Red Hill Mining Town Video !!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Varitek said:

HOLY SHIT> this is both the cheesiest and the most homoerotic thing I've ever seen in my life. First I was like "well this opening montage is silly, and very litteral." The litteral cheesiness is a big too much wiht the chains dripping with water, some of Bono's hand motions that match the lyrics. And the birds. My god what the hell were they thinking.

But interspersed with this was the most sexual movement ever. First I just htought it was funny that sweaty heaving Bono kept staring at Larry's ass, but then he kept making thrusting motions while holding onto the chain right behind Larry. And Larry just kept pounding away. Wow. Wow. Wow. (As Bono would say.)

Yes. It's strangely dripping with ghey. Not that there's anything... never mind.

It's also a claustrophobic video. The set it so small. I don't know if they've ever done an entire video in such a small setting.

As strange as the video is, it's fun to finally get a look at the video they locked away (for good reason)

By the way, no video could possibly be as bad as that Stuck in a Moment football vid.

brooklynmike said:

By the way, no video could possibly be as bad as that Stuck in a Moment football vid.

That video gets so much unfair shit.

Take away that fucking John Madden intro and it's a great little video.

A good Red Hill Mining Town video would be all about desert scapes and ghost towns. If nothing else it would be less of a laugh. And yes, i'm aware of the fact that it isn't about mining in deserts.

The fucking birds, lol.

t8thgr8 said:
this video wouldve destroyed them

I Think you are wrong! It would have destroyed a whole swathe of U2 fans, especially of the Female variety!

That video would have caused the mass combustion of all Bono droolers :drool: :combust:

I am glad I waited 20 years to see it, mind you, don't think my heart has taken it too well :evil:

'Kay, I couldn't wait, so I checked out the link. I had no real prior knowledge of the thing, either, so this is totally new to me, too. And honestly, the video's not that bad. Sure, Bono's doing some overacting, but he does that in a lot of videos, so I'm used to it. And yes, everyone's standing around looking so serious, and the end shot of Bono, as well as the random "wander, then stop, then wander, then stop" stuff is cheesy, but what band didn't do stuff like that in their videos in the '80s (or even beyond that)? I've seen much worse videos than this. I liked the use of that grainy black and white footage at the beginning, I thought that was a nice touch.

(And I'll agree with some of the comments from the women here. I live in a mining area now, and I tell ya what, I wouldn't mind seeing guys like that wandering around the mines here...:shifty:...)

The "In God's Country" video I wasn't as crazy about, though there were moments where there were some neat shots. I don't know what I'd consider to be the worst U2 video. Hm. Count me in, though, among those who like the "The Unforgettable Fire" video-I just love the snowy landscape that shows up at times throughout, I think it's gorgeous. And I like "I Still Haven't Found...", too-I love any video where an artist is wandering around the streets of some place, simply because it's fun to watch them interact with the crowd and to see the reactions of people passing by :D.

Meh. Fun stuff here-thanks to those who shared the links :). YouTube is indeed a godsend.

Angela

U2FanPeter said:

Is the Bono camera mugging any worse than WOWY?

Something that's very easy to forget is that U2 did have a wardrobe consultant in the UF era for videos and touring. This was something that came out in the Lola court case. It may also be in the UF tourbook tour personel.

Yes, worse than WOWY.

They may have had a wardrobe consultant but I consider their "cowboy" look in JT era their first official/professinal wardrobe-consultant made look.

U2girl said:
They may have had a wardrobe consultant but I consider their "cowboy" look in JT era their first official/professinal wardrobe-consultant made look.

So the 1985 wardrobe person just kept eveything organized, ironed, minor sewing work while telling Bono "Boots, leather pants and that hair are a great look" so they don't get fired?

The best part of this thread are the claims from some people that one single video would have completely sunk U2's career, despite the fact that at the time of JT's second single, U2 were riding a massive wave of popularity. One video - which is nowhere near as bad as many that have preceded and succeeded it - would in no way destroy the band's whole career, and even if the general public hated it, it would have made little more than a dent in U2's huge popularity at the time.

Axver said:
The best part of this thread are the claims from some people that one single video would have completely sunk U2's career, despite the fact that at the time of JT's second single, U2 were riding a massive wave of popularity. One video - which is nowhere near as bad as many that have preceded and succeeded it - would in no way destroy the band's whole career, and even if the general public hated it, it would have made little more than a dent in U2's huge popularity at the time.

