How to meet the band this tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If Darren Hayes has filmed and posted 3 videos on his Instagram, you can guess how well you would go on any on-stage opportunity or venture.

Willie Williams was involved with the Affirmation tour.

My apologies. I'm dealing with a severe concussion at the moment and I am forgetting my own rules.

Tone does not come across properly in text unless you know the person. I did not mean to sound like it probably does to everyone else.

Mea culpa. I'm sorry.

Here's a quick guideline:

If you want to meet Edge: go to that local store where all the hipsters buy their beanies.

Adam: go to all the local art galleries.

Bono: go to the best buffet line in town.

Larry: wherever you go don't be standing on a board, he won't be there.

There are many lurkers during tour time. You can see facebook groups would be a better place to get functional answers.

Whilst I was hoping for 2017 band arrival timings (and maybe even pictures), here's my "meet the band" experience from 1 show in 2015, also based on stuff I've read on friendly platforms.

- The band will drive into the "loading dock" or "garage" entrance of the stadium. Usually located away (or on opposite side) of GA line. Circle the outside of the stadium on foot and look for a crowd of people waiting.
- Expect the band to start arriving at 3pm local time. So, you should join the waiting crowd by 2pm latest. At 2pm, you might not be close enough to for a handshake, but you could still wave at the band.
- All 4 band members will arrive in separate vehicles, spaced out over 30min - 1 hour (from 1st to 4th guy). From reading experiences, Bono is always one of the later ones/last band member to arrive. Black cars with tinted windows. Of course, not every black car driving into stadium's restricted underground entrance carries a band member. Some carry family members, suits, the opening band, etc (who cares). From my 1 show, Bono, Edge and Larry favored a Lincoln SUV. Adam, being the posh one, came in a Mercedes sedan.

- BE CALM, BE QUIET, LOOK EXCITED, WAVE & SMILE. (ie: show you're a real fan). If the band hears any shrieking/shrillness/hysterics, they won't exit their car. They'd worry about their safety.

- Security (some are the band's securitymen, some are the venue's) might reward the obedient fans upfront and tell them "ETA 15 minutes" or something. Even if you're not standing upfront, keep your ears open, listen to the crowd.

- Be respectful, don't shove (the band will leave quick, even though they are on the other side of the barrier). Respect their bodyguards and all security.

- if it's raining, forget it. The band won't exit their cars. Who wants to voluntarily get wet?
- bring a newspaper to read. sit down, get comfy. It's a long wait.
- Sometimes all you get is Bono being driven by with the windows rolled down & waving. That's all I got. It's cool. They have no obligation to stop and get out. Sometimes they have rehearsals, meetings (like we do at our jobs lol), local interviews/journalists to get to.

Any more functional tips/experiences to add? Maybe the plebans really did run off to facebook groups.

How to meet the band before the show?

Hi everyone,

I am going to the MetLife Stadium show tonight, and given that I have off all day, want to try and meet the band as they arrive.

I heard somewhere they arrive around 3pm to the service entrance, is that true? Should I see a crowd around that area?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I am going to the MetLife Stadium show tonight, and given that I have off all day, want to try and meet the band as they arrive.

I heard somewhere they arrive around 3pm to the service entrance, is that true? Should I see a crowd around that area?

Thanks

Hey wow, you're so lucky to actually have received a decent response. See my bullet point list of tips above. They have been arriving late to the stadium 4-5pm and even later. Good luck.

I saw Bono once this year, that's all I need from here.

I'm moving my post to the GA bitching thread. I really shouldn't hijack this one bitching about serial band meeters. I wish everyone luck who has never met them before!

Last edited:
I have never met them. It would be cool as hell to get to, I suppose. But I am not going to expend effort to do so, especially just to "see" them, not really meet them. Them walking by, eyes glazed over, looking off in the distance, shaking a hand isn't exactly meeting them. I love their work...obsessively even...but they are just people. They are fascinating and have experienced like few humans get to, and it would be amazing to share a pint and a story or 10 with them. But you aren't exactly going to get that in the high five line walking into the stadium.

