Will Original of the Species make it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevink

The Fly
Here's what we have confirmed so far:

1 - Vertigo
2 - Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
3 - City Of Blinding Lights
4 - Man And A Woman
5 - Crumbs From Your Table
6 - Yahweh
7 - All Because Of You
8 - Love and Peace Or Else
9 - Miracle Drug

That's 9 out of 11.

Read this article from 2002:

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=2586

In this article, they mention SYCMIOYO, Original of the Species, and All Because of You. Two of these three tracks mentioned two years ago have made it.

I sure hope Original of the Species makes it too.

Last edited:
kevink said:
Here's what we have confirmed so far:

7 - All Because Of You
8 - Love and Peace Or Else
9 - Miracle Drug

Well, we actually have no actual confirmation that these are on the album. We just received leaks, but we can pretty mcuh gaurantee that they are on the album. Bono told someone L&P was on the record, and MD and ABOY are too good not be on it. I dont know about "Original of the Species," it hasnt been mentioned anywhere in the like the last couple years. Hope to see it sometime and even on the new album, but am more looking forward to "Tough" and "Native Son/FMJ".

Maybe if they don't make the album at least they'll be b-sides.

If they don't make the album they will probably keep them for the next one hoping that by then they will have improved them. That's what they usually do, they don't waste potential album track as b-sides anymore. That's why we haven't had the best b-sides lately. (The best one, Always, was Beautiful Day practically).

I know this has been said many times, but the titles we have heard in the last few years/months were WORKING TITLES. So if we see the final track listing and Original of the Species is not there, it does not necessarily mean that the song was scrapped, but it could have changed name as lyrics evolved. Some people mentionned how it could have turn into A Man and A Woman.

Same thing with FMJ/Native Son. I'm pretty sure that if it's not on the final tracklisting, it's because it has turned into Vertigo. As for Miracle Drug, from what I recall there has never been any official statement, or even any mention from band members about a song called like that. I think that this title comes from the guy who had heard it outside the studio and then went into Bono's car. He called the song "Miracle Drug" because that's what he heard from the song. This is clearly the same song as the beach clip we heard, but that does not mean 100% this is the name of the song. Btw, when the Spanish dudes posted that clip, they called it 'Yahweh'. We are the ones who decided to call it 'Miracle Drug'

I'm not making any conclusions here, just suggesting not to judge songs only on their alleged or working titles.

StlElevation said:
I think it turned into "A Man and a Woman"

I agree. I thought (think) this might be an Adam and Eve song from the first time I saw it there as an official title. Maybe it will be called both or "Original of the Species" will be a lyric.

It couldn't have turned into "A Man and a Woman" if that song was already named in the ATYCLB sessions. It already existed and they improved it. "Original" was a totally different song.

FullonEdge2 said:
It couldn't have turned into "A Man and a Woman" if that song was already named in the ATYCLB sessions. It already existed and they improved it. "Original" was a totally different song.

this is true there is a cool list on another thread.

Re: Re: Will Original of the Species make it?

RademR said:

Well, we actually have no actual confirmation that these are on the album. We just received leaks, but we can pretty mcuh gaurantee that they are on the album. Bono told someone L&P was on the record, and MD and ABOY are too good not be on it. I dont know about "Original of the Species," it hasnt been mentioned anywhere in the like the last couple years. Hope to see it sometime and even on the new album, but am more looking forward to "Tough" and "Native Son/FMJ".

Maybe "confirmed" was the wrong word for me to use. Although it is pretty much guaranteed that ABOY, MD, and LAPOE will be on the album. Also, it's my opinion Tough=SYCMIOYO and FMJ is to Vertigo what Always was to Beautiful Day and what Lady With the Spinning Head was to The Fly. Maybe we'll get FMJ as a b-side.

This is from the article I posted a link to:

Edge buries his navy blue skull-capped head into a bulging slip-case of CD-Rs and locates his favourite mix of "Original of the Species," a slinky pop song built around a primitive riff, with shades of Bowie's "Aladdin Sane." Bono is on his feet in an instant and monkey-stepping to the loping groove, singing away and proudly declaring, "This one's about Edge's daughter."

They seemed to be pretty proud of this one. Again, I hope it makes it.

they could also just as easily combined original of the species and a man and a woman and thought the better title was the latter, thus keeping my theory in tact.

Back
Top Bottom