New Window in the Skies video!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Amazing. Some of my favorite artists past and present. Someone said it earlier, but it reminds me of how much I love music. I especially love the part where someone's strumming a guitar and sparks are flying off the strings :love: I also love how all the guys are straining to see over the rest of the crowd. Shorties :laugh: :wink:

:warmfuzzies:

U2FanPeter said:
Artists curiously absent:

REM*#
Springsteen*
Neil Young*
The Beatles*
Van Morrison*
Dylan*
Peter Gabriel*
Prince*
Jimmy Page*
The other 3 members of The Who #
Green Day(they were in the last U2 video)
Pearl Jam*
Tom Waits*
Metallica*
Strokes*
Coldplay #
Stone Roses*(Achtung Baby was hugely influenced by the Manchester sound)
Any electronic artists: NIN*/Depeche*/Kraftwerk*
Any Pop acts like ABBA*# or Bee Gees #(Bono has been extensively interviews for Docus on both groups)
Clapton*
BB King*
Queen*
Leadbelly*

* = Artists that are known to be a pain in the ass giving video clearance
# = Groups U2 may not even want in their videos

u2fp

Interesting list

Just curious why might U2 not want REM in their clip??!

senrab said:
I bet some people got left out because 1) they weren't able to get a good edit in order to keep in meter with the song or 2) U2 couldn't get permission to use them in the video.

I thought I spotted a shot of Bruce in there.

Who is the 60s era African-American woman in a sweater at the beginning and then I believe reappears at the end?

seriously, is this official? there's still no certainty.
has anyone seen it on MTV or VH1? Or better, any of the boys making any comments about it??

emm, while we're at it, WITS ain't making no chart performance it seems anywhere in the world..:sad: :sad: :mad: :eyebrow:

Last edited:
TheBrazilianFly said:

And during the "I've got no shame" I think it's Joan Jett not Chrissie Hynde from The Pretenders.

I think that's Chrissie. Having the African children in the video for me means "Can You see what love has done?"

Look at all the good things that come out of love.
The One campaign, RED, Global Fund, etc.

I think the video is so Beatlesque...just like the song. I love it!

Caroni said:
I think U2.com has reached rock button, I can´t believe they have to put their videos in Youtube (I´m not sure if I wrote that well ):reject:

Your point is very clear.

Btw, did you see that the new Time person of the year is -- You! as in bloggers, posters, Youtube, citizen journalists, etc. So we should all pat ourselves on the back.

I'm not quite sure what I think of it yet. It's definitely original for U2. I guess it goes back to Bono saying "It's a universal song."

I and I in the said:
I'm 90% sure thats Adam at 2:30 kissing a girl.

notadam.jpg

Its not him. This dude is like twice the size of Adam and is clearly just a couple kissing in a crowd.

(or maybe it's adam and me :drool: )

Loving the video, but everyone i show it to goes "meh" :mad:

MrBrau1 said:

Many young people are stupid and ignorant. They know little about music except how it relates to their necessary hair cuts and tee shirts.

Show me a 20yr old with a Smokey Robinson CD?

Check that, show me a 20yr old who knows who Smokey Robinson is?

There are none. Ziltch. Nada.

It's not cool enough.

There goes any theory that post 2000 U2 only care about the youth market.

False.

Stop making blanket statements. If you knew twenty year ols like me you'd know differently. Stop making stupid assumptions, you're only making yourself look like a jackass.

shart1780 said:

False.

Stop making blanket statements. If you knew twenty year ols like me you'd know differently. Stop making stupid assumptions, you're only making yourself look like a jackass.

And you look like a jackass for responding so angrily. :huh:

I love the idea, and the subtle use of the band in the crowd shots... I kinda wished they had some clips of the band performing too, like maybe at the end, and I wish they had used the cool sparks/roots/arteries/whatever effects more, because those were neat.

i have to say the more i watch the video the more i like it

MrBrau1 said:
Check that, show me a 20yr old who knows who Smokey Robinson is?

come on... 20 year olds know who smokey robinson is... he's the guy in the dr. pepper commericial with omarion.

it took me a while to figure out what the point of this video was... wasn't really until i picked up on the fact that the band members were in the crowd shots that i got it.

Irvine511 said:
maybe i'm reading way too much into this, but i'm really struck by the feeling of completion by this video.

we're about 50 years from the birth of rock and roll in the popular sense (Elvis in 1956), and U2 is 30 years old, and they've just completed the mammoth Vertigo tour, and we've seen the visual dismantling of an Atomic Bomb by love (see what it's done?), and we've got a celebration of the last 50 years in a sort of multi-culti kids singing Coke commerical from the 1970s (and i love it).

there's a real ending here, and we've linked back to the beginning.

it feels like the last 30 minutes of Revenge of the Sith where, like, everything falls into place and you're just like, damn, now i know why Lucas tortured us with 2 crappy movies.

feels like an era has ended. a new one about to begin.

i smell something big in 2007/8.

you just smell something 'cause i farted.

jonnytakeawalk said:
Yeah but U2fanpeter suggested that U2 may not even want REM in their clip. I'm just wondering why that might be

Because REM are certifiably uncool(without Bill Berry) in the US. They were playing theaters on their last tour, although they still do well in Europe and ROW.

shart1780 said:

False.

You'll notice is said "many" 20 yr olds, not all 20 yr olds.

Check out this site:

http://www.rif.org/

They may be able to help you with reading comprehension.

Last edited:
jonnytakeawalk said:
Yeah but U2fanpeter suggested that U2 may not even want REM in their clip. I'm just wondering why that might be

Ignore him.

U2 and REM are still friends and fans of one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom