissues do not sound as good as the vintage, so buyer beware.

First and foremost, as mentioned, you are a big part of the tone. Practice, practice, practice.

That said, a good guitar that is set up well, stays in tune and doesn't have any fret buzz will get you a long way.

Second, a decent amp. A 100.00 Vox Pathfinder is a good start. A $500.00Fender Blues Jr. is a good choice if you've a bit more money. And if you've the money, a Vox AC30.

A decent overdrive pedal: Boss OD-2, OD-2r, SD-1, Ibanez T9 or 808 reissue, Maxon Tubescreamer equivalents that are just as good as vintage (as Maxon MADE the vintage versions for Ibanez in the 1970's). There are other OD's that will get more extreme tones but you might want to start with one of the OD's listed above first before getting a Death By Audio OD or Sobbat Drivebreaker or Boss PW-2.

The other key ingredient is a decent delay unit. Boss DD-20 is a great delay to get some decent Edge delay. Eventide Time Factor is good too. The key are delays with 'mod delay'.

Good luck and good tone.

That

helpful answer

hello my name is peter and i have a tribute band in spain (www.myspace.com/thehypegroup).
i have 2 boost pedals, one is sex drive by durham electronics, edge has one and this pedal is awesome for solos used with overdrive. the other one is fet amp boost by retrosonic, it is a clone of fa-1. it is a great pedal and i use it for bad, pride, i hope this helps.
bye.

Back
Top Bottom