Soe 26 - ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't I bat an eyelid at jack but zach and Ned grate on me abit??

I'm the same and it's likely because you hear "Jack" used all the time as a generic name due to how common it is but "Ned" and "Zach"? Not so much.

Those names are not generic like "jack" and feel used just to completed the rhyme.

I'm the same and it's likely because you hear "Jack" used all the time as a generic name due to how common it is but "Ned" and "Zach"? Not so much.

Those names are not generic like "jack" and feel used just to completed the rhyme.

Think your right mate

OMG guys, I think you are reading too much into the use of the names in the song. They sound good to me. You are making me go a little :coocoo:

Last edited:

The names are apparently an homage to a Paul Simons song from 1970-something -- "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover."

According to one interpretaion, while Simons's song is about avoiding any entanglments in your love lofe, The Blackout is about holding on to your relationship even in tough times.

The problem, of course, is that the reference is so obscure that nobody gets it and the names just sound silly ...

Other than that, it's a great song.

The names are apparently an homage to a Paul Simons song from 1970-something -- "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover."

According to one interpretaion, while Simons's song is about avoiding any entanglments in your love lofe, The Blackout is about holding on to your relationship even in tough times.

The problem, of course, is that the reference is so obscure that nobody gets it and the names just sound silly ...

Other than that, it's a great song.
... except the only one of those names that appears in 50 Ways To Lose Your Lover is Jack.

I think he just needed something to fit the cadence and it worked (sorta).

Why don't I bat an eyelid at jack but zach and Ned grate on me abit??

Yes!!! I agree 100%. The jack, perfectly ok. Zack alright. Fred... eh. Ned - one step too far!

I keep hoping that possibly the video is a combination of recorded and live vocal takes, and the names were part of bonos live riffing. :/

8.6 million views for the Blackout.
Still getting around 50 to 60 thousand views per hour. Pretty impressive.

Can't wait for Wednesday. Really looking forward to the proper, final, final... yeah gotta be final this time... mix of TBT.
I liked the song when mixed by Kygo, and yesterday's clip I liked the sound of even more. So should be fun to hear.

Speaking of TBT, Alan Cross mentioned the possibility of format specific releases. Kind of a cool idea. A more rock mix for alt and rock radio, a middle of the road mix for AC, and a more Kygo type mix for top 40. Probably won't happen, cause the song seems to straddle these genres ok as it is. But interesting approach if they do.

Last edited:
8.6 million views for the Blackout.
Still getting around 50 to 60 thousand views per hour. Pretty impressive.

The thing is that most devices are set to "auto-play" Facebook videos... In addition to that, U2 is paying to promote the video, so it pops more frequently than usual on your timeline.

On the video graph you can see that most of the viewers leave the video on the beginning...

Attachments

• IMG_A10F81EC8D1F-1.jpg
    IMG_A10F81EC8D1F-1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 106
The thing is that most devices are set to "auto-play" Facebook videos... In addition to that, U2 is paying to promote the video, so it pops more frequently than usual on your timeline.

On the video graph you can see that most of the viewers leave the video on the beginning...

This is true. But the rule applies to everyone equally. It seems to be doing well comparatively to other artists I see. Smaller artist like Tegan and Sarah I see with views around 20k, bigger bands like The National have about a million.
I think the goal is awareness, I definitely don't go and listen to the whole thing when I look at U2's page. But I have viewed their page a lot more in the last week then I ever have. I think that's the goal. Drive interest and engagement I the bigger album rollout plan

Furthermore - there are more than 17 million people that "like" or "follow" U2 facebook page. At least half of them didn't see the video yet
I don't think that this is a bad number, but would like to see the comparison with FB videos of some top40 or AC/AR acts or hits

Given the way Facebook decides for you what you see from the pages you like, and that even if you bother to go to the chronological feed it still has some intervention on what you see. I wouldn't be shocked if many of those 17 million followers haven't seen it. I only saw it because, well, I'm a regular here and I knew to go look for it.

OMG guys, I think you are reading too much into the use of the names in the song. They sound good to me. You are making me go a little :coocoo:

I'm probably one of the biggest "millennial U2" fans in this place but the one aspect of this era that I have trouble defending is some of Bono's lyrical choices.

Wether it be air as heavy as a truck, wearing bossy boots or helping a little old lady across the street....some of his choices are bizarre to say the least. I personally find his lyrics became suspect during POP as I find that album to be riddled with cringeworthy lyrics and have stated that many times around here but I digress.

With that said, when listening to new U2 songs, I focus on the lyrics because I know how Bono gets. That's one reason I loved SOI so much, the lyrics were straight forward and told a nice story. The music wasn't that great though, so it made most songs good but not great.

Make no mistake, I really like the Blackout and look forward to hearing the proper track and I'm okay with the ned/zach lyrics but they are a bit odd is all. Won't prevent me from blasting the song with my windows down!

This is true. But the rule applies to everyone equally. It seems to be doing well comparatively to other artists I see. Smaller artist like Tegan and Sarah I see with views around 20k, bigger bands like The National have about a million.
I think the goal is awareness, I definitely don't go and listen to the whole thing when I look at U2's page. But I have viewed their page a lot more in the last week then I ever have. I think that's the goal. Drive interest and engagement I the bigger album rollout plan
This video has 4.3 million views

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156247427778812&id=86680728811

Maybe it's already been discussed on here, but who is the dinosaur roaming the earth? Trump?

I'm presuming the big mouth is trump ?

I think The Blackout has some of the most introspective lyrics Bono has written in a long time, maybe since Pop... but all you fuckers can't talk about it Ned and Fred.

bXkjW.gif

HFd64Mc.gif

I think The Blackout has some of the most introspective lyrics Bono has written in a long time, maybe since Pop... but all you fuckers can't talk about it Ned and Fred.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade....Jade
I'm just saying it's a bit odd....Todd
I get that not ever song will be like hitting the lotto....Otto
And that some of us tend to focus on dumb things, so don't kill us....Phyllis

I couldn't resist....but really, The Blackout is a really good tune (June).

So some perspective.

The Smiths, who have 3.4 million followers on FB, posted a video on Aug. 28th. It is auto play, and it has 5 thousand likes and 74 thousand views.

Even if you multiply those views by 5 to account for U2's larger number of followers, that puts the views at 370k.

The National has 800k followers. They have an auto play video of a clip for The Day I Die, posted on the 29th. I've seen it in my feed several times. It has 77 thousand views.

Times that by 19 to make up for U2 follower numbers and you get 1.4 million.

Coldplay with 36 million followers! I found the most watched recent auto play video. It was them closing a show with the scientist. Posted august 19th, and had 1.2 million views.

I'm just trying to find some examples of auto play FB videos from bands with large followings.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade....Jade
I'm just saying it's a bit odd....Todd
I get that not ever song will be like hitting the lotto....Otto
And that some of us tend to focus on dumb things, so don't kill us....Phyllis

I couldn't resist....but really, The Blackout is a really good tune (June).

This comes to my mind: Zed's dead Baby, Zed's dead ...

I try to refuse to listen to Blackout right now .. this roughly 60k compressed audio is making me sick ... di*#

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You're_the_Best_Thing_About_Me

so the song is been release on the 6 but radio stations get it on the 12?

:huh:

I think it goes to radio on the 6th. From what I understand is that the 12th date will be the "impact date" for radio. Which means it would be the first date that the number of spins it gets will be tallied for chart purposes.

Also, I could be completely wrong. But I believe I read that when that first mediabase post came out about it impacting radio on the 12th.

I think it goes to radio on the 6th. From what I understand is that the 12th date will be the "impact date" for radio. Which means it would be the first date that the number of spins it gets will be tallied for chart purposes.

Also, I could be completely wrong. But I believe I read that when that first mediabase post came out about it impacting radio on the 12th.

I hope it's that because it wouldn't make one iota of sense for radio stations to wait a week before they start playing it on the air.

But the way it's written on the wikipedia page sound strange.

I hope it's that because it wouldn't make one iota of sense for radio stations to wait a week before they start playing it on the air.

But the way it's written on the wikipedia page sound strange.

It's Wikipedia, I wouldn't put too much thought into it.

So, will Dave Fanning be the first to play YTBTAM Wednesday morning?

(Hoping it's released before midday cause there's a hurricane coming my way...)

Ok, updating my response here.

The screenshot you see is a static graph that hasn't changed since the first play of the "live" video.

It is now just a frozen graph because the video plays now as a "recoded earlier" video.

So yes, that graph represents the number of viewers over time for the very first live play, but does not represent any group of viewers since then.

Not saying it would be drastically different now, but it may very well be. Just saying it doesn't represent a fluid timeline of current viewers over time.
I would think that viewers going back to watch the video to listen to the song, because they didn't rip it the first time and play it in their cars 20 times a day like we do here, would watch the entire or majority of the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom