I cried when I heard "Sometimes U Can't Make in on Your Own".

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really wierd, It brought me to tears over a breakup with my girlfriend, I posted her an early copy of the album, and only yesterday we got back together - ironically it was that one song which reduced us both to tears and helped us realise what we were both missing.

An amazing song - outstanding vocal and one their very very best!

For Laura

The first time I heard it was the SNL performance, and it brought me to tears, which is quite an accomplishment....really. =) Beautiful song, one of my favorites.

Whenever I listen to the song now, I sing the "No regrets. No tears goodbye. I don't want you back" lines Bono added on the SNL performance. I think it really ends the song well. :wink:

I was explaining the meaning of the song to my girlfriend yesterday after we had listened to it and I started crying, Bono's reconciliation with his father is so touching to me, this song brought the whole album and the title "how to dismantle an atomic bomb" into perspective for me. Bono's love for his father dismantled the atomic bomb which was the tension between them. I started to see some of my relationships with others as atomic bombs that needed to be dismantled, and I saw that with love is the only way that this can be accomplished. I was reminded how God's love can dismantle atomic bombs in our lives and how this had happened to me. These thoughts is what brought tears to my eyes. U2 is more than just music to me, it's powerful what it can do to you.

Hi all, this is my first reply. I cried, and cried and cried. I am fortunate that my dear old Dad is still here. Mr. Bob Hewson has two great sons, but our man, Bono is a poet in every sense of that word. Yesterday I told my Father that I love him, I was grateful for him and everything he has done for me. What a way to celebrate Thanksgiving. Just goes to show you what ONE song can do...What pain and grief he must have gone through to write such a song. A house just don't make a home, please don't leave me alone WOW Just thought I would share. SLAINTE

One is great, but I think Sometimes just carries more raw emotion. I love the passion, that exposed nerve, and the way the music builds up, and up, to what one reviewer called "the Himalayas of Edge" long live SOMETIMES!

I thought that i was going soft in my old age when i shed a tear .The first time i heard it was on radio one's live session a week before release date.Could'nt quite believe what i was hearing,IMO Quite simply one of the top 10 songs ever written,holy jesus its a classic.......thankyou U2
ATB-LEE-U2COVENTRYENGLANDUK.

Another U2 nut! said:
One is great, but I think Sometimes just carries more raw emotion. I love the passion, that exposed nerve, and the way the music builds up, and up, to what one reviewer called "the Himalayas of Edge" long live SOMETIMES!

Completely agree.I would also like to add the "Heartbeat "-like bass line the song has.
:bow: -Adam
I've listened to it endlesly since the 23rd, it always chokes me up-always.

Back
Top Bottom