MERGED-->If U2 had penned "Fix You" + Coldplay can kiss my ass!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sad, you closed minded ignorant _____ !(insert favorite insult of choice here).

The best part of the Coldplay show I saw last week, that by the way blew the five U2 Vertigo shows I have seen out of the water?

No goddamned bitching whiney high maintenance U2 fans.

People talk about Bono being too much to stomach with U2, I disagree...their fans are too much to stomach most times. Coldplay are gigantic U2 fans, probably truer and more realistic fans than many on here, and say so constantly (as recently as today when I read a quote from Chris Martin abou how coldplay has never written a song anywhere near as good as Where the Streets Have no Name or With or Without You).

Deal with it. Do yourself a favor, get over your inability to enjoy anything other than your messiah Bono. I am sure he would personally recommend you listen to some Coldplay.

U2 is just a goddamn band of four dudes that are admittedly limited musicians. Yes they are great...yes they fuck up a lot...yes I love them. There is, however, a million other artists out there that are worth listening to and enjoying. I don't think you can even enjoy U2 without having perspective of other great bands.

My wife asks me why I read Interference any more, and frankly I am not sure why ...this entire thread is such a hypocritical mass of bullshit it's amazing.

Last edited:
wow, slow down cmb737

:eyebrow:

I think most people are missing the point, this aren't allegations ala Liam and Noel Gallagher or that girl who just said nasty things about the beatles, coldplay and other groups. Coldplay and U2 are good friends and Chris Martin says this because they are trying to raise the bar for the quality of their music not to actually beat U2 or because they think they are or could be better, and yes Bono has said he feels threathen by Coldplay

cmb737 said:
sad, you closed minded ignorant _____ !(insert favorite insult of choice here).

The best part of the Coldplay show I saw last week, that by the way blew the five U2 Vertigo shows I have seen out of the water?

No goddamned bitching whiney high maintenance U2 fans.

People talk about Bono being too much to stomach with U2, I disagree...their fans are too much to stomach most times. Coldplay are gigantic U2 fans, probably truer and more realistic fans than many on here, and say so constantly (as recently as today when I read a quote from Chris Martin abou how coldplay has never written a song anywhere near as good as Where the Streets Have no Name or With or Without You).

Deal with it. Do yourself a favor, get over your inability to enjoy anything other than your messiah Bono. I am sure he would personally recommend you listen to some Coldplay.

U2 is just a goddamn band of four dudes that are admittedly limited musicians. Yes they are great...yes they fuck up a lot...yes I love them. There is, however, a million other artists out there that are worth listening to and enjoying. I don't think you can even enjoy U2 without having perspective of other great bands.

Hate to say it but a lot of this post is true. So what if Chris Martin is actively targeting U2 and trying to become the biggest band? Competition is good. Many people here hate it when any band threatens their biggest band status in any way. Hence, all the recent attacks on Coldplay and Green Day. You know, I don't really like Linkin Park, especially with their multiplatinum albums that outsell U2 in the US. But I will never bitch about it and this is the only time I have ever even mentioned it.

Don't degrade other bands in an attempt to bolster U2. Then these same people hear about other Non-U2 forums that degrade U2 and get pissed. Hypocrites.

This has been bothering me for months here. Sorry for the tirade.

this place makes me laugh sometimes, when someone says something that is defensive of U2, we get called "closed minded and ignorant" or "blind sheep" or whatever, pathetic,

also as has been said before CMB, why the hell did you go 5 times if it wasnt a show you enjoyed? why the hell did you give your wife tickets for anniversary, if it wasnt a good show? you had ample time to sell your tickets etc....

but wait no, i am just a blind follower.

bsp77 said:

Hate to say it but a lot of this post is true. So what if Chris Martin is actively targeting U2 and trying to become the biggest band? Competition is good. Many people here hate it when any band threatens their biggest band status in any way. Hence, all the recent attacks on Coldplay and Green Day. You know, I don't really like Linkin Park, especially with their multiplatinum albums that outsell U2 in the US. But I will never bitch about it and this is the only time I have ever even mentioned it.

Don't degrade other bands in an attempt to bolster U2. Then these same people hear about other Non-U2 forums that degrade U2 and get pissed. Hypocrites.

This has been bothering me for months here. Sorry for the tirade.
who cares if linkin park outsell U2 in the U,S,? the U.S. isnt the only country in the world

KUEFC09U2 said:
who cares if linkin park outsell U2 in the U,S,? the U.S. isnt the only country in the world

I don't really care, I think you missed the point.

KUEFC09U2 said:
this place makes me laugh sometimes, when someone says something that is defensive of U2, we get called "closed minded and ignorant" or "blind sheep" or whatever, pathetic,

also as has been said before CMB, why the hell did you go 5 times if it wasnt a show you enjoyed? why the hell did you give your wife tickets for anniversary, if it wasnt a good show? you had ample time to sell your tickets etc....

but wait no, i am just a blind follower.

No you are someone who cannot read and uses comments in his own context to make points that aren't intended by the original poster.

First of all for 300th time and specifically to you because you cannot seem to get this through your head: I purchased 4 sets of Vertigo Tour tickets (all shows in the first 2 weeks of the tour) PRIOR TO THE TOUR. I purchased one set for my wife after the second show of the tour. NO WHERE HAVE I SAID THAT THE VERTIGO SHOWS AREN'T GREAT (I have said they are less than expected and underpar for U2) but by saying that I enjoyed Coldplays inspired performance here in Albuquerque does not mean that I didn't also enjoy U2's shows. The fact is...Coldplay was better. Just plain better. I know I have said this to you at least 3 times and will not repeat it. PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO MY COMMENTS IF YOU CANNOT DO SO IN A WAY THAT DOES NOT MISREPRESENT WHAT I HAVE SAID TO YOU ON MULTIPLE OCCASIONS. All you are doing is discrediting yourself and your positions.

Secondly...this thread was not started by someone "defending" U2. It was started by another U2 "fan" ATTACKING another band on baseless and most likely out of context remarks. U2 doesn't need defending, certainly not here. Calling Chris Martin a pencil neck moron and wanker (among other things) because he appreciates U2 success and strives to achieve what they have achieved is not defending it.

Save your self-deprecating routine for someone else. Poor you and all your abused U2 fan friends that are the only ones that ever stand up for 4 men that are collectively worth $766,334,871. I think they can handle my tour and GA policy critque and stating that I had hoped they would pull Pride from the setlist. I think they have quite a lot of fans that love them, and I would love to see their reaction to most of your posts.

I am not Coldplay's defender...but I am sick of U2 fans and their endless inability to appreciate art in anything other than blue or red designer sunglasses.

Frankly by the way you act and speak on here...you are a blind follower. If the shoe fits...

Last edited:
cmb737 said:

Secondly...this thread was not started by someone "defending" U2. It was started by another U2 "fan" ATTACKING another band on baseless and most likely out of context remarks. U2 doesn't need defending, certainly not here. Calling Chris Martin a pencil neck moron and wanker (among other things) because he appreciates U2 success and strives to achieve what they have achieved is not defending it.

Save your self-deprecating routine for someone else. Poor you and all your abused U2 fan friends that are the only ones that ever stand up for 4 men that are collectively worth $766,334,871. I think they can handle my tour and GA policy critque and stating that I had hoped they would pull Pride from the setlist.

:up:

IT'S VERY SIMPLE.

u2slightsarebetterthancoldplays.jpg

bonoisbetterthanchris.jpg

thomisbetterthanchris.jpg

u2andradioheadarebetterthancoldplay.jpg

i really really don't like coldplay. i mean, i listen to some of their hit singles, and those songs are good songs (i really like Speed of Sound), but all of their other songs suck. X&Y sounds like its filled with a bunch of songs that could be good, with a little more work, but are pure crap where they're at.

and Chris Martin is a total douche-bag

Re: Coldplay can kiss my ass!!!

Another Day said:
Look what that loudmouth moron Chris Martin had to say the other day:

"U2 can be beaten. For me it's no different from the film Rocky. You study your opponent. And I regard them as opponents."

Many people would say Bono causes this by the constant "best band in the world" talk.

I remember a very young guy - before they'd even made their third album - saying he believes there's something special about their band like Beatles or Stones or Who had. Same guy keeps hyping up the band's work.

