Demonic Possession, is it real or group hysteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is Demonic Possession real or group hysteria?

• Absolutely real

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Probably real

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • It's real, but you have to invite evil influences into your life

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • No, not real; anyone claiming this is a mental case.

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • There is a good force and a bad force in our universe-a person has to decide which force they choose

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • diamondbruno#9, do you have your own church and gospel?

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • diamond you always make the best threads; cutting edge, pushing the intellectual and religious envel

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Honestly why should his dream be anymore important than the one I had last night.

And how did he know it was 23 minutes? Does hell have clocks?

You dismissed his life altering experience as a common dream.
Maybe not ridiculing per se, but you might as just as well of.

dbs

Last edited:
and heaven awaits you with 72 virgins

if you love God enough
and do the right thing

according to *

* choose your own whack job (what's the difference?)

Last edited:
I skimmed the man's experience in hell (honestly, I don't have the time, interest or patience to read the whole thing), and I saw nothing to indicate it was anything more than a vivid nightmare.

I recall seeing a childhood friend of mine fall to the ground in a fit. This was in a village on a mountain in Indonesia. The villagers called it demon possession. Once she began taking meds for epilepsy, the possession ceased.

There's a lot of stuff out there that I can't explain but that doesn't mean an explanation outside of the supernatural does not exist. :shrug:

diamond said:
You dismissed his life altering experience as a common dream.

But in all seriousness, what makes his dream any different than dreams I've had.

I've had dreams that have shed light on things in my life, I've had dreams that have altered my life, dreams are basically your unconscious sorting through daily or lifetime issues, events, etc that need more attention.

I've had much more vivid dreams than this guy, but at the end of the day they were still just dreams. Good for him that they changed his life, but it was just his mind's only way to communicating to himself.

sulawesigirl4 said:
I recall seeing a childhood friend of mine fall to the ground in a fit. This was in a village on a mountain in Indonesia. The villagers called it demon possession. Once she began taking meds for epilepsy, the possession ceased.

There's a lot of stuff out there that I can't explain but that doesn't mean an explanation outside of the supernatural does not exist. :shrug:

That's generally the way it goes. People use religious explanations to make sense of phenomena they don't understand. Then, when science can explain the event, they move on to something else.

The mind's belief in something can be extremely powerful, but that doesn't mean it exists.

Glad your friend eventually received medical intervention. :)

sulawesigirl4 said:
I recall seeing a childhood friend of mine fall to the ground in a fit. This was in a village on a mountain in Indonesia. The villagers called it demon possession.

I guess these people did not have enough faith to stone her to death.

They may have sealed their fate in HELL

read the scriptures

oh ye of little faith :no:

I think in the past ignorant people innocently mistook medical conditions such as epilepsy and other neurilogical disorders as demonic possession.

However the original story posted in the thread is entirely different.

Furthurmore a good movie based on a true story to watch about this is:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0404032/

And I guess a few here would say that Emily was faking it or just a nut job.

Sad.

dbs

if it is a movie, it must be true!

BonoVoxSupastar said:

But in all seriousness, what makes his dream any different than dreams I've had.

the WEBSITE

BOOKS

VHS TAPES AND CASSETTE TAPES (ok, they may be up to cds)

LECTURE CIRCUIT

and

GULLIBLE SMUCKS
(that shell out hard earn money on this crap)

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I've had dreams that have shed light on things in my life, I've had dreams that have altered my life, dreams are basically your unconscious sorting through daily or lifetime issues, events, etc that need more attention.

I've had much more vivid dreams than this guy, but at the end of the day they were still just dreams. Good for him that they changed his life, but it was just his mind's only way to communicating to himself.

It was more than a dream, if you read his story with an open mind along with his wife's corroborating story-you might be enlightened.

And just how do you KNOW you had more vivid dreams than this guy? When this was more than a dream anyway.

Your arrogance is astounding.

dbs

deep said:

the WEBSITE

BOOKS

LECTURE CIRCUIT

and

GULLIBLE SMUCKS

Heh. I had the same thought when I got to the bottom of the page and saw the sales pitch.

