MERGED --> "Sometimes..." at Grammy's??? + Sometimes: too synth heavy on the Grammies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that quote about "maybe it doesn't sound like a gift right now" is a little disconcerting because i really want them to rock the house down with this song. but he might just be saying that because it's a rehearsal and he doesn't want to put all his vocal power into the song until the real thing.

I'm not at all surprised U2 is playing 'Sometimes'. Vertigo was kind of overexposed with all the ipod ads and 'Sometimes' will probably be their next US single so it makes sense for them to play it. It is unusual for an artist to play something other than the song that was nominated but it's not completely unheard of, especially with an artist of U2's stature who have the clout to make their own decisions.

As far as the awards go I don't care if U2 wins or not. But I am really hoping that Gretchen Wilson wins best new artist over Kanwe West just because West had such a hissy fit after she beat him at some other awards show (American Music Awards?). The man has a massive ego, totally unwarranted in my opinion, and I'd love to see the look on his face if he loses. I'm also hoping Loretta Lynn wins best country album for having the open-mindedness to work with Jack White and because the country music establishment pretty much snubbed her for it.

The King of England is keeping Sometimes off the radio?
Sounds like Bono's joking about a lack of airplay for Sometimes in the Isles. Is the song bombing there like ABOY is here in the States?

Maybe "The King" reference was to Elvis Presley, who is, believe it or not, at #2 on the British charts. It looked for a while as if "The King" might take the #1 debut away from U2.
Also, I wonder if Bono actually said, at the rehearsal yesterday, that they had won 16 Grammies thus far? It's 14, actually, so I wonder if he just lost count (very likely!:wink: ) or if this might mean they've been told they have won two more, for Vertigo.
We'll know pretty soon.

Sometimes: too synth heavy on the Grammies!

The performance was good but am I the only one who thought that after the first time the chorus was played the song was very heavy on the synthesizer? I mean the thing was louder than Edge’s guitar, I hope they don’t play like that on the tour, the SNL performance was a bit better.

There's the Offical Grammy Thread for this. This post should be moved/merged.

But its better they went to the synth route instead of the overused live orchestra route. Besides, U2 never want to share the stage with other people anyway. That's why they have backstage musicians.

Cheers,

J

yea as much as i like the synth...the sound was a bit too heavy this time around. Not their fault though....i think its cbs'

I thought the performance was fine - not mindblowing but pretty good. It was stark and a little depressing...but that's the song so really the performance fit the song. I'm sure it'll kick alot more on the tour!!!

NYRangers78 said:
just saw them do sometimes on the grammys...sorry to offend anyone but i thought they sounded horrendous...i was dying to hear vertigo or all because of you. that song just does not do anything for me live.

yeah, i have to say it didn't sound good at all.

Well I guess it has to be something.. I mean it would be impossible for someone to appreciate a U2 performance without tearing it apart, musicaly, lyrically or color of their background, clothes or some other bullshit. fucking think up something... find some way to way to put this song and all those before and from this point on down, it's onyl what U2 expects.

Damn, they just won a Grammy while I typed this. Damn how did that happen. Larry is talking about the ticket problem now..

What else do you want???:( :eyebrow: :huh:

biff said:
Also, I wonder if Bono actually said, at the rehearsal yesterday, that they had won 16 Grammies thus far? It's 14, actually, so I wonder if he just lost count (very likely!:wink: ) or if this might mean they've been told they have won two more, for Vertigo.
We'll know pretty soon.

Well, I guess we DO know. So it IS 16 Grammies now!

So Bono did know! Cool!:D :up:

i must agree that the keyboards were WAY too overbearing and virtually drowned out edge's guitar. they made the song difficult to listen to at times.

but...

bono's voice hit the "sing..." part beautifully and i loved the all white backdrop. the intro was nice, too. i think that the meaning of the song and the global audience made it important for bono to kind of give a "send off" performance to his dad.

and did anyone else think that bono was about to go off on an a capella solo at the end???

james

I posted earlier in this thread that I felt if U2 played SYCMIOYO it would likely portend losses in the two music categories they were nominated in.

The lesson, as always; I'm an idiot.

Back
Top Bottom