song of the day 10/27:Lemon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
Lemon
See through in the sunlight
She wore lemon
But never in the daylight
She's gonna make you cry
She's gonna make you whisper and moan
And when you're dry
She draws her water from the stone

And I feel
Like I'm slowly, slowly,
Slowly slipping under
And I feel
Like I'm holding onto nothing

She wore lemon
To colour in the cold grey night
She had heaven
And she held on so tight

A man makes a picture
A moving picture
Through the light projected
He can see himself up close
A man captures colour
A man likes to stare
He turns his money into light
To look for her

And I feel
Like I'm drifting, drifting,
Drifting from the shore
And I feel
Like I'm swimming out to her

Midnight is where the day begins

Lemon
See through in the sunlight

A man builds a city
With banks and cathedrals
A man melts the sand so he can

See the world outside
A man makes a car
And builds a road to run them on
A man dreams of leaving

You're gonna meet her there
She's your destination
You gotta get to her
She's imagination

But he always stays behind

And these are the days
When our work has come asunder
And these are the days
When we look for something other

A man makes a picture
A moving picture

A man captures colour
A man likes to stare
He turns his money into light
To look for her
She is the dreamer
She's imagination

You're gonna meet her there
She's your destination
There's no sleeping there
She's imagination
Lemon

She had heaven

She wore lemon

How many Bono's mom songs are there?

I Will Follow
Tomorrow
Lemon
MoFo

Dad songs?
Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own
One Step Closer

Any others?

I think it would make a pretty intense mix cd

Also, you know what? I think this song would work in an acoustic arrangement. They'd have to rewrite the melody and drop the falsetto, but it's lyrics aren't just suited to the original electronic version

I used to love singing this song, but I can't hit high notes very well anymore. My wife makes fun of me. :sad:

An epic master-piece. One of my favorite songs ever. And one of U2's most original ones. This is the definitive Bono performance.

i cried the first time i heard it because i hated it so much. guess i needed a little time with it to appreciate the genius of it. not only is it fun to sing along with, it has some heavy lyrics.

midnight is where the day begins...

Party Boy said:
Potentially the pinnicle point of U2's experimental music. Amazing

:up:

But I have a hard time choosing between Zooropa and Lemon as the "experimental pinnicle"... ah what the heck.... Lemon is the song of the day... so Lemon it is!

My favorite U2 song!! :heart: I remember hearing this for the first time and thinking: Bono is singing this?! Anyone whoever had doubts about Bono's singing ability should hear this. I was hooked when I first heard it. The only thing that angers me is that Bono never sings it anymore.... :tsk:

What an gem off the experimentation of ZOOROPA, u2 classic!!! Great bassline by Adam, album version dragged a little long but it didnt matter, still one of their best, which is why I HATED the Best of 1990-2000 Mix, to leave off this and "the fly" is just stupid IMO.

The song truly is great and to put things into perspective, it came out in 93 as did the entire album and man, this was like so out there and ahead of its time because 93 really was overpopulated by grunge and gangsta rap.

It's the 2nd best track off Zooropa for me, just behind the title track

I love this song. The piano is so amazing, combine it with Bono's falsetto and boy it sounds good.

Midnight is where the day begins.... i love that line, so obvious!

One of them songs u2 could only write, and those songs are always the best.

It goes for almost 7 minutes. Quite Remarkable. Can anyone confirm that it is U2's longest song?

Unfortunately, Bono's falsetto is no longer as flexible and poised as it used to be in the Zoo TV era. Chances of Lemon being performed live again are virtually nil.

Cheers,

J

Siren said:
My favorite U2 song!! :heart: I remember hearing this for the first time and thinking: Bono is singing this?! Anyone whoever had doubts about Bono's singing ability should hear this. I was hooked when I first heard it. The only thing that angers me is that Bono never sings it anymore.... :tsk:

No one ever doubted Bono as a singer...not even his staunchest detractors. At least not 10 years ago when this song was released. Hitting the notes today may be tough for him, but back then, we're talking walk in the park-type stuff.

jick said:
Unfortunately, Bono's falsetto is no longer as flexible and poised as it used to be in the Zoo TV era. Chances of Lemon being performed live again are virtually nil.

Cheers,

J

They could always do a new arrangment

jick said:

Cheers,

J

When was the last time U2 performed Lemon live? Dont think they peformed it during Elevation tour, though maybe wrong. Popmart I'd imagine? The song doesn't really lend itself to heavy rotation on live circuit. Trying to hit those high notes night after night would be impossible

Actually, they haven't played it since the Zoomerang (last leg) of the Zoo TV tour.

No popmart, just the perfecto mix during the encore break.

Mac Phisto said:

No one ever doubted Bono as a singer...

You're talking as a U2 fan. Many non-U2 fans I know used to say Bono had a average voice. They changed their opinions when they heard Lemon! I even have family members who adore Lemon and they hate rock music.

Last edited:
UnforgettableLemon said:
How many Bono's mom songs are there?

I Will Follow
Tomorrow
Lemon
MoFo

Dad songs?
Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own
One Step Closer

Any others?

I think it would make a pretty intense mix cd