opinions on american prayer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Diemen said:

I would go a step further and say that American Prayer is mediocre all on it's own, not just in comparison to the rest of their work. :)
but still, is it worse than Red Light?

Salome said:
so compared to "Is that all?" it's pretty mediocre?

Both are mediocre songs. Compared to each other they're roughly equal in my eyes. Maybe a slight tip of the scales to American Prayer - maybe.

Diemen said:

Both are mediocre songs. Compared to each other they're roughly equal in my eyes. Maybe a slight tip of the scales to American Prayer - maybe.

*flinch*

does this explain why U2 is not in the Christian rock circuit?

imho, it's a beautiful and heartfelt song, not really intended for mass consumption, so a little facile, but how wonderful that he did write a song!

now, if he went to church more, he'd have a better background in hymns, lol

very good for it's purpose, very heartfelt lyrics. song on album=bad. song as charity single=good. song's lyrics taken without context=bad. lyrics within context=good.

i'm a bit biased, but when i heard it i was sobbing. with all the issues and facts, it's very overwhelming.

i, too, would be a bit disappointed if it's on the next album. it isn't quite u2 album calliber.

Stories for Boys said:
song's lyrics taken without context=bad. lyrics within context=good.

I simply disagree with that.

There have been many (too many to mention) politically/emotionally charged songs, not just from U2 but other bands. And many of them have brilliant lyrics. Context may improve the impact of the song, but not the lyrics. They are still very mediocre.

anitram said:

I simply disagree with that.

There have been many (too many to mention) politically/emotionally charged songs, not just from U2 but other bands. And many of them have brilliant lyrics. Context may improve the impact of the song, but not the lyrics. They are still very mediocre.

I agree with what you said here, but I think maybe what Laura was trying to say is that, given the context, the lyrics simply were not important. For me, he could have gone up there and sang the Barney themesong with those kids and I still would've felt the same way I do now about the entire thing.

you know what...the majority of the lyrics were a bit cheesy, but as lies said, it didn't matter to the kids singing them, and it didn't matter to me either at the time. this song is good in the context, which is the heartland of america tour with the gateway ambassadors...and like i said earlier, i, too, would be disappointed if it's on the album..it just isn't the quality we expect for that.

*edited to say*
there's just something different when of the kids singing along, probably 1/3 of the guys and 1/2 the girls will die from AIDS...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom