Pop vs. ATYCLB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
bean.gif

let's go... discotestjical

Headache in a Suitcase said:

let's go... discotestjical

oh god, i'm listening to that now and as i opened the web page and looked at that message bono sang that line - now i'm all disturbed cause it sounded like he said testical...:slant:

I couldn't pick between the two - love them both but....

I don't like the remixes of the 'Pop' songs on the Greatest Hits cd.

'Discotheque' and 'Gone' were fine just the way they were :up:

Here the story with Pop...all meaning is context dependent. Look at where the world and band were at when Pop came out. How were U2 going to express themselves in a relevant way while still retaining thier sound. How about making a uniquely ironic celebration of pop culture? The first words out of Bono's mouth here in Discotheque are, "You can reach but you can't grab it," which pretty much sums up both the appeal of, and eternal frustration with, pop culture. Which is why I think some people are constantly frustrated with Pop. Not to sound in any certain way, but the thing is you just have to be able to "get it" to appreciate it. Can you imagine a world without If God Will Send His Angels, Staring At The Sun, Last Night On Earth, Gone, and Wake Up Dead Man? I can't. I think if anything the band didn't go far enough with this idea rather than having gone 'too far. Excellent LP.

When I think of ATYCLB I think of one word: earnest. The band before this LP had been a stream of massive, glitzy concert tours with alternate personas, irony and pomp. ATYCLB was a deliberate turning away from that...with a remarkable humble yet profound message: in the end all you got is the love you made or gave. This album isn't a return to "classic" U2...there's a lot of ideas and concepts bubbling underneath the lyrics and music, there is something big happening in ATYCLB--I hope the birth of them will be evident in HTDAAB and I feel confident they will be.

So in my longwinded way...I can't really pick between the two. They both represent something that my consciousness and soul recognizes in a deep way....just they give me two seperate answers. :heart:

Last edited:
Pop somethimes is my fav u2 album. It gots all the sounds. Pop is a masterpiece in the way it is. Great bass, rhythm, lyrics. It's a dreamy record. It's Pop or Zooropa, those records really are a trip.
I think living in Europe makes u more open to new sounds, especially in Amsterdam.... :yes:

Compering u2 albums is no use, they all got their own identity, love them all. Every mood got it's record. atyclb realy gave me something.
But Pop, Zooropa and AB, i think its the magic of totally something different.
(though most of Pop still is classic u2)

I was totally surprised to see this debate still going. Sincerely though, the segue between these two albums I believe is the second most dramatic in U2 history. RandH to AB was the crowning moment of reinvention, but this is right on its heels.

I think the line "The heart is a bloom, shoots up through the stony ground" says it all. Btw, that is one of my favorite lines of all time. I'm not dissing Pop either. That is one incredibly different and astonishing album.

The reason I had it being Pop vs. ATYCLB is that the styles are so totally different that it creates a flood of thoughts and emotions regarding the different aspects of each one. It doesn't mean duke it out or one is better than the other--although some people certainly do appreciate one over the other--it means treasure the incredible depth and variety that U2 have provided for us in their music.

Oh, and BAHH:drool:
THE EDGE'S HIGHNESS HIMSELF POSTED IN MY THREAD.

Now I must go and cry tears of joy to myself.:faint:

Great debate, but there is no clear winner here. Both albums come from different times and places (even though they were, more-or-less back to back). If I had to choose between the two I take ATYCLB. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Pop, but it's just a bit (I mean a little bit at that) disjointed for me.

When I first heard Pop, back in '97 it sounded like a bunch of B-sides to me. This is mostly due to the fact that it was very experimental and nothing like I had heard (mostly from Bono in the news) it was going to sound like. It wasn't really techno, and it definitely wasn't straight ahead rock, so I was confused. It has grown on me tremendously, but I still think the beautiful songwriting and the "completed" songs on ATYCLB make for a stronger set of songs. I admit it, I like "pop" songs, "ear candy" if you will, and that's what ATYCLB gave me. That said, I am truly more of a fan of hard rock and metal, but I like the sing-along, tap your foot kind of song as well.

Now I'm not saying ATYCLB is that much better than Pop, but it is a better "album", because it's a bit more cohesive than Pop. I wish that Pop had that extra month that Larry has talked about to finish it the way they wanted. Then I think it would've been a very successful as well as special album (meaning I think it is a special album, just not successful).

FullonEdge2 said:
Oh, and BAHH:drool:
THE EDGE'S HIGHNESS HIMSELF POSTED IN MY THREAD.

Now I must go and cry tears of joy to myself.:faint:

LOL

Yeah, nothing like The Edge posting in a thread to add a few more pages to the discussion.

I am going with POP. WHilst there are a lot of songs on this album that I dont really like, half of the songs on this album I love dearly and can really get into, for example Gone is in my top 5 U2 songs. Where as ATYCLB dosnt do anything for me, the only song that does it for me a little is Walk On. Another strong thing for me was being able to hear the Pop songs played live, I remember after seeing the pop show that I fell in love with many of the songs on this album. I dont know what it is with ATYCLB, but it has never really grabbed me and I have tried with it, I really have:huh:

ok, ATYCLB was the album that introduces me to U2 (yes, I'm a "new" fan), but Pop have the best song ever (Gone)

so... I can't decide

Feck! EDGE in a Pop v ATYCLB thread...... lordy! Anyway, I'm gonna vote POP. Love the depth of the lyrics, LOVE popmart - the flashing lights, bright colors, everything so brilliantly overdone :drool:

I should post the pics of my POP bedroom...

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Feck! EDGE in a Pop v ATYCLB thread...... lordy! Anyway, I'm gonna vote POP. Love the depth of the lyrics, LOVE popmart - the flashing lights, bright colors, everything so brilliantly overdone :drool:

Yeah. Forget what I said earlier. I'll give a slight edge (no pun intended, lol) to POP. :up:

The Edge said:

They are different LP's. They come from different places. The band was in a different spot mentally during the making of the LP's. I love both of them.

You wouldn't choose one of your kids over the other right?

The styles are totally different it up to the listeners preference.

:shocked:

Oh U2girl you got us both quoted *dies* :yikes:

Edge you are exactly right, that's what Paul McCartney said about his songs too! But like with anyone's kids, some people will favor some more than others, like my relatives do :sigh: Some people are friends with one kid and not her brother. But as a parent and a closet writer I totally understand how you feel. :hug:

I like the food analogy, because we all like something different. If we all go to the all you can eat buffet, we will all put different things on our plate and leave other things, while our friends might take the things we left and not the things we like. It's only natural because no one likes everything and nobody is right or wrong. We have been very lucky to have U2's music giving us all so much to like!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I have to say that I like Pop alot better but that doesnt' mean I don't like ATYCLB. I guess it depends on my mood. I love alot of the live version from Pop....Gone, Please, Last Night on Earth. :drool:

:shifty: I want to see the Pop bedroom! Post some pictures!

Edge should have seen the other 1,294 threads on this subject (or maybe he has):uhoh:

U2Kitten said:
Edge should have seen the other 1,294 threads on this subject (or maybe he has):uhoh:

Yeah, I was thinking this earlier. I marked this day on my calendar. I've never seen a more civil debate on the topic.

If he ever wants to change careers he should look into heading up a UN peacekeeping mission somewhere.

ramblin rose said:

Yeah, I was thinking this earlier. I marked this day on my calendar. I've never seen a more civil debate on the topic.

If he ever wants to change careers he should look into heading up a UN peacekeeping mission somewhere.

:up: :bow:

brianmcf said:
I'm very surprised by the amount of support POP is getting too! You read everywhere how POP was this big mistake and all the fans hated it. Then ATYCLB came out and it was this 'return to form.' POP is far better - just less popular with the general public.

Yeah, I find that interesting too - it seems on Interference, ATYCLB is hated and Pop is loved, but in the general public it's visa versa...go figure :shrug:

Pop is important to me because it got me into U2 in the first place... and then ATYCLB got me BACK into U2 and rock music in general, after I had been listening to pop music - boybands and Britney and all that crap. Without Pop I may have never fell in love with U2 and without ATYCLB I may have never re-discovered U2 or gotten into all the other great bands I'm into now :yes:

I think overall I like Pop best - I'd say it's my third favourite U2 album, though faves change with my mood :p Really though, Pop is solid all the way through, the only track I don't care for much is "Playboy Mansion"... I find it kind of boring. On the other hand, I just LOVE Miami... it's a great catchy song!!! I don't understand all the Miami haters, but whatever. ATYCLB is pretty solid too, though Peace on Earth and Grace are a little eh, and WILATW is a really great song but kinda depressing :( but y'know what can I really say that anyone hasn't, I love 'em both dearly and couldn't live without either of them.

Oh, and someone said they basically only listen to live U2 now - I agree that there's really no comparison between U2 live and the albums... U2 just has so much ENERGY and LOVE live (not that they don't on the albums, but y'know), and the songs tend to rock harder. I'd have to say ATYCLB really came alive, well, live! :p Seriously though, all the songs just gained a new passion...especially New York (which ruled in the first place). Pop was great live too (Please!!!), but imo the album was so good that the live versions didn't improve much with the exception of a couple. But y'know, I'm weird.

It's the blue crack, I tell ya. It was addicting enough before, and now that The Edge is hanging out here...well I'm sure getting less sleep :huh:

Back
Top Bottom