opinions on american prayer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickFly

Refugee
what does everyone think of the song american prayer? this i take it, is a song bono played during his recent tour of america for AIDS with chris tucker. personally i love the song and hope that a finished version is on the next album.

Hard to tell. It worked well in the midst of the AIDS lecture, but as an album song? I don't know. If it's really a work in progress, then maybe it has a bright future.

it shows bono at his artistic finest, exploring new territory with his imagery and the song is going to be a number 1 single across the globe.

love it love it love it love it

I absolutely love it! I listen to it everyday. Do I want it on the next album, no. Most of the reason why it means so much to me is that I was able to see it performed twice. I do not think it belongs on the next album because its not even a U2 song anyway, it's hard for me to explain, but I just don't think it belongs there. I'd rather see the recording Bono did with the Gateway Ambassadors released as a single.

Cow of the Seas said:
it shows bono at his artistic finest, exploring new territory with his imagery and the song is going to be a number 1 single across the globe.

agreed. fuckin' horrendous.

"opinions on american prayer"

cow of the seas: stated his.

mug22: stated his.

liveluvandbootlegmusic: stated hers (i believe you are female, though i dont know you.)

the author asked for opinions. everyone who has posted here has given theirs.

Re: love it love it love it love it

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I do not think it belongs on the next album because its not even a U2 song anyway
Many people are saying this isn't a U2 song, but I don't see the logic in that statement. The music is by U2; the words are by Bono. How much more U2 can you get than that?

michael, some of us in all honesty are saying its "not a u2 song anyway" because of the strong opinions it has raised.

that big thread about this song a month or so ago shows that not everyone thinks too highly of it.

Count me in among those who don't think too highly of it. It's too straightforward, the lyrics border on corny, and the music is just plain uninspiring for me. To me it's a song born of a political agenda and sorely lacking in musical inspiration. IMO it's just a mediocre song, and I expect more from U2 than mediocrity.

Cow of the Seas:

That seems like a bit of a cop out to me, then. If that's truly the case, I find it strange that no one said that, say, ATYCLB or Pop wasn't a U2 album. Both albums raised strong opinions, but I don't think that many said they weren't U2 albums. At best (or worst, depending on your point of view), in either case, people called ATYCLB or Pop "not a proper" U2 album. I find it odd that people go into denial about the ownership of songs. The really odd part is, there have been some really "dodgy" U2 songs in the past that no one, up to this point, have disowned (on behalf of the band). Why suddenly with this song? I think people need to relax a bit, and accept the fact that not everything U2 writes is "perfect" (according to their definition). To that end, U2 write songs for different contexts. As someone mentioned, this was song for a cause, kind of a rallying call. It has to be taken in context. It's only music; it's an art form. Not all art is used in the same way, or for the same thing. Take it too seriously, and we begin to sound like those critics we despise. Criticism is good. Having opinions is good. Denial is bad.

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:
Take it too seriously, and we begin to sound like those critics we despise. Criticism is good. Having opinions is good. Denial is bad.
thank you very much

Michael Griffiths said:

Many people are saying this isn't a U2 song, but I don't see the logic in that statement. The music is by U2; the words are by Bono. How much more U2 can you get than that?

The two times I heard him introduce it, he said it was "something I've been working on with Dave Stewart". He never said anything about it being a U2 song, NEVER mentioned the words album or single :shrug:

oh, and Cow, you're right I am female.

*edited to add that I LOVE the song, love it! but I'd be quite disappointed if it did end up on the next album.....

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

The two times I heard him introduce it, he said it was "something I've been working on with Dave Stewart". He never said anything about it being a U2 song, NEVER mentioned the words album or single :shrug:
Yes, I heard that, too. However, the music is by U2 (Bono introduced it by saying, meet The Edge, Larry Mullen and Adam Clayton), and I'm sure he had a big hand in writing the words and the melody, too. I suppose it could be called a collaboration? If so, U2 still wrote part, if not most, of the song. :shrug:

He didn't mention anything about Dave Stewart (at least I don't recall it. . . ) at the Wheaton College performance. He did strongly indicate it was a U2 song --

"Some of you may know I have a day job . . . I work with four other guys: Larry, Adam, and the Edge . . . and right now, they're all in this box." The box was of course the cd player. "This is a work in progress," he then said after he started the cd player.

Last edited:
I Move in Mysterious Ways said:
He didn't mention anything about Dave Stewart (at least I don't recall it. . . ) at the Wheaton College performance. He did strongly indicate it was a U2 song --

"Some of you may know I have a day job . . . I work with four other guys: Larry, Adam, and the Edge . . . and right now, they're all in this box." The box was of course the cd player. "This is a work in progress," he then said after he started the cd player.

*pretends he didnt read this

Cow of the Seas said:

*pretends he didnt read this

haha, yeah.

It just doesn't belong on the next album, but I guess I wouldn't really care all that much if it was, it's their album, they can put on it what they want......

Diemen said:
Count me in among those who don't think too highly of it. It's too straightforward, the lyrics border on corny, and the music is just plain uninspiring for me. To me it's a song born of a political agenda and sorely lacking in musical inspiration. IMO it's just a mediocre song, and I expect more from U2 than mediocrity.

I agree.

Just because Bono's sentiment is nice and his heart is in the right place doesn't mean I think it's a brilliant artistic endeavour.

well, winamp for some reason keeps throwing in american prayer, despite a relatively healthy selection of other songs for it to chose from.

so i deleted it, and not just off my playlist but off my computer completely. i have found it be incredibly annoying.

Salome said:
I haven't heard it yet
is it even worse than Playboy Mansion?
Am I the only one who likes 'Playboy Mansion'?

...then will the be no time for sorrow
then will there be no time for pain
then will there be no time for sorrow...

This song was definitely a hint of what was to come...

Salome said:
I haven't heard it yet
is it even worse than Playboy Mansion?

It depends on what way you look at it.

If all you care about is the music and lyrics, independent from the whole concept behind the song, then yeah, it sounds pretty half-ass and cheesy.

Michael Griffiths said:

Am I the only one who likes 'Playboy Mansion'?

...then will the be no time for sorrow
then will there be no time for pain
then will there be no time for sorrow...

This song was definitely a hint of what was to come...

Nope. I love that song! I think it was the first one I listened to when POP came out because the title made me curious.

I agree that American Prayer is mediocre, compared to the rest of U2's work, and that the imagery is nothing new. But the song wasn't written for die-hard U2 fans! In my opinion, the song works. It makes people sitting at those AIDS lectures feel something for the cause in a way that words can't. I like it.

mystery girl said:
I agree that American Prayer is mediocre, compared to the rest of U2's work

I would go a step further and say that American Prayer is mediocre all on it's own, not just in comparison to the rest of their work. :)

Back
Top Bottom