Creationism isn't Right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'm really confused here. why all this talk about christianity?? i thought other faiths had a creationism belief too?? that's why i hope it is never taught in public school science courses. besides the obvious, it not being a science, i think too many people are quick to assume there is only one form of it. and i'm sure that one christian creationism belief is the one that people want taught. creationism has many interpretations.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I'm not asking you to explain God, I'm asking you to explain the evidence we have against the world being created in 6 days. Just start with the dinosaurs and we'll go from there.

I'm serious, I want you for once to back something up.

Dinosaurs? You got it.

The Bible does not mention dinosaurs, but it does mention serpents, dragons, and very large creatures of sea and sky. The word "behemoth" is mentioned a number of times. Some may believe that the large creatures are simply elephants or other fairly large animals, and if they believe that, fine.
I have also been presented with the possibility that dinosaurs were the "serpents" in the Garden of Eden story. So when God made the sinful creature crawl on its belly forever, the dinosaurs turned to snakes and therefore, dinosaurs became extinct. I dont know if I believe that or not- I havent given it much thought, but it is an interesting idea.
Creatures that sound very similar to dinosaurs are described in great detail in the Bible. Phrases such as "terrible teeth," "rows of scales," "flames out his mouth," "tail like a cedar," and "smoke out of his nose" sound like a dinosaur to me, but maybe I'm wrong. I wasnt there.

Dinosaurs probably didn't breath fire and for somebody who thinks that evolution violates thermodynamics how does transmutation not?

A_Wanderer said:
Dinosaurs probably didn't breath fire.

Ok, maybe they didnt. But according to the Bible, something sure did, unless it is a metaphor for something, which of course is possible.

2861U2 said:

Dinosaurs? You got it.

The Bible does not mention dinosaurs, but it does mention serpents, dragons, and very large creatures of sea and sky. The word "behemoth" is mentioned a number of times. Some may believe that the large creatures are simply elephants or other fairly large animals, and if they believe that, fine.
I have also been presented with the possibility that dinosaurs were the "serpents" in the Garden of Eden story. So when God made the sinful creature crawl on its belly forever, the dinosaurs turned to snakes and therefore, dinosaurs became extinct. I dont know if I believe that or not- I havent given it much thought, but it is an interesting idea.
Creatures that sound very similar to dinosaurs are described in great detail in the Bible. Phrases such as "terrible teeth," "rows of scales," "flames out his mouth," "tail like a cedar," and "smoke out of his nose" sound like a dinosaur to me, but maybe I'm wrong. I wasnt there.

Dragons never show up in Genesis. The word 'dragon' is usually a metaphor for evil or the devil.

So dinosaurs shot flames out of their mouths and were covered with scales? You should really consider going back to school.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Dragons never show up in Genesis.

Incorrect.

The first mention of the dragon is in the Biblical account of Creation in Genesis chapter one. Many people have never seen this reference, because they read the English translation, and the word (translated "dragon") is only in the Hebrew text.

Genesis 1:21 "And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind; and God saw that it was good."

Where is the dragon mentioned?

In the "Defenders Study Bible" there is a footnote below this verse.

"Fish and other marine organisms were created simultaneously with birds and other flying creatures, in obvious contradiction to the sequence postulated by evolutionists. The "moving creature" (Hebrew sherets ) of Genesis 1:20 is translated elsewhere as "creeping thing", and here evidently refers to marine invertebrates and marine reptiles, as well as the fishes. The word translated "great whales" (Hebrew tannin) is elsewhere the regular word for "dragons," and most probably refers to the great marine reptiles often called dinosaurs."

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/dinosaurs/dragon.html

and what do you mean I should go back to school?

2861U2 said:

Incorrect.

The first mention of the dragon is in the Biblical account of Creation in Genesis chapter one. Many people have never seen this reference, because they read the English translation, and the word (translated "dragon") is only in the Hebrew text.

Genesis 1:21 "And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind; and God saw that it was good."

Where is the dragon mentioned?

In the "Defenders Study Bible" there is a footnote below this verse.

"Fish and other marine organisms were created simultaneously with birds and other flying creatures, in obvious contradiction to the sequence postulated by evolutionists. The "moving creature" (Hebrew sherets ) of Genesis 1:20 is translated elsewhere as "creeping thing", and here evidently refers to marine invertebrates and marine reptiles, as well as the fishes. The word translated "great whales" (Hebrew tannin) is elsewhere the regular word for "dragons," and most probably refers to the great marine reptiles often called dinosaurs."

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/dinosaurs/dragon.html

Yeah that website is hilarious and full of shit.

2861U2 said:

and what do you mean I should go back to school?

Maybe they'd teach you there are no such things as fire breathing creatures.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

there are no such things as fire breathing creatures.

gorered.jpg

2861U2 said:

Dinosaurs? You got it.

Do you believe that Man and dinosaurs coexisted at the same time?

2861U2 said:

Ok, maybe they didnt. But according to the Bible, something sure did, unless it is a metaphor for something, which of course is possible.

if i were a Christian, i'd be embarassed by and for you.

Irvine511 said:

if i were a Christian, i'd be embarassed by and for you.

I'm really not sure why. Look up those creatures in the Bible. You will find descriptions exactly as I stated. If I embarrass you, then the Bible embarrasses you. Go ahead and look up the stuff about dragons and large creatures. Wait... do you have a Bible in your home?

2861U2 said:

I'm really not sure why. Look up those creatures in the Bible. You will find descriptions exactly as I stated. If I embarrass you, then the Bible embarrasses you. Go ahead and look up the stuff about dragons and large creatures. Wait... do you have a Bible in your home?

That's not what he's saying. It was the whole
But according to the Bible, something sure did, unless it is a metaphor for something, which of course is possible.

That's embarassing. It just sounds like you believe anything you're fed that you really don't research or think for yourself.

To not have a grasp on what's literal or metaphorical, with something as important as your faith, and to not even care is lazy and very scary at the same time.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

That's not what he's saying. It was the whole

That's embarassing. It just sounds like you believe anything you're fed that you really don't research or think for yourself.

To not have a grasp on what's literal or metaphorical, with something as important as your faith, and to not even care is lazy and very scary at the same time.

Ask the most admired religious scholars in the world, and they cant tell you with absolute certainty what parts are literal and which metaphorical. If person A wants to believe Jonah was actually in a fish, and person B believes it is a metaphor, neither is wrong, IMO.

Me deciding whether or not dragons actaully existed in the Bible is not that important to me. That is not a major factor in me being a Christian.

I do care about my faith and wrestle with issues all the time. I do think for myself, but I believe the teachings of Jesus Christ and the Word of God more than anything the world could ever teach me. But I do not spend weeks determining whether or not I think dinosaurs existed in the Bible. I dont believe it is that important.

You bring up the idea of research, which once again, I question. Research will not prove creationism or Christianity, folks.

I'm losing track of the idea of this thread. People who believe in creationism said why, and people who believe in evolution stated why. The latter crowd seems intent on getting the former crowd to prove creationism, which neither I nor anyone else can do. What do you want me to say? Can creationism be proven? No, of course not. Is there more scientific evidence reinforcing evolution as opposed to creationism? Yes, there sure is. I really dont get what you all want. This is turning into an assault on Christianity.

2861U2 said:
This is turning into an assault on Christianity.

GOOD LORD!!! Will you PLEASE realize that creationism is not limited to Christianity!!!!!!!!!!!!##@!412io90431813r1209u231!!!!!!!rfekuiwhf wo8r

And I don't see anybody attacking christianity! what they are attacking are narrow dualistic views. There is nothing wrong with being a christian. But there's LOTS of room for improvement for those who are still stuck in the first stages of cognitive development.

Last edited:
Personally, I grew up on Carl Sagan. I believe most everything science believes from after the big bang to the present. The exception being that I believe the instant of the creation is due to a Creator, not a material origin.
I am, however, unconvinced by macroevolution. Variations in the species to be sure, but mankind cannot not be traced back to a primordial ooze. Sorry, but we are not a cosmic accident. We are here for a purpose, spiritual beings made in God's image.

And science cannot prove otherwise.

Enjoyed the discussion.

unico said:

Thanks for that! I thought he was dino-something! A_Wanderer, you should watch Godzilla. It made me sad that you didn't recognize him. I recommend "Destroy all monsters" :up:

Destroy All Monsters :up: Ghidra, Rodan, Gammera, Mothra, Godzilla :yikes: Use to watch those old japanese films all the time. Original Godzilla rules!

unico said:

Thanks for that! I thought he was dino-something! A_Wanderer, you should watch Godzilla. It made me sad that you didn't recognize him. I recommend "Destroy all monsters" :up:

Godzilla Vs The Thing (Mothra) 1964 is by far the best movie in the series. IMO

Back
Top Bottom