Has U2 ever been this exposed on US TV before? Can it damage the band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Originally posted by U2girl:
Well, yeah, but wouldn't the videos alone help them increase the fanbase just as much? Most of teen/kids audience gets their first music impressions on MTV, right?
smile.gif

errr..who watches MTV these days?

And also, if anyone actually DOES watch it, they're probably not the same demographic that will be watching Leno and Letterman and the Superbowl.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
errr..who watches MTV these days?

And also, if anyone actually DOES watch it, they're probably not the same demographic that will be watching Leno and Letterman and the Superbowl.

Lots of people in a 250 million country, i'm sure.
I remember watching MTV and seeing Where the streets have no name (the very first U2 video i saw). The only reason why i watch MTV (occasionally-when i'm browsing the channels) is to see U2 videos and/or catch new music (that's how i first noticed Oasis or Blur or Radiohead).

Well the Superbowl/Leno/Letterman audiences are older, so aren't they more likely to already know U2? (so they probably bought the album, maybe even saw a show)
Besides, what do any of those three have to do with music?

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-18-2001).]

Kids watch MTV. I remember watching MTV and seeing Where the streets have no name (the very first U2 video i saw). The only reason why i watch MTV (occasionally) is to see U2 videos and/or catch some new bands.

Well the Superbowl/Leno/Letterman audiences are older, so aren't they more likely to already know U2?
Besides, what do any of those three have to do with music?

My point was...no one that I know of watches much of MTV anymore. It's kind of a has-been. they don't play much music on there anyways...just a lot of stupid shows.

And imo, their appearance on Letterman/Leno/et al is a good thing. The audience is older so they will know of U2, but they may not know what the band sounds like these days. You wouldn't believe how many people in my office came up to me after U2 played SNL and talked about how they had forgotten how good U2 was, and weren't they cool on SNL this weekend?, etc. My parents even called me the day after Leno and asked if I'd seen it. lol. Just because a show isn't "about" music doesn't mean that there is not a big potential audience there to be exposed to U2.

So, no. I don't think it's going to hurt them. As long as they don't water down the music or start making commercials, I think they will be alright.

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
Do you ever agree with anyone?

Sure i do.

All i'm saying is the public may get fed up of seeing U2 everywhere.

I hear they are about to do the Jerry Springer show.

------------------
~ME THREE

Don't get sentimental
It always ends up drivel

The word of the day is: saturation

Good day.

------------------
She not waiting on a saviour to come
She's at a bus stop with the news of the world and the sun sun here it comes
She's not waiting for anyone

The Lemon Pure PopAngel

I'm not crazy about all these TV-shows and such, 'cause it's too commercial for me but that was not really what I was going to say so I'm going to stop. *phew* About songs being played on the radio or videos being played on TV; I agree on that U2 deserves to be big simply because they're a great band, but the songs are definately being overplayed on radio. It can damage a song. when you've heard it too much, it suddenly don't mean a thing to you anymore. And that's sad. I don't want that to happen to U2's music.

i don't think i misquoted you but i guess i'll have a hard time proving that now that your post is gone. that's what you get for messing with sicilians.

My point was...no one that I know of watches much of MTV anymore. It's kind of a has-been. they don't play much music on there anyways...just a lot of stupid shows.

Same here.

well, i think the main problem with U2 being on so many TV shows (superbowl, TRL, leno, etc.) is that we're accustomed to the musical performances on these shows to be CRAP. therefore, when we start seeing U2 on all these shows, it's a gut instinct to kind of cringe and wonder whether U2 is now crap. but the main thing to realize here is that U2's music is still awesome. and though it was hard for me to accept at first (yes, i cringed when i heard they were playing the superbowl), this actually might be a GOOD thing for the state of the music/entertainment industry.

for some reason- and bono has talked about this in interviews before- it is a taboo in the alterna/rock world to be ambitious- ie, to go on TV and make sure people hear your music. therefore, some great bands never really get the audience that they deserve- they may be the critics' darlings, but most of the world doesn't know who they are. in fact, for the most part, the only people who are willing to go out there and SELL their music are usually only marginally talented (ie, britney, nsync, etc.). i hope that U2 is showing the world that talented and respected bands can- and perhaps *should*- do the same thing! they should be ambitious! they can play TV shows, get their music on the radio, have a huge audience, and STILL be talented/respected!

in some ways, i think that U2 might be pioneering the way for younger talented rock bands... hopefully, they'll change the attitude that "good" music can never be in the Top 40. who knows, maybe the whole industry will change- maybe someday the top selling acts in the world will actually be the most talented as well.

probably wishful thinking, but you never know....

ps- sorry if this post was incoherent- it's been a loooong day at work, and i don't have time to read it over.
smile.gif

All i'm saying is the public may get fed up of seeing U2 everywhere.

Who cares what the public gets fed up with??? I personally am fed up with Slutney Spears but do you think she gives a damn? NO! So why the hell should U2 give a damn! As long as they are a great band with great music how could you get fed up with it??? The amount all the other crap is shown on TV these days, U2 are still a rarity. I say OVEREXPOSE yourselves U2!! Show the world what REAL music is. Be in everyone's face.

Marketing yourself and your music is not a bad thing, I don't know why people seem to think that it is.

------------------
"An Angel in Devil's shoes..."
newangel.gif

Originally posted by Angel:
Marketing yourself and your music is not a bad thing, I don't know why people seem to think that it is.

Bono doesn't think so either.

I think a lot of rock bands lost track of the importance of selling the music. Hip-hop on many levels pulled the rug from under rock because they were willing to promote their records. They were willing to go on TV and "TRL." Rock groups were too cool to do that. If you believe in what you've just written, you ought to be willing to take it door-to-door, if that's what it takes.

For someone like me who was too young (didn't have a cd collection) to enjoy 1987-88 with JT and all the exposure, 2000-01 has been quite a treat!

I think certain artists do not expose themselves enough, such as Britney Spears. I'd love to see her more exposed... fully exposed in fact.

Nice.

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
I think certain artists do not expose themselves enough, such as Britney Spears. I'd love to see her more exposed... fully exposed in fact.

Nice.

Surely she's posted all over the internet? I mean, I definately would not know, but... it sounds like a marketing direction she might take
biggrin.gif

As far as U2 being overexposed--nah... but that's easy for me to say because I can't get enough. Others have only had good things to say to me about it though. My 37 year old History teacher even asked me to burn him the new album the other day. He has a few of the older albums, and he says he really takes to this one... so yeah, there's not only new younger fans but renewed fans as well. Rock on U2.

Originally posted by Achtung_Bebe:
Surely she's posted all over the internet? I mean, I definately would not know, but... it sounds like a marketing direction she might take
biggrin.gif

Trust me, I have tried looking.

Boy have I tried...

I'm glad U2 has been all over recently. I think that a lot of people didn't expect much after Pop, so it's been a nice surprise to see that they came back and are popular again.

And personally, I watch everytime U2 comes on, no matter what it is. I always want to hear what comes out of their mouths! And each appearance is different because of the things they say...this will always keep me watching.

------------------
One love, one life...
Give peace a chance!
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Create Light
Create Unity
Create Joy
CREATE PEACE!

i don't think there are many people running around saying, "damn those guys, they were out there playing their songs to lots of people, they should be ashamed"

U2 appearing on those shows was long overdue

I mean, TRL, SNL, NBA, Jay Leno, (or was that David Letterman?) Super Bowl - were they ever so all over the place?
Even in the JT days?

I know they're trying to appeal to as much people as possible, but isn't there a time when "a lot exposure" becomes "too much"?
I mean, surely the tour and MTV awards/TRL appearance did the trick already.

------------------
"It's about finding your way into the music." - Edge

"Something inside said this could be everything in your life." - Bono

"U2 as a band does things nobody one else can. I think that is a very powerful thing." - Larry

"Adam believed in the band before anyone did." - Bono

You should read all the threads.
wink.gif

http://forum.interference.com/u2feedback/Forum1/HTML/016655.html

Here's a pertinent quote too, btw:

Bono talks to Robert Hilburn of the LA Times on the renewed hunger for rock'n roll and U2's response to September 11.

Q: Weren't you worried that you might look out of place when you took the new music to the TV shows that cater to the Britney Spears and 'N Sync and Limp Bizkit audiences? You could be seen as desperate.

A: That wasn't the only thing. We don't have a great history of doing well on TV shows, which is why we didn't do it for years. We were so bad at it that our records would go down the charts in England when we went on "Top of the Pops" in the early days of the band. But we worked at it because we had faith in the music.

I think a lot of rock bands lost track of the importance of selling the music. Hip-hop on many levels pulled the rug from under rock because they were willing to promote their records. They were willing to go on TV and "TRL." Rock groups were too cool to do that. If you believe in what you've just written, you ought to be willing to take it door-to-door, if that's what it takes.

You should read all the threads.
wink.gif

http://forum.interference.com/u2feedback/Forum1/HTML/016655.html

I read that, but it doesn't answer any of my questions.

About the quote: yes, videos are important, but in any country, so is radio airplay or the charts. And if people don't like the music in the first place, they can see a band or a singer a million-times and it still won't sell with them. (examples: Britney, Nsync...)
Also, since when do rock bands care about selling or not?!?

Back
Top Bottom