Stylus Magazine Plays God with The Joshua Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, I would say that it's interesting. Although I disagree with Deep In The Heart, as that is B-side material at best. But I'll give it a listen (with RTSS replacing said DITH).
:)

I quite like this revised order, I always felt JT started with a crash and then petered out.

Not sure about putting sweetest thing in to replace WOWY though

Wow, that may just be the worst custom JT I've ever seen.

And geez, for all the b-sides they brought in, you'd think they would've found room for Spanish Eyes.

U2girl said:
Just change Trip through your wires for Heartland.

I always felt it was more in place with Rattle and Hum anyways

The Joshua Tree - downer
Rattle and Hum - jovial

To my ears, that tracklisting is painfully commercial-sounding.
The rearrangement of the tracks from the album seems quite good - I like the idea of having I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For nearer the end.
I completely agree with the comments on 'One Tree Hill' :up:

Wow, that's awful. I bet that's exactly how modern U2 would've made it.

Maybe TJT could have been made slightly better but getting rid of RTSS is NOT the way to get it done. I like "In God's Country" in the #2 slot. Maybe then it would get the attention it deserves as a perfect pop gem.

The author does have a few good ideas, but a lot of awful ones.

In God's Country after Streets makes sense.

His assessment of Luminous Times is downright poetic, even though I can't imagine JT without Mothers of the Disappeared at the end.

However, leaving out Running to Stand Still and WOWY is moronic. And although the original version of The Sweetest Thing is 1,000 times better than the 1980-1990 Best Of version, it would stick out on JT like a sore thumb. It just doesn't fit the mood of the album. It's SUPPOSED to be a dark album, for heaven's sake!

I can see where this guy was going with some of the choices, but I agree, the omissions are bad ideas. If he thinks WOWY was pointing too much towards the future, than put it on the second side. I think it would have been a really dark track near the end.

And it's not hard to see how a title called "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" would be very appropriate on an epic album like this. I don't know about it being the penultimate track (I still think Exit is the appropriate showstopper), but it would have been cool on side two.

In God's Country at #2 is a really interesting choice, and I agree with the reasoning. But wouldn't Trip Through Your Wires be a better energetic rave up? In God's Country has too much weight to be so early, I think.

Wow way to fuck with one of the greatest albums in the history of rock music.

"The band front-loads the radio hits, founders towards the middle, and ends on a downer. Points for exploring dark, thorny subject matter, but demerits for running out of gas along the way. The Joshua Tree, like all of U2’s first few records, is like a time-lapse film—as it goes on, the hooks dissolve before your very ears. Larry Mullen may say it’s a musical journey, but The Joshua Tree ultimately goes nowhere. "

There is a crucial error in this assessment: it's completely incorrect. Maybe this person hasn't paid attention very well to U2's albums, but the pacing of The Joshua Tree is about the same as every other U2 album - starts out joyous (and the first half of the album tends to be where most of the singles are), ends on a darker note. The most notable exception is the latest, HTDAAB, but I think they could have done better with that tracklisting anyway. To say it "goes nowhere" simply because it gets less catchy is retarded. Exit is one of the strongest songs on the album and I'm sure many would also say that One Tree Hill and Mothers are as well.

Also, wow, way to take out two of the album's best tracks.

Pretentious indie snobs.

Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With Or Without You
Heartland
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Red Hill Mining Town
In God's Country
Spanish Eyes
One Tree Hill
Exit
Mothers Of The Disappeared

Anyone who's read my posts over the years knows I'm not a big fan of JT - in fact, I rate it pretty low amongst U2 albums (still the best album released in '87 and one of the better albums of all time, but not nearly as good as other U2 albums). However, the list that was created in this article is odd for so many reasons.

First, I really like the '98 version of "Sweetest Thing". Yes, it does take getting used to - after all, a fan of the original lived with it for 11 years before the new version came along. But the new version sounds more polished yet fun, with smoother vocals and less straining. Bono's voice was way off on the original (even Edge has stated this) and the '98 version gave the song the life it deserved.

Nonetheless, I do feel "Sweetest Thing" could have been an album track - but it's because it's more uplifting and fun that it actually doesn't fit with the rest of the songs. Hence, it is best suited as a b-side.

Also, this author keeps many songs that I would jettison from JT. For example, as powerful as "Bullet" is, I never really liked the album version. If there's one thing I agree with, it's that "Bullet" should have been moved in placement on the album. Having it as track 4 really destroys the mood created by the first 3 songs. Destroying that mood would be fine if the album continued in theme of "Bullet", but instead it returns right back to the mood of the first three songs.

And, I've always hated "Trip" - that song should be eliminated from memory.

So while I agree that JT could use some tweaking, it's not at all what this author suggests.

Axver said:
Wow, that may just be the worst custom JT I've ever seen.

And geez, for all the b-sides they brought in, you'd think they would've found room for Spanish Eyes.

Yeah, when i saw the thread, i thought they were just going to replace trip through your wires with spanish eyes, but to leave it out completely?:tsk:

Luminous Times (hold on to Love) :drool:... best b-side EVER...

the no WOWY is weird.... maybe I'll give it a try :hmm:

maybe we all should... then complain :evil:

Back
Top Bottom