US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8 - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2008, 10:12 PM   #601
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:56 AM
Bush Said To Give Orders Allowing Raids in Pakistan

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Bush secretly approved orders in July that for the first time allow American Special Operations forces to carry out ground assaults inside Pakistan without the prior approval of the Pakistani government, according to senior American officials.
Link
Quote:
Providing a potential sneak preview of his general election talking points, McCain asked, “Will we risk the confused leadership of an inexperienced candidate who once suggested bombing our ally, Pakistan?”
I await Strongbow telling us how happy he is that Obama has finally come around to McCain and Bush's long held position on bombing Pakistan without their government's approval.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #602
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Maybe the educated elite libruls devote their time reading more academic elitist works as opposed to lowest-common denominator political gotcha books.

this homo-communist-librul-elitist-urbanist-northeasterner just looks down his *nose* at the common flyover state folks.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:36 PM   #603
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFisher View Post
Is Biden trying to step aside?....

Political Radar: Biden: Hillary a Better Pick Than Me

"Make no mistake about this, Hillary Clinton is as qualified or more qualified than I am to be vice president of the United States of America. Let’s get that straight. She’s a truly close personal friend, she is qualified to be president of the United States of America, she’s easily qualified to be vice president of the United States of America, and quite frankly, it might have been a better pick than me. But she’s first rate, I mean that sincerely, she’s first rate, so let’s get that straight."

FAR BE IT FROM ME TO SPREAD RUMORS ... but it has been whispered that Biden has prostate cancer. again, I AM NOT ENDORSING THIS OR SAYING THAT IT IS TRUE NOR AM I SAYING ANYTHING AT ALL REALLY.

could be another fascinating wrinkle.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:37 PM   #604
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Well, if integrity and Sarah Palin are the things team Obama want to talk about, I'm sure the McCain campaign won't mind. You can't prove someone lacks integrity because of a flap over pigs, lies and lipstick, especially someone like John McCain. Acting like your running against Sarah Palin rather than John McCain also is unlikely to be a winning strategy.

how do you sleep?
Old 09-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #605
Refugee

Local Time: 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
Bush Said To Give Orders Allowing Raids in Pakistan

Link

I await Strongbow telling us how happy he is that Obama has finally come around to McCain and Bush's long held position on bombing Pakistan without their government's approval.

So your admitting that Obama was for bombing Pakistan without their approval?

Congratulations, perhaps you might have finally found one idea that Obama could say he was for before others decided to jump on board, although at a different time and because of changed conditions. The administration clearly weighed and considered the consequences of such actions, and had previously felt that the negative consequences of that type of action outweighed the benefits. But with the changes in the political situation in Pakistan, the inability or unwillingness of the Pakistani military to bring security to the border areas, and the increased insurgent activity from there, appears to have changed the caculation on this particular issue.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #606
Refugee

Local Time: 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Well not to spread any rumors, but today on a certain radio show they were talking about Obama's private meeting with Clinton in Harlem, some were speculating a change of VP to counteract McCain's pick and of course right radio had a field day with this... but there was a caller that claimed he "knew" Biden had cancer and that this may have been a meeting to discuss this. The caller was more than likely full of shit, or maybe he had read deep's post earlier about Biden... who knows
If the Dems do this it will look like the final act of desperation and will backfire on them tenfold.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #607
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Vest View Post
If the Dems do this it will look like the final act of desperation and will backfire on them tenfold.
They won't do it. I'd be shocked if they did it. Hilary doesn't want it.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #608
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:56 AM
Quote:
So your admitting that Obama was for bombing Pakistan without their approval?

Congratulations, perhaps you might have finally found one idea that Obama could say he was for before others decided to jump on board, although at a different time and because of changed conditions. The administration clearly weighed and considered the consequences of such actions, and had previously felt that the negative consequences of that type of action outweighed the benefits. But with the changes in the political situation in Pakistan, the inability or unwillingness of the Pakistani military to bring security to the border areas, and the increased insurgent activity from there, appears to have changed the caculation on this particular issue.
"admitting" seems a weird choice of words. With articles like these:

Quote:
"If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets and President Musharraf won't act, we will," Obama said.
it seemed pretty straightforward that he'd operate without Musharraf's approval if they had the intelligence.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:17 PM   #609
Blue Crack Supplier

Palin is still a sham. as those who excuse her inexperience like to remind us, it's still about the top of the ticket.

and when it comes to the top of the ticket, it's clear who the American people prefer.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #610
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
That's classic

Thank you, I thought you were actually serious for awhile.
No this is just Priceless,you think your right about everything so WTF ever...
Old 09-10-2008, 11:21 PM   #611
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybabe View Post
No this is just Priceless,it is going to be cause you think your right about everything so WTF ever...

here's your big chance ... can you offer us anything other than snark?
Old 09-10-2008, 11:23 PM   #612
Blue Crack Addict

That's not snark, it's just plain rudeness.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:24 PM   #613
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Vest View Post

McGovern did that in 1972 and many claim it increased Nixons margin of victory. Nixon won with 61% of the popular vote in 1972 to 38% for McGovern. But given the situation with Hillary, maybe this would be different.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:24 PM   #614
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
That's not snark, it's just plain rudeness.
my apologies.

with a VP nominee who has this as her chief political asset, i tend to get these things confused.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #615
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Palin is still a sham. as those who excuse her inexperience like to remind us, it's still about the top of the ticket.

and when it comes to the top of the ticket, it's clear who the American people prefer.
Thats a bit much to presume at this point considering the top of the Democratic ticket barely won his own party's nomination and although he had a small average lead of 3 points during the summer, that lead was still within the margin of error. Also, still no sign of the Obama Tsunami.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:36 PM   #616
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Thats a bit much to presume at this point considering the top of the Democratic ticket barely won his own party's nomination and although he had a small average lead of 3 points during the summer, that lead was still within the margin of error. Also, still no sign of the Obama Tsunami.
i know, right? with McCain's obvious experience, his GOP opponents being little more than freak show punchlines, and the fact that he was "right" on "the surge" and the super-cool $380 rimless running mate Sarah Palin has given him, on average, a tie in the polls, i guess we can conclude that Obama was just a flash in the pan?

or could it be that, when it all settles, most people will come to realize that Obama has actual policies to stand by and defend whereas McCain has sold his soul for some flash and sizzle, but what else?
Old 09-10-2008, 11:56 PM   #617
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:56 AM
but joe does botox and hairplugs.
that's flash and schnizzle.

<>
Old 09-10-2008, 11:57 PM   #618
Refugee

Quote:
i know, right? with McCain's obvious experience, his GOP opponents being little more than freak show punchlines, and the fact that he was "right" on "the surge" and the super-cool $380 rimless running mate Sarah Palin has given him, on average, a tie in the polls, i guess we can conclude that Obama was just a flash in the pan?
Hey, you were the one who claimed in early June that Obama's 6 point lead in the Gallup poll would be the closest McCain would ever get to him for the rest of the election season. This is the Democrats year remember, McCain is supposed to be defeated by a large margin. I mean it has to be a large margin since "McCain is a third Bush term", and "Bush is the worst President in US History". At this point, he shouldn't even be mentioning his opponent, let alone his running mate.

Quote:
or could it be that, when it all settles, most people will come to realize that Obama has actual policies to stand by and defend whereas McCain has sold his soul for some flash and sizzle, but what else?
McCain is NOT the one who has been wrong about Iraq from the begining like Obama. He was not for leaving Saddam in power, abandoning Iraq before it is rebuilt, did not claim certain counter insurgency strategies would make violence increase, and does not support splitting Iraq into different countries.

He is not going to raid the US defense budget to pay for pet domestic programs, or restrict free trade. Unlike Obama he actually does have a record of working with people in the other party and of opposing his own party on various issues.

I think these things will appeal to many Americans, but given that in modern times, the country rarely stays with one party for more than two terms, Obama already has a leg up, not because of anything he has actually proposed, but just because he is not apart of the party in the White House at the moment.

So yes, things could very well fizzle and Obama could walk across the finish line with New Mexico, Colorado and Iowa in his pocket, just enough to become President.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:16 AM   #619
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Hey, you were the one who claimed in early June that Obama's 6 point lead in the Gallup poll would be the closest McCain would ever get to him for the rest of the election season. This is the Democrats year remember, McCain is supposed to be defeated by a large margin. I mean it has to be a large margin since "McCain is a third Bush term", and "Bush is the worst President in US History". At this point, he shouldn't even be mentioning his opponent, let alone his running mate.

hey, kiddo, we all speculate. if you're so desperate to feel good about yourself that you're going to bring up speculation that, even at the time itself was labeled by me as speculation, go right ahead. it simply make syou look more pathetic.

McCain is a 3rd Bush term, and, yes, Bush is the worst president at least in my lifetime. why do you think he literally phoned in his address to the RNC? why do you think McCain didn't mention him in his acceptance speech? why do you think McCain won't mention him when he's stumping? why do you think McCain has tried to steal not just Iraq policy from Obama but the overall platform of "change" from him as well?

it is the Democrats year. they are set to win big time in congress. McCain spent his RNC repudiating everything Bush stood for. had it been any nominee other than McCain, the man the Bush people savaged in 2000, it wouldn't even be a contest.

Bush is poison. his policies are the worst we've ever had in my lifetime.

i know you know this.

Quote:
McCain is NOT the one who has been wrong about Iraq from the begining like Obama. He was not for leaving Saddam in power, abandoning Iraq before it is rebuilt, did not claim certain counter insurgency strategies would make violence increase, and does not support splitting Iraq into different countries.
oh, goodnes, STING, are you still going on about this? everyone knows that Iraq is over and the troops are coming home and that it was a mistake to begin with and the Bushies lied about everything to get us in there and it's been a colossal waste of money.

stop pretending like any serious person thinks any different.

Quote:
He is not going to raid the US defense budget to pay for pet domestic programs, or restrict free trade. Unlike Obama he actually does have a record of working with people in the other party and of opposing his own party on various issues.
wow, what original thought. eloquent, too.

Quote:
I think these things will appeal to many Americans, but given that in modern times, the country rarely stays with one party for more than two terms, Obama already has a leg up, not because of anything he has actually proposed, but just because he is not apart of the party in the White House at the moment.

i take this to mean that you, like me, think that Palin is a flash in the pan and that when things settle down and she's revealed to be the fraud that she is, and when you really look at the electoral math, you realize that this is Obama's election to lose.

which he could. i know you people are betting the farm on racism. as you always do.

Quote:
So yes, things could very well fizzle and Obama could walk across the finish line with New Mexico, Colorado and Iowa in his pocket, just enough to become President.

and race could be too much of a barrier and we could all be dumbed down by 24/7 cable news to the extend where garbage McCain outrages actually stick.

but i think you know as well as i do that on the issues Obama is far better for the country than McCain.

and if you had any sort of integrity, you'd denounce the current McCain campaign.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:08 AM   #620
Refugee

Quote:
hey, kiddo, we all speculate. if you're so desperate to feel good about yourself that you're going to bring up speculation that, even at the time itself was labeled by me as speculation, go right ahead. it simply make syou look more pathetic.
The above paragraph looks real good.

Quote:
McCain is a 3rd Bush term, and, yes, Bush is the worst president at least in my lifetime. why do you think he literally phoned in his address to the RNC? why do you think McCain didn't mention him in his acceptance speech? why do you think McCain won't mention him when he's stumping? why do you think McCain has tried to steal not just Iraq policy from Obama but the overall platform of "change" from him as well?
Just politics of the moment. No different then Harry Truman deciding not to run for re-election in 1952 in order to help is party.

Quote:
Bush is poison. his policies are the worst we've ever had in my lifetime.

i know you know this.
If that were the case, Bush never would have been re-elected in 2004. Nor would this country have removed two of the worst and most threatening regimes on the planet in Iraq and Afghanistan. Nor would the Bush administration have the 3rd lowest average poverty rate of any Presidential administration in history.

Quote:
oh, goodnes, STING, are you still going on about this? everyone knows that Iraq is over and the troops are coming home and that it was a mistake to begin with and the Bushies lied about everything to get us in there and it's been a colossal waste of money.

stop pretending like any serious person thinks any different.
Please, tell us all how Kuwait would be safer today if Saddam was still in power? Explain how the Persian Gulf would be safer if Saddam was still in power?

The United States continues to have 15 combat brigades on the ground in Iraq and while there have been amazing accomplishments over the past several years, there is still much that needs to be done and it would be risky to withdraw troops pre-maturely. McCain will only withdraw troops from Iraq as conditions on the ground there warrent their withdrawal. Obama continues to flip flop between getting out completely on a set timetable and advocating the Bush/McCain policy of only withdrawing when conditions warrent it.

When Obama met privately with General Patreus(for the first time I might add), Obama admitted the General did not agree with his ideas for Iraq over the next 12 months.

The majority of the military and national security experts continue to support the removal of Saddam and not withdrawing from Iraq until the Iraqi's can handle the situation on their own. Colin Powell, Norman Swartzkopf, Kenneth Pollack, Michael O'Halon, Meghan O'Sullivan all enormously knowledgeable people on the issue of Iraq continue to support Saddam's removal and the proper rebuilding of Iraq.

Instead of repeating outdated liberal talking points on Iraq, try reading a little history about Saddam and Iraq prior to 2003.

Quote:
i know you people are betting the farm on racism. as you always do

and race could be too much of a barrier and we could all be dumbed down by 24/7 cable news to the extend where garbage McCain outrages actually stick.
Well, at least we know what your excuses will be on November 5 if the Obama Tsunami does not wash McCain and all the Republicans away.

Quote:
but i think you know as well as i do that on the issues Obama is far better for the country than McCain.
Sorry, I don't want someone in the White House who thinks Kuwait, the Persian Gulf, the United States and the world would be better off with Saddam still in power in Iraq. That thought that a sound counter insurgency strategy in Iraq would make violence worse. That believes the US defense budget can be his piggy bank for increased domestic spending. That wants to restrict free trade instead of expanding it. That would prefer to appease Russia when it comes to supporting the new countries of the former Soviet Union.

Quote:
and if you had any sort of integrity, you'd denounce the current McCain campaign.
Oh my, now were questioning the integrity of other forum members because they disagree with their political views. Interesting.

Tags
mccain, obama, politics