More ATYCLB songs on last leg of Vertigo tour because of U218 Release?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Man

ONE love, blood, life
So, Walk On and Kite will apparently be played on the last leg of the Vertigo tour. Are they promoting U218 that contains a lot of atyclb songs?

No. Because Elevation never came to Australia, they have two albums that they're trying to give some kind of equal play to.

Like when REM did the Monster tour but did a slew of Automatic/Out of Time songs as well.

Yeah, I think they had commented months before U2:18 that the last leg had two albums that needed touring.

nathan1977 said:
No. Because Elevation never came to Australia, they have two albums that they're trying to give some kind of equal play to.

But the Elevation Tour didnt come to S. America either and we didnt get that ATYCLB songs...

I think it is a promotion of U218 more than making up for the Elevation Tour not coming. I don't think the band would even consider playing songs from a previous album just because these places didn't get the last tour. Why weren't more ATYCLB songs played when the band was in Latin America for the 4th Leg when that part of the world didn't get Elevation?

They didn't tour the US in support of Zooropa and yet they didn't feel the need to make it up to us with Zooropa songs during the US Popmart legs (which would have been sweet)

Last edited:
Screwtape2 said:
I don't think the band would even consider playing songs from a previous album just because these places didn't get the last tour. Why weren't more ATYCLB songs played when the band was in Latin America for the 4th Leg when that part of the world didn't get Elevation?

I think they would.

The reason the band played a lot of 'oldies' was because in South America the 'recent' material was not very well known.

I think it makes perfect sense that they'll play some ATYCLB songs down under, because Elevation Tour didn't go there.

U2 INCLUDED South America as part of their ATYCLB promo tour and even filmed a music video - remember?

Australia was promised a 2001 leg, may have even booked venues, but then opted to add a couple weeks in the US instead.

The U2:18 theory may be challenged if they perform KITE and Little While.

u2fp

Well, I know I was shocked that Walk On never carried over from the last tour to this one (at least so far). I would of thought it to be a key song for many tours to come. I'm glad these songs (Kite too) might get out there.

Chizip said:
They didn't tour the US in support of Zooropa and yet they didn't feel the need to make it up to us with Zooropa songs during the US Popmart legs (which would have been sweet)

That's a good point, but All That You Can't Leave Behind is just a commercial monster compared to Zooropa.

And since that's how NewU2 works these days, that's all they'll play.

I love Walk On and Kite and I'm glad to see them back in the set, but Pop, October, Rattle and Hum, and Zooropa deserve some loving other than a song or 4.

u2boy_nl said:

I think they would.

The reason the band played a lot of 'oldies' was because in South America the 'recent' material was not very well known.

I think it makes perfect sense that they'll play some ATYCLB songs down under, because Elevation Tour didn't go there.

actually it was the other way around, the first date of the SA leg in Monterrey they did Electric Co and Bad and due to the poor response they cut those songs and put others. According to Willie the newer songs were getting huge responses

I also think is because they've had time to rehearse other songs, maybe as a little extra for the delay they didn't want to compe up with the same setlists they done so far this tour

LemonMacPhisto said:

That's a good point, but All That You Can't Leave Behind is just a commercial monster compared to Zooropa.

Yeah I just think it's almost criminal that there hasn't been a full band performance of any Zooropa song on US soil

LemonMacPhisto said:

And since that's how NewU2 works these days, that's all they'll play.

:hmm: New2

Roland of Gilead said:
Well, I know I was shocked that Walk On never carried over from the last tour to this one (at least so far). I would of thought it to be a key song for many tours to come. I'm glad these songs (Kite too) might get out there.

Well, we did get Walk On a couple of times this tour. But yeah, I agree---I thought it would have been more of a fixture in the setlist. To keep the ATYCLB/rest-of-career balance, I would've taken out the flimsy semi-karaoke Elevation.

Chizip said:

Yeah I just think it's almost criminal that there hasn't been a full band performance of any Zooropa song on US soil

:hmm: New2

Mewtwo? :hmm:

mewtwo.jpg

Pokemon ftw!

and you're right that it is criminal, especially since Bono says Stay is his favorite U2 song. :mad:

Mofo said:

actually it was the other way around, the first date of the SA leg in Monterrey they did Electric Co and Bad and due to the poor response they cut those songs and put others. According to Willie the newer songs were getting huge responses

I also think is because they've had time to rehearse other songs, maybe as a little extra for the delay they didn't want to compe up with the same setlists they done so far this tour

Well my point was that they do change their setlist depending on where they are playing.

Now i don't remember when it was said, but i remember a member of the band expaining how they were going to play more Achtung Baby songs because that album was so popular in South America, and that newer songs were a lot less well known.

