Which new song made you smile more? Electrical Storm or The Hand That Built America? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Which of the new songs made you smile more?
Electrical Storm 23 41.82%
The Hands That Built America 23 41.82%
It's all the same to me 9 16.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2002, 01:13 AM   #21
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
what do you think of 'One'?
I like One. I really dont know how to describe why I like it compared to Hands, just something about the flow of it, the music, the strength in Bono's voice.... its different.

Old 10-21-2002, 01:39 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer
Now I've drifted a bit off topic, or have I?
Now you're beginning to sound like me! But seriously, that was very well put (okay, so you aren't sounding like me then). Anyway, what really impresses me about this song (lyrically as well as musically) is that it doesn't sound trite. You are right: no other band (or very few) could have ever pulled off a song such as this. Could you imagine the catastrophe if, say, Celine Dionne was given the opportunity? The fact that the title no longer sounds as cheesy as it should speaks volumes about this song. The fact that the chorus - despite sounding so cheesy out of context - sounds so dead on within context, speaks volumes for this song. It's really a master work, and I can't really explain why.

I think you are right, also, that Bono has been waiting to write this song for a very, very long time. This song, I think, will really canonize U2 in America (I'm not saying that's a good thing or bad thing - it's just a statement I'm making). The lyrics, as well as the delivery are so precise, the words chosen so carefully, so delicately. The subject matter demands it, and Bono really came through. I don't think U2 would have released a song like this any other way, because, ya' know, it's a big song, concerning such an integral part of Irish American history. It needs to be sensitive to that, and oh - is it sensitive: "...from diggin' in our pockets...for a reason, to say goodbye..." Yeah, the effort has been made to dig deep, really feel the dirt, the texture of the subject. It's not superficial. It's not generic.

I'm still blown away, actually. (Can you tell? )

As for the lyrics of Zooropa and Pop, I completely agree with you. You can literally feel the universe exploding in a thousand directions when listening to those albums. I could never understand how even people who don't like Pop, musically, could not hear the incredible vision inside of the lyrics. Like Bono once said, Pop is really a dialogue of many converstations - some his, but mostly overheard conversations. I think that sheds such a light on the album, and I wish people could see it in that light.

Zooropa has such a sense of optimism, and hope within the words, within the music. One of my favourite moments - "It's cold outside, but brightly lit / skip the subway, let's go overground" Such a liberating view, and one that always gave me such empowerment. U2 never really changed in that respect, and I wonder how many people understand that.

By the way, say hi to the person I so very much respect. I think I know who you are talking about. I should send an e-mail that direction soon...

Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-21-2002, 01:44 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy

I like One. I really dont know how to describe why I like it compared to Hands, just something about the flow of it, the music, the strength in Bono's voice.... its different.
Ah, so you do like some slow songs then. Can I deduce, then, that the reason you don't like 'Hands' that much isn't necessarily because it is slow?
Old 10-21-2002, 01:50 AM   #24
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Ah, so you do like some slow songs then. Can I deduce, then, that the reason you don't like 'Hands' that much isn't necessarily because it is slow?
Well I never said I didnt like slow songs, I said I preferred harder songs. This one is just toooo slow.. I dont know it doesnt grab me. Maybe it will after more listens.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:57 AM   #25
Kid A

Local Time: 10:45 AM

you like it harder???

you want something to grab you???

Old 10-21-2002, 01:59 AM   #26
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

wink

I was going to say "Grab this " but I changed my mind.

____
pervert
Old 10-21-2002, 02:04 AM   #27
Kid A

Local Time: 10:45 AM
wink

grab what?

how's your dancers' limbs?

alright, seeeee yaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2002, 02:05 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy

Well I never said I didnt like slow songs, I said I preferred harder songs. This one is just toooo slow.. I dont know it doesnt grab me. Maybe it will after more listens.
It's okay if it doesn't! I'm just being really, really absurd tonight. Okay, time to go (sleepy time).

By the way, Sicy, there are ways that you can speed up the song. Have you ever heard Alvin and the Chipmunks? Their version of 'Hands' is quite good, actually (in a chipmunk sort of way - meaning a little whiny, but it's good times nonetheless).
Old 10-21-2002, 02:21 AM   #29
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

I'll have to try that

Old 10-21-2002, 07:24 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Hands! Something with so lame a title just doesn't have a right to be so gorgeous, :)
Old 10-21-2002, 10:43 AM   #31
War Child

Local Time: 01:45 AM
Quote:

I don't know why, but your "I mean, I like the great man, but..." comment just leaves me in fits of laughter! The "great man". haha! You're too much, Ishkash, too much! (I still don't know why I find it so amusing, but I do!)
Old 10-22-2002, 08:43 AM   #32
The Fly

Local Time: 05:45 PM
So far it look like it's a pretty close one. Right now 21 people prefer the hands while 20 people prefer the storm. Hmmmm...