my favourite u2 related quote of all time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ireland

The Fly
The following 3 quotes come from an article done for Hotpress by a journalist by the name of Liam Fay.
he was just after seeing u2 in Vienna on the Popmart tour.The first quote is my favourite u2 related of all time.

"That any rock band could deliver a show like PopMart is astonishing. That they could deliver a show like PopMart that has a heart should numb even our faculty for astonishment."

"The golden arch was visible from miles away. Indeed, I'd wager it was visible from as far away as the surface of Mars. Perhaps that's the whole point. Unsatisfied with being the biggest band in the world, U2 are intent on using the PopMart tour as a special introductory offer to attract audiences from markets elsewhere in the universe."

"Don't believe the hype. PopMart is better than you've heard. Exaggeration doesn't do it justice. Any embellishment will only be an understatement."

Haha, feckin right! It definitely needed some over the top reviews to match it's superbness!(new word?
tongue.gif
)

Popmart=best tour ever!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Lazyboy you must have a damn dull and monotonous life yourself if you must waste it justifying a four year old tour that was a blight on your favorite band's career! Even the band do not waste time with such things. They only bask in the glory of Elevation. So should we!

Uh if any of us had exciting lives would we be here in the first place?
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by U2Kitten (edited 12-23-2001).]

Hehe, you think they are ashamed of it??
rolleyes.gif

Ok then, THEY themselves are still justifying it to this day, Bono laughed when some1 said it was a flop in an interview this side of the pond, he started spouting all the facts, and how proud he was of it. Edge reckons it is far beyond its time, that some people didn't get it.

just happened that most of the people who didn't get it were slow witted yanks
wink.gif

i'm w/ you, lazyboy PopMart ruled!
biggrin.gif
i could never see why ppl dumped on it, ah well....

------------------
--U2002revolution
(not-a-newbie)

U2: Rock's Unbreakable Heart!

U2Kitten you must have a damn dull and monotonous life yourself if you must waste it incessantly attacking a four year old tour that you insist was a blight on your favorite band's career! Even the band do not consider it a blight on their career.

Well, that's my being argumentative for today, but how long until you understand that even though you "know" Pop and Popmart were both "failures", some people know for a fact that they were excellent and well received.

Now it's time for an argument or something probably. Oh dear.

Skeek you must have a damn dull and monotonous life if you waste your time justifying a four year old tour that was a blight on your favorite band's career. Give it up already. It was a joke. I could list all the reasons I dump on it, and so many others do too, but there is no need. It will all be dismissed as 'didn't get it.' SIGH. Well maybe some of you need to get this: a lot of people 'got it' and still didn't like it. You refuse to accept that. Get over it.
No, I don't believe the band is as proud of it as they are their other work. As the NON-POPtart, I am obliged to take the other side in place of the silent majority of U2 fans who are either not here or will not post in fear of flames. Most of you who are here and post may defend it but you do not speak for us all, so I must represent the other side. No matter how pathetic you may say I am you are just as much so for joining me in this Popfight. Don't bother. I knew everything you were all going to say as soon as I responded to this thread.

Originally posted by lazyboy:
I for one love it, and I know there is many others who agree

I do. Enough said.

Btw, ireland, the first quote you mentioned is great, never heard of it before, thanks for posting.

And I know many who agree with ME!! But I'm not going to sit here and fight, my life isn't THAT dull and monotonous!!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Besides I do not feel like enduring the utter and complete nausea of all the same old redundant remarks and sickening Pop defending responses knowing no one else will have the guts to take the other side. Hey, maybe all Pop naysayers actually do have a life.....
eek.gif

Maybe everyone should and not fight over it. No one will change anyone's mind anyway. This is lame.

[This message has been edited by U2Kitten (edited 12-23-2001).]

U2Kitten, I really agree with lazyboy and I don't think this is lame, it's just my opinion.

I'm sorry, I know you're a passionate fan, but you're patetic sometimes. I'm starting to believe that U2 did really broke your heart with Pop and Popmart, didn't they?
Because if they didn't, how to explain so much hatre and this absolute need to bash their work on Pop and the Popmart Tour whenever you can? It sounds like vengeance, forgive me for saying that. It's sad that you feel so disappointed. I'm fortunate, I'm an old fan just like you, but it never happened to me, maybe I should be glad for it.

