MERGED-->Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own Single Details

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is the deal. Somewhere along the line the British music industry changed the 'rules" so that anything with more than three songs on it was not classified as a single but rather, an EP disqualifying it for the charts thus the sudden surge in A-B imports. Import A with 2-3 tracks and imprt single B with 2 or three tracks.
To tp that off we here in the US stopped buying singles so they stopped making them so we had to buy the 9.99 imports.
On one hand the industry screwed the fans on the other we screwed ourselves.
Sucks either way. I'm a big singles guy and I always laugh at how stupid I am that I'll pay 30 bucks in import singles for ONE song and the whole album is like 9.99 at Best Buy. So I paid 9.99 for HTDAAB but 30 bucks for Vertigo imports and dvd single.
But I never stop bc I am compulsiver and must have them.
Add the fact that I not only buy U2 stuff, but Bjork who puts out like 4-5 singles an album, Radiohead, Ditto, Depeche Mode and so many more.
its ridiculous.
I need to get help.
I have over 2300 cds.
Oh God help me.

Wow, I must disagree with the majority of you. I think most of U2's 90s remixes were absolutely brilliant. In fact I am in the process of burning every single they've ever released just so I can have every track, every remix, every b-side, on CD. Even the Melon EP. Zooromancer remix of Salome is great, there's a few eight and a half minute deep beat instrumental mixes of discotheque(lol don't remember the names), that are all great, I could go on and on. To me it's really interesting to see how an artist can have so many different takes on one song. But in the end it all hinges on how strong the song itself is. Vertigo isn't THAT strong of a song, and a remix can't be great if the song isn't great, and Vertigo is not great, it's just good, imo. I, for one, love U2's remixes, I think they go to a really unique place, especially the 90s ones.

As for the lack of new songs....let's do some math here. Going by
new b-sides per each album, excluding covers...

Pre-Boy:
Boy-Girl
Touch

Boy/October/War:
Party Girl
Treasure(Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop)
Things To Make And Do
Endless Deep
J.Swallo

UF:
Love Comes Tumbling
Three Sunrises
Bass Trap

JT:
Luminous Times
Walk To The Water
Silver And Gold
Sweetest Thing
Race Against Time
Deep In The Heart
Spanish Eyes

R&H:
Hallelujah Here She Comes
A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel

Achtung Baby:
Alexander Descends Into Hell...
Lady With The Spinning Head
Where Did It All Go Wrong
Salome

Zooropa:
Slow Dancing

Pop:
North And South Of The River
I'm Not Your Baby
Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad

ATYCLB:
Always
Summer Rain
Big Girls Are Best

HTDAAB:
Are You Gonna Wait Forever
?
?

You all complain about how U2 doesn't release as many b-sides as they used to....with the exception of JT, they've been pretty consistant about releasing 2-4 b-sides per record, and they only had five new b-sides on their first three records combined! I'm not counting covers because a lot of you guys didn't seem like you were counting Neon Lights as a new song this record, so I just assumed. If I've missed something, by all means correct me, but I don't think I have. We already have one brand new b-side this record, and we have probably two or three more singles to get the rest from.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:
If I've missed something, by all means correct me, but I don't think I have.

Yes you do! :D
You forgot these B-sides:

The Unforgettable Fire:
Boomerang I
Boomerang II
60 Seconds In Kingdom Come

Pop:
Holy Joe

And I don't know if you can count Silver & Gold. You can also consider it a cover of a Bono song. I'm Not Your Baby certainly isn't a B-side, but a track from The End Of Violence soundtrack (which has the vocal version, not the instrumental remix). BTW, U2 also released a full-band version of Slow Dancing on a Pop single.

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom