Eeny, meeny, miny, moe...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exit_(U2_song)

The lyrics, which portray the mind of a serial killer, were inspired by lead singer Bono's reading of Norman Mailer's 1980 novel The Executioner's Song, and other related works. In his trial for the murder of Rebecca Schaeffer, Robert John Bardo used "Exit" as part of his defence, claiming the song had influenced his actions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eeny,_meeny,_miny,_moe

There are many scenes in books, films, plays, cartoons and video games in which a variant of "Eeny meeny ..." is used by a character who is making a choice, either for serious or comic effect. Notably, the rhyme has been used by killers to choose victims in the 1994 films Pulp Fiction and Natural Born Killers,[23][24] the 2003 film Elephant,[25] and the sixth-season finale of the AMC television series The Walking Dead.

Hmmm...

I think he's trying to argue that it's not a completely stupid, inexplicable addition to the song.

I do not like it yet, at all, but maybe it will grow on me.

I think he's trying to argue that it's not a completely stupid, inexplicable addition to the song.

I do not like it yet, at all, but maybe it will grow on me.

I know better (now) than to blatantly hypothesize here...but if this isn't a reasonable connection...

I just can't see how he pulled this nursery rhyme out of nowhere for this song.

I definitely don't think it's random. It's silly, though it works better than it should.

Hopefully a point comes where he, or somebody like Willie Williams, provides an explanation. Note that every show this rhyme has been preceded by a quote from Flannery O'Connor's book Wise Blood. If anybody here has read it, is there a potential connection here?

I definitely don't think it's random. It's silly, though it works better than it should.

Hopefully a point comes where he, or somebody like Willie Williams, provides an explanation. Note that every show this rhyme has been preceded by a quote from Flannery O'Connor's book Wise Blood. If anybody here has read it, is there a potential connection here?
Oh that's interesting. See I didn't give it any thought at all and now you guys have my head turning a bit.

you know, i have to admit that i was scratching my head over this snippet and when he sang it, i laughed because i thought it sounded so ridiculous. but when i read...

the sixth-season finale of the AMC television series The Walking Dead.
it finally clicked. i mean, the rest of it does too (like i've also seen pulp fiction too, for example) but that finale reference really made it make sense for me. it makes the snippet so sinister, and i kinda wish i'd known about this before i went to the show. but it does help the song (not just the snippet) and its performance be even more powerful. it was already one of the highlights for me when i saw it. the visuals, the music, bono's delivery, they were really on for that song.

I've always liked "Exit", but I have to admit that the song's bad karma combined now with this freaky nursery rhyme creeps me out a bit...

Post from Rollingstone.com regarding Exit -

Bono - "I had a lot of self-harm over the years playing that song. I was very glad not to play it for many years. I broke my shoulder. I got into some very dark places on the stage. I'd rather not step back into that song, but I found a way by thinking of where it came from and going back to the books I was reading at the time. I realized the real influence was probably Flannery O'Connor, so I developed this character called the Shadow Man and I'm managing to step into the shoes of the Shadow Man without any self-harm. It's quite a character. I'm actually using some lines from [the O'Connor book] Wise Blood. I also do "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe," which we grew up with in Europe, a totally racist thing. The bit from Wise Blood is, "Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going is never there. Where you are is no good unless you can get away from it." It's Southern Gothic, which is what I guess you'd call it."

Bono - "I had a lot of self-harm over the years playing that song. I was very glad not to play it for many years. I broke my shoulder. I got into some very dark places on the stage. I'd rather not step back into that song, but I found a way by thinking of where it came from and going back to the books I was reading at the time. I realized the real influence was probably Flannery O'Connor, so I developed this character called the Shadow Man and I'm managing to step into the shoes of the Shadow Man without any self-harm. It's quite a character. I'm actually using some lines from [the O'Connor book] Wise Blood. I also do "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe," which we grew up with in Europe, a totally racist thing. The bit from Wise Blood is, "Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going is never there. Where you are is no good unless you can get away from it." It's Southern Gothic, which is what I guess you'd call it."

Nice find. It's a great read all around:

Bono on 'Joshua Tree' Tour, Trump, U2's Next Album - Rolling Stone

Ax FTW :up: :up: :up: :applaud:

Very interesting.

Apparently it is now, so do I get any winnings? I accept either cash or beer.

Apparently it is now, so do I get any winnings? I accept either cash or beer.

If you get both, you should give the beer to me (unless it's Heineken or Schlitz).

P.S. All you had to do was google words! I actually had to visit Wikipedia and read and stuff!

;]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom