U2 albums on DVD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphelmet

Refugee
Are there any plans to remaster any of U2 albums on DVD in 5.1 surround? I have seen a few albums at different stores available in this format and from what i have heard i would have to buy all u2's albums again if they were to release them on DVD. I guess for right now ill just have to settle for R&H and In God's Country on the end of Three Kings.

------------------
jp
what shall i render unto the Lord for all his benefits toward me? i will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord.

All the albums before Boy, and the ones between Achtung Baby and Zooropa might be...

------------------
If I had a head like yours I'd bleedin' bury it.

This is.. uh... we don't play this tune... gonna be f*cked up!

Forgive me for my ignorance, but can one play DVD's as music or only as audio in CD players? I won't be getting a DVD players until my Christmas bonus check comes in.

------------------
Your love was like a light bulb..hanging over my bed.

No, you can't play them in regular CD players... but the audio is outstanding, and you can play CDs on DVD players, I know some people who have gotten rid of their CD players in favor of the DVD sound etc.

The only album I've seen on DVD is Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours"

------------------
The King has spoken!

If they are going to re-release albums on DVD, then they should put a little extra work into it. For example, each DVD album should contain all the videos that were originally recorded for that album on it. This could include multiple versions of a video as well as some rare videos. Then, they could do a little "Making Of" documentary as well. It doesn't have to be as detailed as it was for the "Making of the Joshua Tree" but a little something might be nice (if anything, perhaps toss in an interview from that era). Perhaps some live footage from the appropriate era as well. This way, a person who buys the DVD can play the songs just as he/she would on their CD, but if he/she could also watch videos, learn something about the album, see some live footage from that era, perhaps an interview from that era, etc. Just buying the album because it now has DVD sound isn't worth it.

Actually, for some people, the upgraded sound quality is enough, and the extra bells and whistles are unnecessary. Having Pop or Zooropa remixed to 5.1 dolby digital sound (Or DTS) would be enveloping and impressive. All the DVD Audio CDs I've seen also have improved sonic versions of the original stereo mixes. Unfortunately, I don't have a 5.1 set up, so whether or not it is worth it is questionable. For someone with a 5.1 set up, then being able to sit in a sofa and listen to music in ways that you've never heard music before at home would be extraordinary. :->

Bjorks new CD comes out on DVD soon. and Paul Simon's new disc just came out. And there's a Brian Wilson disc out and yeah, fleetwood mac's rumors. :-> As DVD players and surround sound systems are catching on, so are DVD versions of albums. Yay!

Back
Top Bottom