U2.com is also hinting at ATYCLB songs:
Will they play more material than earlier on the tour from 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' - which they never toured in Australia ? Will they play 'The Saints Are Coming', one of the two new tracks on 'U218 Singles' ?

Stay 2001?(bono/edge)
First Time 2005?(bono/edge)
Wanderer 2005 TV special filmed in LA?
Numb 1993 MTV music video awards(edge only)
HMTMKMKM 1997(1993 outtake actually listed on the front cover of Zooropa!!!!)

also

Lemon was given a full performance before every encore in 1997 over the PA

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

Stay 2001?
First Time 2005?
Numb 1993 MTV music video awards

also

Lemon was given a full performance before every encore in 1997

u2fp

acoustic
acoustic (and only Bono and Edge)
i guess, but not performed at a concert
only the edge, and not at a concert
not on zooropa
a recording of a remix being played while they climb into a Lemon is not a full band performance

U2FanPeter said:

Stay 2001?(bono/edge)
First Time 2005?(bono/edge)
Numb 1993 MTV music video awards(edge only)

also

Lemon was given a full performance before every encore in 1997 over the PA

u2fp

Incredibly weak argument there.

u2boy_nl said:

Well my point was that they do change their setlist depending on where they are playing.

Now i don't remember when it was said, but i remember a member of the band expaining how they were going to play more Achtung Baby songs because that album was so popular in South America, and that newer songs were a lot less well known.

U2.com is also hinting at ATYCLB songs:
Will they play more material than earlier on the tour from 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' - which they never toured in Australia ? Will they play 'The Saints Are Coming', one of the two new tracks on 'U218 Singles' ?

yes I know what you mean

From the Monterrey Gig by Willies Diary

The gig had its moments (Elevation being one of them) but another ‘problem’ (though in many ways encouraging) is that here it seems the newer U2 material is far more well known than the older. The ‘Boy’ songs didn’t get anything like the usual recognition and my visionary insistence that we put ‘Bad’ into the set created without doubt the low point of the evening.

If the band says it's because we didn't get Elevation, then it's probably because we didn't get Elevation. I don't know what happened with Elevation and South America, but it was virtually announced here in Australia as good to go before getting canned at the last minute, and from that the "U2 skipped Australia for that tour" is a bigger story here than maybe it was in South America? U2 cock teased us. Left us with blue balls. They're back and they're giving us a Kite-job to ease us up a bit. I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe they feel like they owe us Elevation more than they felt it with South America. Remember that was the first U2 tour that didn't come here. For South America, only one tour had ever been there. Not such a big deal.

You are probably right, besides they never announced plans of coming to Mexico and South America like they did with Australia

I also don't see how they'd need to play some songs from ATYCLB to promote U218 down under.

They're playing in Australia, i think that's enough promotion...

I am surprised they didn't pull the release date of U2:18 forward a couple of weeks for Australia. With only one new song (Saints already out as single), it's not like it matters if it's released at different times around the globe, and it would sure sell like hotcakes at the shows and in the days around them.

Had these dates taken place in March and April as planned earlier, in all probability it we would have seen a set similar to South America. At most we would have seen BD/Elevation and Stuck in a moment. The additions of the full band Walk On and the fabulous kite (apparently... i wont listen till the concert itself) may be the result of the band having had the time to rehearse and fine tune these tracks.
So i think it is the time they had to prepare for this leg, as well as the fact that Elevation did not make it here.
I dont think u218 has anything to do with this set.... apart from the saints are coming:madspit: ..... cant they play Window instead?

Why does it matter if it's full band or if it's acoustic? Is it less important?

1) Stay 2001(was it ever played with a band like Desire Boston DVD?)
2) First Time 2005
3) Wanderer 2005 US TV special with millions watching
4) Numb 1993 MTV music video awards - billed as "U2"
5) HMTMKMKM 1997 - Listed on Zoorapa front cover
6) Velvet Dress 1997 - Listed on Zooropa front cover
7) If God...Angels - Listed on Zooropa cover
8) Slow Dancing - Stay BSide

Also many Zooropa songs were played during soundchecks of1992 US dates.

U2FanPeter said:

2) First Time 2005

because acoustic versions are stripped versions of the songs, I do love the acoustic songs they play but it would be better to hear full versions, thats the difference

Your logic of 3 songs being at the cover of Zooropa is stretching things a bit don't you think??

U2FanPeter said:

2) First Time 2005

Just because a song was on the Zooropa cover doesn't mean it was on the album. Slow Dancing was played before even ZooTV came around. The Wanderer and Numb weren't played at concerts. This post doesn't make any sense.

Back
Top Bottom