(10-27-2005) Bands Under U2's Influence -- KRT News Service*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bands Under U2's Influence

By Brian McCollum

During U2's 25 years on the global music scene, from the 1980 release of "Boy" to the ongoing Vertigo tour, the Irish foursome has carved out a place as one of history's most influential rock bands. Although the group's specialized sound has proved difficult for others to fully duplicate, U2's defining traits continue to inspire legions of artists. Here are five places where the U2 influence reverberates in 2005.

Arcade Fire: The edgy, soaring music of this Montreal collective has made it the reigning favorite among rock's tastemakers _ including U2 itself, which has enlisted the band to open a string of upcoming Canadian dates.

The Walkmen: This indie quintet is made up of New York rock veterans who summon the wide, anthemic vibe of mid-era U2.

Contemporary Christian music: Christian rockers have long gravitated to U2, in part because of Bono's frequent public professions of faith. With Christan pop now one of the decade's fastest-growing genres, popular acts such as Delirious and Third Day vocally tout their stylistic similarities to the Irish superstars.

Coldplay: Like the alt-rock band Live before them, Chris Martin and crew had already earned ample U2 comparisons thanks to their yearning, optimistic songs. But this year's "X&Y" album opened the floodgates. Martin has since acknowledged the dominant influence of U2 on the new work.

Idlewild: Like so many of its UK peers to emerge from the `90s _ bands like Travis, Suede and Manic Street Preachers _ Idlewild's debt to U2 is apparent less in the sonic details than in the liberated emotional approach to its arty rock. The band's new "Warnings/Promises" is one of 2005's best rock albums.

-- KRT News Service

Influenced (heavily) by early U2 sound:

Listen to The Departure -- the guitars are very, very 'Edge-ish'. The guitar bit in the second half of the song Talkshow is about as close as it gets. Probably more influenced by the early U2 sound (vocals aside) than any band I've heard.

White Shadows (especially on one of the live version that was floating around before the album came out) is uber-influenced too.
Despite the Coldplay lashing on here, I think X&Y is a nice unabashed tribute to U2 in a way.

The guitar in the song Midnight Show by The Killers.

Many instances on the Our Lady Peace album Healthy In Paranoid Times -- especially the song Boy (hmmm...interesting).

Controller.controller (moreso on their EP History than on their LP X-Amounts) -- try the song History -- the guitars again are very influenced.

The Stills....Modest Mouse (in some instances -- mostly the last few records only)...

I could go on...

Damn, I should have started a thread on this -- as much as people speak of Gang of Four, Joy Division...etc. being an influence on current rock trends, U2 have definitely played a role. It's just that very few reviewers see this as a positive point (it's certainly not 'cool' to like U2 these days -- well, a select few albums only, but not the band or concept), so they refrain from mentioning it if they plan to speak well of the particular band they're reviewing.

Anthemic U2 influenced: too many to count

Back
Top Bottom