Zooropa vs Da Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropa vs Da Bombdiggity

• Zooropa

Votes: 114 47.9%
  • How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

Votes: 124 52.1%

• Total voters
U2DMfan said:

The year old album which was heavily, heavily promoted and took over two years to record, had a catchy digestable lead single with a neat tricked up video and has brought hosts of fans to Interference and currently U2 are still touring to support it.....

Is struggling against an album that was supposed to be an EP, lightly promoted, recorded in about 15 weeks, had an obtuse lead single with a even more strange video and many of those 90's fans have migrated elsewhere since U2 become outright pop.

So yeah it is surprising.
:wink:

Honestly, I figured HTDAAB would be winning this with ease.

:blahblah:
it doesn't matter at all what 'zooropa' was SUPPOSED to be, how long either album took to record ('zooropa' is a complete oddity for u2 from this standpoint, incidentally), or what the promotion was. if memory serves me, the zooropa leg was a pretty big show. in terms of promotion, well the music industry is a bit different today than it was 12 years ago. i really don't think bono came to the band and said - 'let's record a bunch of crap and use a bunch of savvy marketing and nifty videos and touring to swindle our fans'. i think they're honestly excited about the new music, anyone who's ever created anything can relate to this, i'm sure .
i also seem to remember that larry was getting tired of the 'experimentalism' of u2 by the time of passengers, wanted to return to a more straight ahead rock thing. i think edge missed his distortion pedal and gibson explorer. what a couple of jerks. (that's sarcasm right there).
i just think it's a really tired argument - to condemn u2 for not being what WE want them to be - those 4 guys are in the band, and this is what THEY wanted the record to sound like. there's no way they can live up to each of our personal aspirations for what u2 should sound like. it's perfectly valid to not like the songs - i've got my picks. but to sit here and say 'they should sound more like this or that' is silly. they should sound like what they sound like, 'cos that's who they are.:huh:

namkcuR said:

I remember you! You're the one who threw your Zooropa disc into the trash can :wink:

:wink: Lol.... Nice memory! Glad to see you can remind me of it without getting SO nasty towards me! lol... Yes, that story of mine sure did cause a MUCH bigger stir than I ever imagined. I'm still shocked at the amount of love that album gets....I will NEVER understand it. But hey, diversity makes the world go 'round!

namkcuR said:

Just out of curiosity, for those of you who say Zooropa should've remained an EP - what songs would you have on that EP?

Not that I think it should have remained an EP, but if I was forced to choose:

Zooropa
Numb
Lemon
Stay
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Dirty Day (played more like it was played live)
The First Time

I really think Babyface and Some Days Are Better Than Others are pure filler. The Wanderer is okay, but I'm not fond of Johnny Cash's voice (or Adam's bass line on the song, for that matter.)

GibsonGirl said:

Zooropa
Numb
Lemon
Stay
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Dirty Day (played more like it was played live)
The First Time

Awesome! :up: That would be my list.. ditto!

But I do like Babyface and The Wanderer.. although for the latter, I really have to be in the right mood to hear Cash's vocals!

how can anyone EVER vote for what was previously described aptly as "middle of the road soccer mom music" compared to what is perhaps u2's finest album?

compare the lyrics from stay to anything on the bomb.

compare the lyrics from dirty day to anything on the bomb.

compare the lyrics from the first time to anything on the bomb.

compare the lyrics from the wanderer to anything on the bomb.

compare the lyrics of zooropa to anything on the bomb.

compare the lyrics of numb to anything on the bomb.

compare the lyrics of lemon to anything on the bomb.

compare anything off of zooropa and it's better than the bomb.

and by the way, the wanderer is absolutely criminally underrated.

it's perhaps bono's penmanship at his absolute finest.

Zooropa all the way, every day, that's what I say!

Songs like Zooropa, Numb, the Wanderer, Lemon and Daddy are in a class of their own, in terms of orginality and lyrics. Nothing on HTDAAB even comes close, except for maybe LAPOE.

I recently came to realize that perhaps even POP is a better album than HDTAAB. Oops!

Regards,
Elmer

How To Dis-mantle An Atomic Bomb gets my vote. Though the production is less than perfect and the lyrics are weak, it is a more consistent album and one cannot dispute the power of songs like City Of Blinding Lights or Vertigo. Zooropa is much less safe but some of it is mis-guided, in particular Some Days and the Wanderer. I sincerely hope that U2's next album is a bit more inventive though.

david said:
Results on Google :

zooropa
376,000 results

how to dismantle an atomic bomb
1,140,000 results

wow, you sure showed us. why don't we just close the thread?

Bono on ZOOROPA:
Wonderful, wild fling of an album. Grand madness. It's really a concept album. A very experimental piece of work.
Bono on HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB:
It's the best collection of songs we've put together - there's no weak songs. But as an album, the whole isn't greater than the sum of its parts, and it f'ing annoys me.
(from the Rolling Stone interview Nov 3/05)

He also said Stay (Faraway, So Close!) is "perhaps the greatest U2 song". So why don't they play it live anymore? :wink:

honestly, when are people going to learn never to take Bono quotes seriously...

now vote for Zooropa you prats.

Zoomerang96 said:
and by the way, the wanderer is absolutely criminally underrated.

it's perhaps bono's penmanship at his absolute finest.

I couldn't agree more, and I would love love love to see them play this song live based on the version they did for the Johnny Cash special.

WAH-WAH-WAH-WAAAANDERIN...

:drool:

Also, I think Bono's strongest lyrics are on Zooropa, followed closesly by Achtung Baby, then Pop (that one might get me shot... but excluding the Boom Chas, overall it is pretty strong, and stronger than Bomb for me).

Great to see HTDAAB is still ahead (has it ever been behind?). :up:

Also good to see the vocal minority out in force as usual.. When are people supposed to get bored with the 'new' album again?

unoscatorce said:
He also said Stay (Faraway, So Close!) is "perhaps the greatest U2 song". So why don't they play it live anymore? :wink:

chya really

Bono also said one of his faves was Your Blue Room, and that hasn't been played yet

I find the Elevation versions of Stay boring, and I love the full-band ZooTV version (esp. 8/28 Dublin)

the drums and bass are what move the song, you take em away and it's just Snooze

alright you dogs. for each extra vote the so-called "Bomb" gets from now on I will post a goatse related image in the thread. :up:

..up to you.

MrBrau1 said:
Bono also said "Crumbs" might be the most important song they've ever written.

again, people would be best to ignore bono.

kind of like zoomerang96 at interference, whenever he posts.

I'm really surprised that Zooropa isn't winning by a fairly large number-I prefer HTDTAB myself and think it's one of their top 3 ever but this a very 90s loving board

Back
Top Bottom