And I still think that the quotes originally posted in this thread are great, that's why I replied before.

Originally posted by follower:
U2Kitten, I really agree with lazyboy and I don't think this is lame, it's just my opinion.

I'm sorry, I know you're a passionate fan, but you're patetic sometimes. I'm starting to believe that U2 did really broke your heart with Pop and Popmart, didn't they?
Because if they didn't, how to explain so much hatre and this absolute need to bash their work on Pop and the Popmart Tour whenever you can? It sounds like vengeance, forgive me for saying that. It's sad that you feel so disappointed. I'm fortunate, I'm an old fan just like you, but it never happened to me, maybe I should be glad for it.

And I still think that the quotes originally posted in this thread are great, that's why I replied before.

Couldn't have said it better, nice1 follower
smile.gif

Really U2kitten, never seen ya before, but you are seriously "anti-pop era person"?? It's like your mission in life??
biggrin.gif

Ireland started this thread, cos he loves Pop, and was highlighting some great quotes that some great journalist wrote on this great era in U2's career. I agreed, and commented on it, you come in here like it is some "illegal" operation to like it, do yourself a favour, try open-mindedness for a change. And if that fails, try the thing called "respecting some1 else's opinion", it really does work!
eek.gif

And don't even back up that statement you made about U2 writing it off themselves, did you see the docu on the Elevation DVD?? And how angry Willie was at how Pop wasn't well recieved by more people? Not to mention the many other times I've seen U2 speak of their utter pride at it.

Originally posted by U2Kitten:
No, I don't believe the band is as proud of it as they are their other work.
well, Bono did make a point off saying how proud he was about the way POPMart was received at almost every show over here in Europe

I don't like POP that much compared to other U2 albums
POPMart had HEART though
IMO it rocked

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

ahh popmart, what a great evening.
i love it when people fight over 'having a life'-what is that? it reminds me of a d.coupland quote from microserfs i think...

------------------
CANADA KICKS ASS

Yes, Popmart had a heart, it was a big red one on the screen at the end of the show...

I think America didn't enjoy Popmart so much because it was really making fun of the American Dream--or what it has become. And anyway we have trouble with satire. I thought it was a riot...and made a good point. I'm sure the Europeans approved of the criticisms.

I'm still laughing about how many dissatisfied comments I heard while ushering about how "garish" the set looked. Come on, it was vibrant and bold
wink.gif
. How do you think a modern strip mall looks??

Eh, give it up, the endless justification of Popmart is sickening. It sucked, it's over, thank God, leave it behind!

Popmart=WORST tour ever!

Ah bah humbug to you too kitten!
tongue.gif

it was superb! There was never anything like it, and there probably will never be anything like it! It was unreal, the music rocked! I loved it all! And well, if your mind doesn't expand that far, and you'd rather U2 stuck to the same old pattern, rolling the same old tours(admittedly amazing in their case) out each time, then fine, but I for one love it, and I know there is many others who agree. So well, IMO!!!!!!!! My opinion! And we can justify it if we damn well want, so feck off and go back to your dull monotonous life!!!!!!!!

wink.gif

meanwhile...a million people starve to death.

------------------
Well the God I believe in isn't short of cash..Mister!

Originally posted by cmb737:
meanwhile...a million people starve to death.
I still remember the War tour when everyone everywhere was singing on the streets

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

popmart was by far the best tour ever. anyone who doesnt like it may do so but needs to be flamed really hard.

------------------
~stadtmueller

Really U2kitten... try the thing called "respecting some1 else's opinion", it really does work!
eek.gif

Well said lazyboy.

------------------
"An Angel in Devil's shoes..."

Really U2kitten... try the thing called "respecting some1 else's opinion", it really does work!
eek.gif
[/QUOTE}

Originally posted by Angel:
Well said lazyboy.

Ah so I must respect Pop being shoved down my throat but you all refuse to respect MY opinion and that is the problem! If it 'works' then YOU do it!! I swear, if you people don't want me to talk about this anymore why the F*CK to you continue to piss me off like this? I tried to shut up but when crap like this is posted I must respond. You make me so frigging SICK with your 'respect my opinion' BULLSHIT because you don't respect mine, oh no if someone doesn't like Pop there is something wrong with them! They 'didn't get it' and shit like that, ho hum!
rolleyes.gif
Talk about a 'double standard.'

You have succeeded in spoiling my Christmas Eve.
frown.gif
Please give it a rest, I tried to, can't you see that?

Scatteroflight- AAHHH! WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEED YOU GIRL???!!!
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by U2Kitten (edited 12-24-2001).]

U2kitten, I think the point that lazyboy was trying to make was that Ireland posted this topic in good faith. Stating that those were his favourite quotes of all time, and they happened to be about Popmart.
That being said, you really had no business coming in here bashing Popmart. It was simply an 'appreciation' thread and you wrecked it. Of course your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's, it just didn't belong in this thread, that's all. You needn't get so angry, my god, it's just a band.
And if something this trivial could possibly have any effect on your Christmas, then perhaps you need to re-evaluate what is important in your life. Maybe some anger mangement classes in the New Year could do you some good.

------------------
"An Angel in Devil's shoes..."

Originally posted by Angel:

Maybe some anger mangement classes in the New Year could do you some good.

So here it goes again, insinuating I 'need help.'
rolleyes.gif
Oh, she hates Pop something must be wrong with her! Let's put her away!
eek.gif

Look, everyone who posts topics here knows people are going to express opposing views, so don't say I 'wrecked' it. Look at the political topics for goodness sakes, and how many opposing views there are? It seems like we can bash anything and anyone around here but POP and that makes me sick. Angel, I avoided posting all last night and this morning but it was your stab that got to me so much. If you people think this is so stupid and it's only a band then why are YOU responding to it?

I really do have to go, I'm going out of town to visit relatives and I have 3 kids and lots of stuff to worry about. If you still want to talk about me behind my back enjoy yourselves! I'm gone......

Originally posted by U2Kitten:
...Angel, I avoided posting all last night and this morning but it was your stab that got to me so much. If you people think this is so stupid and it's only a band then why are YOU responding to it?

What stab? I only agreed with lazyboy. Then you went off on your anger spree. Don't turn this around and make it about me. I could honestly care less, I just personally don't think every thread should have to be open to such opposing opinions, that's all. Ireland's thread was nice, and it would have been nice to simply have an appreication thread to Popmart. You can go and start your own Popmart hating thread, and you can be sure we'll stay out of that.
You don't need to be so mean.

What stab? The very fact that you drug this up again after it had died down, proving you were making a statement against me.

MEAN?? I am a very nice person who just can't stand Pop. I am NOT the one who is 'mean'- if others would not be mean, I would just shut up. This really does no good for any of us you know.

My own Popmart hating thread? You really think no one would show up and bash me? I would have NO support because the others on my side have NO GUTS for this fight, and that makes me sick too. At least I got the nerve to say what I really think, despite the flames!!
biggrin.gif

I REALLY do have to go now, I am running behind.......

Originally posted by Salome:
I still remember the War tour when everyone everywhere was singing on the streets

biggrin.gif
!!!
hehe, that thing about Popmart causing 3rd world poverty must be the best criticism ever!!!

Jesus mary and joseph, can't wait until Ireland see's what sprouting a few quotes has done
tongue.gif

Kitten, woman, you gotta take some chill pill's, last night, see all the
wink.gif
, and
biggrin.gif
??
I was having a laugh!!!! God, yes I was being honest with my opinion, but that is all it is!!!!! Fuck sake, the shit about it ruining your christmas eve
rolleyes.gif

I agree with Angel, you gotta go to to some good ol' anger management!

You see, your problem is not that you hate Pop, jaysus, my whole family hate U2, and would close the curtains if they were playing in the back yard!!!!!!

Your problem is that it really really gets to you that some people think it was amazing. I don't give 2 fucks if you hate it, just don't take it so seriously, and if ya don't wanna get into a debate over it, or if you can't handle it, then don't feckin start one!!!!!!
rolleyes.gif

Seriously girl, you are the only one with a problem in this instance.

merry christmas, don't let a fucking U2 fan forum get to you!

Well, at least ya can't say Pop didn't "touch" ya
wink.gif

Lazyboy my sympathy about your family! I have relatives who did like U2 (all except POP) but got fed up with them because they thought I went to too many concerts! LAME!!

SIGH now I am so far behind I will never get everything done and still leave on time.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!!
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom