Jacknife Lee will be in the studio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2girl said:
Some songs will probably be Bomb leftovers. Nowhere near the majority of the material though.

I also remember that quote: they basically had two albums' worth of music. And I think the original plan Bono and Edge pushed for was bring out "Bomb" as it was in Oct 2003 and work on the next album later.

I wonder what the '03 Bomb would have sounded like. Would be awesome to compare. Probably would have Native Son and Xanax and Wine.

Bringing these old quotes (or paraphrases) back to light makes it seem much more likely that U2 is material-wise ready for a new album--which also would gel with the numerous rumors of late. They just need to do all the recording/production/engineering. However, can anyone see them a) releasing an album with no hype this year or b) releasing ANY time before fall '07?

a) no, unless they're REALLY going super stealth mode for this one
b) maybe, I do think an album in 2007 is becoming increasingly likely

Didn't Bono say as much? I seem to recall a quote where he said they had a number of album-worthy songs that simply came from a totally different place to HTDAAB and wouldn't have fit thematically or sonically on it.
Bringing these old quotes (or paraphrases) back to light makes it seem much more likely that U2 is material-wise ready for a new album--which also would gel with the numerous rumors of late. They just need to do all the recording/production/engineering. However, can anyone see them a) releasing an album with no hype this year or b) releasing ANY time before fall '07?
I'm looking forward to the next album, but I don't think we'll see it this year. I think they first want to do the vertigo tour in Australia etc. and then release an album, so fall 07. When they release an album this fall I think it will be too busy for the boys, and would they bring the tour to Europe and America to promote the album?

Well, U2 wouldn't be the first, neither the last band in the world to release an album with outtakes of the last one, of to make to albums originated in one big recording session era.

I don't think this is too late for the releasement of new songs. We don't know the stage of developpment of those supposed songs. We don't even know how many real songs they have finished since the last recording sessions in 2004. If they're almost finished, it won't take that long to the final production and the mixing (since the engineering is done at this supposed point).

If so, and if this is all true, it's not unlikely to release a new album this fall with the boys busy with the tour. Marketing make it for them: a new DVD from a well-regarded tour, the restart of a tour (that wouldn't be impossible too to... get back in 2007 with revisited cities). A HUGE first single followed by a nice video and good publicity is enough to make the big boost in sales and promotion.
And yah, we don't know if the company wants the same kind of promotion as if it was ATYCLB or HTDAAB. Zooropa didn't have much promotion, and the one it had was not very "normal" and it didn't stop the album to go #1.

Aygo said:

If so, and if this is all true, it's not unlikely to release a new album this fall with the boys busy with the tour. Marketing make it for them: a new DVD from a well-regarded tour, the restart of a tour (that wouldn't be impossible too to... get back in 2007 with revisited cities). A HUGE first single followed by a nice video and good publicity is enough to make the big boost in sales and promotion.

I'm still afraid that this is actually TOO much going on for them this fall. Don't forget to add the book 'U2 by U2,' making it three, possibly four or five, big U2 things this fall---book, DVD, tour, then rumored greatest hits album & rumored single/ep/new album. I really think that they'd be pushing the limits of people getting sick of them. Here in DC, they're on the radio all the time. Before every single commercial break, DJ's say, "And we'll have (etc.), (etc.), and U2 when we come back!" Add all that exposure, plus all that they'll get for the new releases/tour/etc., and throw in a new push with ONE and now this random "World's Biggest Peace Concert" talk, and I really think it'll be so easy for the general public to get sick of U2.

In a sense, I think that one of the only ways that the band can avoid that is for whatever CD release they make this fall/early next year to actually be new material. If it's new material, whether a full album or something smaller, I can see people getting excited for it (us not included). If it's just a greatest hits album, then I think people will view that combined with all the other stuff as just plain old marketing.

My two cents. :shrug:

^ Yeah,... what you said makes sense.
U2 has been further from the stage of people getting bored of them. With a bombing of massive marketing that can happen and be desastrous...

Wow, I go back to my "Entertaining" comment in my last post. Its going to be funny when there is no new album this year or maybe even next year and read back through these posts. Especially the ones that GUARANTEE a new album this year or think its almost a foregone conclusion.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:
Wow, I go back to my "Entertaining" comment in my last post. Its going to be funny when there is no new album this year or maybe even next year and read back through these posts. Especially the ones that GUARANTEE a new album this year or think its almost a foregone conclusion.

Come on, don't be boring...
Let us be happy with our dreams. If it won't happen, don't bother, we will survive...:madwife:

IF they're going for an album, the timing is perfectly possible. There's no good reason why they couldn't have one out before the end of the year. There is plenty of time from now till then to cover off everything from initial recording to final mixing to artwork to marketing, even with a tour going on. If this were most other bands aside from U2, you wouldn't be so hesitant to believe that.

Last edited:
Ahh, Blue Room...always there in time to kill the fun and speculation. Who was guaranteeing an album this year anyway?

bram said:
Ahh, Blue Room...always there in time to kill the fun and speculation. Who was guaranteeing an album this year anyway?

Hey, I do what I can! :shrug: :wink: Like I said, I view these threads as entertaining like I'm assuming most. But there are some here that are completely serious about it.

I'm not going back through all the threads about this, but there have been some people that have guaranteed it. They have been some that have guaranteed a new single this year AND guaranteed a new song will be played on the fourth leg also. I'm not making this stuff up! :laugh: :wink: Even though you would think I was. ALL of this based on PURE internet speculation and rumor. :shrug: Hey, I could be wrong because I dont know. BUT if you go by U2's history in any way there is no way a new album of complete new songs is on tap for the near future.

Speculation is fun, thats the entertaining factor like I have mentioned. So have fun, I just cant wait for the threads a year from now. "I thought U2 said an album was due last year??!! WTF??!!". NO, fans speculating said that. Internet rumor becomes fact.

There is no singular reason as to why U2 can't from start to finish - from Edge plugging in his guitar for the first time, to you having a hot little CD in your hands - complete a whole album and everything else involved with that in 8 months or even significantly less. The reason why we find it very f*cking hard to believe that they will pull a Zooropa is that deep down we believe the band are a very different beast to back then. It makes more sense to us now that it would be 4 years between albums, all done on a very deliberate commercial timeline, and that if they are doing anything in between it must be something on another deliberate commercial timeline. An EP/Single to promote the tour only. Yet another Greatest Hits package for Christmas. We also think they've changed personally. Given time off you don't picture them being magneticaly drawn to the studio anymore, and more likely a yacht in France or a News Corp AGM in California. Personally I really, really, really, really hope that they have not actually become that stale or predictable, and that we have no legit reason to be so cynical. They've had 8 months. They have a tonne of leftover material as a basis. They've been in and out of studios for a while. We've heard a few new tracks. Clearly they are doing something 'serious' in September.

They've had 4 months to write and record and find something, and they've got 4 months now to polish that something and get that something out. There's no reason why that couldn't happen, no production reason, no marketing reason, no promotional reason, except that we don't believe U2 are up for it anymore. That's a shame.

Earnie Shavers said:
They've had 4 months to write and record and find something, and they've got 4 months now to polish that something and get that something out. There's no reason why that couldn't happen, no production reason, no marketing reason, no promotional reason, except that we don't believe U2 are up for it anymore. That's a shame.

exactly!!!!

I'm a little late to this party but here's my take on some of these issues:

Regarding the Greatest Hits Album--Could be a possibility seeing that RS wrote about it. However if the only other source is Vanity Fair, then there is a good possibility that VF got their info from the RS article.

Bomb Outtakes--Maybe I'm too positive but isn't there a good chance that the outtakes are "less safe" then what actually made the album? I like some of the ATYCLB era songs that didn't make the album much better than a lot of what did make the record. If Fast Cars is any indication we might have some very cool songs there.

I also like the idea of U2 doing a quick album or EP. I almost think that if they spend TOO much time on the songs then they can second guess themselves and start overproducing and overmixing and making things a bit safe. Many of us like the original versions of the Bomb songs much better than what made the album. Plus, Zooropa was quick.... :drool:

Anyway, I have no idea what may come of this rumor, I hope to God it's not a best of 80-05 or I may have convulsions, but it does look like it is SOMETHING. Then again, I bet U2 went into the studio after ATYCLB and really believed that they would have a new album done by late '02, early '03. They just got sidetracked.

My own hopes? A Best of Live, and an EP of new material to go along with the book. Is that so much to ask? :wink: Just don't overhype it. Overexposure is going to happen anyway, no use in making it worse.

My Predictions? I honestly can say that I have no idea.

Earnie Shavers said:

Very true, and, at the same time, very disappointing, but the changed circumstances (extra leg of the tour, Bono doing relatively less work, the beach clips, etc) should give us far more hope this time.

I just think 2007 is starting to look less "crazy" with each of these news.

But I suppose when the album comes out and what it will sound like has already been decided.

Last edited:
bram said:
Are we really getting our U2 release news from RollingStone and Vanity Fair???

Better than getting it from U2.com... I think they just breathlessly reported that U2 is ready to release their hotly-awaited new album, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" (a U2.com exclusive!)

2007, people. That's my guess.

if U2 would do another Zooropa people would also say "been there done that"

I don't mind news of Jacknife Lee being in the studio
but I'd prefer it to be in a different studio then U2 is in

Earnie Shavers said:
There is no singular reason as to why U2 can't from start to finish - from Edge plugging in his guitar for the first time, to you having a hot little CD in your hands - complete a whole album and everything else involved with that in 8 months or even significantly less. The reason why we find it very f*cking hard to believe that they will pull a Zooropa is that deep down we believe the band are a very different beast to back then. It makes more sense to us now that it would be 4 years between albums, all done on a very deliberate commercial timeline, and that if they are doing anything in between it must be something on another deliberate commercial timeline. An EP/Single to promote the tour only. Yet another Greatest Hits package for Christmas. We also think they've changed personally. Given time off you don't picture them being magneticaly drawn to the studio anymore, and more likely a yacht in France or a News Corp AGM in California. Personally I really, really, really, really hope that they have not actually become that stale or predictable, and that we have no legit reason to be so cynical. They've had 8 months. They have a tonne of leftover material as a basis. They've been in and out of studios for a while. We've heard a few new tracks. Clearly they are doing something 'serious' in September.

Said!;) :up:

Lemonfix said:
I'm a little late to this party but here's my take on some of these issues:

Regarding the Greatest Hits Album--Could be a possibility seeing that RS wrote about it. However if the only other source is Vanity Fair, then there is a good possibility that VF got their info from the RS article.

Bomb Outtakes--Maybe I'm too positive but isn't there a good chance that the outtakes are "less safe" then what actually made the album? I like some of the ATYCLB era songs that didn't make the album much better than a lot of what did make the record. If Fast Cars is any indication we might have some very cool songs there.

I also like the idea of U2 doing a quick album or EP. I almost think that if they spend TOO much time on the songs then they can second guess themselves and start overproducing and overmixing and making things a bit safe. Many of us like the original versions of the Bomb songs much better than what made the album. Plus, Zooropa was quick.... :drool:

Anyway, I have no idea what may come of this rumor, I hope to God it's not a best of 80-05 or I may have convulsions, but it does look like it is SOMETHING. Then again, I bet U2 went into the studio after ATYCLB and really believed that they would have a new album done by late '02, early '03. They just got sidetracked.

My own hopes? A Best of Live, and an EP of new material to go along with the book. Is that so much to ask? :wink: Just don't overhype it. Overexposure is going to happen anyway, no use in making it worse.

My Predictions? I honestly can say that I have no idea.

I don't know if it is my impression, but it seems to me that if we get something soon, that won't be very experimental, in the vein Fast Cars and AMAAW are.

If I'm not wrong (correct me if I am), the Bomb outtakes were even darker and heavier than the HTDAAB final cut.
I guess that's what we'll see, an even more raw thing,
And basing on the beach clips, some songs looked a bit retrospective, and well... if they're really in abbey road, can they get some quick inspiration there?

PS: I liked the convulsions thing...:lmao:

You people are INSANELY pessimistic. U2 could write and record an album in the next couple of MONTHS if they want. You really judge them on just the last two albums taking 3-4 years? In the 1990s they put out an album every other year. In the 1980s it was (almost) every year.

As pumped up as they are about their music I expect and album either this year or first quarter 2007.

Why? Because I think u2 want to.

During the next four months...
1) U2 by U2 comes out, and U2 is signed up to do chat shows and other interviews.
2. Some rehearsing for the last leg of the Vertigo tour.
3. The last leg of the Vertigo Tour.
4. The Christmas holidays.

Does all that leave time to do a full-length album that is a worthy successor for ATYCLB and HTDAAB?

I don't think so. It would allow for an EP and/or some tracks for a greatest hits album. Yes, in the 1990s they put out an album every other year, yes, some albums were thrown together quickly with varying degrees of success.

But that was before U2 the Brand Name. Better to do a couple of tracks that live up to U2 standards than slap something together and endanger everything that's been built up this half decade.

seriously, if/when, they release something, the same things going to happen, people will bitch and moan that they didnt like the songs, that there not happy with the mix bla bla,

i mean look at it, people are already bitching and moaning and nothing has even been decided or made official yet :|

Back
Top Bottom