U2 and Bono criticised for carbon footprint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a joke guys. Jeeze. Tough room. By dropping Pride they will cut approximately 4 minutes and 30 seconds from their concert length, thus reducing the amount of electricity the tour consumes by a minuscule fraction. I think this is a good idea. lol.

It's a joke guys. Jeeze. Tough room. By dropping Pride they will cut approximately 4 minutes and 30 seconds from their concert length, thus reducing the amount of electricity the tour consumes by a minuscule fraction. I think this is a good idea. lol.

But if the show was shorter and Pride got dropped imagine the amount of posts it would generate in here. All the bitching about a shorter show, or the "OMG They Dropped Pride", "U2 have lost their Pride", "Bono doesn't like black people" threads the amount of internet space taken up by these silly threads would quickly outweigh the 4 1/2 minutes of energy they would save every night.

But if the show was shorter and Pride got dropped imagine the amount of posts it would generate in here. All the bitching about a shorter show, or the "OMG They Dropped Pride", "U2 have lost their Pride", "Bono doesn't like black people" threads the amount of internet space taken up by these silly threads would quickly outweigh the 4 1/2 minutes of energy they would save every night.

Agreed.

You forgot "U2 hide PITNOL medication from us! Now where will we get our daily dose of pitnol now?" :wink:

U2 did their bit during ZooTV, with their recording of Until The End of The World with that Green travelling recording studio from GreenPeace and with the support act in The Disposable Heroes of HipHopricy

too bad the GreenPeace Alternative NRG album had a huge carbon footprint of its own by the required transportation of the mobile recording truck and the mass destruction of the millions of CDs that didn't sell.

they don't do this every year. U2 tour comes around every 4-5 years so whats the problem. Bands need to tour

F:censored:k the Revolution let all life on planet earth die so us bastard U2 fans could watch Bono and the boys single handedly destroy life on this planet as we know it.

You have to give the total two thumbs up for Edge not only being apart of this travesty of a tour but also laying waste to the Southern California area.

:wink:

The stink's not that bad. I live downtown and travel all over the city on bike and foot and there are some spots that are unpleasant, but it doesn't travel much and isn't the disaster (yet) that the anti-union media and their moron followers would have you think. People started freaking the day the strike began.

Anyway, the matter at hand: they (U2) are doing a lot of harm and it is possible to do a borderline carbon neutral tour, but since they only do it for four out of every ten years...maybe six actually: o1/o2, o5/o6 and now o9/10...still, the damage being done to living things that are not U2's collective liver is naught compared to ALL YOU SUV DRIVERS and our UNECCESASARY DEPENDANCE ON COAL and OIL!!! Anyone who thinks climate change is not real is a fucking retard...anyway...cheers to Ultraviolet. Wicked tune, and Bono sounds good.

Yes, I think we are doing harm to our planet, but on the other hand, it's us that is DEAD, Earth will be fine. So they shouldn't call it Global Warming, but We Are Going to Die Soon so people would care.

As for this -- I think it's stupid. It's like when they criticize Al Gore for flying around the world to tell people that there is a problem. But the people reporting that are either on TV using more carbon emissions. It took energy to make the paper to print out the bashing article.

And nothing is as stupid as "offsets." It's not changing the behavior to save the world, it's saying, plant some trees to forgive me because I don't want to change my life at all.

Yes, I think there's a problem, but I'm not a tree hugger either. I fall in that logic category. It's not U2 tour that is the problem it's the energy we use in general. We can make cars that don't require gasoline, but we just don't do it. It's one of the hose things that requires governments to get involved and force the issue. It's never going to matter if a few people do it.

Anyway, the matter at hand: they (U2) are doing a lot of harm and it is possible to do a borderline carbon neutral tour, but since they only do it for four out of every ten years...maybe six actually: o1/o2, o5/o6 and now o9/10...still, the damage being done to living things that are not U2's collective liver is naught compared to ALL YOU SUV DRIVERS and our UNECCESASARY DEPENDANCE ON COAL and OIL!!! Anyone who thinks climate change is not real is a fucking retard...anyway...cheers to Ultraviolet. Wicked tune, and Bono sounds good.

why single out SUV drivers? Don't all vehicles cause some level of pollution? Even those godawful smart cars were manufactured in a plant somewhere that probably pollutes the enviornment, kind of like these computers we all use to type out our frustrations... so what really is the point here?

Fuck it, lets have some fun. :hug:

Live nation committed to net zero emissions goal for 36o tour

LIVE NATION COMMITTED TO NET ZERO EMISSIONS GOAL FOR 36O TOUR:

"Live Nation Global Touring, the producers of the U2 360° Tour, have confirmed
their commitment to producing the largest concert tour in history in an
environmentally responsible manner with a goal of balancing the Tour's direct
carbon footprint through a comprehensive reduction and offset strategy.

Live Nation Global Touring brought MusicMatters on board in March to be the
tour's official Environmental Advisor. MusicMatters pioneered, and continues
to be the world leader for, environmental impact reduction of music tours and
festivals.

"We identified areas the tour could first and foremost REDUCE its
environmental impact without compromising the quality of the fan experience.
We are now in the process of implementing these recommendations with Live
Nation Global Touring. Next we will announce a customized U2 360° Tour
OFFSET strategy, reflecting the band's robust social change commitment, to
offset the remaining tour emissions," said Michael Martin, MusicMatters'
Founder and President.

More information will be released as the tour progresses around the world,
sharing the global impact of the sustainability initiatives taken."

U2.com

A different perspective... divide 159,000 years between the roughly 3.5 million people who'll see the tour (is 80,000 each night a fair guess?), and that's about 16.5 days each.

While those 3.5 million people sit in a stadium for several hours they aren't at home with lights on, watching TV, cooking meals, using computers etc. I wonder if the calculations took that into account?

When I fly to Chicago for that long weekend this September, I'm going to leave all my lights on and appliances running back home in Seattle.

You know, just doing my part and all.

Nice one U2
Who gives a fuck about global warming, climate change and all that bollocks?

Whats more important?
Saving a few people from drought/floods or a U2 gig

U2 all the way

Us lot in the Proper countries will be ok

Everyone in the shit countries, well, goodbye

Nice one U2
Who gives a fuck about global warming, climate change and all that bollocks?

Whats more important?
Saving a few people from drought/floods or a U2 gig

U2 all the way

Us lot in the Proper countries will be ok

Everyone in the shit countries, well, goodbye

I realize you only say shit like this because you like getting a reaction but you do realize the majority of Great Britain would be under water if the poles where to melt right?

50 cent pollution offset for US leg?

has anyone heard about this??

from a new article in today's Observer:

Are U2 the last great rock'n'roll idealists? | Luke Bainbridge | Comment is free | The Observer

"A U2 gig is hard to surpass. But watching the show in Amsterdam last month, complete with a live link to the International Space Station, video message from Desmond Tutu and dedication to Aung San Suu Kyi, it felt like the most ambitious rock show ever and the last of a dying breed. It takes 120 trucks to transport the 390 ton stage and Carbonfootprint.com calculates the footprint of the tour would be equivalent to flying them to Mars and back. U2 are now planning to ask each American fan for an extra 50 cents , to help offset pollution, but it's clear such stadium tours are unsustainable or will become increasingly unacceptable."

Back
Top Bottom