So, I guess I stick to I would love to meet them, but whatever that is that happens outside the stadium is not "meeting" them. It is seeing them without a stage. Which would also be cool if random, but not if it took time away from my life to queue up in the hopes of seeing them or actually touching them.

But I am sure there are things that interest me that others couldn't give a shit about or understand, so to those who wish to catch a glimpse outside the stadium, good luck...and I mean that. If you want that, I sure hope you get what you are looking for. Sincerely.

Hey wow, you're so lucky to actually have received a decent response. See my bullet point list of tips above. They have been arriving late to the stadium 4-5pm and even later. Good luck.

I saw Bono once this year, that's all I need from here.

Hey guys. So just wanted to share my story:

I arrived at 3pm and yep exactly as you said they didn't get there until 530ish. First the Edge and half an hour later Bono.

They stopped for autographs but not pictures. It was my first time "meeting" the band.

My whole experience though was ruined by these awful thugs standing next to me. They claimed I pushed them to take a spot. In reality there was a ton of pushing going on behind me and everyone was bumping into each other. There was an open spot between the two of them and I took it. Didn't know that it was a crime.

Anyway they spent the entire rest of the time threatening violence against me. While the Edge passed and afterwards when Bono came. Talked about how they're going to find me on the floor and kick my ass. How they'd beat me up now but don't feel like going to jail, etc. Such an unpleasant experience. :(

Sorry to hear that. U2 sure attracts its fair share of nutters.

Hey guys. So just wanted to share my story:

I arrived at 3pm and yep exactly as you said they didn't get there until 530ish. First the Edge and half an hour later Bono.

They stopped for autographs but not pictures. It was my first time "meeting" the band.

My whole experience though was ruined by these awful thugs standing next to me. They claimed I pushed them to take a spot. In reality there was a ton of pushing going on behind me and everyone was bumping into each other. There was an open spot between the two of them and I took it. Didn't know that it was a crime.

Anyway they spent the entire rest of the time threatening violence against me. While the Edge passed and afterwards when Bono came. Talked about how they're going to find me on the floor and kick my ass. How they'd beat me up now but don't feel like going to jail, etc. Such an unpleasant experience. :(
What a couple of first class fuckwits. Acting like that in full view of the band, god knows what they would have thought. Good on you for keeping your cool!
I was with some fans one time and we met Bono. Shortly before that Ali walked past and waited for a cab and some idiot fan ran toward her yelling her name! Everyone was telling him to cut it out. We're lucky the band even sometimes stop.

What a couple of first class fuckwits. Acting like that in full view of the band, god knows what they would have thought. Good on you for keeping your cool!
I was with some fans one time and we met Bono. Shortly before that Ali walked past and waited for a cab and some idiot fan ran toward her yelling her name! Everyone was telling him to cut it out. We're lucky the band even sometimes stop.
That's hilarious and scary with the Ali thing. WhyTH was she without security, waiting for a cab in public like a pleb? Spouses should get the sameish protection at the band at their concerts. Ali is a celeb with the U2 crowd. Was this quite a few tours ago?

That sucks. I wonder if the assholes were some of the notorious autograph hunters who take it to eBay. If they were actual fans, then booooo.

The craziest fans in the early stages of a band/artist ascent, when the members are still relatively accessible, are the ones that cause them to no longer be accessible.

An artist is known for popping out to talk to fans after a show. Sometimes even going out with a few to hit some pubs. Sure as shit, some unstable stable of asshats do crazy shit that cause the artist to rethink his/her accessibility, and those crazy ones are the first ones to freak out on social media about how the artist has "sold out" and gotten snobby.

Just treat them like people and they might just treat you like people. But when gatherings to catch a glimpse of the band turn into violent jockeying for position, it's in the best interest of their fans, ironically, for them to not be accessible.

Back
Top Bottom