You may be right, it may not have made a dent. However, I feel that there's a synergy in the sequence that DID happen, which catapulted them to even greater heights.

Somehow I feel there was a magic that was happening and everything played out perfectly.

I can't explain, but there's something special that lacks in any other band.

Or maybe I've just had too much beer.

Okay, if you compare it the other videos from the Joshua Tree album, it's pretty bad..

But if you compare it to things like Discotheque.. Then it's not that bad.

brooklynmike said:
You may be right, it may not have made a dent. However, I feel that there's a synergy in the sequence that DID happen, which catapulted them to even greater heights.

Somehow I feel there was a magic that was happening and everything played out perfectly.

I can't explain, but there's something special that lacks in any other band.

Could the release of the RHMT video fast-tracked the critical backlash reception the band got for the R&H film? Even that I don't believe.

If it was the 1st or 2nd it may have been a tiny setback, but as a 3rd-5th video the u2 brand as a worldwide act was alreday set in stone.

u2fp

david said:
Okay, if you compare it the other videos from the Joshua Tree album, it's pretty bad..

But if you compare it to things like Discotheque.. Then it's not that bad.

Yes, but as far as I understand it, the Discoteque video was meant to be ironic, and there is no irony in the RHMT video.

Axver said:

Well Said! I for one completely HATED Rattle and Hum, thought it was appaling. An Irish rock band trying to sound like Americans :shrug: (No slight on the Americans) but they were better than that and should have not gone there, but then I guess the mentality was to make it big in the US so sell it to them their way. Glad they never went down that street again :|

When I picture 80's video's this seems to be right at home. I guess most people forget what 20 yrs ago was like. It's so trendy to hate U2 on here so, Fuck Africa. Best I can do for now.

Anji said:

Well Said! I for one completely HATED Rattle and Hum, thought it was appaling. An Irish rock band trying to sound like Americans :shrug: (No slight on the Americans) but they were better than that and should have not gone there, but then I guess the mentality was to make it big in the US so sell it to them their way. Glad they never went down that street again :|

I don't get it. Rattle and Hum contains some of the greatest and most well known U2 songs, they are classics. The movie, however, that's another story.

As for the RHMT video, some of you are certainly right that it is just what the 80s were about, maybe the 80s seem so embarrassing for me today because I grew up during this decade, but the seriousness, the poetry and the heavy themes on JT just doesn't seem to fit with a video like this.

The critical difference is that Discotheque was the lead single. RHMT would have been the second single - WOWY had already stormed the singles charts and JT was #1 around the world. A shocking music video would not have done more than put a dent in the unstoppable U2 juggernaut of early 1987. And honestly, this video isn't bad, especially not if you place it in its point in time.

In short, the music video to the second single from a global #1 album would not have sunk U2's career and anyone who says it would have needs to turn off the hyperbole machine.

Axver I love reading your posts on this forum, but I can't believe you don't think that this video is 'that bad', the 80's didn't have to mean cheese, just look at some Smiths or Depeche Mode vids. It wasn't all about Wham and daft haircuts! This was 87 as well, not 85...
S'all about opinions I guess...

Anyway, of course it's impossible to tell if this video would really have changed U2's trajectory. It probably would have gone down well with certain fans, but the NME cool crowd in this country would have had more than enough ammunition to completely destroy them. I don't think U2 have ever made a video so devoid of any worth in their entire history. For me this is almost impossible to watch.

I'm still not seeing what is so bad about this video. I think some people here are completely over-reacting, due to viewing the video with the pre-set expectation that it would suck. It's dull, yes. The birds seem silly if you don't know the context. But if you ask me, this video is just par for the course when it comes to U2. It's no worse than ISHFWILF (running around Vegas playing a gospel song? Come on!), and it's a damn sight better than a number of other eighties U2 videos: A Celebration, THBAO, AIWIY, etc.

That's not to mention the fact that if any video would have sunk U2 in 1987, it would've been the Streets video with its blatant Beatles ripoff. In fact, that may have been some of the kindling that helped set alight the RAH-era critical backlash. But I really don't see music videos as being very influential anyway.

last unicorn said:

I don't get it. Rattle and Hum contains some of the greatest and most well known U2 songs, they are classics. The movie, however, that's another story.

Personal taste Last Unicorn :sexywink: I am personally not keen on that "Style" of music.

There is a world of difference between European style rock\pop and American. I feel that style was to "Break America" and not really for folks like me :wink:

You either like that style of music or you don't, and I don't.

Back
Top Bottom