New Window in the Skies video!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved it...Its trancending different music...its bringing every generation together...that is a well done video no matter how cheesy it may look...i'm excited about the future of U2 videos!!!

Axver said:
That's the stupidest music video I've ever seen in my life. Anyone with half-decent video editing software and access to the Internet could have put that together.

:up: How can you show these legends then throw in Mary J. Blige, Kanye, The White Stripes and so on?

Do they think younger people will know who any of these people are minus the modern day acts?

Holy shit! That's a fucking great video! I LOVED IT!!!!! Great idea!!! It has nothing to do with the song but it still feels right! And having them in the crowd was pretty cool! Really good!
Congrats to the director and for the boys!!! :applaud:

By the way does anyone know if that's Angus from AC/DC at 0:40? I think it is! :hyper:

Screwtape2 said:
Do they think younger people will know who any of these people are?

Many young people are stupid and ignorant. They know little about music except how it relates to their necessary hair cuts and tee shirts.

Show me a 20yr old with a Smokey Robinson CD?

Check that, show me a 20yr old who knows who Smokey Robinson is?

There are none. Ziltch. Nada.

It's not cool enough.

There goes any theory that post 2000 U2 only care about the youth market.

:up: Hated it about halfway through and then I got a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. I think their hearts were in the right place. It was almost a motion Sgt. Pepper's cover with all the famous acts in it.
I also think it's fantastic that they are embracing the other side of rock in hip hop. It all stems from the blues, folks.

I suppose its clever, and the lip-synching is fun to watch, but I wish the video was more powerful/had more to do with what the song is about.

And of course I wish there was more U2 in it, instead of the 20 seconds that we get. For a song of this quality and greatness, the video does not come close to matching it. But maybe it'll grow on me.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:

Maybe they are trying to get them interested. I'm all for my generation digging into older music.

I can't stop watching it! My favorite moments so far are Jerry Lee Lewis doing his thing and taking his coat off with his hair all screwd up and Elvis at the end singing Bono's part. Also Marvin Gaye singing the chorus the first time gave me chills! Awesome! :rockon:

By the way U2.com is on youtube! :ohmy: Great move! :up:

MrBrau1 said:

Many young people are stupid and ignorant. They know little about music except how it relates to their necessary hair cuts and tee shirts.

Show me a 20yr old with a Smokey Robinson CD?

Check that, show me a 20yr old who knows who Smokey Robinson is?

There are none. Ziltch. Nada.

It's not cool enough.

i'm a 15 yr old and i know who that is....:happy:

I think he was in it.

Here's who my wife and I saw in order of appearance:

Zappa
Billie Holiday
Simon & Garfunkel
Roy Orbison
Bjork
?
Marley
Talking Head foot.
Louis Armstrong
?
?
Lou Reed
Frank
?
Kanye
Mick Jones
Nat King Cole
?
Keith Moon
The Rolling Stones
?
Four Tops?
Marvin Gaye
?
Temptations
Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs
Elvis Costello
Ramones
Hendrix
KeithMoon
Nirvana
The Clash
Johnny Cash
Iggy Pop
Radiohead
MJ Blige
Janes Addiction
Elvis
Al Green?
The Smiths
Beck
Beyonce
Elton John
?
?
The Corrs
?
Commodores
White Stripes
Sly & The Family Stone
?
Charles Mingus?
Arcade Fire?
The Beatles
Hendrix
The Pretenders
Alicia Keys
Ray Charles
Buddy Guy?
The Clash
Led Zeppelin
?
Keith Moon
Bowie
Billie Holiday
Smokey Robinson
Elvis
Led Zeppelin
Old Guy?
?
Zeppelin
MC5
Queen
?
Jackie Wilson
Beastie Boys?
?
Talking Heads
Public Enemy
MC5
Public Enemy
Jerry Lee Lewis
Jay Z
Patti Smith
?
Stevie Wonder
Nirvana
Sinatra

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
So, who do we see?

Zappa
Billie Holiday
Simon & Garfunkel
Roy Orbison
Bjork
?
Marley
Talking Head foot.
Louis Armstrong
?
?
Lou Reed
Frank
?
Kanye
Mick Jones
Nat King Cole
?
Keith Moon
The Rolling Stones
?
Four Tops?
Marvin Gaye
?
Temptations
Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs
Elvis Costello
Ramones
Hendrix
KeithMoon
Nirvana
The Clash
Johnny Cash
Iggy Pop
Radiohead
MJ Blige
Janes Addiction
Elvis
Al Green?
The Smiths
Beck
Beyonce
Elton John
?
?
The Corrs
?
Commodores
White Stripes
Sly & The Family Stone
?
Charles Mingus?
Arcade Fire?
The Beatles
Hendrix
The Pretenders
Alicia Keys
Ray Charles
Buddy Guy?
The Clash
Led Zeppelin
?
Keith Moon
Bowie
Billie Holiday
Smokey Robinson
Elvis
Led Zeppelin
Old Guy?
?
Zeppelin
MC5
Queen
?
Jackie Wilson
Beastie Boys?
?
Talking Heads
Public Enemy
MC5
Public Enemy
Jerry Lee Lewis
Jay Z
Patti Smith
?
Stevie Wonder
Nirvana
Sinatra

cool list :up:

I think after Elton John it could bet he Wutang Clan – and after that Vanessa Mae and Beck again and after Sly and the Family Stones (I thougt it was Bootsey Collins) I think it’s Kurt Cobain again.
--and the „old guy“ it’s Horowitz. And after that could that be he very very young Tina Turner?

I can't really explain - I have some problems with the video - to put such legends like Elvis and Hendrix together with Alicia Keys or Kanye West or the Yeah Yeah Yeah that's a litte bit wired....
and on the other side there are such a lot of people missing - Guns n'Roses for example also a lot of their friends like INXS, Pearl Jam etc.

I don't get it how they choose the artist - perhaps it was only the favourite artists from the director - that would be a little bit week.

Last edited:
perrypickwick said:

cool list :up:

I think after Elton John it could bet he Wutang Clan – and after that Vanessa Mae and Beck again (I thougt it was Bootsey Collins) I think it’s Kurt Cobain again.
--and the „old guy“ it’s Horowitz. And after that could that be he very very young Tina Turner?

Tina Turner. I think that's right.

That's right.

:wink: ups there I missed something - I don't thougt Beck was Bootsey Collins but Sly and the Family Stones was Bootsey :wink:

perrypickwick said:
:wink: ups there I missed something - I don't thougt Beck was Bootsey Collins but Sly and the Family Stones was Bootsey :wink:

Yes we debated that one. It's a toss up.

I really don't know.

After Bjork isn't that Mavis Staple?

After Sly & The Family Stone I think it's Kurt Cobain jumping into the crowd.

At 2:14 I think it's John Paul Jones playing his bass.

And the first one to play Edge's solo in no one from The Beatles but Keith Richards from very early on (and I loved that - it looks perfect)

And during the "I've got no shame" I think it's Joan Jett not Chrissie Hynde from The Pretenders.

And after Patti Smith it looks like The Boss playing an acoustic guitar but I'm not sure.

Oh and at 2:27 could that be Bob Dylan in the 60's?

Very nice! I really like the idea, and I love, love, LOVE the part with Sinatra at the end (as well as Elvis singing that bit of the chorus). Seeing the band members in the crowd was a bit jarring, but really fun. Me likey! :up:

I do agree that the running African kids segment was a bit random, though. LOL.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
Wow.

That's their best video ever. :up:

It's very cheesy and very good at the same time.

Anyone notice each band member in the crowd shots at the end?

Wu Tang Clan is in this video!!! How cool is that??!!! This whole thing is so awesome.

I think it might be Aretha after the Stones, and Ozzy Osbourne after Marvin Gaye. After Sly, that's Kurt Cobain diving into the crowd (you can tell by his low-dangling sweater).

Incredible video... insanely well-done and cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom