(05-24-2003) Discord over Bono's causes - Daily Telegraph *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/

Discord over Bono's causes

He's the spectacle-wearing face of international rock philanthropy. But U2 singer Bono's endless campaigning is getting on the nerves of his band mates.

Bono, who was behind recent celebrity campaigns to cancel Third World debt, last week went to Downing Street to give Tony Blair an earful about Aids awareness. But while our Prime Minister may have appreciated the visit - not to mention the photo opportunity - Bono's fellow band members were less impressed.

"Charity work does interfere. It takes up 50 per cent of my time," Bono told Spy at Time magazine's annual awards. "I'm actually on the edge of being chucked out of the band. I'm off to the studio to spend the weekend recording stuff I should have done ages ago."

A spokesman for U2 admitted the tensions: "Some of the other band members have felt for years that Bono has risked being too political at the expense of group," she said. "Edge, for example, was terribly concerned when Bono was lobbying Right-wing Republicans in America."

I'm not worried. You can't be in a rock band for 20+ years and not have tensions and disagreements. They've always been able to work them out. Bono's causes are very important. I'm sure they basically support the causes they just have to work out some disagreements.

This is old news........

Yes, I know The Edge and the guys wish that Bono wasn't doing stuff like that, but they have also agreed that they had made some of their best music during the making of ATYCLB. It's like writing a book or doing any other project. You can't just sit there and work on it 24/7. Every once in a while you have to leave it and come back to it.

verte76 said:
I'm not worried. You can't be in a rock band for 20+ years and not have tensions and disagreements. They've always been able to work them out. Bono's causes are very important. I'm sure they basically support the causes they just have to work out some disagreements.

I tend to agree. When you are involved in any kind of relationship that long whether it's a band, marriage or friendship your are going to have bumps in the road here and there. If the bond is there it more than likely can usually be worked out. I've known my best friend that long and have been trying to work thru tensions we've had lately. While I may complain and vent I value her friendship dearly and know that at times it's necessary to compromise what you are doing for the good of the relationship and the other party. I would say that it seems that these 4 guys are the same with one another. I give him credit for acknowledging that it has impacted the rest of the band.

Bino has been a member of u2 since he was 16 and I know he loves being in the band but he also loves all the charity workthat he is doing!I think he is very torn between the two.I really hope the band does not give him an ultimatium because he may not choose u2 at this point in his live

theSoulfulMofo said:
wow... first achtung baby, then this. :shrug:

Oh, I don't think this is anything like the tensions they went through during the Achtung Baby sessions. They were fighting for their existence during that period. Now they are having the same kind of disagreements they've been having since they started. I don't think they're going to make him quit this stuff. They'll just make him stay in the studio to finish the album. Bono has said that music is his first love and he isn't going to stop. Like I said, I'm not worried. We'll get another album and tour next year. Let's get ready to PARTY!!!

u2sangel said:
Bino has been a member of u2 since he was 16 and I know he loves being in the band but he also loves all the charity workthat he is doing!I think he is very torn between the two.I really hope the band does not give him an ultimatium because he may not choose u2 at this point in his live

I dunno, Bono has said music is more important than politics multiple times. I really don't think that much is going on to make us worry, as if Bono mentions something like that's he's usually being light hearted about it. Still, I'm concered
*looks around for reassurance*

this struggle between the bandmates has gone on for a long time, and i forgot which one said it but one of them said a band that doesn't have quarrels isn't a band or something along those lines. anyway, y'all get the picture. that's life! they have disagreements. they'll move on, they always have, they're rational men.

Is it just me or is this whole article totally alarmist? Seems like no one has actually said anything about Bono's work, and if they have in private, I highly doubt it is hurting the band too seriously.

amberdawn said:
Is it just me or is this whole article totally alarmist? Seems like no one has actually said anything about Bono's work, and if they have in private, I highly doubt it is hurting the band too seriously.

I agree with you. I think the article is alarmist as heck. They have had some minor disagreements over this stuff--I think Edge was initially a bit uneasy about Bono meeting with Bush, but then he was quoted in the press as saying that if Bush decided to support an AIDS package for Africa that it would be worth it. The guys are actually quite proud of Bono's work; they've had some disagreements about timing and such, but I really don't think it's a major deal and it's certainly nothing that I'm worried about. They're getting the album done. You can't rush creativity anyway. I think everything is OK, the newspapers just have an annoying habit of exaggerating stuff that happens to famous people.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom