US Politics VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sean Hannity is going after Jimmy Kimmel for making fun of Melania Trump's accent. Which I agree 100%, he should not have done. But where was Hannity when awful things were said about Michelle Obama? About her appearance, and blatantly racist things too.

Fox and Friends actually said that President Obama should tell Jimmy Kimmel to leave Melania alone. Something to that effect. They find the most bizarre ways to involve and blame him.

They said Sarah Huckabee Sanders is going to be there. Is there a more thankless job in the universe than her job? Probably not. Maybe cleaning Trump's toilet at Mar A Lago? :wink:

I'll give her credit, she's always very professionally dressed on camera. She's got it down-simple, monochromatic, strand of pearls. I always notice what she's wearing, I never pay attention to anything she's saying...because it's gobbledygook bs.

There’s not enough soap in the world to clean that mouth of bullshit. I don’t know to fear her or feel sorry for her...

So.... (so far?)
Mueller says Trump does not have criminal charges against him.

Do you think he's still trying to find any?
Is he still looking but being extremely quiet about it since he"s looked at so many people and different aspects of trumpworld.

I think Mueller, from day one, has been doing his job. Probably doesn't like Trump, but that doesn't mean he is trying to find criminal charges against him if they're not there. He's trying to pursue what he has evidence against, and amass more evidence. Probably Trump's kids or Kush.

So.... (so far?)
Mueller says Trump does not have criminal charges against him.

Do you think he's still trying to find any?
Is he still looking but being extremely quiet about it since he"s looked at so many people and different aspects of trumpworld.

Trump is still a subject of the investigation, which means he's a person of interest and his actions are within the scope of what Mueller is investigating, and his conduct could potentially be criminal. Whereas the target of an investigation is someone who the prosecutor believes has committed a crime, is likely to be charged, and there is substantial evidence to prove guilt.

The fact that that Trump isn't a target at the moment likely means that Mueller doesn't think he has enough evidence against Trump, now, to convict him of a crime (i.e. there's currently no "slam dunk" case).

Another possibility is that Trump isn't a "target" simply because Mueller has no intention of charging Trump with a crime because he's concluded he legally can't do so (it's generally agreed, and is the position of DOJ, that you can't indict a sitting President).

On the other hand, for a variety of reasons I don't find persuasive the argument advanced in some quarters that Mueller isn't calling Trump a target simply to keep the President from firing him or trying to destroy evidence, or is attempting to "lure Trump into a false sense of security" in an effort to get him to speak under oath (the latter of which would possibly be unethical).

Again, Trump could certainly go from being a "subject" to a "target" at any time (these designations can be, ah, squishy), though for the moment this news would seem to undermine the breathless, and endless talk of smoking guns and open and shut cases. In any event, Trump isn't off the hook, and if I were his lawyer I'd still advise him against talking to the Special Counsel.

Last edited:
If Trump speaks under oath, we can add perjury to the series of slam dunks Mueller’s gonna drop on all of us.

Ka-pow!

Oh, he's there. He has a secret account. You only get to follow him if you're part of the Official Resistance, though.

I think Mueller, from day one, has been doing his job. Probably doesn't like Trump, but that doesn't mean he is trying to find criminal charges against him if they're not there. He's trying to pursue what he has evidence against, and amass more evidence. Probably Trump's kids or Kush.

I was in a rush to post before my battery ran out (must recharge my portable power pack) that my comment was a bit unuanced

No, of course, I don't think Mueller is going to "find" criminal charges if it they are not there (as far as Trump goes).
Trump is still a subject of the investigation, which means he's a person of interest and his actions are within the scope of what Mueller is investigating, and his conduct could potentially be criminal. Whereas the target of an investigation is someone who the prosecutor believes has committed a crime, is likely to be charged, and there is substantial evidence to prove guilt.

The fact that that Trump isn't a target at the moment likely means that Mueller doesn't think he has enough evidence against Trump, now, to convict him of a crime (i.e. there's currently no "slam dunk" case).

Another possibility is that Trump isn't a "target" simply because Mueller has no intention of charging Trump with a crime because he's concluded he legally can't do so (it's generally agreed, and is the position of DOJ, that you can't indict a sitting President).

On the other hand, for a variety of reasons I don't find persuasive the argument advanced in some quarters that Mueller isn't calling Trump a target simply to keep the President from firing him or trying to destroy evidence, or is attempting to "lure Trump into a false sense of security" in an effort to get him to speak under oath (the latter of which would possibly be unethical).

Again, Trump could certainly go from being a "subject" to a "target" at any time (these designations can be, ah, squishy), though for the moment this news would seem to undermine the breathless, and endless talk of smoking guns and open and shut cases. In any event, Trump isn't off the hook, and if I were his lawyer I'd still advise him against talking to the Special Counsel.

Oh, yeaaah, I forgot about not being able to proceed with criminal charges (in general) agspainst a sitting President- thus hopes of impeachment instead.

Yes, it is true he still might go from "subject" to "target" as some point. We'll find out at some point. Still orange Donnie acts like he's hiding something (besides his taxes ;) ).

Last edited:
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that.

Did you know him IRL, BVS? Just curious as to how you heard about his passing.

That is really too bad. He was a teacher right? His postings gave me the impression he was older, maybe close to retirement at his school....but that's complete guesswork.

Has made me think that a lot of us have been here on this site for over 20 years, so as we get older stuff like this probably becomes a little more common.

As Irvine mentioned, I hope his family and friends are doing ok

I'm sorry to read that he passed away, that's sad. I wonder if he was ill, reading through some of his last posts in his thread...some of it indicates thoughts about that sort of thing.

Things in my life unfortunately make me have death and dying and end of life constantly on my mind. You just never know. Appreciate life and people while you can.

oh my goodness. i'm quite surprised as i think i remember he wasn't that much older than me, although i obviously have no idea about his health status. we often disagreed on many things but there was no doubt that his heart was always in the right place. i hope it was peaceful for him and even though they will probably never see it my deepest condolences to his family and loved ones.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to read that he passed away, that's sad. I wonder if he was ill, reading through some of his last posts in his thread...some of it indicates thoughts about that sort of thing.

I looked at that also, and was thinking the same. :sad:

You just never know. Appreciate life and people while you can.

Amen.

Last edited:
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that.

Did you know him IRL, BVS? Just curious as to how you heard about his passing.

Just fb friends. He had just retired recently. One of his sons posted a couple of days ago asking for prayers and then this morning I saw that a family member had posted a picture and said he past yesterday. So it did seem somewhat sudden, for he hadn’t mentioned anything about being ill or anything, to my knowledge. A lot of his past students have been writing tributes to him today.

Just fb friends. He had just retired recently. One of his sons posted a couple of days ago asking for prayers and then this morning I saw that a family member had posted a picture and said he past yesterday. So it did seem somewhat sudden, for he hadn’t mentioned anything about being ill or anything, to my knowledge. A lot of his past students have been writing tributes to him today.

Ugh, what a shame.

oh my goodness. i'm quite surprised as i think i remember he wasn't that much older than me, although i obviously have no idea about his health status. we often disagreed on many things but there was no doubt that his heart was always in the right place. i hope it was peaceful for him and even though they will probably never see it my deepest condolences to his family and loved ones.

Very well said. Tough news.

RIP Iron Horse. No matter how far his opinions were from my own, I always believed he meant well, and I've got to take my hat off to a fellow teacher. He loved what he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom