Inverted cross?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chino

The Fly
On the Rattle and Hum video during Helter Skelter you can see Bono carrying a necklace that looks like an inverted cross for me. Also, there are many Joshue Tree Tour pics where you can clearly see this necklace.

Maybe it's my imagination or maybe not but...is that an inverted cross? It wouldn't make sense to me for him to be against Christianity when MOST of his lyrics are based on the bible.

Anybody know anything about it?

Chino

"We don't know what it is so it must be art"
The Fly - Bono

Its a pogo stick without handles. (The kind Jesus used to flee the romans. So yes, you were kind of correct)

Cooper2000 said:
Its a pogo stick without handles. (The kind Jesus used to flee the romans. So yes, you were kind of correct)

Best post all day!

I was watching a video made by some people at my college in Media Studies yesterday...they were in the college chapel burning candles wrapped in barbed wire and filming the crucifix upside down...when the video was shown at a parent's evening last year (along with another video of girls rebelling against the school and writing 'fuck' on the toilet mirrors) the parents started getting all angry and saying the college was blasphemous...!

..so, erm...yeah, that's it. :huh:

Inverted crosses are sometimes associated with satanic activity, however, at least in the Catholic tradition, this is not always the case.

The reversed cross is also known as the cross of St. Peter because St. Peter refused to be crucified in the manner of Christ, preferring to be hung upside down.

You will often see the inverted cross associated with popes because Catholics believe popes are the heirs of St. Peter's legacy.
picture

gareth brown said:
I was watching a video made by some people at my college in Media Studies yesterday...they were in the college chapel burning candles wrapped in barbed wire and filming the crucifix upside down...when the video was shown at a parent's evening last year (along with another video of girls rebelling against the school and writing 'fuck' on the toilet mirrors) the parents started getting all angry and saying the college was blasphemous...!

..so, erm...yeah, that's it. :huh:

Sooooooo...why were they filming the crucifix upside down? (I don't wanna sound like 'angry Christian' there, I really am curious. The 'angry Christian' part comes depending on your answer. lol. :wink: )

Well, one of the videos was set to some death metal song, which meant a load of black-clad face painted goths loitering around lighting barbed wire candles and outdoor shots of some sort of symbol on the lawn made out of sticks...! Weird. But yeah, the indoor stuff was done inside the college chapel which meant they filmed the crucifix upside down...

but some idiot went on about how they went in and actually TURNED THE CRUCIFIX UPSIDE DOWN!! If you saw it, you'd know it's a physical impossibility!! :ohmy:

Hahaha! Yes!

Well, it's the first assignment we do when we start Media studies to make a music video for a song using just the camera by recording and pausing for each angle/shot, etc. with NO editing! So, you can imagine how that death metal video from last year LOOKS too!! :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom