Soe 26 - ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a lot of great modern rock being made now - The National, War on Drugs, Radiohead, Grizzly Bear, Queens of the Stone Age, etc. They are all reasonably successful and don't need a duet with Rihanna to achieve success.

New tune is Allright! Hope the new album is more like that. Speaking about the blackout! But the little things is a shit song. What a bummer. SoI was Allright accept half the album of songs like every breaking wave, song for someone, iris & the troubles! After altyclb every u2 album has the problem of Some realy shit songs. Achting baby is:wink great trom start to finish. Wich u2 member pushes those crappy songs on to the album? I think Bono. Can't he pick-up a guitar next week and fucking make Some great u2 stuff?

20 years ago, when I was a teenager, the Spice Girls, Hanson and the Backstreet Boys were probably even bigger than Taylor Swift etc is now. I perceived that music to be shit, but Pop music has ALWAYS had a place and it always will. Meanwhile, U2 had a new record out called "POP", and nobody gave it the time of day. It was a minor hit, I suppose, but overall nobody gave a shit. Guess who is still around 20 years later filling stadiums?

The other day I had to borrow my Dad's truck for the day to haul something. It was a 6 hour round trip, so that meant I got to spend 6 hours surfing his satellite radio (something I rarely have access to). I actually caught U2 several times, everything from "Gloria", to "SFS (acoustic)", and many hits in between. But I also heard The Killers new single "The Man" at least 4 times, in the modern alt-rock channels. I think "The Blackout" would've performed very well in this market. Yes, it's probably not going to be a huge crossover hit, but I don't think that's really in the cards for U2 (or The Killers) at this point regardless of how good or accessible their songs are.

Last edited:
can confirm that there's a loose plan, and it looks an awful lot like this

RS- do u mean loose plan of just the SOA followup, OR, loose plan of SOA followup+ retire?

Assuming ur source is with LN, i wonder if its meant just in the context of the LN deal till 2020. By that i mean, LN worker could hear u2's plan of one final album (SOA) before 2020 and then they 'done'... meaning done the LN deal. (But free to continue music away from LN).

Or maybe u2 shares all career plans with LN, and shares that they dont intend on continuing music at all after 2020....

rs- do u mean loose plan of just the soa followup, or, loose plan of soa followup+ retire?

Assuming ur source is with ln, i wonder if its meant just in the context of the ln deal till 2020. By that i mean, ln worker could hear u2's plan of one final album (soa) before 2020 and then they 'done'... Meaning done the ln deal. (but free to continue music away from ln).

Or maybe u2 shares all career plans with ln, and shares that they dont intend on continuing music at all after 2020....

.IMG_6122.JPG

Lol what's this? I know it's fake I am sure. Never heard this before.

Ps the actual video may not be for young kids lol be warned.
Pps: it is old I guess I see from the elevation era? But where did it come from? Was it an ATYCLB left over?

Last edited:
RS- do u mean loose plan of just the SOA followup, OR, loose plan of SOA followup+ retire?

Assuming ur source is with LN, i wonder if its meant just in the context of the LN deal till 2020. By that i mean, LN worker could hear u2's plan of one final album (SOA) before 2020 and then they 'done'... meaning done the LN deal. (But free to continue music away from LN).

Or maybe u2 shares all career plans with LN, and shares that they dont intend on continuing music at all after 2020....

Isn't the livenation deal just for the touring side? Livenation aren't the record company are they?

I saw this clip of Blackout on U2's Twitter, and the sound quality seems a lot better than the full song on facebook:

https://twitter.com/U2/status/902930240275705857

What stood out to me - and what I can't really hear in the FB video - was Edge's voice harmonising with Bono, which really gives the chorus a fuller, richer sound and melody that I felt was lacking.

Apologies if everyone's heard that, but I only just noticed it, and it makes me think I'll enjoy the song far more when we get a HQ/official download (and I already think it's pretty great).

I saw this clip of Blackout on U2's Twitter, and the sound quality seems a lot better than the full song on facebook:

https://twitter.com/U2/status/902930240275705857

What stood out to me - and what I can't really hear in the FB video - was Edge's voice harmonising with Bono, which really gives the chorus a fuller, richer sound and melody that I felt was lacking.

Apologies if everyone's heard that, but I only just noticed it, and it makes me think I'll enjoy the song far more when we get a HQ/official download (and I already think it's pretty great).

Might just be me or because I'm listening to it not that loud in bed but it sounds the same as the video that was put on Facebook last week

I can't be the only one that's noticed that blackout on Facebook is a mono track am I? When someone does a Facebook live video, which is what u2 did for blackout, The quality of both the video and the audio are compromised in a way that they wouldn't be if the video was just uploaded straightaway. The audio is in two channels but not in a real stereo meaning the exact same sound is coming out of the left and right speakers with nothing isolated to each side like it would be on a real recording. That's why so many things are getting buried in the mix from that video

Indeed, the mix on the facebook video is mono. The twitter clip is definitely crisper, and sounds like it could be in stereo as well (judging without headphones).

The more I listen to Blackout the more the quality of the recording bothers me. I can't wait to hear the proper studio version. Other than capturing the excitement of a live setting I am not sure the audio quality does the song justice.

Is it just me or does that clip of The Best Thing sound a bit slow and clunky... Maybe its just after the Kygo version... I do like the loud drum though. But otherwise dunno will wait till we hear a full version later today. Also the vocal melody sounds so much like EBTTRT...

Takes a few listens to adjust to the pace. I hope they haven't lost edges chorus riff. It is the thing that makes it so catchy

Takes a few listens to adjust to the pace. I hope they haven't lost edges chorus riff. It is the thing that makes it so catchy

Yeah same here. Not much going on from Edge in that clip.... Buts its just a 15sec clip haha

It kinda changes pace when it goes to the children teach or whatever it is bit.

I am liking this raw vibe thing though gotta say.

I can't be the only one that's noticed that blackout on Facebook is a mono track am I? When someone does a Facebook live video, which is what u2 did for blackout, The quality of both the video and the audio are compromised in a way that they wouldn't be if the video was just uploaded straightaway. The audio is in two channels but not in a real stereo meaning the exact same sound is coming out of the left and right speakers with nothing isolated to each side like it would be on a real recording. That's why so many things are getting buried in the mix from that video

No, that's just a given with FB and has been talked about. The twitter video was better quality.

Is it just me or does that clip of The Best Thing sound a bit slow and clunky... Maybe its just after the Kygo version... I do like the loud drum though. But otherwise dunno will wait till we hear a full version later today. Also the vocal melody sounds so much like EBTTRT...

I can barely hear anything from that clip, so I'm reserving all judgement till they (probably) play it tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom