Two Thoughts on ATYCLB - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2004, 03:15 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:45 PM
Two Thoughts on ATYCLB

1. SIAM has grown on me tremendously since HTDAAB came out. I never liked it before - at all - but now I really like it.

2. In a Little While should have been a single. It is easily one of the coolest songs U2 have ever written.

Old 12-15-2004, 04:09 PM   #2
Refugee

I love in a little while and always have. It's so catchy and makes me want to move my hips!!

Old 12-15-2004, 04:26 PM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 12:45 PM
In A Little While didn't click with me at first, but now I think it just may be the best song on the whole disc.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:29 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:45 AM
I think this new album has given me a newer, deeper appreciation for the last album. I've always enjoyed it, but I think the new songs are a bit stronger and harder. However the Pop sensibility on ATYCLB is refreshing to listen to after a listen to HTDAAB.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:00 PM   #5
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Reggie Thee Dog
I think this new album has given me a newer, deeper appreciation for the last album. I've always enjoyed it, but I think the new songs are a bit stronger and harder. However the Pop sensibility on ATYCLB is refreshing to listen to after a listen to HTDAAB.
Yeah, I've come around to it recently. I don't think it's on par with The Joshua Tree or Achtung, Baby like everyone seems to, but it's pleasant and worthwhile. "Beautiful Day" and "Walk On" are future classics.

I hated "Stuck In A Moment" at first, but even it's grown on me enough (mostly due to live performances, I figure) that I don't skip it anymore. Edge's guitar part is sugary sweet and complements the main melody well. Edge had a lot of strong hooks in general around this time. Must've been saving them up.

"In A Little While" was always my favorite. Just a slick little vibe-based song. I'm told it got decent airplay on adult contemporary radio stations near the end of ATYCLB's vitality. "Wild Honey" is also underrated as a carefree and fun interlude to the doom and gloom of the rest of the album.

I always loved the airport imagery too.

I like "Grace" but think it makes a disappointing closer. It's a shame they couldn't come up with something more affecting there; I always feel a little incomplete after listening to the album.

I also think they should've squeezed "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" and "Falling At Your Feet" on there somehow (I understand that they were both considered for the album at various stages in its development), but whatever.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:22 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon

Yeah, I've come around to it recently. I don't think it's on par with The Joshua Tree or Achtung, Baby like everyone seems to, but it's pleasant and worthwhile. "Beautiful Day" and "Walk On" are future classics.

I hated "Stuck In A Moment" at first, but even it's grown on me enough (mostly due to live performances, I figure) that I don't skip it anymore. Edge's guitar part is sugary sweet and complements the main melody well. Edge had a lot of strong hooks in general around this time. Must've been saving them up.

"In A Little While" was always my favorite. Just a slick little vibe-based song. I'm told it got decent airplay on adult contemporary radio stations near the end of ATYCLB's vitality. "Wild Honey" is also underrated as a carefree and fun interlude to the doom and gloom of the rest of the album.

I always loved the airport imagery too.

I like "Grace" but think it makes a disappointing closer. It's a shame they couldn't come up with something more affecting there; I always feel a little incomplete after listening to the album.

I also think they should've squeezed "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" and "Falling At Your Feet" on there somehow (I understand that they were both considered for the album at various stages in its development), but whatever.
Falling At Your Feet?
I've not heard of this song...
Old 12-15-2004, 05:39 PM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 02:45 PM
Falling

Falling at your feet is from the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack. It features vocals by Bono with some backup from Daniel Lanois.

I don't know if U2 wrote this song or not, but it is one of my all-time favorite songs. I burned it onto my personal "ATYCLB", and as was previously said, it would have been a perfect song on the album.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:59 PM   #8
War Child

Also Falling At Your Feet features Larry too. I think it is complementary to Grace. Both addressed to God but at the same time both could be interpreted as "relaxed" love songs. I have always advocated that if one is disatisfied with Grace as the album closer then try Falling.

P.S. Have you heard the MDH outtake Jumpstart My Heart? I think it may go well with In A Little While.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:03 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Ok, in which case I have heard Falling At Your Feet... I have the MDH soundtrack.

U2Soar, I haven't heard the Jumpstart My Heart outtake - would you be willing to send it to me if you have it?
bohemian_dreams@hotmail.com
Old 12-15-2004, 06:06 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Falling at Your Feet reminds me of Yahweh, in both the vocal harmonies and the final message of the song, which is to surrender oneself to God's will. The last words in Falling are, "Teach me to surrender. Not my will, thy will." It was written by Bono and Lanois, and was also featured on Lanois' last album, with Bono joining Lanois on vocals.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:12 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Two Thoughts on ATYCLB

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton

In a Little While should have been a single. It is easily one of the coolest songs U2 have ever written.

I've always said it's a great song; I also think When I look at The World should've had more exposure imo it's the most underrated song on the whole album!
Old 12-15-2004, 06:32 PM   #12
Refugee

In a little while & New York are the best songs on ATYCLB. And they are A+++++!
Old 12-15-2004, 07:00 PM   #13
Refugee

I think IALW is alright, but New York is a real mess..
Old 12-15-2004, 07:24 PM   #14
War Child

Local Time: 02:45 PM
In a Little While is a great song.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:57 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2_Guy
In a little while & New York are the best songs on ATYCLB. And they are A+++++!

I can't agree with that, as far as I am concerned Beautiful Day is the best song (Song Writting Ability) U2 have ever written.

To me ATYCLB just sounds so mature. So relaxed. Almost resigned. When listened to in the context of their whole catalgue I find it somewhat haunting.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:11 PM   #16
Acrobat

I love ATYCLB, I think it is one of their most complete works. I think it is misunderstood, and people like to bash it because it is not as raw as their 80's material and comes off to be slightly poppy. But I think in reality is it quite a dark album. Even Beautiful Day is slightly introspective, Elevation may be the only "feel good" on the album.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:06 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Re: Two Thoughts on ATYCLB

I don't mind ATYCLB, either. If some people out there don't care for it, that's their business...but there's a lot of good songs on there, in my humble opinion. Heck, it was some of those songs that actually made me pay more attention to U2.

Quote:
1. SIAM has grown on me tremendously since HTDAAB came out. I never liked it before - at all - but now I really like it.
I've personally always liked that song...it's cool that it's grown on you .

Quote:
2. In a Little While should have been a single. It is easily one of the coolest songs U2 have ever written.
times infinity. One of my all-time favorite U2 songs. I hear it on occasion on this one radio station in a nearby town, and it's always a treat when it gets played .

Angela
Old 12-16-2004, 12:42 AM   #18
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:45 AM
Quote:
I can't agree with that, as far as I am concerned Beautiful Day is the best song (Song Writting Ability) U2 have ever written.
"It's a beautiful day, don't let it get away" is better than One Tree Hill's poetic beauty?

In A Little While is only saved by the "a man takes a rocketship" verse, otherwise it would be bland, aimless crap. I still think it's on the level of other poor songs like Wild Honey, Ultra Violet, and Red Light (and yes, I do like aspects of all those songs).

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-16-2004, 03:18 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:45 PM
1. Yes, I always loved Stuck in a moment.

2. YES, along with Kite, instead of Elevation/Walk on combo. Sometimes they make weird singles choices...

ATYCLB is heavily overbashed here. The first 6 songs are one of U2's strongest first half of album ever. While the second half is weaker, Wild honey and New York don't get enough credit IMO.

It has the big themes, yet it keeps an optimistic feel, more than any other U2 album. WILATW, POE and New York are darker but that's it.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:20 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:45 PM
ATYCLB is, along with Rattle and Hum, U2's disappointing album. Terribly produced, lifeless and boring. The Ground Beneath Her Feet is by far the best song from 2000 and they haven't even put it on the album(except on some versions). Peace on Earth and Grace are disaster. Wild Honey and Elevation are embarassments. A live masterpiece like Kite is destroyed in its studio format.
HTDAAB is to me everything that ATYCLB should have been and failed to do. A return to the 80's, with some remarkable guitars. Now I am full of hope for U2's future.