If The Joshua Tree was given Sgt Pepper type tribute?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

necklover29

Babyface
After watching a documentary about bands performing songs from The Beatles Sgt Pepper album for it's 40th anniversary. It got me thinking if something similar was done to U2's Joshua Tree album 20 years on. Who would you have on this album and which songs would they cover?

Keane does a cover of With or Without You on the Live Lounge album from BBC1. I'd include that.

I'd love to hear Michael Franti do One Tree Hill.

1. Where The Streets Have No Name -Aimee Mann
2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For -Annie Lennox
3. With Or Without You -Sade
4. Bullet The Blue Sky -Tori Amos
5. Running To Stand Still -Dido
6. Red Hill Mining Town -Fiona Apple
7. In God's Country -Annie Haslam
8. Trip Through Your Wires -The Cranberries
9. One Tree Hill -Kate Bush
10. Exit -Patti Smith
11. Mothers Of The Disappeared -Julee Cruise

Screwtape2 said:
10. Exit -Patti Smith

That's interesting. Do you see Joshua Tree songs as feminine in quality (I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I noticed that your list feautured female singers.)

BonoManiac said:

That's interesting. Do you see Joshua Tree songs as feminine in quality (I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I noticed that your list feautured female singers.)

Yeah. I think of America as being very feminine and that comes through in The Joshua Tree. It's the kind of strong, compassionate and motherly femininity.

Screwtape2 said:

Have you heard the live version she did of it?

Tori covered U2!!!??? :hyper: I never knew this! I've always wanted her to cover U2 since she's covered practically everyone else!

I would love to hear that! I've always wanted her to cover "Bad". Just her, her Bosendorfer and "Bad". :drool: :combust: :drool:

If anyone has her cover of RTSS, I'd be much appreciative to be sent a copy. :D

fitzchivalry@gmail.com

FitzChivalry said:

Tori covered U2!!!??? :hyper: I never knew this! I've always wanted her to cover U2 since she's covered practically everyone else!

I would love to hear that! I've always wanted her to cover "Bad". Just her, her Bosendorfer and "Bad". :drool: :combust: :drool:

If anyone has her cover of RTSS, I'd be much appreciative to be sent a copy. :D

fitzchivalry@gmail.com

I'll send it you and BonoIsMyMuse in a few minutes. :wink:

Screwtape2 said:
10. Exit -Patti Smith
The ones that, for me immediately stand out:

WTSHNN - Nobody, that is a song that only U2 would be able to pull off
With or Without You - Keane
Running to Standstill - Pete Murray
One Tree Hill - Crowded House (!)

I know this forum has all but individualy combusted into spasms of bubbles over Arcade Fire, so I hate to mention them yet again, but they could do a pretty cool version of Streets. Think about something like the last third of No Cars Go. And the organ.

As for other suggestions:
Keane :down: :down: To be fair, I haven't heard their version, but I can't imagine why With or Without You would need the elevator music touch.
Pete Murray: :down: :down: :down: This great suburban middle age dinner party troubadour would simply make Running to Stand Still sound like, well, a Pete Murray song. No good can come from that.

Keane's version of With or Without You is very good, don't knock it 'til you've heard it.

I'll post my list later, it's sure to be indietastic.

Screwtape2 said:

Yeah. I think of America as being very feminine and that comes through in The Joshua Tree. It's the kind of strong, compassionate and motherly femininity.

Wat makes you think JT is about America?

Streets refers to Africa. Running to a standtill has heavy refrence to dublin. Redhill Mining town is about place in Uk. Bullet the Blue sky is about El salvador. And One Tree Hill is influenced by Auckland, New Zealand!
So all in all, The JT is about american as Charlie Chaplin.

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:
Keane's version of With or Without You is very good, don't knock it 'til you've heard it.

I'll post my list later, it's sure to be indietastic.

Does that mean, since I have heard it...........I can slate it? ITS BORING!:huh:

gman said:

Streets refers to Africa. Running to a standtill has heavy refrence to dublin. Redhill Mining town is about place in Uk. Bullet the Blue sky is about El salvador. And One Tree Hill is influenced by Auckland, New Zealand!
So all in all, The JT is about american as Charlie Chaplin.

While there are all of those references, the music itself sounds very American, for want of a better term.

Running To Stand Still sounds very mid-western, for example.

You also forgot Mothers of the Dissapeared :wink:

Yer right coolian2. So heres wat i meant to say..................

So all in all, The JT is about american as Charlie Chaplin.........
and who in their right mind could possibly forget MOTD (not me!):huh: :wink:

Eazy-V said:
One Tree Hill - Crowded House (!)

No. Way. I adore the Crowdies and just about anything Neil Finn puts his voice to, but I just don't think they would get One Tree Hill right. Sure, Hole In The River demonstrates they can do that style, but ... I just don't think it's the U2 song for the Crowdies.

However, it would be bloody awesome to hear a Kiwi band do One Tree Hill, and I think the best choice is The Chills. Songs like Frantic Drift, Sanctuary, Submarine Bells, and most especially Pink Frost demonstrate that they'd nail it. Martin Phillipps' voice would be perfect.

So, to cover JT:

1. Where The Streets Have No Name: Neal Morse (his cover of it owns)
2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For: Able Tasmans
3. With Or Without You: Fish-era Marillion
4. Bullet The Blue Sky: Agalloch
5. Running To Stand Still: Porcupine Tree
6. Red Hill Mining Town: Dream Theater (another whose cover of the song owns)
7. In God's Country: Straitjacket Fits
8. ALBUM REVISION!!! Luminous Times (Hold On To Love): Crowded House (I think this one would suit the Crowdies much better)
9. One Tree Hill: The Chills
10. Exit: Anathema
11. Mothers Of The Disappeared: Blackfield

Screwtape2 said:
10. Exit -Patti Smith

Interesting choices, quite impressive in patticular Julee Cruise, Patti Smith and Kate Bush. However I would never want to hear the Cranberries anywhere near a U2 song, or Dido. But on the whole:up:
By the way, keep up the good work, I love your posts.

gman said:

Does that mean, since I have heard it...........I can slate it? ITS BORING!:huh:

It's simple logic. Unless you already have some sort of intense hatred for Keane, then that's cool, don't listen to it. But if you're on the fence, I think you still gotta give that With or Without You cover a chance.

Axver said:

No. Way. I adore the Crowdies and just about anything Neil Finn puts his voice to, but I just don't think they would get One Tree Hill right. Sure, Hole In The River demonstrates they can do that style, but ... I just don't think it's the U2 song for the Crowdies.

However, it would be bloody awesome to hear a Kiwi band do One Tree Hill, and I think the best choice is The Chills. Songs like Frantic Drift, Sanctuary, Submarine Bells, and most especially Pink Frost demonstrate that they'd nail it. Martin Phillipps' voice would be perfect.

So, to cover JT:

1. Where The Streets Have No Name: Neal Morse (his cover of it owns)
2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For: Able Tasmans
3. With Or Without You: Fish-era Marillion
4. Bullet The Blue Sky: Agalloch
5. Running To Stand Still: Porcupine Tree
6. Red Hill Mining Town: Dream Theater (another whose cover of the song owns)
7. In God's Country: Straitjacket Fits
8. ALBUM REVISION!!! Luminous Times (Hold On To Love): Crowded House (I think this one would suit the Crowdies much better)
9. One Tree Hill: The Chills
10. Exit: Anathema
11. Mothers Of The Disappeared: Blackfield
tbh I don't know if anyone would be able to do OTH right, but I think Crowded House could pull it off.

The Indietastic/Alternative Salute to The Joshua Tree

1. Mute Math - Where the Streets Have No Name
2. Kanye West - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
3. Beck - With or Without You
4. Pearl Jam - Bullet the Blue Sky
5. Wilco - Running to Stand Still
6. Arcade Fire - Red Hill Mining Town
7. Feist - In God's Country
8. Bright Eyes - Trip Through Your Wires
9. Chris Cornell - One Tree Hill
10. The Smashing Pumpkins - Exit
11. Bjork - Mothers of the Disappeared

Say what you will about Kanye West, I think he'd do wonders with I Still Haven't Found...

And coemegen would agree with my Mute Math nod.

Back
Top Bottom