Re: if it is a movie, it must be true!

deep said:

the WEBSITE

BOOKS

LECTURE CIRCUIT

and

GULLIBLE SMUCKS

i asked you not to ridicule this man, his character or experience, but you just couldn't resist.

wow.

dbs

I've also had, what some may call an outter body experience. I often have lucid dreams, sometimes a few a week. I'm not sure how common that is, but basically a lucid dream is when you consciously realize you are dreaming and you can start manipulating the characters and environment around you. They are quite facinating, you often don't want to wake up. But there have been a few of these lucid dreams that faded in and out of lucidness and I'm actually looking "down on me and am outside my body".

diamond said:

It was more than a dream, if you read his story with an open mind along with his wife's corroborating story-you might be enlightened.

And just how do you KNOW you had more vivid dreams than this guy? When this was more than a dream anyway.

Your arrogance is astounding.

dbs

The only person who's arrogance is astounding is yourself. I read word for word this man's story(so the fact that you maintain that I haven't shows how arrogant you truly are), not one thing showed me it was anything but a vivid dream. And the fact that you can't point to anything that shows anyone it was anything but, frustrates you.

diamond said:
I think in the past ignorant people innocently mistook medical conditions such as epilepsy and other neurilogical disorders as demonic possession.

However the original story posted in the thread is entirely different.

How is it any different? Please enlighten us.

Re: Re: Re: if it is a movie, it must be true!

VintagePunk said:

But it's the truth! He's profiting from his story! You can't deny that.

how do you know?

maybe he charges for the cost of making the material and donates the proceeds to charity.

we really don't know.

and unless you're his accountant, we really will never know.

and it doesn't discredit his story.

dbs

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I've also had, what some may call an outter body experience. I often have lucid dreams, sometimes a few a week. I'm not sure how common that is, but basically a lucid dream is when you consciously realize you are dreaming and you can start manipulating the characters and environment around you. They are quite facinating, you often don't want to wake up. But there have been a few of these lucid dreams that faded in and out of lucidness and I'm actually looking "down on me and am outside my body".

wow, that's interesting.

wouldn't you be mad if someone discounted your experience?

dbs

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I have those, too.

One recurring one is where I can fly or glide, perhaps 6- 10 feet off the ground.

When I can, I take those along as far as I can until the conscious wins out over the subconscious

A dream is just the mind, the subconscious, de-fraging.
Much like a hard drive.

or

Is God calling me to be an Angel?

or a cast member on: Heroes?

With regard to the original article specifically, and the whole topic in general - it's nonsense. Despite its use in everyday vernacular, parapsychology is not a legitimate branch of psychology, and is not recognized by any of the major psychology regulating bodies for very good reasons.

Paranormal phenomena have been studied by many legitimate researchers in the field decades ago, and it's been overwhelmingly found that there is no validity to paranormal claims made.

What many people don't realize is, the field of psychological research is very, very competitive and cutthroat, and researchers are always on the lookout for the next big thing, so that they can be on the cutting edge of new discoveries. If there was any validity at all to paranormal claims, legitimate researchers would be all over it. If there was an iota of indication that there may be some truth there, believe me, they'd be studying it and publishing their findings to death.

deep said:

OBE

Out of Body Experience?

i'd point to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dreaming

i have them fairly frequently, especially when i am overtired and try to catch up on REM sleep by napping in the late afternoon.

i had one today, actually. i've been working my ass off for the past three weeks, and today i'm "writing from home." i got up, had a doctor's appointment, came back, and took a 2 hour nap. over the course of the nap, i woke up several times and went down stairs to find a totally different house, with different people, different rooms, different colors.

it's fascinating. and when you get more comfortable with it, you can move freely and make things "happen" in the dream.

but you will eventually wake up. and feel very refreshed.

ETA: i guess this has already been brought up. sorry.

do any of you discount

John Edward of Crossing Over?

1605820.jpg

certainly you will believe your own eyes and ears?

plus the thousands of people that will
swear he put them in touch with a departed loved one :yes:

Back
Top Bottom