A strike on Iraq

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello Sting,

There was a reason why i marked this stuff as "polemic" these points shouldn't become part of a discussion - it was just to ilustrate that sometimes it's dangerous to argue with short "facts" like these.

But two short statements:

STING2 said:
In response to Klaus:

Quada. Both of these organizations came into existance after the USA had pulled out of Afghanistan economically, politically, and militaryly in 1989!!!!!

Afik Bin Laden got money from various Official US organisations like the CIA up to 1999.
But the year isn't that important i just wanted to show that "we" also use Terrorists as alies (This guy was never a good one, the only reason that we liked him was that he hated the Russians)

We do have weapons of mass destruction to deter their use against, not to be used against other countries though in an attack. That only happened in 1945 and was done in Japan because it was the best way to force a surrender of Japan there by saving millions of Japanese lives that would have died in a ground invasion.

G.W.Bush pointed out that Nuclear weapons are no more "Defense only" (which resulted in indignation here in Europe). Newertheless it would be interesting to define "Mass Destruction" I think you want to reference to "ABC" Weapons (Also in my mind most wapons are designed for "mass destruction" )

Sorry, a lone gun man killed the president, or yes if you listen to the liberals and Oliver Stone it was the government supported by space monkey's or something. Perhaps there was more than one gun man but that does not mean that the government or a corperation killed him. Jeez, total rubbish!

Maybee another interesting Topic we could call it "Conspiracy Theories" ;-)

President Bush was elected President under the laws and constitution of our country. The one who wins the most electoral votes wins the election. 99% of the time, the person with the most

Again you don't have to convince me that the US is a great country - as i mentioned before i love the USA.
I was just trying to show you the US with the eyes of one who dislikes the US like we dislike Sadam. And imho we should argue with a higher moral not just with some details - we could talk about details for years and compare the darkest episodes of our world. That wouldn't lead to much except: We shouldn't repeat historical mistakes.

My arguement only presents ONE country for possible regime change! Iraq is the only country who's behavior PLUS having weapons of mass destruction threatens the world. Most of your examples of other countries did not fit my conditions because the countries behavior was not like that of Iraq or they did not have weapons of mass destruction of both! AGAIN, its Behavior PLUS weapons of mass destruction that makes a country a candidate for regime change!

As someone other pointed out the USSR fitted in there also quite well - and Stalin was one of the worst dictators ever.

Your President at that time decided not to start a war and that was verry wise.

And again there are some international laws that decides what Countries are alowed to do to each other. If the US starts to break these rules it's hard to tell some other countries why they should care about international contracts.

(I also pointed out how a invasion could be legal in international terms from my point of view)

Sorry, were not shooting a shoplifter, were shooting at a one of the worst violators of international law, and butchers the world has ever known. No, were not going to stop and let people who commit terror get away! Nope no way!

It's like with the Police (you started that example ;-) if the Police stops to care about its own laws it destroyed the thing it should protect.

The UN is made up of several countries of which the USA is one and usually the only one out of 160 that enforces UN law and resolutions. If other countries or in fact the rest of the UN decides to ingnore its own laws and ceacefire resolutions that were passed, were not going to sit there be in violation as well. Were going to do what the UN resolution calls for and bring Iraq into compliance with the UN ceacefire agreements they signed and which the UN is called on to enforce. If the rest of the UN decides not to abide by its own rules, that is not going to stop us from doing what is right

The US is one (the biggest and most important) member of the UN. But the UN is doing a good job also lots of coutries try to blackmail them - even the USA (remember at 2001 9/11 the US had debts of 2.000.000.000,00 $ by the UN. The UN was nearly Bancrupt and the US tried to force the UN to withdraw some of their (imho greatest) laws)
It's the UN job to decide international things like this because only by that way we can make sure that Invasions are not made because of Financial or Political reasons of single Countries.

Only the UN can help to prevent wars. Sometimes it takes longer than the way we all would prefer it but it's important, it's like a court. It takes longer than just lynching him - sometimes guilty persons might escape but it's a fundamental of our system and giving that up has a verry high price!

World War II:

Not only Germany who bombed London. It was also the Alied over most of the huge German cities (also when there were no Factories or Millitary) one of the most obvious examples: Dresden.
It was (on both sides) to weaken morale of the enimy. It was a bad thing but wars are cruel.
Maybe we should start the Worldwars thread when i'm back (see end of the mail)

And for me some things like Toybombs (Russians in Afghanistan) or Daisy Cutters (as mentioned before) are a perfect example of unnecessary cruelness.

I'm sorry you think 11 years is long enough to change the law or a signed resolution but its not!

11 years are enough - but not if we ignored the problem for about 10 of these 11 years

The USA and the rest of the world was Attacked by Iraq when they invaded Kuwait

I'm sorry i might have forgotten something over the years but for me Iraq attacked Kuwait without a mandate of the UN and because of that it was unlawful. But because of that the Iraq didn't attack the whole world and the USA.

So still the same argument from me:
Either America gets attacked from Iraq or it's business of the UN.
the USA as the (most important and biggest) member has the chance to discuss these points in the UN - they had time for almost 11 years.
A invasion of a country is a serious violation of a international war

The UN decides, the Armies of the members act and after all the Sadam should be judged by the ICC

No matter what we know and feel what to do we have to care about the law.s.

It's like a Policeman he's not allowed to kill the evil person because he has the proof that he's a guilty person. He has to show it to the Court and they decide.

Maybee you or me would decide different (invasion yes/no) but we should accept it like we accapt our laws and courts.

That what's (imho) the difference between civilization and barbarism

Klaus

U2Bama:

Comparisions like that are imho highly respectless, it's like comparing the US with the "third Reich" because they both hated the Communists.

Historical comparisions fail most of the time, especially comparisons to Hittler.
Comparing Hittler to anything like Sadam is belittling and therefore makes me feel like someone is making bad jokes about the victims of the thrid Reich.

If you want to learn more about Hittler and Europe at that time i can strongly recomend visiting "The Museum Of Tolerance" in LA or visit a former extermination camp like the mauthausen-memorial.
Sorry, i might be a little too sensitive on that subject.

Maybee we should really start a "Worldwars" Thread to discuss that...

I'm sorry that i can't join this discussion for a while i'm off for vacations at the Lake Of Constance and playing a little with my nephew.
I enjoyed talking with you - off course including the people that didn't share my ideas and the impulsive z edge ,-)

Klaus

p.s. Sorry i can't resist adding a picture of my cute nephew :hug:
neues.jpg

Last edited:
Published on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 by the BBC

Nelson Mandela: The United States of America is a Threat to World Peace by Tim Radford

One of the world's most respected statesmen, Nelson Mandela, has condemned United States intervention in the Middle East as "a threat to world peace".

In an interview with the US magazine, Newsweek published on Wednesday, the former South African president repeated his call for President George Bush not to launch attacks on Iraq.

He said that Mr Bush was trying to please the American arms and oil industries.

And Mr Mandela, 84, called some of Mr Bush's senior advisors, including Vice President Dick Cheney "dinosaurs".

He said that the United States' backing for a coup by the Shah of Iran in 1953 had led to that country's Islamic revolution in 1979.

On Afghanistan, Mr Mandela said that US support for the mujahideen (including Osama Bin Laden) against the Soviet Union and its refusal to work with the United Nations after the Soviet withdrawal led to the Taleban taking power.

"If you look at those matters, you will come to the conclusion that the attitude of the United States of America is a threat to world peace," he said.

Mr Mandela said that the US was clearly afraid of losing a vote in the United Nations Security Council.

"It is clearly a decision that is motivated by George W Bush's desire to please the arms and oil industries in the United States of America," he said.

He said that no evidence had been presented to support the claim that Iraq possesses weapons of mass destruction, while former UN weapons inspector in Baghdad Scott Ritter has said there is no such evidence.

"But what we know is that Israel has weapons of mass destruction. Nobody mentions that," he said.

The former South African leader made it clear that the only member of the Bush team he respects is Colin Powell.

He called Mr Cheney a "dinosaur" and an "arch-conservative" who does not want Mr Bush "to belong to the modern age."

Mr Mandela recalled that Mr Cheney had been opposed to his release from prison.

Anthony said:
Let me just say that the quality of debating has been excellent over the last few pages in particular.

STING2, Klaus, Joyfulgirl, Ultraviolet7, U2Bama and Not George Lucas - your names stand out in particular. Great points, all of you.

Cool.:up:

Ant.

Well, I don't really have the time to get into a real debate here so I've just been offering articles for people to read. But thanks. :)

Klaus said:
Comparisions like that are imho highly respectless, it's like comparing the US with the "third Reich" because they both hated the Communists.

Historical comparisions fail most of the time, especially comparisons to Hittler.
Comparing Hittler to anything like Sadam is belittling and therefore makes me feel like someone is making bad jokes about the victims of the thrid Reich.

If you want to learn more about Hittler and Europe at that time i can strongly recomend visiting "The Museum Of Tolerance" in LA or visit a former extermination camp like the mauthausen-memorial.
Sorry, i might be a little too sensitive on that subject.

Maybee we should really start a "Worldwars" Thread to discuss that...

Klaus:

I hope you have a great vacation, and I look forward to hearing from you upon your return.

I still don't see why it is "respectless" for me to point out some similarities between the two assholes. Do you deny that Saddam Hussein has killed thousands of his own people merely for their political opposition to his rule? Do you deny that he has funded terrorist acts against Israel? I am making no jokes, good or bad. I am merely referencing a few statements and actions made by one of the most powerful and established dictators in the Middle East who happens to have probably very good resources to wreak terror on more of his citizens and neighbors.

It is perfectly fine with me if such historical comparisons fail; God knows I do not wish for Hussein to continue and soon be an equal of Hitler in terms of atrocities. But perhaps such comparisons have failed because other parties in the world have kept a check on such tyrants and stopped them soon enough?

I know very much about Hitler, the Third Reich, World War II, etc. I also know that a lot of theocratically-inclined and racist terrorists in a certain part of the world have been reading up on the Third Reich for inspiration, as they have also been sharing information with red-neck anti-semitic militia groups int he U.S. (the FBI and CIA have been monitoring such exchanges).

I in no way mean to diminish the atrocities commited by Hitler. At the same time, I wish to expose the atrocities that HAVE been commited by Hussein, and I wish to bring to light some of the things he has said that are in line with things that Hitler said. Do you think that I am being "respectless" to Hussein? Should I overlook some of the things he has said and done and give him the benefit of the doubt and say, "Oh, it is just part of his culture?" Honestly, I think that figureheads such as Hussein and The Osama are the reasons that such cultural excuses are allowed to flourish. The majority of the people in that part of the world likely do not share their hatred, but the hatred is pretty much the only "opinion" that is allowed to be expressed.

~U2Alabama

Last edited:
Published on Thursday, September 12, 2002 in the Toronto Star CNN's Hatchet Job on Scott Ritter

Media smear ex-Marine for seeking answers on Iraq
by Antonia Zerbisias

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. -- Theodore Roosevelt

OF COURSE it was just coincidental that, on Sunday, as CNN was discrediting former United Nations weapons' inspector Scott Ritter, it was running promos for the remake of Four Feathers, A.E.W. Mason's tale of the coward who would not go to war.

By Monday, professional hairdo Paula Zahn told viewers Ritter had "drunk Saddam Hussein's Kool-Aid."

Ritter, who had that day urged Iraq's National Assembly to let in weapons inspectors or face annihilation, is no chicken hawk. After his 12-year turn as a U.S. Marine intelligence officer, he faced down Saddam Hussein's goons as chief inspector of the United Nations Special Commission to disarm Iraq (UNSCOM). In 1998, he quit in protest over differences between what Washington wanted and what Iraq allowed.

Ever since, he has been very vocal about what really led to UNSCOM's failure to complete its mission ? a failure Ritter largely blames on Washington ? and how weapons' inspectors must be allowed back in to avert what will certainly be a brutal, bloody war. He insists that, if the Bush administration has evidence showing that Saddam is building nukes, then the American people have a right to see it before they sacrifice their lives.

So, naturally, CNN talking head Miles O'Brien on Sunday questioned Ritter on his loyalty.

"As an American citizen, I have an obligation to speak out when I feel my government is acting in a manner, which is inconsistent with the ? with the principles of our founding fathers," said Ritter. "It's the most patriotic thing I can do."

Not in this climate. Not when there's the ironically named U.S.A. Patriot Act which abrogates civil rights. Not when those who criticize the administration are considered to be "with the terrorists." Not when the U.S. media let President George Bush's advisers ? who, with the exception of Secretary of State Colin Powell, have never served their country as Ritter has ? gallop all over the airwaves.

You couldn't flip a channel on Sunday without catching one of the Bush bunch, including wife Laura, Powell, vice-president Dick Cheney, Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and National Security adviser Condoleeza Rice, promoting an attack on Iraq as if they were actors flogging their latest project on Leno and Letterman.

Certainly, the line of questioning was no more tough. Nowhere was any of them asked seriously, if at all, about such trivia as the costs of a war, or what, if anything, is known about connections between Al Qaeda and Saddam, or what proof there is that Iraq has the ability to make and deliver nuclear weapons, or why that country as opposed to others, or what oil has to do with it, or how Cheney justifies his former business dealings with the regime he now so desperately wants to change ...

Still the demonization of Ritter continued.

First CNN had on its own news chief, Eason Jordan, who had just returned from Baghdad where he was bagging the rights to cover the war. (Imagine the ratings!) He dismissed Ritter with a "Well, Scott Ritter's chameleon-like behaviour has really bewildered a lot of people..." and a "Well, U.S. officials no longer give Scott Ritter much credibility..."

The network followed up with more interviews vilifying Ritter, neither of which cut to the heart of the matter: Why declare war? On what grounds? At what cost? Ritter was characterized as "misguided," "disloyal" and "an apologist for and a defender of Saddam Hussein."

By Monday, professional hairdo Paula Zahn told viewers Ritter had "drunk Saddam Hussein's Kool-Aid."

Over on MSNBC, Curtis & Kuby co-host Curtis Sliwa compared him to "a sock puppet" who "oughta turn in his passport for an Iraqi one." But the nadir came later on CNN when makeup job Kyra Phillips interrogated him, implying that he was being paid by Iraq ?and all but calling him a quisling.

"Ha! Excuse me; I went to war against Saddam Hussein in 1991. I spent seven years of my life in this country hunting down weapons of mass destruction. I believe I've done a0 lot about Saddam Hussein," he replied. "You show me where Saddam Hussein can be substantiated as a threat against the United States and I'll go to war again. I'm not going to sit back idly and let anybody threaten the United States. But at this point in time, no one has made a case based upon facts that Saddam Hussein or his government is a threat to the United States worthy of war."

Maybe today, in his speech to the United Nations, Bush will make that case.

Maybe not.

Whatever happens, the list of cowards and traitors here won't include Scott Ritter.

i don't think scott ritter is a coward or a traitor, however, i do worry that since he left his position in 1998, his statements on iraq might not be as valid anymore.

