U2 KROQ Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seriously. How terrible could your experience have possibly been if you weren't front row for this? It's hilarious that we're having this line nazi argument at a 500 person venue of all places.

This.

The lineup really didn't matter. When we got in there was a pack against the stage maybe 6 people deep. Others were getting beers, going to the restroom, etc. I watched people who came in later wiggle their way to the front just like any small club show in LA on any given night. I chose not to do that so I could soak everything in (I'm getting too old to be crammed together in the heart of the pit for hours anyway, lol). Just about everyone in the entire place got splattered with water when Bono decided to empty his water bottle on the crowd several times - that's how small the Roxy is.

I've gone from bleeding with envy to crying of envy. :(

Kidding. (Mostly.) I'm loving seeing friends' pictures on Facebook and the videos that are popping up.

actually, the fans who think they are more important or special are the ones who show up when doors open or when an official time is listed, and still expect to be in the front.

Those of us who line up are the ones who believe entry should be on first come-first in.

I don't know what world you live in but this is impossible in GA. If you want a guaranteed spot there are these fancy things at most concerts called "seats" otherwise its a crap shoot and you are lying to yourself if you think it isn't.

Romi and Vik are going to cross paths one of these days and Vik is going to slap the shit out of Romi's precious little list.

You make these comments not even knowing how we did it. Absolutely no one had to be there. There were no check-ins, no time restrictions. All you had to do was give a name, your friend's name, and leave until 5:30. The only ones who stuck around are those who wanted to.

Lol.

Oh, you list Nazis. You're all so cute

1) I saw / talked to plenty of celebs that appeared to be legitimate fans. Perfect example was Kevin Smith. Really nice guy and huge fan. There was definitely the share of that group that was there for the novelty (Courtney Love) but I don't think you can say that about all of them. They may have not won tickets the hard way or waited in line, but hey, if I was a celeb and a U2 fan I'd use whatever means I had to get into that gig!

2) There were some complaints (not me) albeit they weren't "fired up". More like "grumbling" lol. I didn't get there until 5:30ish, since I live an hour and a half away (2 with traffic) and couldn't leave until 3:30. There were people in my part of the line that indeed were a little upset that the no lineup before 5:30 thing didn't happen. I don't really care - if you are able to get there early and do it - more power to you. I have kids to feed and bills to pay so no matter what gig it is that comes first for me. I was just happy to be in the door. Glad that it was someone organized like you Romi running the line, because there would have been a lineup no matter what.

3) Amazing gig no matter where you were in the building. 'nuff said.

I've heard Kevin Smith talking about U2 a few times before and he sounded like anything but a huge U2 fan, maybe he's changed his tune.

It was nice to see U2 mix things up at KROQ gig. What was the idea behind playing so many early songs? Paying honour to punk rock beinnings in clubs? It´s a bit weird they played only 2 songs from new record, but perhaps it was only because this occassion required different type of songs? What I don´t get is why they insist so much on Sunday, that song has been so overplayed during last tours and it sounds so old fashioned in whatever version...

Wholeheartedly agree that U2 needs to keep doing shows like this.

No kidding. Hopefully they are noticing how overwhelmingly positive the press for this gig is, and how absent of the has-been/dad rock snark many of tour reviews have shown this far.

What I don´t get is why they insist so much on Sunday, that song has been so overplayed during last tours and it sounds so old fashioned in whatever version...

I will always love SBS and the different incarnations over the years have been cool to hear. But I agree, if they are going to play it the traditional way, it needs to be faster. There was barely any urgency in last night's performance. It's almost like the reggae-ish version from Elevation (or Vertigo?) has permanently slowed the song down.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

No kidding. Hopefully they are noticing how overwhelmingly positive the press for this gig is, and how absent of the has-been/dad rock snark many of tour reviews have shown this far.

I haven't seen any has been stuff said in any press reviews to this tour?

Wholeheartedly agree that U2 needs to keep doing shows like this, but I hope they take the tickets out of the hands of the radio stations next time and leave it up to the fan club. So that, you know, FANS who pay membership fees get something good out the deal.

Two guys that I follow on twitter got to go thanks to a raffle on the zootopia forums (that was available for paid members), I don't know how many tickets they gave away that way (of course waaay less than the radio station).

I think the Zootopia raffle might be how another acquaintance of mine got in. She just posted about getting it through U2.com.

If you want a guaranteed spot there are these fancy things at most concerts called "seats"

Mic-Drop.gif

I think the Zootopia raffle might be how another acquaintance of mine got in. She just posted about getting it through U2.com.

It would have been nice of U2.com to notify us paid subscribers of this contest. I found out about it yesterday evening.

What? Really? Maybe I should use my membership once in a while :uhoh:

Yeah, I wasn't happy when I heard there was a contest that wasn't sent out to subscribers.

It would have been nice of U2.com to notify us paid subscribers of this contest. I found out about it yesterday evening.

Yeah, I wasn't happy when I heard there was a contest that wasn't sent out to subscribers.

To local subscribers if I'm going dream.

I am still so emotionally drained from the contest...all of the contests that I knew of. Lord knows I tried. We all desperately tried
:grouphug:

I think they sort of 'owed' KROQ for not being able to do their acoustic event last Christmastime, so it makes sense that the tickets had to be won through KROQ, and not U2.com members.

To those who have a problem with the list that Romi and Sil were running, maybe you aren't aware that the venue had a VERY strict "no early lineups" policy in place yesterday. I was the fourth person to arrive yesterday, at 9:45 am, and I immediately saw them coming over to tap to us and tell us that lineups weren't going to be allowed, not even on adjacent properties. So we told them that we'd like to keep two people in the lineup spot who could take the names of fans who I arrive early and inform them that they aren't allowed to line up yet, but the list would give them their place in line once it was allowed. The two people in that spot also were directing those who were hoping to get tickets to the guy running the standby list (me), who had set up shop at a bus stop across the street from the venue. No favors were done for any friends with these lists - the lists were necessary to avoid security/police action, and they definitely kept things civil and organized for the event.

It wasn't necessary. The security didn't want you lining up before 5:30. What's so hard about coming back when you're supposed to be there?

I think they sort of 'owed' KROQ for not being able to do their acoustic event last Christmastime, so it makes sense that the tickets had to be won through KROQ, and not U2.com members.

And that made it worse for me. I had tickets to that Almost Acoustic Christmas, but after 2 agonizing weeks of calling KROQ 12 hours a day, was shut out. Seriously just putting the damn tickets on sale and having it sell out instantly would have been way less painful.

So just say for instance I seen that you couldn't line up until 5:30 didn't check any other site all day, arrived earlier than the line nazis and took my spot at the front of the line, do you really expect me to leave my spot because you say you decided to make a list at 9am? Na don't think so

And that made it worse for me. I had tickets to that Almost Acoustic Christmas, but after 2 agonizing weeks of calling KROQ 12 hours a day, was shut out. Seriously just putting the damn tickets on sale and having it sell out instantly would have been way less painful.

Me too.

When Tom Petty's residency at the Fonda happened, first dibs went to fan club members which I was ok with even though I was ineligible.

Even the most recent Rolling Stones show at the Fonda was a free for all and though I didn't get tickets in time, it didn't hurt as much as this since I too had a ticket to acoustic Xmas. It's just hard to hear it referred to as a "make up".

That said, I hope U2 does play tiny gigs more often. Maybe lightning will strike twice in LA and they do it again here one day with a different method of distributing tickets

It wasn't necessary. The security didn't want you lining up before 5:30. What's so hard about coming back when you're supposed to be there?

Because that way they wouldn't unfairly guarantee they got what they wanted. Do try and keep up Ashley

You make these comments not even knowing how we did it. Absolutely no one had to be there. There were no check-ins, no time restrictions. All you had to do was give a name, your friend's name, and leave until 5:30. The only ones who stuck around are those who wanted to.

To those who have a problem with the list that Romi and Sil were running, maybe you aren't aware that the venue had a VERY strict "no early lineups" policy in place yesterday. I was the fourth person to arrive yesterday, at 9:45 am, and I immediately saw them coming over to tap to us and tell us that lineups weren't going to be allowed, not even on adjacent properties. So we told them that we'd like to keep two people in the lineup spot who could take the names of fans who I arrive early and inform them that they aren't allowed to line up yet, but the list would give them their place in line once it was allowed. The two people in that spot also were directing those who were hoping to get tickets to the guy running the standby list (me), who had set up shop at a bus stop across the street from the venue. No favors were done for any friends with these lists - the lists were necessary to avoid security/police action, and they definitely kept things civil and organized for the event.

I've been dealing with people like you since Elevation, and you all make me sick to varying degrees. You may think you're all good people, providing service to the fan community, whatever. But it's favoritism and entitlement, plain and simple. You're the Type-A people that everyone outside your circle in high school hated, and you've chosen to continue that behavior into adult life.

It's also a case of gluttony; no matter how many times you get a spot on the rail, get a photo with or autograph from a band member, it's never enough. You need this pathetic validation for every show on every tour, proving your worth over other fans. You're the same type of people who sat down during the Boston Elevation taping when the band became aware of your bullshit and took action. It's a shame they don't do it again. It's a shame your stupid lists don't get taken away and torn up at every show.

You're Line Nazis. Not true fans. Not good people. And you don't even legitimately earn your spots by waiting in line, instead relying on your bourgeois, phony placeholder lists while those not in the know physically wait all day while you're taking a powder with others of your ilk.

And there are many, many here who feel this way. Basically everyone who isn't inside your sad little VIP circle

What would actually of happened If someone arrived earlier than the rail nazis yesterday? Do they really believe they could have just walked to the front because they had a list?

Back
Top Bottom