I'm a bit baffled.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

another/day

The Fly
I just listened too two april 1978 U2 demo recordings, Street Mission and The Fool, but in both of them towards the end is guitar solos which sound nothing like edges style and probaly beyond edges ability at the time plus they were being played over the top of the basic guitar riff. I have a faint suspicion that this might have been Dick Evans playing(edges older brother) just before he left the band. Could someone pease clear this up for me.
Cheers.

And it sure as hell wasnt Bono back then.

Nope, they are definitely Edge. There is video of Edge playing the Street Mission solo live on Irish TV.

Dik had left the band before 1978.

Umm someone correct me if i am wrong...i know the band always said that they were a band before they could play except for Larry...but i was led to believe The Edge wasn't actually that bad and knew a good bit before they formed a few Deep Purple and Led Zep solos?

Axver said:
Nope, they are definitely Edge. There is video of Edge playing the Street Mission solo live on Irish TV.

Dik had left the band before 1978.

This is the strangest coincidence. I watched that video just today, for the first time in ages. I don't know what made me put it on.
Anyway, you're right. It's definitely Edge playing (and Bono wearing the most gawd-awful outfit!)

To me the solos in the early demos just prove that The Edge made a conscious decision to develop his own style rather than go with the others about at the time...rather than he doesn't solo because he can't which is an argument a lot of anti-U2 people use but it shows their lack of U2 knowledge...

Back
Top Bottom