July 14, 2011 - Lincoln Financial Field - Philadelphia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I will be hitting up Six Flags Great Adventure between the Philly and Jersey shows - Anyone else gonna do the same? We're also hitting a couple others up between some other shows with the Season Pass

I have a seat for this show. Even so, I know I'm still going to be exhausted after a full work day AND a U2 concert. But if I'm still wide awake afterwards, I'll stop by the theater in my neighborhood, and hopefully I won't fall asleep watching the movie.

Kinda struggling to find a place suitable to stay at for Philly..was thinking of going the direction Shawn's going and staying near the airport, but am concerned as to how to get to / from the stadium (I'm assuming taxis will be a nightmare?)

Was going to go the cheap route and stay at a hostel, but it's a bit of a distance from the stadium .. Any advice from those who know Philly a bit better? :wave:

staying at the airport is the most convenient option for people who have cars to go to the stadium. the hotels are cheaper than downtown, and the stadium is only about 2 exits away on I-95 from the airport. I don't know if there are taxis available in the area.

the most convenient public transportation in Philly is the subway/regional rail. It's run by SEPTA, which also runs the city buses. There is a regional rail train from the airport to the city. Then from the city it looks like you can take the Broad Line subway to the stadium. It's kind of a roundabout way to do it, but that's the only one I know. Can you maybe call/email the hotels and check what kind of transportation options they have available to the stadium?

staying at the airport is the most convenient option for people who have cars to go to the stadium. the hotels are cheaper than downtown, and the stadium is only about 2 exits away on I-95 from the airport. I don't know if there are taxis available in the area.

the most convenient public transportation in Philly is the subway/regional rail. It's run by SEPTA, which also runs the city buses. There is a regional rail train from the airport to the city. Then from the city it looks like you can take the Broad Line subway to the stadium. It's kind of a roundabout way to do it, but that's the only one I know. Can you maybe call/email the hotels and check what kind of transportation options they have available to the stadium?

Yeah thanks heaps for your advice vjacqb! I'll be sure to do some more thorough research! Philadeplhia seems like a great city, just got to figure out how to navigate it! :wink: Thanks for the link!

Anyone staying at the Holiday Inn right by the stadium?

They're charging me an arm and a leg. But I figured it would be worth it if I need to take a break from the GA line.

We are staying there. Got a decent rate that they were able to hold for me. I had reserved last summer and when the tour was cancelled they promised to hold the room and the rate.

We are staying there. Got a decent rate that they were able to hold for me. I had reserved last summer and when the tour was cancelled they promised to hold the room and the rate.

That sounds awesome.:)

I'm thinking about camping out the night before- just to witness the free lightshow when the U2 crew tests out all of the Claw's lights.:hmm:

^I don't know of any others right by the stadium. South Philly is essentially no man's land.

You could try Alma's suggestion of staying at a hotel near the airport and using the SEPTA to the stadium.

Anyone know of any hotels besides the Holiday Inn that are really close to the stadium? They're all booked up for 14th :(

Sorry, there really isn't any other hotel within walking distance to the stadium. I don't understand why they don't build more hotels around the stadium complex. They certainly have the land for it.

Are you going to have a car? If you are, hotels near the airport is your next best choice. They're within 5 miles of the stadium, easy in/out.

If you rely on public transportation, I think a better choice would be to stay downtown, somewhere along Broad Street. The hotels are quite expensive ($150+/night) but the area is great, plenty of things to do, bars/restaurants to choose from, and they're close to the Broad Street Line subway that you can take to the stadium. And if you're coming to the city by train, 30th street station in Philly is also only a few blocks away (or a couple of train stops) from Broad Street.

Some hotels near Broad street: Rodeway Inn, Doubletree Hotel, Radisson Warwick, The Independent Hotel, Hyatt Bellevue.

I think they haven't built hotels around there because there really isn't anything there other than the stadiums. But I imagine there will be at least one more hotel involved with the whole "Philly Live" thing going up on the old Spectrum grounds.

Yea I think the "Worlds Largest Sports Bar" is going up first, and is "suppose" to be done by the 2012 Phillies Home Opener. I can't see that happening, they are still working on the Spectrum

It is supposed to be this shopping mall type place with restaurants and bars and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom