July 23, 2011 - TCF Stadium - Minneapolis, MN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really wanted more, too, but I've got to learn to not get my hopes up.
(I predicted The Electric Co. before the Vertigo Tour, and should have retired after. I thought they would bring out Surrender for this tour. :shrug: )

Dude, don't even joke about that. I would lose my head if they played that live. It was THAT song that started this madness 28 years ago.

You would think he's an older guy if he didn't write like an 8 year old.

LOL. It was rude of them to come on at 9! You mean like every other show they've ever done? Yeah, any real fan that's been to more than a show or two knows that 9 is the standard.

I'm sure John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown band don't make their fans wait.

LMAO - LOVE IT! how very true. Clearly the guy had no clue about what he was talking about...

I'm no expert either but I think lightning will strike the highest place and then keep travelling until nothing can conduct it any longer. Sometimes it can jump to a person who is standing near. Which is why they tell you not to go under trees in a lightning storm but instead to crouch on the ground. Just sayin'. I'm sure there was a risk vs. benefits conversation somewhere and it was decided to go forth despite the risks. I'm sure the claw is grounded because it shelters the band.

The U had said they were in constant contact with the NWS throughout the gig and were being kept informed as to the specific location of the lightening. That it was all "well out of range" and so they could continue in safety.

Loved how the whole weather mess just fueled the atmosphere! :sexywink:

LMAO - LOVE IT! how very true. Clearly the guy had no clue about what he was talking about...

And I especially like when cynical fans act like their city got stiffed. Why? Cause they didn't play NYD or Desire or Angel of Harlem or other songs from your Best Of CD?

And I especially like when cynical fans act like their city got stiffed. Why? Cause they didn't play NYD or Desire or Angel of Harlem or other songs from your Best Of CD?

So does that mean I get to bitch that they didn't play Magnificent again? :sexywink:

Don't know about you, but even without the one song I wanted to hear and even with Pride (my least favorite) it was a hell of a show and I really couldn't have asked for a better one to go out on.

So let the cynics wallow in whatever it is they're wallowing in - we got a HELL of a show Saturday.

I took about 80 photos on my better camera and took it out and put it away in between rain and have about 80 photos. I can post some of the better ones if there's interest!

The show was amazing. Elevation Jason and I had a terrible time getting back to Uptown. We walked all the way to downtown Minneapolis from the stadium before finding a cab that wasn't full, about 3+ miles in total. Hopefully the U will sort this out for a future event.

Cheers!

The U had said they were in constant contact with the NWS throughout the gig and were being kept informed as to the specific location of the lightening. That it was all "well out of range" and so they could continue in safety.

Cool, thanks for the info!

You would think he's an older guy if he didn't write like an 8 year old.

LOL. It was rude of them to come on at 9! You mean like every other show they've ever done? Yeah, any real fan that's been to more than a show or two knows that 9 is the standard.

I'm sure John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown band don't make their fans wait.

I wonder how many emails he's gotten along the lines of "they never start playing at 8 you idiot".

I'm remembering some more times...

1. Showing up to the GA line Friday at 1pm pretty hammered (had been drinking on a party bus since 8 am...)

2. I looked around the stadium during Mysterious Ways, Still Haven't Found, BD, Streets to take in the crowd and just see how happy everyone was, despite the rain.

3. As the band was starting "I Will Follow" I started yelling "HEY HEY HEY" similar to the Milan DVD and pretty soon people started saying it too

4. I told a security guard behind me to turn around and see the crowd a few times, his reaction was :ohmy: at times

5. The only two people enjoying Interpol were older ladies, the rest of the crowd was not into it. My buddy yelled "Woo!" after a song and I told him "Dude, stop it, you're encouraging them" :wink:

Loved how the whole weather mess just fueled the atmosphere! :sexywink:

The Moody Blues would never let it rain.

How could a person eat during a U2 show?! That is what I always wondered..... I saw a lady in Chicago down 4 hotdogs and 2 nachos during their show in 09. That was my first and only seated experience:) Sorry to get off topic....

I can certainly understand eating before the show starts. We got to the Tea House by the Days Inn just in time, at 4:30 - a half hour later there was a long wait. I can imagine everywhere else was packed for hours before the show.

Had we not been able to find anywhere to eat without driving, we might have just gone to the stadium and eaten overpriced hot dogs or whatever.

I did see someone with fried cheese curds. :drool: I love the midwest.

My friend and I went to both nights of the 2005 DVD shoot. The first night, we had some of the better seats in the house. While we enjoyed ourselves, we were glad we had GA for the next night . . . People in the seats were on CONSTANT beer runs. Give me a break.

Do you think anyone made beer runs, took it back to their seats mid downpour, and then returned to the counter to complain "Hey, this is really watered down." ?

(boom TISH)

Don't feel bad, blackhawksjon. This was my first seated experience, and hopefully my last. Had way, way, WAY too much fun on the Chicago outer rail to deal with long-distance seating again.

MsMcLeod, I'm sure the U and NWS MSP were in constant discussion, but I still feel like they were playing fast and loose with Mama Nature. Lightning is a very strange thing. It follows whatever the path of least resistance is at that particular moment. Sometimes that path is to the tallest object in the vicinity (light towers, press box, The Claw), sometimes it's to a point 25 miles from the source. That's why most major athletic organizations have rules about lightning. Quite frankly, that's the main reason why I moved (not for want of getting wet, but to avoid getting fried).

That said, the rotten weather added so much to the atmosphere at the New Brickhouse Saturday night. Chicago was a mind-boggling show, and this was awesome in a completely different way.

My friend and I went to both nights of the 2005 DVD shoot. The first night, we had some of the better seats in the house. While we enjoyed ourselves, we were glad we had GA for the next night . . . People in the seats were on CONSTANT beer runs. Give me a break.

I don't understand why everyone is so obsessed with drinking at sporting events. You're paying $10 for sixteen fluid ounces of watered-down crud. For football games, get trashed beforehand and use the time in stadium to dry out!

To me, it makes even less sense for a U2 concert! Brewers game, yes, by all means - get smashed. But U2? You don't need alcohol to enjoy it.

Which reminds me . . . There was one guy there, maybe in his early thirties, who I swear was drunk for at least 24 hours straight. He showed up to the GA line drunk, spent the whole day drunk, was even drunker near go-time for GA entry and looked completely s**tfaced when he finally found his way into the pit. He made a spectacle/ass of himself pretty much all day. He probably had no idea where he was when the band actually came on.

This That said, the rotten weather added so much to the atmosphere at the New Brickhouse Saturday night. Chicago was a mind-boggling show, and this was awesome in a completely different way.

Why is that do you think? This is the only show I've seen on the tour and of course it was in a major thunderstorm so I have nothing to compare it to. Did they move about the stage differently? Sing differently? Was the crowd more/less pumped. Just curious. Sounds like the setlist was virtually the same with the exception of another closing song. I thought that was a bummer but I think they'd HAD IT by that point with the rain and all the technical difficulties.

I'm with ya on the "fast and loose" analysis. I think that the logistics of clearing the stadium was just too much so they said LET IT RIDE and cross your fingers. Yikes..

To me, it makes even less sense for a U2 concert! Brewers game, yes, by all means - get smashed. But U2? You don't need alcohol to enjoy it.

Which reminds me . . . There was one guy there, maybe in his early thirties, who I swear was drunk for at least 24 hours straight. He showed up to the GA line drunk, spent the whole day drunk, was even drunker near go-time for GA entry and looked completely s**tfaced when he finally found his way into the pit. He made a spectacle/ass of himself pretty much all day. He probably had no idea where he was when the band actually came on.

Was this guy on the back rail of the pit? I saw a guy that was so hammered he couldn't even complete a sentence!:crack:

Was this guy on the back rail of the pit? I saw a guy that was so hammered he couldn't even complete a sentence!:crack:

I haven't drank at a show in ages. I like to enjoy the performance. It is fine to as long as it doesn't affect others around you and their enjoyment of the show. BTW....is it the weekend yet!?

Aww that's messed up. And to think this is a uni campus. Maybe he snuck a flask in or something, eh?

I smelt pot between Interpol and U2. Actually, I didn't notice it cos I don't know what pot smells like:reject:, but the people beside me were like, "hmm, pot.":wink:

He attempted to jump in line, he was #114 and I was #68... needless to say, we had a few people on him, and then even security started talking to him...

That might have been me, but I was wearing my black Vertigo 05 shirt Saturday... I rolled into the GA line @ 1 pm Friday and I was smashed, but I was sober for the show... the other drunk guy had a back pack, green shirt and a cap on...

Back
Top Bottom