UN organisation (UNESCO) warns about lack of Water in 20 Years.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klaus

Refugee
on a one of these small green spots at that blue p
In 20 years we will have 1/3rd of todays Water per person!

About 2.000.000.000 - 6.000.000.000 Men, Women and Kids won't have enough Water then. They also pointed out that every region on earth will be affected.

Reasons: population growth, destruction of nature -> global warming.

To change something they estimated that investions of approx. 100.000.000.000 $ would be necessary.

Personal comment:we have this money for war but not as an investment for the future of our kids :(

Gordon Young mentioned that about 80% of all diseases in 3rd world countries are because of a lack of fresh water.
(Starving is also mostly a problem of a lack of water because you have to water your plants!)

Klaus

In many countries people are already paying for water. That is one of the problems in Africa. The privatization of water. Many wells or water transfer systems that were built by aid dollars aren't in use. Or the people that they were built for no longer have access because they have no money.

Scarletwine:
Well on the other hand - if you have to pay for it you don't waste it (like i saw it in california - in the desert (la) they clean the garage entries with water because it's convinient.

On the other hand .. you are right, paying for it works only as long as ppl who need it can afford it.

Klaus

That is a very common practice in the US. I'm guilty of hosing mine out several times a year. We don't think about it, at least not around here, unless there has been a drought and some cities are able to put a ban on car washing and garden watering. We think it is immeasurable.

We take water for granted. We think we can always turn on the faucet or the hose and water will come out. But you're right, it is not a limitless resource. We'd better get on the stick and do something about this.

Again, you aren't getting a big response because this is an issue most Americans (ok US, it's tiring differentiating) can't relate too.

My family personally has it's own well 350 ft into an natural aquafor and spring system in Ohio. Hell will probably have to freeze over before I lose my water. I paid $3500 for my well when we built my house, over 2X the estimate because of sandstone. but I'll be one of the last to run our of H2O. Because it comes from natural springs most of the agricultural pesticide and fertilizer runoff ( the main problem in my rural area) is very diminished.

So what is the problem?
JK I'm just stating a fact

I don't understand, isn't the supposed global warming supposed to melt the polar ice caps and raise seal-levels signifcantly enough to flood coastal regions specifically NYC? errr, how would we have less water? Pop increases can be controlled through investment in education (i.e. birth control, especially in poverty stricken areas). That seems like a better investment.
It can also be argued that if we don't invest in this war, they may not be world for our children to live in.

Scarletwine:

Zooropa: the UN just spoke about Clean sweetwater, of course there will be lots of water, just not good enough to drink or water your plants. Of course rich countries like the US, Germany, France or Great Britian can afford to clean their water.
So you could think "what do i care about - we have enough money... even if you are not that social and you don't care about a few million people dying as long as you don't have to see them, think of this:
I'm pretty sure that preasure on the rich countries rise when large areas of the World are not a place where humans can't live anymore. I guess that could mean a radicalisation. People tend to get agressive if their family starves - and their agression might be led in the direction of the responsible countries.

Klaus

Zooropa said:
I don't understand, isn't the supposed global warming supposed to melt the polar ice caps and raise seal-levels signifcantly enough to flood coastal regions specifically NYC? errr, how would we have less water? Pop increases can be controlled through investment in education (i.e. birth control, especially in poverty stricken areas). That seems like a better investment.
It can also be argued that if we don't invest in this war, they may not be world for our children to live in.

Actually, the increse of sea-levels has to do with thermal expansion of water, not an increase of water because of polar ice cap melting.

Some 2.4 billion people lack access to adequate sanitation, and 1.1 billion people are without access to safe drinking water. Current water management practices and lack of environmental sanitation contribute substantially to water-related diseases....

Today the 3rd World Water Forum started, you can read new facts and new speculations at:

http://www.world.water-forum3.com

Klaus

Back
Top Bottom