And I remember a young guy who said he wanted to "replace the people who are on the charts because I think we are better". Actually I don't remember that since I was too young, but I remember people mentioning it.

I don't care if Chris Martin wants Coldplay to be as great as U2. I might laugh at him for thinking his charisma and originality-challenged band could actually pull that off, but I certainly wouldn't see it as a slam of U2 - more of a sign of respect.

However, I'm sick of BOTH Chris Martin and Bono acting like rock and roll is some kind of competition and talking about strategy and all this other nonsense. Rock music isn't sports, for heaven's sake!

:scratch:

OK - I'll bite.

I saw this thread in the Tour Discussion and noticed the title 'Coldplay'. I thought I might read it since I'm going to a Coldplay show tomorrow evening. I'm looking forward to it because I find Coldplay's songs to be full of haunting emotion. They've made me cry a bit. I typically listen to them when I'm driving in my car and I feel like I need a good cry from either sadness or happiness. I think it's the piano.

Anyways, I haven't bought the new CD because I just really haven't picked it up. I got the tickets from the fan club presale (the way to get a decent ticket these days), and am looking forward to hear 'God Put A Smile On My Face', 'Green Eyes' and 'The Scientist' (a song that I had a very good cry to when I first heard it - reminds me of my relationship with my father).

I enjoy their music. They're a decent band.

Surprises me that Chris Martin would say this. But, it appears that this is a 'father,son' relationship. Chris is tired of the constant comparisons to U2. Sounds like the reporter caught him in a moment of sleep deprivation and provoked him.

Harsh emotions in this thread...can we all just get along :hmm:

Although I respect everyone's opinion I'm going to give mine although no one has asked for it.
I'm an old school U2 fan seeing them for the first time on the War tour. I try and listen to as much new music as I can and have to say that there seems to be a good bunch of new bands coming along. Arcade Fire, Killers, Snow Patrol.... and so on.
I have to say though after hearing the whole new Coldplay CD, this band truly is just plain awful. I really tried to give them a chance but it was just way too painful to even listen to. The music is way beyond just boring it's amatuerish. The lyrics? you've got to be kidding me. Well that's my humble opinion and don't mean to BUG any of ya.

I'd love Coldplay if it weren't for Chris Martin's "I'm so sad and lonely, I have this little falsetto I misuse in almost every song, waawaa, I have a beautiful wife and new baby, I'm crying about it"

Gimme a break, I love Parachutes and A Rush of Blood... because the vocals fit the song, and some of the song sound different from each other! With X&y, I felt I was listening to a bad cover of The Unforgettable Fire made in a bad Dark Side of the Moon fashion.

The very end of Fix You when Chris uses his a deeper voice and no falsetto is the most touching part of the song, and if the lyrics weren't so cliche and his voice sounding off-key, then I'd like it.

Healthy competition is fine, and striving to do better is great, but comparing U2 to Ivan Drago??? Come on, He killed Chubbs!!! Wtf?

Does anyone remember the scene in Rocky 2 where his wife is in a coma and Rocky reads her some poetry he wrote?

I prefer Rocky's poem over most coldplay lyrics.

JOFO said:
Does anyone remember the scene in Rocky 2 where his wife is in a coma and Rocky reads her some poetry he wrote?

I prefer Rocky's poem over most coldplay lyrics.

:lol:

213965.jpg

"When you try your best but you don't succeed............"

Last edited:
Re: Coldplay can kiss my ass!!!

Another Day said:
Look what that loudmouth moron Chris Martin had to say the other day:

" U2 can be beaten. For me it's no different from the film Rocky. You study your opponent. And I regard them as opponents." (from One Louder)

rocky.jpg

LOL at this whole thread

Rocky is the MAN

I loved Coldplay's debut album parachutes, I too was hoping they would change there sound a little, be experimental, but now I just find them boring. It doesnt bother me what Chris Martin says, because its obviously just a game to him. But Coldplays music is suited for the grocery store, like thome york said.

I betta ya Chris Martin goes running at night and likes to run up mountains and yell out "BONO" "BONO" like in Rocky 4!

Back
Top Bottom