Miami Vs. New York

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prisz25

War Child
So since these two songs are names of cities/states... Which one do you like better and why.

I like New York better for some reason.. It might be the guitar parts. I still like Miami tho ( i have to represent.. awesome song) but i have to say that the beat to New York suits me better.

I will remain true to "Miami" until the day I die. I love the semi-menacing tone in the song and I feel that it lends the tune a lot more character than the laughable and childish "New York." "Miami" is anything but perfect, of course...but when it comes up short, it doesn't feel like a 13-year-old trying (and failing) to write some sort of epic, important song which only fails miserably.

"New York" has what are, for me, some of the worst lyrics that Bono has ever had the indecency to subject the world to (and he's written some real shit, over the years)...though I'll also admit that "Miami" has a few potentially cringe-worthy moments, too. I'm also not a big fan of the overall artificial sound of the song. I know that "Miami" is just as studio-ified as "New York" is, but I guess it's just an aesthetic thing...

Plus "Miami" was probably the best live song from POP on the whole PopMart tour. It translated marvelously, live; I didn't really dig on "New York" when it was played live...I guess that just watching Larry sit there in the dark while the opening BACKING TRACK played, simulating real drums. Ugh. The song wasn't at all "bad" when played live, but I never really felt it. "Miami" smoked. Everybody who went to the bathroom when they played that song (which was most everybody, even in Chicago) can go straight to hell...!

:wink:

Miami vs. New York?

The last time the Miami Dolphins and the New York Jets played each other back in November 2004, the Jets beat the Dolphins 41-14.

M I A M I !!!!!!!!!!!!:rockon:
---

'New York' is exactly what it's about -> mid-life crisis!
...and it's not because of the lyrics at all...

Miami, definately. It has more of a feel for a city. New York sounds like he had to work real hard to come up with the lyrics (which is why they suck)

New York. I like the darker tone to the song, the percussion, and the way the song builds toward the end.

New York, by such a long distance it's not funny. I'm sorry, but Miami is one of the worst songs ever made -- by anyone, IMO.

Miami live kicks ass and it is far better then New York. But... if we're talking about studio versions, I'm gonna choose New York.

The live version of New York so surpasses the studio take it's not even funny. Unfortunately it makes it hard for me to enjoy the album version because it's not as alive as a song about New York should be. Instead of the drum machine there should be banging on plastic buckets or something.

Even including the live version, all New York really has going for it is the guitar solo. Miami is such an interesting confection, you have to give it credit for ambition. The fact that it's so devisive only supports that. The creepiness of the drums and bass in the first half, the Jane's Addiction-esque "baa baa baa"s, Edge's atypical guitar solo which is the perfect complement to the "car chase" line, and finally Larry's homage to Zeppelin's When the Levee Breaks. The obvious talking point is Bono's lyrics, which some feel are ridiculous, others think Beat poetry. Let's just remember that ALLEN GINSBERG himself was filmed reading the song's lyrics. Pretty high praise if you ask me. I'd rather hear more songs where Bono does stream of consciousness snapshots of places and their atmospheres than another fucking song about how the heart aches, breaks, beats, or whatever.

Miami by a mile.

laz

New York. Even though I like Edge's riff in Miami a lot more that solo in New York is just awesome! Both lyrics are great but maybe I like NY's lyrics more. Both great live songs too.

New York is better IMO

as far as U2 goes, NY is towrds the bottom of the barrel (still better than most other crap out there)

Miami is their worst song.

I listen to both of them perhaps once a year.

Miami wins. My only real knock against it is that the beginning is a bit too abstract sounding (the simulation of waves and laziness). Of course waves and laziness are Miami----lol. Miami is a real artful encapsulation of what the city has become or was at the time. NY is fine, but doesn't encapsulate the city the same way, NY is such a more culturally diverse city that the possibility of one song doing that might be too much to expect. NY does have some artful attributes, though. Like the Sinatra homage of some of the "New York's" and the old school Scorsese New York feel that U2 first utilized back on the War album.

New York.....has more of a feel of the city, and actually feels like a tribute to it........Miami is just a name they chose for the song........he could have said "Hollywood" and it really wouldn't have changed the overall effect much....

BigMacPhisto said:
New York.....has more of a feel of the city, and actually feels like a tribute to it.

That's true. Miami definately does not feel like a tribute to that city. It actually sounds like they're passing judgement with some sort of social commentary. The social commentary used to bother me about Miami and Playboy Mansion for that matter, but now I consider it a lovely encapsulation of the roaring excesses and empty souls of the late '90's.

Tough decision. I cannot choose. I like Miami for the amazing percussion of course, the 'here comes car chase' guitar as lazarus mentioned, the levee breaks drum reference and just the weirdness of the whole thing. Love it! New York is one of the songs off ATYCLB I really like (not many like that from ATYCLB) for the soaring tumbling tune, the Sinatra-esque New York New York, apocalyptic lyrics like 'voices from a cell phone, voices from home, voices on a stairwell in NY' *shudders* and again Edge's guitar. Tied for me.

miami.

new york's not a bad song though. i don't like bono's lyrics though, surprise surprise.

the music bed is most delicious.

Zooropean103 said:
Miami, by far... listen to the performance from Leeds. This song was one of the highlights on Popmart.

No.. If you're looking for an awful song from Pop that was incredible live.. You would be best to reference 'Last Night On Earth'.

Stone,
N.

Back
Top Bottom