In response to Klaus:

Bin Laden's role in the 1979-1989 occupation of Afghanistan by the Soviet Union was primarily that of supplier and financer of Mujahadeen rebels. At this time, Bin Laden had not been apart of any terrorist attack or any military attack, except for actions against Government Afghan forces and Soviet forces. It is unlikely although possible that some CIA support found its way into the hands of Bin Laden, but even if true is not relavent since Bin Laden at that time was NOT a terrorist. In 1989 the USA pulled out of Afghanistan militarily, economically, and politically. Bin Laden and his organization Al Quada formed after the 1990/1991 Persian Gulf conflict, and at that time was NOT based in Afghanistan!

A weapon of mass destruction is a weapon that causes damage and loss of life of a magnitude many times greater than average weapons systems or conventional munitions. It is also usually dificult to control its effects when used. It is for that reason usually not a good weapon for military use, but an excellent one for terrorist and their goals.

The USA is not breaking any international laws by invading and changing the regime in Iraq. In fact by doing so, we are complying with UN resolutions by enforcing the ceacefire agreement.

The Soviet Union, might and I underline might fit into my criteria for nations that are candidates for regime change, but we did not attack because we did not have the military capability to invade and change the regime in the Soviet Union. In fact we were barely strong enough to deter a Soviet invasion of Europe. So the #1 reason we did not we was were not even close to having the capability. #2 there was considerable evidence that we were successful in detering the Soviet Union from certain actions. Everything we see with Saddam Hussain is that he is a risk taker, unpredictable, and it is therefore unknown if deterence can be effective. In the world of 9/11, a man like Saddam may feel he can strike the USA covertly through a terror organization and escape being targeted in retaliation.

Again the USA is obiding by international law by resuming offensive operations against Iraq which is called for in the ceacefire resolutions which Iraq has violated!

Again, the USA seems to be the only country willing to enforce UN resolutions against Iraq which call for military force if Iraq is in violation of the ceacefire agreement and other resolutions. IF the UN is unwilling to enforce its own resolutions, it ceaces to be of any revelance! It becomes a joke like the League of Nations in the 1920s and 1930s. The USA is doing what the UN has already called for by launching an attack on Iraq, which is mandated if the 1991 ceacefire agreement is violated!

German cities like Dresden were bombed because of their importance in the war effort. What is so cruel about a Daisy cutter weapon rather than another weapon. Its got a larger radious of fragmentation and effects, which makes it an effective weapon when properly used than can help to bring a conflict to a quick resolution and save lives!

I'm sorry but the passage of 11 years does not in anyway change what is called for under the UN ceacefire resolution. How could it? Thats like saying maybe in 11 years shoplifting and murder will all of a sudden become legal! How strange can you get?

The world was attacked by Iraq when it attacked Kuwait because the world has strong international trade ties with Kuwait that effect everyone on the planet economically.

AGAIN, LISTEN, The US invasion of Iraq is mandated because they have violated the UN CEACEFIRE AGREEMENT! The US invasion of Iraq in 1991 was put on hold because of the ceacefire agreement which Iraq is now in violation of! Violation of that and other UN resolutions calls for the enforcement of those resolutions through military force. This has nothing to do about who has attacked someone today, ITS about Iraq's failure to comply with the UN ceacefire agreement which calls for the resumption of US offensive military operations against Iraq in order to enforce the resolution!

By invading Iraq and changing the regime, the USA is the only UN member that is complying and enforcing the UN resolutions that call for such an invasion of Iraq if they violate the UN ceacefire agreement! Your idea's go against UN resolutions and are there for a violation of international law. If the UN is unwilling to enforce its own resolutions it ceaces to be relevant. The USA is the only country that is acting in accordance with international law when it comes to Iraq, because it is the only country ready to enforce UN resolutions which the law(ceacefire agreement) calls for if Iraq is in violation of its agreements!

It is interesting to note on SCOTT RITTER, when he resigned from the UN inspections team in August of 1998, he stated that Iraq still had substantial amounts of Chemical and bio weapons not found, and was still a threat to the international community! Those are his words as he left the job he was in!

Now years later he says Iraq is not a threat and does not have weapons, yet, he has not been in a position the past 4 years to be able to refute his final statements when he resigned from the inspections team in August 1998.

Because he is the only member of the former inspection team speaking out against invasion and because his views today contradict his own views the last time he was in a position to know anything, I really don't think has any idea what he is talking about, and wonder what is real motives are? I'm sure he certainly sells more books this way.

I heard that Iraq has about 3 oil factories and one nuclear reactor , USA will bomb this country , Chernobyl2 ??? , do the U.S . even need to re-establish new government , after all alive will be destroyed ??????????????????????????????

Was it Chernobyl 2 when Israel destroyed Iraq's nuclear reactor in 1981? Honestly they have more Oil factories than most countries in the world, thats a good thing. That does not worry the USA. Were concerned about his weapons of mass destruction and his history of behavior. Those two things are why the USA is considering regime change in addition to the fact that the UN ceacefire agreement signed by Saddam which he is in open violation of, mandates that military force be used to bring him into compliance.

Published on Friday, September 13, 2002 by www.CommonDreams.org

Ten Reasons Why Many Gulf War Veterans Oppose Re-Invading Iraq by an anonymous Gulf war veteran

With all the war fever about re-invading Iraq, the press and politicians are ignoring the opinion of the veterans of our last war in the Gulf. But we veterans were there, and we have unique and critical first-hand knowledge of the course and consequences of warfare in Iraq. Our opinions should be solicited and heard before troops deploy for battle, not after they have returned wounded, ill or in body bags.

Another invasion of Iraq in 2002 will be very different from the invasion of 1991. The war's mission has changed in the intervening years, from removing Iraq from Kuwait to removing the entire Iraqi government and military establishment from power. Because the goal of the U.S. military has changed, the Iraqi army may retreat to the cities, where they may face better odds than in the desert.

During the open desert tank battles of '91, U.S. tanks out-classed and out-fought obsolete Iraqi tanks, and U.S. infantry captured tens of thousands of poorly supplied Iraqi soldiers operating without command and control from Baghdad. But in the urban warfare scenario of 2002, pitched infantry skirmishes and ambushes in cities may present a more level battlefield for Iraqi troops fighting in their hometowns. The Iraqi military can be expected to fight for each block within each city with the most ruthless means available. When faced with the impending overrun of their nation, the Iraqi military didn't hesitate to use chemical weapons against Iran.

Because of these significant differences, here are 10 reasons why, as a Gulf War combat veteran, I oppose a second Gulf War as a costly and preventable mistake.

1. U.S. troops are vulnerable to Iraqi chemical and biological warfare agents -- if Iraq is capable of using them. The gas masks, detection alarms and protection suits don't work, according to internal Department of Defense documents uncovered during investigations by the U.S. General Accounting Office. This leaves U.S. troops highly vulnerable to chemical and biological attack. U.S. chemical and biological warfare agent casualties in 2002 could be significantly higher than in 1991. Only a few months ago, the Pentagon sent out a press release stating 140,000 U.S. soldiers were exposed to low-levels chemical agents near Khamisiyah, Iraq during the Gulf War. While these soldiers appeared to return home healthy, many tens of thousands face long-term disabling medical problems that are difficult to treat.

2. Scientific evidence shows that even low-level chemical exposures are dangerous. According to a recent National Academy of Sciences report (Gulf War and Health, September 2000), low-levels of chemical warfare agents cause long-term medical problems. This conclusion is based on research resulting from the sarin attack in Japan in 1995.

3. Research shows long-term adverse side effects from mandatory vaccines given to U.S. soldiers deploying to the war zone. According to the product label insert made by BioPort in Michigan, the sole producer, the experimental anthrax vaccine has caused several deaths. The National Academy of Sciences this year concluded there are some risks to the hotly debated vaccine.

4. The Gulf War battlefield remains radioactive and toxic. Scientific research funded by the military and released two years ago links exposure to depleted uranium (DU) ammunition with cancer in rats. Solid depleted uranium bullets, ranging in size from 25mm to 120mm, are used by U.S. tanks, helicopters and planes to attack enemy tanks and armored personnel carriers. The Gulf War battlefield is already littered with more than 300 tons of radioactive dust and shrapnel from the 1991 Gulf War. Another war will only increase the radioactive and toxic contamination among U.S. soldiers. As of today, U.S. troops are not fully trained about the hazards of depleted uranium contamination, even though Congress enacted a law in 1998 requiring extensive training, especially for medical personnel.

5. Research shows long-term adverse side effects from mandatory pills given to U.S. soldiers deploying to the war zone. According to testimony before Congress (Rand Corporation, 1999), the experimental pyridostigmine bromide (PB) anti-chemical warfare agent pills "can't be ruled out" as linked to Gulf War illness. During the war, soldiers were told to take one pill every eight hours. After the chemical alarms sounded, some soldiers, out of legitimate fear for their lives, took more than the prescribed amount. To date, the long-term consequences of PB pills remain largely unknown.

6. The Iraqi civilian opposition was abandoned by U.S. troops in the first Gulf War. After U.S. troops had liberated Kuwait and conquered southern Iraq at the end of February 1991, former President George H.W. Bush encouraged the Iraqi opposition, mainly civilians, to rise up against the Iraqi dictatorship in March 1991. However, former President Bush left the rebels twisting in the wind to be ruthlessly killed by the Iraqi army's Republican Guard flying helicopters allowed by the cease-fire arranged by U.S. military and political leaders. U.S. troops in southern Iraq in March 1991 were ordered not to interfere. How can U.S. troops or Iraqi rebels be confident this won't happen again? Long oppressed by the Iraqi military, what will the civilian population do if Iraq is liberated? The American public won't support a long-term occupation and high casualties.

7. Many post-cease-fire military actions of the first Gulf War were deplorable. In March 1991, the Iraqi army was in a full route inside Iraq. Against orders, former General Barry McCaffrey slaughtered thousands of retreating Iraqi soldiers after the cease-fire (documented in the article, "Overwhelming Force," by Seymour Hersh, The New Yorker, 2000). Many U.S. soldiers returned home with serious objections about the course and consequences of such actions, including the horrific carnage of the "highway of death," littered with hundreds of destroyed cars, tanks and human remains (see "Prayer at Rumayla" by Gulf War veteran Charles Sheehan-Miles, Xlibris, 2001). Will there be another massacre of Iraqi soldiers? Will Iraqi troops slaughter U.S. soldiers in retaliation, killing U.S. prisoners or retreating U.S. soldiers? And will the press be allowed onto the battlefield to record what really happens?

8. No one has been held accountable for arming Iraq with chemical and biological weapons from 1980 to 1990. A recent news article reported that top aides for former presidents Reagan and Bush armed Iraq with these weapons during Iraq's war against Iran between 1980 and 1988 ("Officers Say U.S. Aided Iraq in War Despite Use of Gas," New York Times, Aug. 18, 2002). Some of these former George H.W. Bush aides now work for President George W. Bush. These advisors did nothing to stop the sale of the chemical agents to Iraq, did nothing to stop the use of the agents by Iraq, and did nothing to tell the world about Iraq's crimes, even when the world learned Iraq used poison gas against civilians. These top political aides have remained silent for more than 14 years, and many refused to comment on the recent news reports.

9. U.S. allies in Europe oppose invading Iraq. They have refused to supply soldiers, funding or logistical support. Some of the serious U.S. battlefield casualties from 1991 were sent to U.S. military hospitals in Germany. Where will our casualties be flown to for emergency care if Germany follows through on its policy to remain neutral and not allow the use of German airspace? This contrasts sharply with the more than 30 nations allied with the U.S. during Desert Storm in 1991. Today, the U.S. has no Arab allies. In 1991, the U.S. forgave billions in outstanding loans owed by Egypt to buy its support. Now Egypt and other Middle Eastern nations oppose a second invasion of Iraq. If something goes wrong, where will U.S. troops retreat if Saudi Arabia won't allow U.S. troops within its borders? We must avoid another Gallipoli.

10. The Department of Veterans Affairs will not be able to care for additional casualties because VA can't even take care of current VA patients. Most veterans now wait six months to see a VA doctor, and most veterans wait more than six months to receive a decision on a VA disability claim. Many of those waiting in line are Gulf War veterans, many with unusual illnesses. According to VA, of the nearly 700,000 veterans who served in Desert Shield and Desert Storm, more than 300,000 have sought VA healthcare, and more than 200,000 have filed VA disability claims. Two weeks ago, President Bush slashed $275 million from the healthcare budget of the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Although the Iraqi government is a corrupt dictatorship that must eventually be removed, current proposals to remove the government by deploying hundreds of thousands of U.S. troops are deeply flawed. A premature attack against Iraq, especially when the public opposes it, would be a horrible mistake. Since 1990, more than 400 U.S. soldiers have died in the Gulf War theater of operations. Untold hundreds of thousands of Iraqis, both soldiers and civilians, also died. A second invasion of Iraq for one man is not worth one more life; let's use common sense and avert a second Gulf War.

The author is a Gulf War combat veteran

STING2 said:
It is interesting to note on SCOTT RITTER, when he resigned from the UN inspections team in August of 1998, he stated that Iraq still had substantial amounts of Chemical and bio weapons not found, and was still a threat to the international community! Those are his words as he left the job he was in!

Now years later he says Iraq is not a threat and does not have weapons, yet, he has not been in a position the past 4 years to be able to refute his final statements when he resigned from the inspections team in August 1998.

Because he is the only member of the former inspection team speaking out against invasion and because his views today contradict his own views the last time he was in a position to know anything, I really don't think has any idea what he is talking about, and wonder what is real motives are? I'm sure he certainly sells more books this way.

I'm not sure yet what I think of Ritter either, but I don't think he is interested in only selling books. He is completely passionate about this issue in a way that gives him some credibility for me. I can't see that he has much to gain otherwise except being called a traitor. However, I have not heard him adequately address the question of this discrepancy between what he said when he left and what he says now so I am not exactly 100% on his team, but I am most interested in what he has to say. My guess is that he was working for a corrupt organization and did not feel free to speak his mind truthfully at the time, but I would like to hear him say more about it. I think it's also worth noting that he's a card-carrying Republican who voted for Bush and a Gulf War veteran.

Last edited:
Having talked and interacted with over 100 Gulf War Combat Veteran's and done extensive reading and research into these issue's, I reject nearly everything this LONE Anonymous "Gulf War Combat Veteran" from an obviously biased unobjective source website, has said an here is why.

First it is sick that this Anonymous "Gulf War Combat Veteran" is attempting to speak for other Veterans who do not in anyway share his/her views. This person should of stated that in the first paragraph instead of absurdly and falsely claiming this is how most veterans feel. In addition, he/her is wrong that Gulf War veterans have not been consulted. I wonder if this anonymous "veteran" is really a writer for the biased unobjective website?!

It is true that the Iraqi military may retreat to the cities, most likely Baghdad because it affords them better defensive capability. But that does not mean that US Tanks, so effective in the Desert battles, would not be used in the cities. Iraqi soldiers will continue to face a tank(the US M1A1 now M1A2) that is impervious to Iraqi ground fire and nearly any countries ground launched anti-tank weapons, across the frontal arch of the tank armor. This fact will not change in the cities although there will be greater opportunity for Iraqi soldiers to hit from the flank, top, and rear where armor protection is much less. Still US military tactics will take this into account, and only use it in situations where it can take advantage of its frontal armor and powerful 120 mm main gun. The US military will not send infantry into buildings or situations where they will suffer mass casaulties. We did not send infantry into messy situations in the mountains of Afghanistan and we won't in Baghdad either. The area of resistance will be marked, whether it be a building or several buildings, then either artillery or precision airstrikes will be called in to destroy the buildings or area where Iraqi soldiers are. It is a slow process, and US infantry will move slowly in armored vehicles behind tanks and helicopter support. Iraqi forces, pinned down in the city, will be easy targets for mass bombing. Having sacrificed mobility for the temporary protection of the city, their forces will be destroyed slowly by US artillery and airstrikes, as US forces move up slowly after resistence in those area's has been destroyed.

Iraq was seldom if ever threatened with being overrun by Iran, and chemical weapons had no effect on the overall battlefield situation, because Iraq only used them in controlled and limited circumstances. One reason for this is that the use of such weapons is often unpredictable do to the effects of whether on its spread and lethality. It should be noted that US military forces approaching from the southwest will NOT be downwind, rather Iraqi forces will be. Prevailing winds blow from the Southwest to the Northeast, meaning Iraqi forces must face the strong possibility that their use of chemical and bio weapons could cause casaulties among their own forces, especially since most Iraqi force have no protective gear at all for Chem/Bio warfare!

1. Many reason's for "Gulf War Illness" have been discussed, but there has never been any conclusive evidence linking Gulf Veterans symptoms to service in the Gulf War. The low level possible exposure at Khamisiyah may have been less dangerous than the polution one faces in many US cities. Examination of the area effected by Khamisyah does not reveal a higher concentration of "Gulf Illness" among those that would be effected, than anywhere else in the Gulf region where US forces were serving including on ships in the Gulf. In addition there is no evidence that US chemical and protective gear does not work. I have used this gear myself in training, and from what I have experienced it does work!

2. It is not clear that US forces were really exposed to low levels of chemicals in a concentration still high enough to have any effects. Given the random distrubution of "Gulf Illness" in the Gulf region, rather than a concentration at Khamisiyah or any other place, the only scientific conclusion for the time being is that "Gulf Illness" is the result of "stress" or other events not related to service in the Gulf.

3. Any vaccine has the chance to cause deaths or ill side effects among a very large population. Over 99% of Men and Women taking the anthrax vaccine have not suffered side effects. More importantly, they now can survive an Anthrax attack.

4. Not only do US forces use depleted Uranium in shells and bullets, but they also use depleted Uranium in the armor protection for US tanks. US forces have used and trained with Depleted Uranium for decades. US forces exposed to depleted Uranium dust or shells recieve more radioactivity from watching TV! While the mistaken demolition of chemical weapons at Khamisiyah raises some possibilities for concern, which are unproven, the risk of depleted uranium is non-existent. The level of radiation is to low to be of a risk, in addition the shells and their use in the Gulf war is spread over a vast area and NOT concentrated, and what was there was easily dispursed by whether conditions at the time. In both this case and above, the Gulf War oil fires by Saddam are more of a threat due to their wider area of effect and concentration.

5. None of the Gulf War veterans I have interacted with talked about problems with these pills. The Rand Corporation "think tank" has been wrong on many issue's besides this one. Just look at the Rand Corporations estimates for US losses before the 1991 Gulf War started.

6. George Bush incouraged not only Iraqi citizens, most of whom never saw Bushes comments, but also the Iraqi military to rise up against Saddam before and during the Gulf War. It was well understood by everyone that the mandate was for the removal of Iraqi troops from Kuwait and the restoration of that country. The USA got everything it needed in the ceacefire in order to completely secure that mandate although now that ceacefire agreement has been terribly violated which is why we are going back in. The US soldiers will be fighting to remove the regime, so there will be no ceacefire this time. Iraqi civilians long opprossed by the Iraqi military will finally be able to enjoy freedom and have the opportunity to create a prosperous life for themselves. The American public will support a long occupation as evidence by US troops stationed in Bosnia now 7 years, Kosovo 3 years, and of course, Italy, Germany, and Japan, nearly 60 years! Not really occupation in the last three now, but still their stationing supported by the American public.

7. Barry McCaffrey forces were attacked by Iraqi forces who were not aware of the Gulf War ceacefire. His forces took appropriate action to defend themselves and destroyed the attacking Repulican guard units saving the lives of American soldiers. There was never at any time a massacre of Iraqi soldiers. We destroyed any and all vehicles in the region moving north, but did not target people on foot. Iraqi soldiers that did escape the "highway of death" later massacred Shiats in the south and Kurds in the North. Perhaps the Anonymous "Veteran" would of prefered that more Iraqi soldier had survived the "highway of death" in order to slaughter Shia women and childern. This person is really starting to contradict him/her self.

8. Most of Iraq's chemical and biological weapons build took place in Iraq itself. Duel use components and agents may have been sold to Iraq, Iraq was not under sanctions then, but not with the purpose that they be used for the production and manufacture of weaponized chemical agents. In any event, their use was limited and not a factor in the Iran/Iraq war, and Iraq had other sources of these resources do to the fact there were no sanctions at the time. Most aid in building Iraq's military infrastructure came from the Soviet Union and to a lesser extent China. I can list the weapons tables for Iraq back then that clearly show this. US support was limited to meaningless diplomatic support, and the supplying of food, trucks, and a few transport helicopters. Its unfortunate that people take limited and insignificant transfer of supplies, and then extrapolate that into "we built Saddam". Nothing could be further from the truth. Saddam's military was built by the Soviet Union, that still had 2,000 troops and advisors in Iraq two months before the Gulf War.

9. The USA does not nead Saudi Arabia for an invasion nor does it need European allies that contributed little if nothing to the 1991 Gulf War. The US has the medical support in the region to deal with nearly anything, but if need be, Germany is not going to deny US wounded. In addition, the United Kingdom is next store, if Germany experiences a sudden form of insanity and cruelty.

10. Certainly more needs to be done for the VA. The numbers of Gulf War vets having a reported illness is 120,000 out of 700,000. It is not proven that the illness they have is due to service in the Gulf after 10 years of study. Non-the less, anyone that is sick for any reason who has served are country should be cared for, and the money can be applied to the budget to accomplish this goal.

All polls show the public in America supports a war against Iraq. One has to ask what the cost of a event worse than 9/11 would be. Allowing an event worse than 9/11 to happen again is unacceptable under any conditions. There is no margin for error, which is why we must enforce all UN resolutions regarding Iraq, with force if necessary!

you talked to 100? what about the other half million? why would you presume that this 'lone' anonymous veteran has not talked to as many veterans as you have? you may not like the website, but it has a lot of integrity within the progressive community.

but hey, at least YOU'RE nonbiased and objective even if those of us who are against invading iraq are not.

as i said previously, i don't have the time to debate this issue or to even comment on every article i post. but i will continue posting articles that i find interesting.

Albert Interviews Chomsky on Iraq

By Noam Chomsky

Various questions are circulating among people worried about war. On Sept 1, 2002, Michael Albert put a dozen of these to Noam Chomsky, via email. Here are the first three questions and his responses...the whole interview will appear in the October issue of Z Magazine.

1. Has Saddam Hussein been as evil as mainstream media says? Domestically? Internationally?

He is as evil as they come, ranking with Suharto and other monsters of the modern era. No one would want to be within his reach. But fortunately, his reach does not extend very far.

Internationally, Saddam invaded Iran (with Western support), and when that war was going badly turned to chemical weapons (also with Western support). He invaded Kuwait and was quickly driven out.

A major concern in Washington right after the invasion was that Saddam would quickly withdraw, putting "his puppet in [and] everyone in the Arab world will be happy" (Colin Powell, then Chief of Staff). President Bush was concerned that Saudi Arabia might "bug out at the last minute and accept a puppet regime in Kuwait" unless the US prevented Iraqi withdrawal.

The concern, in brief, was that Saddam would pretty much duplicate what the US had just done in Panama (except that Latin Americans were anything but happy). From the first moment the US sought to avert this "nightmare scenario." A story that should be looked at with some care.

Saddam's worst crimes, by far, have been domestic, including the use of chemical weapons against Kurds and a huge slaughter of Kurds in the late 80s, barbaric torture, and every other ugly crime you can imagine. These are at the top of the list of terrible crimes for which he is now condemned, rightly. It's useful to ask how frequently the impassioned denunciations and eloquent expressions of outrage are accompanied by three little words: "with our help."

The crimes were well known at once, but of no particular concern to the West. Saddam received some mild reprimands; harsh congressional condemnation was considered too extreme by prominent commentators. The Reaganites and Bush #1 continued to welcome the monster as an ally and valued trading partner right through his worst atrocities and well beyond.

Bush authorized loan guarantees and sale of advanced technology with clear applications for weapons of mass destruction (WMD) right up to the day of the Kuwait invasion, sometimes overriding congressional efforts to prevent what he was doing. Britain was still authorizing export of military equipment and radioactive materials a few days after the invasion.

When ABC correspondent and now ZNet Commentator Charles Glass discovered biological weapons facilities (using commercial satellites and defector testimony), his revelations were immediately denied by the Pentagon and the story disappeared. It was resurrected when Saddam committed his first real crime, disobeying US orders (or perhaps misinterpreting them) by invading Kuwait, and switched instantly from friend to reincarnation of Attila the Hun.

The same facilities were then used to demonstrate his innately evil nature. When Bush #1 announced new gifts to his friend in December 1989 (also gifts to US agribusiness and industry), it was considered too insignificant even to report, though one could read about it in Z magazine at the time, maybe nowhere else.

A few months later, shortly before he invaded Kuwait, a high-level Senate delegation, headed by (later) Republican presidential candidate Bob Dole, visited Saddam, conveying the President's greetings and assuring the brutal mass murderer that he should disregard the criticism he hears from maverick reporters here.

Saddam had even been able to get away with attacking a US naval vessel, the USS Stark, killing several dozen crewmen. That is a mark of real esteem. The only other country to have been granted that privilege was Israel, in 1967. In deference to Saddam, the State Department banned all contacts with the Iraqi democratic opposition, maintaining this policy even after the Gulf war, while Washington effectively authorized Saddam to crush a Shi'ite rebellion that might well have overthrown him -- in the interest of preserving "stability," the press explained, nodding sagely.

That he's a major criminal is not in doubt. That's not changed by the fact that the US and Britain regarded his major atrocities as insignificant in the light of higher "reasons of state," before the Gulf war and even after -- facts best forgotten.

2. Looking into the future, is Saddam Hussein as dangerous as mainstream media says?

The world would be better off if he weren't there, no doubt about that. Surely Iraqis would. But he can't be anywhere near as dangerous as he was when the US and Britain were supporting him, even providing him with dual-use technology that he could use for nuclear and chemical weapons development, as he presumably did.

10 years ago the Senate Banking Committee hearings revealed that the Bush administration was granting licences for dual use technology and "materials which were later utilized by the Iraq regime for nuclear missile and chemical purposes." Later hearings added more, and there are press reports and a mainstream scholarly literature on the topic (as well as dissident literature).

The 1991 war was extremely destructive, and since then Iraq has been devastated by a decade of sanctions, which probably strengthened Saddam himself (by weakening possible resistance in a shattered society), but surely reduced very significantly his capacity for war-making or support for terror.

Furthermore, since 1991 his regime has been constrained by "no fly zones," regular overflights and bombing, and very tight surveillance. Chances are that the events of Sept. 11 weakened him still further. If there are any links between Saddam and al-Qaeda, they would be far more difficult to maintain now because of the sharply intensified surveillance and controls.

That aside, links are not very likely. Despite enormous efforts to tie Saddam to the 9-11 attacks, nothing has been found, which is not too surprising. Saddam and bin Laden were bitter enemies, and there's no particular reason to suppose that there have been any changes in that regard.

The rational conclusion is that Saddam is probably less of a danger now than before 9-11, and far less of a threat than when he was enjoying substantial support from the US-UK (and many others). That raises a few questions. If Saddam is such a threat to the survival of civilization today that the global enforcer has to resort to war, why wasn't that true a year ago? And much more dramatically, in early 1990?

3. How should the problem of the existence and use of weapons of mass destruction in the world today be dealt with?

They should be eliminated. The non-proliferation treaty commits countries with nuclear weapons to take steps towards eliminating them. The biological and chemical weapons treaties have the same goals. The main Security Council resolution concerning Iraq (687, 1991) calls for eliminating weapons of mass destruction and delivery systems from the Middle East, and working towards a global ban on chemical weapons. Good advice.

Iraq is nowhere near the lead in this regard. We might recall the warning of General Lee Butler, head of Clinton's Strategic Command in the early 90s, that "it is dangerous in the extreme that in the cauldron of animosities that we call the Middle East, one nation has armed itself, ostensibly, with stockpiles of nuclear weapons, perhaps numbering in the hundreds, and that inspires other nations to do so."

He's talking about Israel of course. The Israeli military authorities claim to have air and armored forces that are larger and more advanced than those of any European NATO power (Yitzhak ben Israel, Ha'aretz, 4-16-02, Hebrew). They also announce that 12% of their bombers and fighter aircraft are permanently stationed in Eastern Turkey, along with comparable naval and submarine forces in Turkish bases, and armored forces as well, in case it becomes necessary to resort to extreme violence once again to subdue Turkey's Kurdish population, as in the Clinton years.

Israeli aircraft based in Turkey are reported to be flying reconnaisance flights along Iran's borders, part of a general US-Israel-Turkey policy of threatening Iran with attack and perhaps forceful partitioning. Israeli analysts also report that joint US-Israel-Turkey air exercises are intended as a threat and warning to Iran. And of course to Iraq (Robert Olson, Middle East Policy, June 2002). Israel is doubtless using the huge US air bases in Eastern Turkey, where the US bombers are presumably nuclear-armed. By now Israel is virtually an offshore US military base.

And the rest of the area is armed to the teeth as well. If Iraq were governed by Gandhi, it would be developing weapons systems if it could, probably well beyond what it can today. That would very likely continue, perhaps even accelerate, if the US takes control of Iraq. India and Pakistan are US allies, but are marching forward with the development of WMD and repeatedly have come agonizingly close to using nuclear weapons. The same is true of other US allies and clients.

That is likely to continue unless there is a general reduction of armaments in the area.

Would Saddam agree to that? Actually, we don't know. In early January 1991, Iraq apparently offered to withdraw from Kuwait in the context of regional negotiations on reduction of armaments, an offer that State Department officials described as serious and negotiable. But we know no more about it, because the US rejected it without response and the press reported virtually nothing.

It is, however, of some interest that at that time -- right before the bombing -- polls revealed that by 2-1 the US public supported the proposal that Saddam had apparently made, preferring it to bombing. Had people been allowed to know any of this, the majority would surely have been far greater. Suppressing the facts was an important service to the cause of state violence.

Could such negotiations have gotten anywhere? Only fanatical ideologues can be confident. Could such ideas be revived? Same answer. One way to find out is to try.

No, I have not talked to a half a million vets, I don't think any individual has. But of the 100 or so that I have either talked to or interacted with, none of them had the same view points as this person who claims to be an anonymous "Gulf War Veteran". I come from a military family and have other friends and family that are in the military as well. My best friend of 18 years will be involved if there is an invasion of Iraq, and another friend is currently serving in Afghanistan. None of the people they have met or known, who are Gulf War veterans, have any views remotely similiar to this person who claims to be a Gulf War Veteran.

Please tell me what my bias is? Also, what exactly have I said that is clearly unobjective. What exactly is the "progressive community" and are they really concerned about being unbiased and objective? That website clearly is not unbiased or objective under any stretch of the definition of those words.

If you could find articles from more objective, unbiased sources, it would strengthen your view points and clearly be more educational for the rest of us. But perhaps this latest one was more the exception and not the rule.

I just wanted to pop in for a moment and reiterate my earlier sentiments about the quality of this thread. I remain most impressed by the research and rhetoric presented by *both* sides of this debate, and the discussion has stayed supremely respectful and aboveboard. I, and the other FYM mods, truly appreciate it. :)

In response to STING2's response to me (what??? :laugh: ) - sorry if somewhat late but I haven't enough time to keep up with this thread as I would like to.

No, I don't consder US intervention on a constant basis over 60 years as just one intervention. Basically because the scenarios in every case were different. However, there is a pattern which repeats itself over and is what constitutes in my view the normal rule of intervention.

STING2 said:
Do to the small scale of these interventions, it is questionable about their impacts on the civilian population and political situation.

Small scale by what standards? You seem to insist on evaluating interventionist policy by the actual amount of money invested by the US to perform it, and that is not related in any way to the point discussed. In any case a lot of damage can be done with a fairly low-budget operation. Chile was a CIA run operation, there was no actual deployment of US troops, but the systematic violation of human rights Pinochet's dictatorship incurred in during its almost 20 year rule is abhorrent and has deeply affected Chilean society. While it may be argued that Salvador Allende could have been pro-Communist since he was a socialist, Argentina was a victim of a similar operation but the government toppled was certainly not pro-Soviet at all - in fact it was rather a populist right wing "democracy" with a corporative fascistoid slant.

Even if it's clear that the coup was not particularly directed to the government in charge but rather aimed, amongst other goals, to terminate with left-wingers and their ideologists - the social and economic consequences of this dictatorship are still suffered nowadays. In this particular case, left-wing ideology was embraced by a minority with no real power as it can be seen from checking poll results during the rather short democratic lapses in the last 55 years. If that shouldn't suffice, a sociological analysis of Argentinian society shows that at every level there's always been a strong conservative sentiment and that the left has always rather been looked down upon.

There was absolutely no real threat of a communist takeover at the time in Argentina, nonetheless the CIA ran an operation during the last segment of the democratic rule backing an ultra right-wing official organisation called AAA (triple A) whose objective was to round up and hunt down left-wing activists. To finish up the job and wipe out whatever there was left (pardon the pun) remotely left-oriented a military dictatorship was put in charge. Alongside the actual left-sympathisers and activists a majority of innocent people were abducted, tortured and murdered, their possessions confiscated and their children given in adoption to military families (notice the monstrosity of this: kids being adopted by the very people who supported those who murdered their real parents) if not directly sold.

If this weren't to be considered enough, the main reason to help this dictatorship to power along with others at the time was not to do away with the left but rather to clear the way to mount a huge financial manoeuver from which the developed world would derive in the next 20/25 years great benefit: impose on these countries ultra-orthodox capitalist policies to rule their economies (much more radically orthodox than any of what was and is applied in the US or any other western nation) which would pave the way for dumping surplus western produce, allow multinational corporations buy run-down state-owned service companies in the 90s for almost nothing and charge fees unheard of in the rest of the world, sell at incredibly high prices tons of outdated military equipment (lots of Vietnam cast-offs went to Latin America) and place generous amounts of money in the guise of loans at outrageous interest rates. If it isn't clear by now: all this meant serving foreign interests in detriment of local populations which are now worse-off than what they were then. This manoeuver was responsible for the origin of the greater portion of the present debt these countries owe the first world. Their present status of bankruptcy allows now creditor countries to do with them whatever they wish. Furthermore, it has to be noted that none of the creditors had a qualm in lending money to regimes which

a) violated systematically human rights
b) was more than obvious that would never use such money to make the conditions better for domestic population but rather to line their own pockets
c) were NOT voted by the people and thus the people (i. e. those who would have to pay those loans back) had no say whatsoever in deciding whether they wanted that money or not.

In some cases, it is likely that the events would have taken place with or without US and Soviet intervention.

That's trying to play clairvoyancy.

The money was spent in area's where the threat was greatest to the USA and its allies.

Threat?? What "threat" do Colombian guerrillas pose to the US? What threat were Grenada, Guatemala and Panama posing to the US or its allies??

They do have a point in that hundreds of billions of dollars has often been sent to many these countries over a few decades with nothing to show for it because of corruption in the country itself.

:laugh: :laugh: That slogan has been repeated over and over to justify the reluctance to send real aid money or to grant loans at decent interest rates to poorer countries. It's cynical to the core, since such corruption originated in governments helped to power or supported throughout their rule by the US and their first world allies when it was known what sort of administration they provided and this goes for both dictatorial and democratic regimes.

The fact is, disregarding politics for a second and just looking at the USA, it is in the interest and a benefit to the USA to aid thirdworld countries and see a reduction in their level of poverty. Reducing poverty cuts down on immigration, terrorism, and anti-democratic or anti-capitalist groups.

This is 100% logical, but you can't disregard politics. There seem to be stronger interests which override the application of this logical approach.

It is not right paint who the US supported as the devil while painting the otherside as white angels.

Who is guilty of this? I never said that the Soviets were "white angels", on the very contrary.

As far as evidence and proof about a threat, there are two sides to that debate and history is replete with examples of threats that were not taken seriously because that couldn't be "proven" with terrible results for the human race. To not be involved at all in many of these area's would be to let the Soviets have a free hand. Perhaps at that very moment not a serious threat, but what about 10 or 20 years down the road in a situation in which the world is on the verge of World War, suddenly these area's of less importance become important and your situation as far as how many allies one has in the region is effected and based on the actions one may have taken there 10 to 20 years earlier. The fact is, will never know for absolute sure if a Soviet take over was likely or not in some of these countries.

This is conjecturing again. However, as it is possible to cite examples in which the lack of pre-emptive action proved to be detrimental, it is obviously not possible to compare with cases in which actual pre-emptive action itself brought about terrible consequences.

In cases where the threat is uncertain, it is far better to be safe than sorry for the long term effects could be very bad in a future Global confrontation for the world.

Better safe than sorry? Try to give that argument to local populations adversely affected by foreign interventionist policies.

The fact is preventing or defeating Communist and Soviet influence in these countries was in their best long term interest.

In the first place, I believe that to decide what's in their best interest is every independent country's prerogative and not an alien power's, no matter how strong the said power is. In the second place, I could agree with you to a certaint extent, since the sort of capitalism some countries are subject to, is for many people no better than another sort of regime. It may be better for me or you, in fact I wouldn't fancy living under a communist rule at all, but I realise that the radically poor in certain capitalist societies (the extra-first world ones especially) are certainly not deriving any benefit from such a system, or at least in the conditions it is presently.

In most places where the US intervened in a major way, the local situation for people did improve. In area's of less interest and less US involvement, situation for people may have become worse, but this is for a variety of factors, and its not clear that such a small US intervention could effect the average standard of living of so many people.

The first is certainly true of Europe since a more than generous aid package went with it. What about Vietnam?
What is a small intervention? A low-budget one? I've already stated why this is beside the point. Regarding the interventions you call "small" because they did not require such a bombastic display and didn't toll on US budget so heavily, if you have the time and interest to find out conscientiously you'll see that the consequences of foreign intervention can be much greater than what you care to acknowledge.

Their are problems and events in these third world countries that would happen and exist with or without Soviet/US intervention.

Certainly, but there are other events and problems that happen/ed because of foreign intervention.

It is incorrect to say that political persecution or economic problems would not of happened in country if the US did not intervene and other political forces, most likely pro=Soviet were allowed to secure power.

I never said such a thing since that would be conjecturing. The "other" political forces didn't have to be necessarily pro-Soviet, in fact there are political forces which apply less than orthodox capitalism i.e. more socially-oriented, in particular in some European countries like the Scandinavian ones which are not radically pro-American and nor certainly pro-communist. Besides this, during the 60s/70s there was an emerging third position which defied alignment with either of the powers and was readily crushed in various fronts by both of them.

US used its limited resources in the region to support the pro US side without any real confidence that the amount of support that was being given would actually have any effect on the situation at all.

Excuse me but that is rather naive. The US as the former USSR didn't support anybody without the absolute certainty that such support would be useful towards attaining the goal defined.

With limited resources, the US did the best it could with what was going to be a bad a situation no matter which side came to power.

More conjecturing.

In the case of Afghanistan and Islamic fundamentalism, the only group or groups available that were resisting Soviet Occupation in Afghanistan were groups that would be considered Islamic Fundamentalist. There was not a secular or non-fundamentalist group to support.

What is your point? If a nazi group would have been the only group available to fight against the Soviet occupation would it be excusable that the US had funded them to that end?? For this very reason it is perfectly licit to cite such support as an example of the US using fundamentalism to fend off Soviet penetration.

Contrary to popular belief, the Soviets pulled out of Afghanistan for politcal and economic reasons, not because they had been defeated on the battlefield.

True.

But the Shah and his regime of Iran were not Islamic fundamentalist, so this is not the USA using Islam fundamentalism as a bulwark against Soviet Expansion. In the 80s, the USA supplied Iran with a limited number of outdated Tow missiles in exchange for hostages. This one time weapons transfer had no effect on the outcome of the Iran/Iraq war and was not done to support Islamic fundamentalism.

I did NOT say that the Shah and his regime were fundamentalist - I would have to be fool for making such an assertion. I did NOT say either that US armament supply to Iran during the first part of the Iran-Iraq conflict, which BTW was somewhat more important than a "limited number of outdated Tow missiles", was to support fundamentalism. In fact I NEVER said that the US supported fundamentalism but rather that they USED it as an asset to fight communist spread in the Middle East. What I said regarding Iran is instead that such support which was designed to fend off a Soviet penetration went to a fundamentalist rule. This is another example of the way the US used fundamentalism to control pro-Soviet sympathies.

The Soviets wouldn't mind Iraq recieving some aid from the west, because its an opportunity for them to see and look at western designed weapons.

:laugh::laugh:

BUT the USA did not supply Iraq with combat weapon systems at any time during the 8 year Iran/Iraq war. Money for food was sent at one time as well as a single shipment of a few military trucks and transport helicopters.

There's evidence of US armament supply to Iraq during the second part of the conflict around 1986/87.

The Iraqi military is in extremely poor condition when it comes to its major weapon systems, because of the loss of support from the old Soviet Union because sanctions have been in place since August of 1990, and not because the Soviet Union collapsed. Iraq needs the weapons and had its own money to pay for it sitting on the worlds second largest oil reserves. Since the Gulf war which wiped out 2/3s of Iraqi military equipment holdings, Iraq has not been able to rebuild their military because of the loss of their supplier. What Iraq does to cope is to cannabolize parts from other vehicles in order to keep certain tanks and other equipment operational. The loss of Soviet support has had an unbelievable detrimental effect on Iraqi military training, readiness and capability. It effects Iraq's ability to defend itself from foreign attack, but would not effect Saddams ability to put down civilian revolt that would never have chance to topple him without the support of the army.

Sorry but I fail to see your logic. My own point was that if Hussein had had such close ties with the Soviet Union as you claim, especially related to armament supply, since his army as you later state is what allows him to retain power, he would have collapsed soon after the Soviet Union did. BTW If his armament potential is in such a state what threat does he pose presently to the West?

I understand your reasoning of why Islamic fundamentalism would be a good tool against Soviet expansion, but Islamic fundamentalism was and is not as widespread to be that powerful a force to prevent Soviet expansion. Most important though you fail to really site a case where this indeed happened. In Afghanistan we supported any resistence that was available. All that was available was Islamic fundamentalist, but we would have supported a non-fundamentalist or secular group as well, if one existed there. In the case of Iran, the Shah was not a fundamentalist, and the USA stopped supporting Iran after the Shah was thrown out. A one time sending, of a few Tow missiles that did not even remotely confer Iran an advantage on the battlefield in exchange for hostages, cannot be construed in any way as support for Islamic fundamentalism as a check against Soviet expansion.

It isn't powerless either and it has actual control over certain areas in the Middle East. In fact you yourself said that Afghan anti Soviet forces were 100% fundamentalist because the area is controlled by them. There's also a strong fundamentalist foothold in Pakistan, in fact the Taleban were trained there, not to mention Iran which is under fundamentalist rule. I did cite examples but they weren't good enough for you. As for the last section I already answered above.

The US does not support any government in the middle east with the exception of Afghanistan through the deployment of US troops. US troops are deployed in some of these countries for operations and monitoring of Iraq. I can put out numbers if you need to see them. In Israel the USA supports Isreal to prevent it from being overrun by Arab countries that have attacked it 4 times in the past 50 years. We also support Israel's right to defend itself against Palestinian oppression that is fond of blowing up Israely teens in Disco's perhaps listening to U2! The Palestinians talk much of the Israely occupation by soldiers on the West Bank but do nothing to attack them. Instead they sneak into Tel Aviv and kill only civilian and non-military people going about their lives.

This rant replies to what? I did NOT say that the US supports any state in the Middle East, except Israel. What Palestinian "oppression" ??? In what way are the Palestinians oppressing Israel? Maybe you mean Palestinian "terror" . That's another story. As horrid and condemnable Palestinian (or any other) terrorist acts are, Israel's methods to defend itself have proved to be as terrorising as suicide bombing is. I mean that bulldozing civilian homes with people in them because terrorists were supposed to be inside as well and "were using civilians as shields" is as despicable and condemned under international law. It's disgusting to see that the US government supports such tactics. Re your suggestion that the Palestinians attack Israeli forces on the West Bank, in the first place they shouldn't have the need to since those territories were to be handed over by Israel under the Oslo agreement. In the second place, the Palestinian army is nonexistent in terms of fighting a real war against Israeli forces. It should also be noted that there can't be such an army since Palestine is not a state. With this I'm certainly not saying that I approve of their terrorist tactics.

If what you say is true about Saudi Arabia doing what the USA tells them to do, and there for the USA is resposible for aiding the Taliban in 1996, then I guess the USA is responsible for the suicide bombings in Israel that Saudi funds support and also takes part in giving funds to the families of suicide bombers which the Saudi's do as well. Sorry, I'm not buying that, not in a million years. Pakistan in addition to Saudi Arabia, have their own interest that they look after independently of the USA. Pakistan felt it was in interest to support the taliban to nuetralize what they felt was a threat from the Northern Alliance. Pakistan does not want to worry about having to put to many troops on its border with Afghanistan when war could break out with India's much larger army on its eastern border at any time. Pakistan in many ways is very independent of the USA and acts in its own interest. It was not the desire of the USA to see Pakistan develop a nuclear weapon, but they did despite protest from the USA. If Saudi Arabia was are servant, we wouldn't have any trouble going after Iraq and using Saudi Arabia as a base for are troops. Saudi Arabia is opposed to the strike on Iraq and is not allowing the USA to use its soil for a strike on Iraq. So Saudi Arabia nd Pakistan are very independent, Pakistan even more so, from the USA in their policy actions, and have interest that is sometimes of no concern to the USA are actually in conflict with the USA. Again, the USA pulled out of Afghanistan completely economically, politically, and militarily in 1989. Pakistan supported the Taliban not really out of love for their brand of Islam, but to destroy or subdue their enemy in the Northern Alliance, in order to focus more the military threat posed by India.

Re Saudi Arabia complying to US demands and requests, it's not "what I say", it's publicised and easily verifiable fact. World politics don't stick necessarily to transitive rules especially when facts occur at different times, that's why your conclusion about the US supporting suicide bombers isn't necessarily the logical derivation of the other fact. In the first place there's no proof of official Saudi funding of suicide bombers' families. Secondly it must be noted in any case that the once monolithic Saudi royal family and entourage has suffered some internal cracks as of recent. Some members are presently in disagreement with an 100% pro-US policy, mainly because of religious itches. Remember that Osama bin Laden is a Saudi Arab who belongs to a powerful family and is virulently opposed to the West for religious reasons (at least it's what he claims). Such aid to the bombers' families may very well come from dissenting branches of the Saudi high-class rather than from the official pro-US rule. Such internal unrest together with the fact that Saudi Arabia is actually an Islamic country and has an important role within the Islamic world explains the fact that it has not openly supported the US initiative to attack Iraq. However this does not mean that once the attack is launched they will prevent US troops from operating (officially or not) from their soil. In fact presently US troops are deployed in Saudi Arabia in territories considered holy by the Muslims, something which is seen as an affront to the Islamic faith. On another account we're not discussing what motives moved Pakistan to support the Taleban, simply the fact that it did and that the US did not oppose such initiative in any way.

I have not ignored your statements about US interventions eslewhere, but simply doubted their impact and influence on the country of which there is little if any proven evidence that US intervention directly led to these events, and that these events would not of happened without US intervention is not proven either. Only biased liberal claims on this one.

There really IS evidence and certainly not only biased liberal claims. There's lots of material to research on, not to menton direct contact with locals if visiting the said countries. That certain events wouldn't have happened without US intervention, there certainly can't be any evidence on that - that's conjecturing again. But there is evidence of what certain rulers supported by the US did to the people. Maybe other rulers would have been worse or maybe not. We can only state our opinion on what actually happened and not on what would have happened if the course of action had been different.

In response to your assertion of the weakness of the South Korean economy, I present the folowing GDP, Export and Import statistics. In addition to this I will also show the UNs latest estimate on the standard of living for the average person in all countries in the world, ranking them, and where Korea is in that rank, and where it was 10 years ago.

I did NOT make any assertion on the weakness of South Korean economy! I simply said that GDP and economy growth rates do not always reflect accurately the real well-being of a nation. I said when giving examples that reflect the lack of reliabilty of such figures that such could be the case of South Korea, but not necessarily that it was. What made me wonder is the emigration factor - not only to Latin America - I said ALSO to Latin America, a part of the world where the economies are certainly not in good shape. Such phenomenon did take place (I've seen some of it personally) mainly in the late 70s/early 80s and again in the early 90s. Something else which also may confirm a not so bright scenario are the figures you provided, in fact in the first half of the 90s their imports outweighed their exports and such a fact is as we know, certainly not awfully beneficial to a country's economy and the well-being of its people in the not so long run. South Korean economy has indeed picked up after the SE Asian crisis and it's more than possible that the US lent a helping hand since it's like you say, aiding an ally against the Chinese threat.

When it comes to monopolies, I realize there are monopolies outside the USA, but I was talking about inside the USA. I don't see where there is going to be this sudden concentration of oil reserves in US hands and even if that was so why that would lead to a monopoly? Private US companies control the oil and compete with each other. The Government has emergency supplies but thats it. You might conclude that Opec has a monopoly, but in actuallity they don't and Opec nations often compete with each other.

I'm talking about oil on an international scale. If the world's oil gets to be controlled totally by the US, even if there are different companies there will be a monopoly at state level. No, OPEC countries don't hold a monopoly since the US' own oil produce makes them almost self-sufficient. OPEC countries supply Europe mainly.

Again where is the high priced consumer goods that would be the natural result of a monopoly?

Again, I did not say that there is a monopoly NOW. I said that IF all of the world's oil is US (or whoever else) controlled there WILL BE a monopoly.

Globalism paves the way for competition

In theory.

capitalism, which is as the USA proves, the best economic system.

Yes, actually it is, provided you are not a marginal within the system.

Actually, Monopoly has more to do with Communism than Capitalism in theory. Capitalism is about competition and private ownership, monopoly is about the complete dominance of one group or organization over the market.

In theory yes I agree.

Government regulation of Capitalism prevents, occurances where monolpoly sometimes develop, and restores competition to the market by breaking up growing monopolies.

Well I adhere to this but it contradicts recalcitrant capitalist theories. Milton Friedman would have a fit.

Re the cease-fire issue and your reference to it in this and other posts I'll reply on my next entry.

Individuals who hold economic and financial power. Hmmmm....I may have some family members and friends of the family on that list, although I havn't seen them getting into black helicopters yet.

It wasn't "individuals" but groups, maybe the Davos Forum crowd should provide a clue. Black helicopters??? What for? There's no need to enact any sci-fi gimmick since it's pure white glove manipulation.

In response to STING2 re the cease-fire issue:

Originally posted by STING2
1. No one ever said that the USA had been given the position of world police. It is are right and duty to intefere with the affairs of others when their affairs effect the safety and security of US citizens!!!!!!!!!

It is. Pity that the US also interferes when the safety and security of American citizens is not even remotely threatened in any likely or proven way.

2. The US does decide which countries behavior PLUS weapons of mass destruction does threaten Its security and because of that are candidates for possible regime change. It is are right because their behavior PLUS certain weapons threatens are security and endangers are freedom and prosperity. Again we have the right to interfere with any country that interfere's with are affairs in a threatening way first, anywhere in the world.

The US can pose their case to the UN and it's the UN Security Council who has the prerogative to decide whether the threat is real and what course of action is to be taken - NOT the US or any other individual country. UN regulations can't be invoked at will only when a pretext is necessary to justify an attack on another country. You either agree to UN regulations and stand by them in every case or you don't.
Agree with Not George Lucas on this one.
On another account the US (or any other nation) don't have any right to determine if a country is "a candidate for a regime change". I wonder what would be the reaction of American citizens if a hypotetical alien power determined that the US was a candidate for a regime change. In any case the US can declare a war, win it and as a consequence bring about a change in government. However, the present international regulations regarding the legitimacy of a war declaration, etc need to be respected if the aggressor country claims to be a UN member.

3. Any attack on Iraq is NOT unprovoked! In 1991 Iraq signed a UN ceacefire agreement with the USA that called for among other things the complete unrestricted inspection and destruction of Iraq's weapons of mass destruction. Iraq has failed to comply with this UN resolution among others that led to the ceacefire agreement which put on pause US offensive operations against Iraq. Iraq's failure to comply with the UN ceasefire agreement allows the USA to resume offensive military operations against Baghdad that were put on hold in 1991 on the condition that Iraq complied with conditions in the ceacefire agreement. Rather than being in violation of international law like Iraq, the USA seems to be the only country willing to comply with the international law. The USA is the only country willing to enforce the UN ceacefire agreement that put on hold indefinitely the 1991 Gulf war. To sum up, a US invasion of Iraq is not only sanctioned by international law, but it is mandated, under the UN ceacefire agreement of 1991!

It is unprovoked indeed. You can't claim the non-compliance of UN agreements as an excuse to resume a war at the same time of riding roughshod over basic UN regulations! On the other hand Iraq has stated that it is open to re-allow UN inspectors in. It is even fact that UN inspectors in the past, such as Scott Ritter, have stated that there was no immediate threat since Iraq's weapons of mass destruction programme was eliminated when the UN inspectors left in 1997. There simply hasn't been enough time to re-establish such a programme. If Scott Ritter isn't credible enough what are other UN inspectors who had "access to sensitive information" Ritter hadn't, waiting for to discredit his claims? If "most other UN inspectors including all those that outranked him have an opposite opinion than he does" why isn't the UN convinced that Iraq poses a real threat with WMD and gives immediate green light to the American initiative of attacking? Why doesn't the rest of the west except Mr Blair's government support this operation?

4. The reason for a possible US invasion and regime change in Iraq have nothing to do with the actual events of 911. Again its Iraq's non-compliance with the condititions of the UN ceacefire agreement which allows the USA to resume offensive operations against Baghdad. This is about Iraq's behavior and weapons program, both in violation of the UN ceacefire agreement. It is about how Iraq's non-compliance with the conditions of the 1991 ceacefire agreement threaten the world. Iraq's unwillingness to cooperate over the past few years on such a serious matter makes their government a candidate for regime change.

Excuse me but it is not about this either. The non-compliance of the cease-fire terms is the pretext used to launch this attack which as you mentioned on another post is pre-emptive. The motives lie with the control of oil reserves and to the fact that Hussein's behaviour regarding US interest in the area is no longer controllable.

And now this from Europe:

The regional Schwaebisches Tagblatt newspaper quoted German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder's justice minister, Herta Daeubler-Gmelin, as saying "Bush wants to divert attention from his domestic problems. It's a classic tactic. It's one that Hitler used."

The Whole Story

Schroeder Apologizes to US for 'Hitler Comparison'
Fri Sep 20, 4:05 PM ET
By Kevin Liffey

BERLIN (Reuters) - German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder apologized to President Bush ( news - web sites) on Friday for the offence caused by a report that his justice minister had compared Bush's methods to Hitler's.

Reuters Photo

Reuters Photo
Slideshow: Germany Apologizes for Bush-Hitler Comparison

German Official Denies Bush-Hitler Comparison
(AP Video)

Our Tech Section is growing!

Check headlines for:
Internet, Enterprise, Software and more...

Technology News

The election-eve report in a regional daily angered a U.S. administration already upset about the center-left chancellor's voluble -- and highly popular -- opposition to a prospective U.S.-led war in Iraq.

Justice Minister Herta Daeubler-Gmelin tried to calm the transatlantic row on Friday by denying the report.

But reporters pressed her for over an hour on what appeared to be not only a breach of a German political taboo but a sharp affront to democratic Germany's long-time ally and guarantor.

White House spokesman Ari Fleischer ( news - web sites) called the remarks "outrageous and inexplicable" and Secretary of State Colin Powell ( news - web sites) rang German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer to complain.

The report said Daeubler-Gmelin had told a pre-election gathering that, by threatening to attack Iraq, "Bush wants to distract attention from his domestic political problems. That's a favorite method. Hitler did that too."

Schroeder wrote to Bush, saying: "I want to let you know how much I regret the fact that alleged comments by the German justice minister have given an impression that has offended you."

SHADOW ON RELATIONS

He said he had accepted Daeubler-Gmelin's denial and added, according to a German text provided by his office:

"Let me assure you that there is no place at my cabinet table for anyone who makes a connection between the American president and such a criminal."

Daeubler-Gmelin told reporters: "It is absurd and slanderous to connect me to a comparison between a democratically elected politician and Nazi leaders...I deeply regret that this has thrown shadows on German-American relations."

She said she had "great respect" for Bush and called U.S. ambassador Daniel Coats to say she had been misrepresented.

But it is not the first time in recent months that Coats has had to address fears of a deterioration in relations between two countries whose alliance rests on decades of Cold War cooperation against Soviet communism.

Schroeder angered Washington -- and earned opposition accusations of cheap electioneering -- by saying he would not lead Germany into a military "adventure" against Iraq and questioning whether the United States had a plan for Iraq after it had toppled President Saddam Hussein ( news - web sites).

For his part Schroeder -- who put his government on the line last year to win parliament's approval for German troops to join the U.S.-led war in Afghanistan ( news - web sites) -- has told Washington he is fed up of learning about its "changes of strategy" in the press.

U.S. officials say privately that Bush and his national security adviser Condoleezza Rice ( news - web sites) are angry and offended.

Klaus Naumann, former chairman of the military committee of the transatlantic NATO ( news - web sites) alliance, told the Tagesspiegel daily:

"I've just come from Washington, and I can tell you that relations are very badly damaged."

PRE-ELECTION MOOD

Opposition leaders demanded Schroeder sack his minister, but it remains to be seen whether the row will in any way hurt his re-election chances in Sunday's cliffhanger election.

His opposition to a military strike has touched a nerve in a nation scarred by two world wars. Many Germans are also critical of what they see as Bush's isolationism, for instance by rejecting international treaties on justice or the environment.

The daily Schwaebisches Tagblatt, which is based in Daeubler-Gmelin's constituency, admitted to being sympathetic to the minister and to some criticism of Bush.

But it said on its Web site that it had confirmed her comments with several trade unionists who attended the debate.

Editor-in-chief Christoph Mueller said the reporter had even given her the opportunity to dictate her own version of the comment, which she had approved when it was read back to her.

But he told Reuters she had later gone to see the paper to try to withdraw her comments entirely.

Daeubler-Gmelin denied having authorized any quote.

She told reporters that, in a discussion with union members, she had mentioned public debate in the United States about how foreign policy could divert attention from domestic problems: "I then said that we have known this debate since 'Adolf Nazi'."

She said she had seen that people in the group appeared to have misunderstood this, and then insisted that no comparison or connection could or should be made between Hitler and Bush

In response to Ultraviolet7:

In regards to what was the "normal rule of intervention" by the USA during the Cold War, US intervention in Europe was the normal rule of intervention during the Cold War, because most US intervention during the Cold War occured in Europe. The number of times we intervened in Europe in different ways, far outnumber the quantity and level of intervention anywhere else in the world. So the average or normal rule of intervention during the Cold War is typified by US intervention in Europe.

I don't deny that people suffered in Chile as a result of our actions. I question the degree to which we were directly responsible for that suffering and whether or not these things would of happened with or without US involvment. Speculation and conjecture of course, but still a valid point.

The Lenin and his followers in Russia were a minority at one point, but because they were aggressive, well organized, and able to manipulate the masses, they were eventually able to sieze the entire country. The point being that the small size does not mean that it can't grow into a threat. You say there was no real threat of a Communist take over or a government that was at least pro-Soviet to take over, but others working with the info at the time felt differently. Well never know for sure, but in the context of the Cold War back then, some action needed to be taken to secure US interest in the region and to prevent Soviet supported groups from gaining any foothold.

I don't buy the theory that the CIA operations in Latin America were done for the financial gain of the USA in the way you describe. I realize the problems with loaning money to these regimes that simply lined their own pockets, was unwise policy, but the intent was to help the situation there, not make it worse. Its simply not in the long term interest of the USA to impoverish a continent of people and there by make them more susceptible to communist revolution.

If you think the standard of living in Chile and Argentina is worse now than it was in 1970, please prove it. Is life expectancy less in these countries today than it was 30 years ago? Is literacy less in these countries than it was 30 years ago? How about the average number years in school? What is per-capita GDP compared to 30 years ago?

According to the UN Human Development Report for 2001, the standard of living in Argentina is #34 in the world, while Chile is #39. I don't have the UN Human Development Report for 1970, but I doubt Chile and Argentina were in the top 40 back then. To be better off in 1970 than they are today would mean that in 1970 they had a standard of living equal or superior to many European countries. I've not seen anything to substantiate that.

Columbian Guerrillas threaten the Columbian government and peace and stability in the country. In addition they make huge sums of money by helping to supply drugs to the streets of America. They are a threat to the USA because of these things.

Grenada and Guatamala had forces that were Soviet supported and a threat to US interest in the region, especially in light of the context of the Cold War. Noreiga was a threat to US interest in Panama because of the importance of the Panama Canal. His behavior was totaly unexceptable and involved the murder of a US serviceman.

We certainly did help many of the governments to power that wasted US aid money, but that certainly was not our intent that they should use the money like that. With the Cold War over, we can use other criteria for determinining when and where we give aid, but the Cold War was a crises situation in which we tried to make the best of bad situations considering the many threats, restrictions or constraints we had to operate under.

Vietnam today would be far better off if the USA had not abandon South Vietnam in the early 70s. Who do you think is better off in Korea today, the North or the South?

Certainly foreign intervention has caused problems as you say, but in general when considering US intervention, it is a net benefit over the long run for the that country.

I agree that the US only supported those that would with absolute certainty pursue the goal, what was not certain though was whether the goal would be attained given the limited resources available to these non-Eurpean area's of the Cold War.

Actually if the only groups in Afghanistan opposing the Soviets were Nazi's we would support them. Considering the threat from the Soviets it would be totally justified. After all your not going to question US support for Stalins Soviet Union during World War II are you? My point of course is the fact that we did support the resistence in Afghanistan, that happened to be fundamentalist, is not evidence of a worldwide campaign by the USA to use Islamic fundamentalism as a bulwark against Soviet expansion. Evidence for this is severely lacking.

The rising of fundamentilism was not an asset to the USA in fending off Soviet penetration of the region. We already had the Shah to do that, but when he fell we lost what ever leverage we had with Iran before. This also created a new threat in addition to Soviets in the region. Undetered Islamic fundamentalism put the USA in the position of sitting and cheering for the Soviets client state, Iraq. US weapons sent to Iran for hostages were outdated Tow missiles. If you know of other weapons systems please state the type and the quantity.

The Soviets would not mind US weapons being sold to any country they had influence in, so long as their overall influence was not compromised. Rather its the USA that would be concerned about sending US weapons that could fall into Soviet hands with their technology being copied and fielded by the Soviets. With much older weapons this would not be a concern, but definitely with new weapons it would be. The Soviets copied things they came accross all the time. The Israely's created a brand new (explosive) armor called reactive armor for tanks before their invasion of Lebanon in 1982. During the course of the conflict, Syrian troops came across a reactive armor tile that had fallen off an Israely tank. They gave it to the Soviets. In the next 2-3 years, every single Soviet tank in Eastern Europe was fitted with this brand new armor, causing western anti-tank weapons designer's to briefly go back to the drawing board to defeat the new armor. The point is, the Soviets always did everything they could to steal or study western technology.

You say there is evidence of US armanment supply to Iraq in 1986/1987. If thats so please state weapon system and the quantity sent. I'll stop here briefly and post what Iraq had as far as weapon systems, in what quantity, and where they came from as of June 1, 1989.

I hope this won't take me to long, but here is the military organisation and equipment holdings for Iraq as of June 1, 1989. This information comes from The Military Balance 1989-1990 published by Brassey's for THE INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR STRATEGIC STUDIES. The IISS is an independent, internationally staffed centre for research, information and debate on the problems of security, conflict and conflict control, arms and arms control in the modern world.

The equipment tables list all weapon systems and usually list type or name. It does not actually list country of origion, but from my own knowledge backed up by other sources on military weapons, I am able to list if the weapon system is Soviet, Chinese, French, German, USA, etc. for most of the weapons in the equipment table that have a type listed but not all. Weapon systems that are not known are from countries other than the Soviet Union, China, or the USA. The combat weapon systems that are listed as USA are captured weapons systems from Iran and are listed as inoperable. The same applies for British weapon systems found in the table. Iraq only has small numbers of both.

TOTAL ARMED FORCES:
ACTIVE: 1,000,000
RESERVES: 850,000

ARMY: 955,000
7 corps HQ.
7 armd/mech divisions.
42 inf divisions
6 Presidential Guard Force Divisions(3 armored, 1 infrantry, 1 cdo brigade)
20+ SF Brigades
2 SSM Brigades

EQUIPMENT:
MAIN BATTLE TANKS: 5,500: 2,500 T-54/-55(SOVIET) M-77(ROMANIAN), 1,000 T-59/-69(CHINESE), 1,000 T-62(SOVIET), 1,000 T-72(SOVIET), 30: Chieftain(United Kingdom), M-60(USA), M-47(USA).
LIGHT TANKS: 100 PT-76(SOVIET)

RECONNAISSANCE: BRDM-2(SOVIET), 300 AML-60/-90(?), FUG-70(?), ERC-90(FRENCH), Mowag Roland(GERMAN), EE-9 Cascavel(?), 300 EE-3 Jararaca(?)

ARMORED INFANTRY FIGHTING VEHICLES: 1,000 BMP(SOVIET)

ARMORED PERSONAL CARRIERS: 7,100: BTR-50/-60/-152(SOVIET), OT-62/-64(CZECH), M-113A1(USA), Panhard M-3(?), EE-11 Urutu(?)
TOWED ARTILLERY: 3,000: 105mm: M-56 pack(?); 122mm: D-74(SOVIET), D-30(SOVIET), M-1938(SOVIET); 130mm: M-46(SOVIET), Type 59-1(CHINESE); 152mm: M-1937(SOVIET), M-1943(SOVIET); 155mm: 100 G-5(SOUTH AFRICA), 200 GHN-45(?), M-114(?)

SELF-PROPELLED ARTILLERY: 500: 122mm: 2S1(SOVIET); 152mm: 2S3(SOVIET); 155mm: M-109(USA); 85 AUF-1 (GCT)(?)

MULTIPLE ROCKET LAUNCHERS: 200: 122mm: BM-21(SOVIET); 127mm: 60 astros II(IRAQ); 128mm: Ababil(IRAQ); 132mm: BM-13/-16(SOVIET); 180mm: astros SS-40(IRAQ); 300mm: astros SS-60(IRAQ)

MORTARS: 81mm; 120mm; 160mm.(type's not given)

SURFACE TO SURFACE MISSILE(launchers): 30 FROG-7(SOVIET); Sijil(IRAQ); 36 Scud B(SOVIET); Abbas(IRAQ); Husayn(IRAQ).

ANTI-TANK GUIDED WEAPONS: AT-3 Sagger(SOVIET), AT-4 Spigot(SOVIET), SS-11(FRENCH), Milan(GERMAN), HOT(FRENCH).

RECOILLESS LAUNCHER(S): 73mm: SPG-9(SOVIET); 82mm: B-10(SOVIET); 107mm(type not listed)

ANTI-TANK GUNS: 85mm(type not listed); 100mm towed(SOVIET); 105mm: 100 JPz(GERMAN), SK-105 SP(?)

HELICOPTERS: some 160 armed helicopters.
ATTACK: 40 Mi-24 with AT-2 swatter(SOVIET), 20 SA-342(FRENCH); 13 SA-321(FRENCH), some 30 SA-316B(FRENCH), 56 Bo-105(GERMAN)
TRANSPORT: heavy: 15 Mi-6(SOVIET); medium: 100 Mi8/-17(SOVIET), 6 AS-61(?), 10 SA-330(FRENCH), 20 Mi-4(SOVIET), lt: 3 A-109(?), 5 AB-212(?), 40 Bell 214 ST(USA) Hughes 300C/500D/530F (30/30/26)(USA), 30 SA-342(FRENCH)

AIR-DEFENSE GUNS: 4,000: 23mm: ZSU-23-4 SP(SOVIET); 37mm: M-1939(SOVIET); 57mm: ZSU-57-2 SP(SOVIET); 85mm(no type listed); 100mm(no type listed); 130mm(no type listed).

SURFACE TO AIR MISSILE'S: 120 SA-2(SOVIET), 150 SA-3(SOVIET), SA-6(SOVIET), SA-7(SOVIET), SA-9(SOVIET), SA-13(SOVIET), SA-14(SOVIET), 60 Roland(GERMAN).

NAVY: 5,000

FRIGATES: 5:
4 Hittin (lt Lupo) with 1AB-212 hel(asw)(?) 2 x 3 ASTT(?); plus 8 x Otomat SSM, 1 x 127mm gun(?). 1 Khaldoum (training) with 2 x ASTT(?).
MISSILE CRAFT: 8 Nisan 7 (Sov Osa) with 4 x SS-N-2 Styx SSM(SOVIET)
TORPEDO CRAFT: 6 Sov P-6 with 2 x 533mm TT(SOVIET)
PATROL INSHORE: 20: 3 SO-1, 4 Nyryat II, 13(?)
MINE WARFARE: 8:
MCM: 2 Sov T-43 MSC, 6 MSI(SOVIET)
AMPHIBIOUS: 6
3 Al Zahraa LST(?), capacity 250tps, 20 tk, 1 hel.
3 Sov Polnocny LSM(SOVIET), capacity 180 tps, 6 tk.
SUPPORT AND MISCELLANEOUS: 3: 1 Agnadeen(lt Stromboli)(?) AOR, 2 Presidential yachts.

AIR FORCE: 40,000 incl 10,000 Air Defense personnel; 513 combat aircraft.
BOMBERS: 2 sqn:
1 with 8 Tu-22(SOVIET); 1 with 8 Tu-16(SOVIET), 4 H-6D(CHINESE)

FIGHTER'S, GROUND ATTACK: 17 sqn:
4 with 70 Mig-23BN(SOVIET)
4 with 64 Mirage F-1EQ5/EQ5-200(FRENCH)
2 with 30 Su-7(SOVIET)
2 with 50 Su-20(SOVIET)
2 with 30 Su-25(SOVIET)
2 with 40 J-6(CHINESE)

FIGHTER: 16 sqn with 25 Mig-25(SOVIET), 80 J-7(CHINESE), 70 Mig-21(SOVIET), 30 Mirage F-1EQ(FRENCH), 18 Mig-29(SOVIET)

RECON: 1 sqn of 8 Mig-25(SOVIET)

TRANSPORT: 2sqn 10 An-2(?); 6 An-12(?); 6 An-24(?); 2 An-26(?), 19 Il-76(?), 19Il-14(?)

AIR TO AIR MISSILE'S: R-530(?), R-550(?) Majic, AA-2/-6/-7/-8(?)
AIR TO SURFACE MISSILE'S: AS-30 Laser(?), Armat, Exocet AM-39, C-601, AS-4, AS-5.

As one can see from the list, the Soviet Union was the chief supplier of weapons to Iraq followed distantly by China and France with others making smaller contributions. The small number of USA combat equipment listed in the totals was captured from Iran during the Iran/Iraq war. There are transport helicopters(non-combat) that were supplied to Iraq. If anyone created the Iraqi war machine it should be clear from this that its MOSCOW. The Soviets kept a force of 2,000 troops and advisors in Iraq through the Iran/Iraq war and up to a couple of months before the USA invasion of Iraq in 1991. Not only did the Soviets supply most of Iraq's weapons, but they also trained their pilots tankers and other troops in Soviet Military, tactics, doctrine, and theory's!

The fact that Iraq's military was heavily dependent on the Soviet Union does not mean Saddam would colapse when the Soviet Union broke up. First Saddam was already cut off from the Soviet Union before it colapsed, sanctions on Iraq started in August 1990 while the break up of the Soviet Union started in August of 1991.

As you can see from weapons tables I posted Iraq had massive support from the Soviet Union and relied on imports from them for most of their major weapon systems. Some spare parts were later able to be locally produced with Soviet help. Iraq lost nearly 2/3s of the equipment in the table, in the 1991 Gulf War. Iraq has been unable to replace this equipment and has often canabolized other weapon systems to keep others running. Despite the loss of their weapons suppliers, Iraq does have a sizable amount of weapons left, enough to crush any revolt against its rule and to perhaps defend against a major invasion by Iran, although after 11 years this is in serious doubt. But without a doubt, Saddam could crush a civilian uprising. Saddam would need far less than what he had left after the 1991 Gulf War to do that.

The Soviet Unions colapse does not mean that is former client states would colapse as well. Look at North Korea and Cuba. But lets go back to the weapons table for June 1, 1989. That alone tells you who armed and built the Iraqi war machine.

Iraq today is not a conventional military threat to its neighbors so long as the USA continue's to have a limited force in the region with pre-positioned stocks of equipment for other forces to quickly come in.

Iraq's threat today is its Chem/Bio/Nuclear program to produce WMD weapons to possibly supply terrorist to use them in a strike on defensless US civilians or anyone else, with the trace back to the Iraqi government hidden. Iraq's Chem/Bio/Nuclear program is a terrorist threat because, it is only through conventional weapons systems and forces that the Iraqi's can take and hold land in Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia or anywhere else. It is true that a Nuclear Weapon could aid in attacks on these and other countries, but Bio/Chem weapons are really only likely to be effective in terrorist attacks against unprotected civilians. The military has protective equipment and gear to defend them from Bio/Chem attacks and the main effect on them would be the restrictions incurred when fighting with protective equipment on and other restrictions when operating in a Bio/Chem environment.

I don't see Israely responses to Palestinian terror to be the equal of suicide bombers at all. The reason that Palestinians suffer so many casaulties is that the Palestinian terrorist use civilian area's to make their stand, instead of going to the hills away from the cities to fight the Isrealy army. By using palestinian towns and cities as ways to withstand Israely attempts to bring justice to them, Palestinian terrorist attempt to use their own civilians to shield them and frustrate Israely attempts to bring them to justice. It would be impossible for the IDF to prevent all civilians from getting caught up in the crossfire since the terrorist decide to make their stands in the cities. Not only are the Palestinian Terrorist killing Israely teens in Disco's but their killing their own people by attempting to fight the Israelies in the cities rather than facing them in the hills. Their location determines where the fight will be, and they always choose to fight in the cities. In those situations civilian losses are unavoidable. These terrorist are largely responsible for the loss of life on both sides.

Again saying that the Palestinians have no army is no rationalization for blowing up teens in a disco perhaps listening to U2. How would that effect the situation on the West Bank which is supposedly what they are fighting for? Its just idiotic, stupid, accomplishes nothing for anyone or anyside.

Israely force on the other hand is used for legitmate security concerns. Israel is not going to withdraw until the threat to its security is gone. This is not just about Palestinian Terrorism, but the threat from foreign invasion which happened 4 times in the last century. Israel is a tiny country and easy to overrun given other circumstances. The high ground on the west bank is excellant defensible terrain and should not be given up until its security without it from foreign invasion is insured and the threat of terrorism from it is if not neutralized for good, contained to a level that is acceptable to the people of Israel.

In regards to Pakistan and their support of the Taliban, they supported the Taliban in order to defeat their enemies in the Northern Alliance. You seem to imply that nothing happens in this region unless the US lets it happen. That was far from the truth before 9/11. Back when the taliban was being formed in the mid 90s, Pakistan was under US sanctions. So again, your claim that because the US supported Pakistan and there for supported the Taliban just doesn't fly. If you have proof to show that the US helped create the taliban lets see it. The fact is, the USA pulled out of this region, militarily, economically, and politically when the Soviets left in 1989.

In regards to the balance of exports and imports, importing more than you export does not mean a country is not economically healthy. The country with the longest and largest trade deficit is the USA. The Trade Deficit in fact reached its peak during the height of US economic expansion in the 1990s. The year that the South East Asian Crises hit South Korea, exports in Korea in fact jumped way ahead of imports. Part of the reason is the weak Korean currency made Korean exports cheaper, but of course made imports more expensive. In addition the normal buying power of Koreans which decreased helped to bring down imports as well. But back to the USA, one of the reasons the USA has such a large trade deficit is we have one of the most open economies to internaternational trade which benefits other countries directly and only later indirectly benefits the USA.

In regards to the ceacefire issue:

Sorry but I disagree with your statement that the US intervenes when the safety and security of its citizens is not threatened even remotely.

The UN is not a world government and the UN does not decide when the government of the United States can and cannot defend its citizens! The USA is willing to cooperate with the international community but not to the point that it compromises the safety and security of its citizens. It would be absurd if we did. The problem is the international community that refuses or is unable to enforce any of the resolutions it passes including the most important ones that regard to Iraq and international security.

It is not unprovoked to attack Iraq but is in fact mandated by the ceacefire agreement which Iraq signed! The ceacefire agreement had conditions and Iraq has been in open violation of them since 1998. That means technically and legally that the 1991 Gulf War restarted in 1998 and that we have been at war with Iraq since then. Scott Ritter stated when he resigned from the UN team in 1998 that Iraq was still a threat to the international community and still had WMD capability and could reconstitute much of the capability they destroyed in 6 months. Those are Scott Ritter's words from 1998 when he was on the inspection team, and the last time he was in a position to know anything. As far as senior members of the team speaking out, I guess you never heard Richard Butler or David Kay.

I don't have an explanation for why much of the international community does not want to enforce 16 of its own resolutions against Iraq. I know its not based on the facts of Saddam's threat to the international community. Much of the world is under the mistaken belief that force is not necessary to enforce these resolutions against Saddam. After 4 years though, they have failed to come up with an alternative solution that will enforce these resolutions without force and will not repeat the same dumb dance which often occured when the UN went to visit sensitive sites. Iraq would simply pause, while they removed what the UN was looking for out the back and then they would let them in. UN inspections while successful in many cases before 1998 were also often a joke.

Its true that the USA is concerned about Saddam Hussains development of WMD would threaten the region which is important to the USA, but its also because his behavior in the region indicates that he could threaten area's beyond the immediate region. The ceacefire agreement is for a war that was fought to restore peace and security to the region and now his open violation of that threatens the region and given the effectivness of terrorist groups, any place in the world.

I brought up the Ceacefire agreement in response to Not George Lucas's claim that an attack would be unprovoked and against international law. International law is the ceacefire agreement which has been broken by them which means we are legally at war already. If you want to bring the "UN" and "international law" into this, it is according to both legal for the US to attack. But if international law is not applicable to this case because you feel the USA has a double standard, then don't bring it or the international community up! The US, if it has to, will act unilateraly to defend itself and its allies.

Sting2
I guess this discussion has reached a stagnant point since most of what you've replied you had already stated before and have not added any new input based on my own response. It makes no sense then that I reply all over again to the same points. Obviously you've got a point of view on American foreign policy and I have a different one. Nevertheless I have to necessarily clarify a few misconceptions derived of the mistaken interpretation of my previous posts and there are a couple of points I'd like to respond to:

I don't deny that people suffered in Chile as a result of our actions. I question the degree to which we were directly responsible for that suffering and whether or not these things would of happened with or without US involvment. Speculation and conjecture of course, but still a valid point.

Well Pinochet was responsible for Chilean people's suffering and his rise to power was the result of a CIA run operation.

I don't buy the theory that the CIA operations in Latin America were done for the financial gain of the USA in the way you describe. I realize the problems with loaning money to these regimes that simply lined their own pockets, was unwise policy, but the intent was to help the situation there, not make it worse. Its simply not in the long term interest of the USA to impoverish a continent of people and there by make them more susceptible to communist revolution.

We certainly did help many of the governments to power that wasted US aid money, but that certainly was not our intent that they should use the money like that. With the Cold War over, we can use other criteria for determinining when and where we give aid, but the Cold War was a crises situation in which we tried to make the best of bad situations considering the many threats, restrictions or constraints we had to operate under.

There's nothing for you to buy since I'm not trying to "sell" you anything. I'm just stating easily verifiable fact. If the policies applied during the last 25 years in Latin America aren't first world subservient, I don't know what else they could be called. That "it was not US intent that they should use the money like that" is rather a feeble argument since it is obvious that dictatorial governments are easily prone to lining their pockets and not serving the people's needs since they don't have to respond to the people's mandate. You can't seriously believe that your government didn't know who they were helping and what they were doing with the money loaned/granted. Your previous statement "some action needed to be taken to secure US interest in the region" is more appropriate.

If you think the standard of living in Chile and Argentina is worse now than it was in 1970, please prove it. Is life expectancy less in these countries today than it was 30 years ago? Is literacy less in these countries than it was 30 years ago? How about the average number years in school? What is per-capita GDP compared to 30 years ago?
According to the UN Human Development Report for 2001, the standard of living in Argentina is #34 in the world, while Chile is #39. I don't have the UN Human Development Report for 1970, but I doubt Chile and Argentina were in the top 40 back then. To be better off in 1970 than they are today would mean that in 1970 they had a standard of living equal or superior to many European countries. I've not seen anything to substantiate that.

I happen to live in Argentina and I can perfectly well prove what I have to say. In fact the following are examples excerpted from first-hand experience and not from data sheets. In 1970 my parents, standard middle-class people: a father running an independent small scale trading business and a mother with a standard secretary job at an office could send me, their only child to a private bi-lingual school, pay for all the side frills (books, school transportation, diner, social life involved, etc), send me to a sports club, pay for music lessons, buy food and clothing for all of us, pay all the bills and taxes, provide for a proper health scheme, eat out regularly and holiday for a month a year. This with basic variations was as I said standard middle-class lifestyle. Today a middle-class family similar to my own of the time can't possibly hope in their wildest dreams for such a standard of living. In fact to live in that style nowadays is only the prerogative of very rich people. Presently a middle-class family of three similar to my own in 1970 can barely send their child to a public school, let alone pay for sports clubs or music lessons, forget ESL, brand-new books or extra-neighbourhood schools (basically to save on transportation costs). Nowadays the standard middle-class Argentinian family has to forget about cable TV, home insurance, entertainment expenses, eating out and holidays longer than a week a year if they can be afforded at all, they can barely use their single car (NOT one per family member) because of the outrageous price of petrol - the recent bicycle boom as popular transportation medium is self-explanatory - they can't possibly pay all their bills and taxes let alone afford private pre-paid health systems. The latter is really a necessity since the public health system is run-down to say the least, many employers don't contribute towards unions' social security systems for their employees (in many cases because they can't otherwise they have to close down) and there's 30% by official statements unemployment which means that a lot of people have no possibility to access union social security altogether and have to consequentially lean on the public system which lacks amongst other things basic hospital material such as bandages and aspirin.

Professionals. My best friend is an architect, has been working as such with a partner for many years and managed to make a basic but decent living out of it. Today as an experienced professional she can barely lay something to eat on her family's table, is up to her neck in debt and has to think about emigrating as many others have already done, accept any other sort of job (taxi driving is quite popular among unemployed professionals) or be faced with the reality that ends won't meet anyway whatever extra expense she gives up.

Pensioners. Both my mother and my father contributed during their whole lives more than generously towards their pensions expecting to receive a decent salary the day they retired. Adding up both pensions together they don't make HALF what the government officially stated is necessary for a family to barely SURVIVE. Such figures, as we know, are by far lower than the real cost of living. My parents' present income is barely enough to cover only partially their health scheme rate. Fortunately they were able to put aside some money, a luxury very few people can afford nowadays in this country, and I'm priviliged to have a decently paid job, though not as well as in the past, and I can help out, but I can because my own lifestyle is fairly simple (no car, no mobile phone, no fancy frills) and don't have any children. To count on savings and relatives who can contribute financially is certainly not the case with most pensioners. Re savings it's interesting to point out BTW that most people who had some money set aside placed it in the form of term deposits in different local banks. Last December shortly before the elected government was ousted all bank deposits were virtually state-confiscated. This means that most people who were counting on those deposits for various expenses or merely surviving off them just can't now.

All these examples which are REAL and are certainly not exceptions to the rule - in fact they constitute the rule itself - are from Buenos Aires, where the situation is by far better than in the rest of the country. In remote areas and in the growing shanty towns that surround the larger cities people are literally STARVING and KILLING for food. For proof it's enough to see the thousands of homeless who invade the main cities daily scavenging garbage containers for food or recyclable material to sell in order to buy the day's single meal, not to mention all the ones including kids who beg in the streets, subways and even sneak to do so in restaurants and bars Furthermore the wild escalation in crime rates this situation has brought about as of late was unheard of. The other day I was watching on TV a religious congregation principal being interviewed, it was a nun who'd come all the way from India to supervise her congregation's Argentinian branch situated in a place called Santiago Del Estero, 700 miles north of Buenos Aires. She was saying that she was appalled at the conditions people were living over there and that she had barely seen in INDIA's most impoverished areas what she saw in Santiago Del Estero. This country is NOT India, it is full of resources yet our children are suffering from malnutrition and many are DYING from STARVATION. So much for #34 in standard of living rankings and per capita GDP figures.

Re literacy and average numbers in schools. Literacy is actually lower than 30 years ago when this country held one of the lowest illiteracy rates in the non-developed world. Illiteracy rates started climbing a few years ago due to the increasingly critical economic situation which resulted in kids being removed from school at a young age to be sent to work. More recently the reason changed since there's no work available: parents esp in remote areas can't financially afford to even send their children to school. They only may do so provided the school secures the child his/her daily meal. In addition it must be mentioned that the children and young people who do manage to go to school get a really sub-standard education, since the once excellent level of public education has plummetted in the last few years. This is due to various factors: the ludicrous pay teachers get which doesn't allow for selection of really capable or fully committed teaching staff, the dramatic reduction in education budget which prevents modernisation of contents, methods and learning material, the increase of demand due to the fact that less and less people can afford private education for their children, the need at government level to show for high numbers of yearly school graduation which necessarily leads to the lowering of minimum promotion standards. This is a result mainly of: misuse of public money on part of past administrations, several of which externally supported, IMF stringent conditions to pay back debt no matter what area has to be subjected to cutbacks and the interest of certain administrations (in particular the same previously mentioned) in providing low-quality education, since it is known that poorly educated people are easier to manipulate at will.

Re life expectancy. A run-down public health system, undepaid nursing and medical staff at every level including in private systems, malnutrition, diseases such as cholera which had been done away with in the past but reappeared together with others brand new to us like hantavirus and leptospyrosys as a result of the conditions of lack of hygiene some people have to live in even in city suburbs due to the lack of proper sewage and water supply don't contribute precisely to prolongued life expectancy. 30 years ago you didn't hear of malnutrition or diseases such as the above mentioned which as it is clear are the result of rampant poverty.

Certainly foreign intervention has caused problems as you say, but in general when considering US intervention, it is a net benefit over the long run for the that country.

It's a net benefit from your point of view. Your point of view is not necessarily the supreme truth.

I agree that the US only supported those that would with absolute certainty pursue the goal, what was not certain though was whether the goal would be attained given the limited resources available to these non-Eurpean area's of the Cold War.

The "limited resources available" were more than enough to handle intervention in the non-European areas. Again the US would not have put up a single cent if success was not minimally guaranteed.

Actually if the only groups in Afghanistan opposing the Soviets were Nazi's we would support them. Considering the threat from the Soviets it would be totally justified.

Machiavelli seems to be a favourite inspiring character in your list. He certainly isn't in mine. The policy of using "whatever there is available" to counter a temporary greater evil regardless whether the ethics and inspiring principles of the said group are minimally compatible with the US' own, added to the fact of later turning against these previously useful assets, reflects an inherent despise of basic ethical principles which not only do I find revolting but is also contradictory of the very values the US claims to stand for.

My point of course is the fact that we did support the resistence in Afghanistan, that happened to be fundamentalist

The US also supported disgusting dictators who "happened" to systematically violate human rights, governments led by the likes of the Saudi royal family or the Shah who "happen/ed" to oppress their own people.

My point of course is the fact that we did support the resistence in Afghanistan, that happened to be fundamentalist, is not evidence of a worldwide campaign by the USA to use Islamic fundamentalism as a bulwark against Soviet expansion. Evidence for this is severely lacking.

What "worldwide campaign"??? What "evidence" do you expect, an official statement from the US government? Or perhaps merchandising with the Stars and Stripes and a slogan in the line of "A fundamentalist a day keeps the Soviet away"??? Facts are there to see, if you prefer not to it's your business.

The rising of fundamentilism was not an asset to the USA in fending off Soviet penetration of the region.

Well they were in Afghanistan and in every other area they control since they are clearly anti-communist.

US weapons sent to Iran for hostages were outdated Tow missiles. If you know of other weapons systems please state the type and the quantity.

We're not talking of "weapons sent to Iran for hostages" but rather weapons sold to Iran during the conflict which was publicised fact at the time. I can hardly have access to the type and quantity.

The point is, the Soviets always did everything they could to steal or study western technology.

They certainly did in the same way the west in turn didn't spare efforts to try and find out what the Soviets were up to.

As one can see from the list, the Soviet Union was the chief supplier of weapons to Iraq followed distantly by China and France with others making smaller contributions. The small number of USA combat equipment listed in the totals was captured from Iran during the Iran/Iraq war. There are transport helicopters(non-combat) that were supplied to Iraq. If anyone created the Iraqi war machine it should be clear from this that its MOSCOW. The Soviets kept a force of 2,000 troops and advisors in Iraq through the Iran/Iraq war and up to a couple of months before the USA invasion of Iraq in 1991. Not only did the Soviets supply most of Iraq's weapons, but they also trained their pilots tankers and other troops in Soviet Military, tactics, doctrine, and theory's!

It was unnnecessary to post all that information, which BTW doesn't make sense other than to armament experts (but thanks anyway), since I never said that Iraq wasn't supplied by the Soviet Union. I simply said that the fact that they bought from the Soviet Union mainly didn't necessarily make them a Soviet satellite state. BTW I fail to follow your logic on the following statement "the small number of USA combat equipment listed in the totals was captured from Iran during the Iran/Iraq war". Didn't you say that Iran was NOT supplied by the US with equipment other than "a few outdated Tow missiles in exchange for hostages"??

The fact that Iraq's military was heavily dependent on the Soviet Union does not mean Saddam would colapse when the Soviet Union broke up. First Saddam was already cut off from the Soviet Union before it colapsed, sanctions on Iraq started in August 1990 while the break up of the Soviet Union started in August of 1991.

Certainly not. That was precisely my point. He would have collapsed if Iraq had been a Soviet satellite state which you implied was but really was not. On the other hand the breakup of the Soviet Union started well before August 1991. That was the date it officially broke up but the process was under way since much earlier.

Again saying that the Palestinians have no army is no rationalization for blowing up teens in a disco perhaps listening to U2

I never said it was and certainly don't appreciate that you should even remotely imply that I justify terrorist acts. My reference about their not having an army was in reply to your suggestion that they counter Israeli forces militarily.

I don't see Israely responses to Palestinian terror to be the equal of suicide bombers at all. The reason that Palestinians suffer so many casaulties is that the Palestinian terrorist use civilian area's to make their stand, instead of going to the hills away from the cities to fight the Isrealy army. By using palestinian towns and cities as ways to withstand Israely attempts to bring justice to them, Palestinian terrorist attempt to use their own civilians to shield them and frustrate Israely attempts to bring them to justice. It would be impossible for the IDF to prevent all civilians from getting caught up in the crossfire since the terrorist decide to make their stands in the cities. Not only are the Palestinian Terrorist killing Israely teens in Disco's but their killing their own people by attempting to fight the Israelies in the cities rather than facing them in the hills. Their location determines where the fight will be, and they always choose to fight in the cities. In those situations civilian losses are unavoidable. These terrorist are largely responsible for the loss of life on both sides.

Excuse me but bulldozing Palestinian homes because terrorists were using their own civilians as shields is hardly an attempt on the IDF's part to "prevent all civilians from getting caught up in the crossfire". Anyway the fact that Palestinian terrorists use their own civilians as shields is not a valid pretext to justify the murder of innocent civilians on part of the IDF since putting at risk innocent lives through violent action against criminals who use civilians as shields is condemned by international law. Such methods are in practice equivalent to suicide bombers' regarding deliberate targeting of innocent people. Do you condone that the police try to shoot down a criminal while the lives of hostages are at risk? Or is it that Palestinian civilians are seen as "collateral damage" because they are Palestinian? Would the IDF be so virulent in trying to zero in on terrorists if they were using Israeli civilians as shields instead? And BTW your suggestion that they go to the hills and fight the Israeli army is ridiculous since they resort to terrorist methods precisely because they can't size up against the Israeli army which is much more powerful. They obviously attack where they feel they have more chances to score a more incisive strike. Before you jump into conclusions and misconstrue again, I'm NOT saying with this that the terrorist approach of attacking innocent people is justified, I'm trying to put across the notion of why they do it and why they don't wage a straightforward war.

the threat of terrorism from it is if not neutralized for good

The threat of terrorism will be neutralised for good in the area the day Palestinians are given a place to live in which they can administrate for themselves.

The UN is not a world government and the UN does not decide when the government of the United States can and cannot defend its citizens! The USA is willing to cooperate with the international community but not to the point that it compromises the safety and security of its citizens. It would be absurd if we did. The problem is the international community that refuses or is unable to enforce any of the resolutions it passes including the most important ones that regard to Iraq and international security.

The US is a UN member and as such must comply with UN regulations when operating on the foreign front. The UN will certainly not oppose any measure designed to preserve the safety of the citizens of a member nation. If it does it is because there's no conclusive proof that such safety is really impaired. If the US wants to makes its own decisions it is free to leave the UN.

Scott Ritter stated when he resigned from the UN team in 1998 that Iraq was still a threat to the international community and still had WMD capability and could reconstitute much of the capability they destroyed in 6 months. Those are Scott Ritter's words from 1998 when he was on the inspection team, and the last time he was in a position to know anything. As far as senior members of the team speaking out, I guess you never heard Richard Butler or David Kay

Well it's not what he is saying now, however no, I haven't in fact heard of Butler or Kay since they never stepped up to discredit what Ritter is claiming. If they have different knowledge based on more trustworthy sources they should step up and publicise it and thus contribute to the public's better information. However, how come they haven't been able to persuade UN officials about the threat Iraq is posing?

If you want to bring the "UN" and "international law" into this, it is according to both legal for the US to attack. But if international law is not applicable to this case because you feel the USA has a double standard, then don't bring it or the international community up!

Please don't twist my words to fit your argument. I never said that international law is not applicable because the US has a double standard!! I did say the US has a double standard since it invokes UN resolutions at will when they are useful to back their desired action but ride roughshod over them when they are seen as obstacles against the course of action they wish to pursue. What I'm saying is that if the US expect the cease-fire agreement to be enforced by the UN they must in turn comply with UN basic regulations and procedures. If the US wishes to act unilaterally I don't see the need of kicking up so much fuss to get UN approval since as I said before no-one is forcing the US to remain a UN member.

I'm afraid I don't have much to add to this thread, but I just wanted to say again how impressed I am by the level of thought and research in these posts, as well as the civility and respectfulness that the involved parties are demonstrating. The FYM mods dearly appreciate it. :)

Ok you live in Argentina and this has been your personal experience from you have seen. But, I'd like to see national statistics which would contradict UN DATA which shows Argentina at #34 standard of living in the world. I live in the USA, and of course were the wealthiest country in the world, but there are people in my country who could describe somewhat similar personal experience in regards to their situation from 1970 to 2002. But obviously this persons personal experience is not the situation for most people as shown by national statistics on poverty and wealth in the USA. The point here is while personal experience is informative, it alone cannot be extrapolated to be the condition for the nation as a whole. If the United Nations has made a mistake in its ranking then please list the national statistics that show this. I have the Human Development Report from 1991 as well and I can look to see where Argentina ranked then, but I doubt it was higher than it is today. I'm not saying your wrong on the conditions today vs. 1970, I'd just like to see more "national data" that would contradict the United Nations information.

The USA launched many interventions during the Cold War that had no guarantee of succeeding in its actual goal. The absense of a guarantee should not prevent one from acting.

A question, do you find it revolting that the USA helped the Soviet Union(Stalin was as evil as any Nazi if not worse) during World War II? Do you think the USA should not have helped the Soviet Union during World War II? Do you know what that would of meant for the world if the Soviet Union had been knocked out of the war by the Germans? In my view your comendable idealism needs to be infused with a healthy dose of realism.

I'm certainly not expecting the USA to advertise a supposed policy of using Fundamentalism as a bulwark against the Soviet Union. But I do expect a lot more than the "facts" you gave to support that conclusion. I do not deny the logic, it just that the fact that we supported resistent fighters in Afghanistan does not alone prove your point.

Again if its a well publish fact that we sold weapons other than Tow missiles to get the release of hostages, please show me an article that proves this and just list one or two weapon systems other than the Tow missile that was sold to Iran, and in what quantity. The USA sold lots of weapons to Iran while the SHAH was in power, but not after his fall. Please list any weapons system and in what quantity. You don't have to list everything, I'd just like to see some of this evidence that you say you have.

Again, I don't follow your logic that if the Soviet Union was colapsing that would mean that their client State would colapse as well. Other examples that don't mix with your theory are North Korea and Cuba. The close political/military relationship between the two countries is well documented. No other country on the Planet had as close a relationship to Iraq as the Soviet Union did. More than selling them equipment, the Soviet Union trained the entire Iraqi army and maintained a military presense in Iraq of 2,000 troops up to just before the 1991 Gulf War. If you have any trouble reading anything on the list of Iraqi equipment or have questions about anything there, I'd be happy to explain it for you.

I NEVER SAID Iran did not buy US weapons! They did when the SHAH was in power! I said the USA only gave Iran some outdated Tow missiles in the early 80s for hostages, after the Shah was out of power. I'm sorry you failed to understand me there.

Its true that Palestinian terrorist don't go to hills because they can't size up to the Israely military. Like all terrorist they use the local civilian population as shield to hide behind. If they actually cared about the people they were fighting for, they wouldn't decide to fight in the cities. Many of the liberals and Palestinians claimed the Israelies killed 7,000 people at Jenin, it was later discovered that 48 people were killed and that most of them were terrorist. It was also discovered that the Israelies warned everyone to leave before they launched their attack on the terrorist, at least the IDF seems to care about the Palestinians unlike the terrorist who claim to be fighting for them!

Actually Police whether it be in the USA, UK, Ireland or anywhere else often use deadly force against criminals in urban area's which does put the lives of innocent civilians at risk. I fully condone the Police using these means to bring criminals to justice, because the risk is minimal compared to letting criminals simply get away. How could the allies in World War II or any other country taking legitimate military action against an enemy be able to if the possible risk of civilian casaulties prevented them from acting.

I'm not sure exactly why the Israelies bulldoze the house of a terrorist, probably because they do not want it used as a base for terrorist after they leave the area. I'm not going to say that individuals in the IDF have never murdered Palestinians, but as a policy government or military, its not policy to murder innocent Palestinians. If it was, the IDF could have killed everyone on the West Bank back in the 1960s. Thats one reason I never buy into equating the IDF with the terrorist. If the terrorist could kill all the Jews in Israel they would. The IDF has the capability to kill everyone on the West Bank, but they don't, they try to avoid civilian casualties but accidents happen, just like they do when POLICE go after criminals in New York City or London.

In trying to explain why the terrorist attack civilians instead of military targets, you have failed to explain how that would accomplish their goals of having the IDF leave the West Bank. There is simply no logic in attacking civilians. They have nothing to do with the IDF being on the West Bank. There are far better methods for resisting IDF occupations on the West Bank. If one has the ability to blow up a building with innocent civilians why wouldn't they have the ability to at least attempt to do the same against a military target. Their slaughter of Jewish civilians in Israel cannot be explained by any logic.

The USA is in obeying the UN by enforcing UN resolutions against Iraq. It is other UN members that are in defiance of their own organization by not enforcing the resolutions against Iraq. Since the other countries are not obeying the UN resolutions regarding Iraq by enforcing them, then by your logic they should all leave the UN as well.

Scott Ritter may not be saying that now, but that is irrelavent, because in 1998 when he was resigning from his UN post, he clearly stated Iraq was a threat to the international community and that Iraq could reconstitute its weapons capability with in 6 months. Remember he has not been apart of the UN inspections regime since then, so his only relevant comments on the matter stem from the last time he was in a position to know anything which was back in 1998.

David Kay and Richard Bulter have both come out against what Ritter has said and in fact Richard Butler was in a debate with Ritter on Cnn!

Because the UN cannot be convinced to act on a certain situation does not in fact mean the condition that is claimed does not exist. The UN failed to act in Kosovo! Civilians were being slaughtered by the Serbs by the UN could not act because of the Soviets veto power in the UN. NATO acted and brought peace to the region. The UN is a wonderful attempt to communicate and resolve differences, but it is not a world government. I guess you think all 19 members of NATO should leave the UN since their action in Kosovo was not approved by the UN.

You know your criticism of the USA and the UN could also be leveled against virtually any member of the UN at one time or the other. Again, WE are complying with UN resolutions by enforcing the ceacefire agreement. Countries that refuse to enforce the ceacefire agreement are in defiance of it. You should be suggesting that these other countries leave as well.

QUOTE]Originally posted by STING2
I still don't see why it is "respectless" for me to point out some similarities between the two assholes. Do you deny that Saddam Hussein has killed thousands of his own people merely for their political opposition to his rule? Do you deny that he has funded terrorist acts against Israel?[/QUOTE]

Adolf Hittler was much more than that and comparing him over and over again with different other assholes just to show how bad that other "new Hittler" is (I think i hear about comparisions like that once a month) just reduces his unique cruelty or his sick vision of the "Herrenrasse" to name just a few. Besides that he told the world what he wanted to do in advance ("Mein Kampf").

STING2 said:
In response to Klaus:

Bin Laden's role in the 1979-1989 occupation of Afghanistan by the Soviet Union was primarily that of supplier and financer of Mujahadeen rebels. At this
time, Bin Laden had not been apart of any terrorist attack or any military attack, except for actions against Government Afghan forces and Soviet forces. It is

So you think Terrorism is okay as long as it is against Soviets or other non Americans?

That's a main reason why the US has a negative image in large regions of the world. The doctrin "enemies of our enemies are friends" lead to lots of chaos - not only in the arabic world.

unlikely although possible that some CIA support found its way into the hands of Bin Laden, but even if true is not relavent since Bin Laden at that time was NOT a terrorist. In 1989 the USA pulled out of

This is only true as long as you don't care for non-us victims

A weapon of mass destruction is a weapon that causes damage and loss of life of a magnitude many times greater than average weapons systems or conventional munitions. It is also usually

For me a weapon of mass destruciton is every weapon which kills not only the one you wanted to kill (difference gun - bomb).
In your definition above the first atomic bomb is just a mass destruction as long as other bombs are smaller.

dificult to control its effects when used. It is for that reason usually not a good weapon for military use, but an excellent one for terrorist and their goals.

Not only for terrorists - or would you call the US terrorists just because they have tons of mass destruction weapons?

The USA is not breaking any international laws by invading and changing the regime in Iraq. In fact by doing so, we are complying with UN resolutions by enforcing the ceacefire agreement.

Wrong! It's against international laws to
intefer in inner affairs of foreign countries.
Only the UN is alowed to do that and their resolutions are allways verry specific.
There is no UN resolution that justifies a regime change in Iraq (yet)

The Soviet Union, might and I underline might fit into my criteria for nations that are candidates for regime change, but we did not attack because we did not have the military capability to invade and change the regime in the

And because of that lots of other regimes who are not US allies will try to get ABC Weapons asap. Just to make sure that the US respects them.

Again the USA is obiding by international law by resuming offensive operations against Iraq which is called for in the ceacefire resolutions which Iraq has violated!

I do not agree - and most governments don't agree either (that's one reason why the US government would like to get a new UN res.

Again, the USA seems to be the only country willing to enforce UN resolutions against Iraq which call for military force if Iraq is in violation of the ceacefire agreement and other resolutions. IF the UN is unwilling to

No the focus of the US has changed they don't care anymore for the UN res. they want a regime change to get more power in that important (because of it's oil) area.

German cities like Dresden were bombed because of their importance in the war effort. What is so cruel about a

If you mean "weaken the morale of the people by bombing civilists you might be right.

Daisy cutter weapon rather than another weapon. Its got a larger radious of fragmentation and effects, which makes it an effective weapon when properly used than can help to bring a conflict to a quick resolution and save lives!

daisy cutters and Fuel Air Explosive Bombs (FAE), violate international Laws (Zusatzprotokoll to the "Genfer Abkommen" 12.8.1949 - protection of the victims of international armed conflicts (Protocol I) of 8.6.1977.

A little side note to non-honourable warfare:
It was pretty cynical for me that the US dropped care packages over Afghanistan with the same color than the Cluster Bombs but with an English! instruction manual

I'm sorry but the passage of 11 years does not in anyway change what is called for under the UN ceacefire resolution. How could it? Thats like saying maybe in 11 years shoplifting and murder will all of a sudden become legal! How strange can you get?

Just because Sadam violates international laws dosn't allow the US to do the same - we are living in a world with international laws and the UN is the only organisation who is allowed to interfer in national affairs

The world was attacked by Iraq when it attacked Kuwait because the world has strong international trade ties with Kuwait that effect everyone on the planet economically.

And that's the reason why there was a UN mission to free Kuwait.

AGAIN, LISTEN, The US invasion of Iraq is mandated because they have violated the UN CEACEFIRE AGREEMENT! The US invasion of Iraq

By invading Iraq and changing the regime, the USA is the only UN member that is complying and enforcing the UN resolutions that call for such an invasion of Iraq if they violate the UN ceacefire agreement! Your idea's go against UN

Wrong the UN didn't allow a regime change yet. If you think so please tell me in which resolution.

Imho the Free World is powerful enough to force countries to change without war.
Sometimes war is necessary but we should always spend the same engergy and money on peaceful solutions.

I know that it can hapen that war is the only solution. But not in Iraq.

War without international legitimation from the US could result in much hate.

Klaus

Back
Top Bottom