Green Day's album "American Idiot" and U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bsp77 said:

It's five songs. Not stating whether you are wrong or not, but sounds like you do not know enough about it to comment.

yeah, and plus... melodically, they may be different, but thematically, it's one cohesive song... it's not like it's just 5 random songs thrown together for the hell of it

I've read several articles in Rolling Stone and Spin on how much Billie Joe Armstrong has been influenced by U2. He really makes no secret of the fact he admires and likes their sound.
In one Spin article several artist were ask to rate this years hits.

Billie Joe said about Vertigo: "but with U2 they can play just three chords and their experience still shows. His voice is so amazing. All Bono has to sing is that "Feeeeel and I'm there"

that was after Mike Dirnt had said "It kind of sounds like they're covering a younger band's song".

In anycase, Blvd of Broken Dreams is a great song and so is American Idiot. and It's going to be a tough call between this one at the Grammys.
:wink:

green day is overrated (very). i dont want to ever hear from them.

damn, now I wanna throw up.

Here's what Tre Cool said in the Rocky Mountain News in November

"U2 is a good example. We actually went to a U2 concert. They played the new songs, then they started playing old songs, then they started playing different eras, then they started playing Joshua Tree stuff. It was relentless. That's what we wanna do. We wanna attack the audience and just keep bringing it, relentless"

chiso said:
green day is overrated (very). i dont want to ever hear from them.

damn, now I wanna throw up.

Yeah, that's how I feel. Can't stand their music.

Ray Charles deseves the album of the year, its a good album but of course most of the young generation wouldnt give it the time of day.

Shame on you Green Day haters. Their new album is amazing, I'm so glad people are giving them the respect they've always deserved. Go back in their catalog and discover Nimrod if you haven't, great great record.

Yahweh said:
Ray Charles deseves the album of the year, its a good album but of course most of the young generation wouldnt give it the time of day.

I have the album and like it a lot, not sure if I count as young or not (27). But I do not think it deserves album of the year, Ray has done better and there was other better music this year, Green Day and Kanye West for instance.

I've never been a huge Green Day fan except for a few songs, but the American Idiot album is incredible all the way through, IMO.

The album will remain strong in 2005 as well, especially when they release "Wake Me Up When September Ends" which has single written all over it.

Green Day was always just throwaway to me - occassionally fun, but throwaway...

until American Idiot.

It's a masterpiece. 'Nuff said.

American Idiot is a great album...Maybe the best of the year...but they clearly set out to reach a broader more mainstream audience with multiple 80's influences found throughout.

I can't believe no one has mentioned "Are We Waiting" which is an out and out rip off of an Icicle Works vocal (Birds Fly/ Whisper to a Scream) mixed with Edge's "Van Diemens Land" guitar and drums from Tears for Fears "The Hurting". Three great songs made into a new one plug and chug style . Maybe they thought no one would notice?...Still a great song but so obviously copied that it is painful. :huh:

Yahweh said:

I'll probably be flamed for being insensitive, but as far as i am concerned (like the Nobel prize) Grammy awards should not be awarded posthumously. . . :wink:

I don't know why they get called "Overrated." :eyebrow: They've been around 10 years and it's only now that they are getting any recognition at all! They have matured and improved from a punk band with very limited talent to real solid rock artists.

U2Kitten said:
I don't know why they get called "Overrated." :eyebrow: They've been around 10 years and it's only now that they are getting any recognition at all! They have matured and improved from a punk band with very limited talent to real solid rock artists.

10 years in the mainstream. Their first independent release was 16 years ago. Then there was the time they were together before they had full length releases. So yeah, they've paid their dues.

Vertigo has some Green Day influence in it. I won't be suprised if U2 name their next album or Ep "Irish Idiot".

Cheers,

J

American Idiot is a great album, and most people who disagree probably have a bias against them from their past work.

UnforgettableLemon said:

10 years in the mainstream. Their first independent release was 16 years ago. Then there was the time they were together before they had full length releases. So yeah, they've paid their dues.

Thanks, I didn't know about the indy release. They must have been very young, Billie Joe was born in 1972 so they must have been teenagers! :cute: Starting young like U2!

Zoocoustic said:
Green Day was always just throwaway to me - occassionally fun, but throwaway...

until American Idiot.

It's a masterpiece. 'Nuff said.

My 8-year old likes it, but even he sees Hot Fuss and Franz Ferdinand are both better.

Emperor's new clothes and all that.

I'm actually tempted to go out and buy American Idiot now....I haven't bought a Green Day cd since Dookie.....

Green Days new album is definitely a masterpiece.

I think they have made a very innovative progress in rock, by taking 5 different songs and put them into one. That´s brilliant.

I´m not quite sure if it has been done before, except that musical´s sometimes have the same kind of change in arrangements. well maybe Queen has done something similar.

I think you can hear a lot of influences as well, though they have totally turned it into their own style :

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Universally speaking versus Extraordinary girl - the drumpart.

U2 - bullet the blue sky drumintro versus give me novocaine
The shimmering guitar on boulevard... - remiscent to the shimmering guitar part on still haven´t found (in background)

the guitar fingering on wake me up is also (I think) the same notes as played on I still haven´t found with just a different rhythm. I don´t think it´s in the same key though! Doesn´t sound like it!

Jesus of Suburbia :

Intro - 50 or 60s inspiration
Then pianopart - reminds me of Don McClean
In the end, they even have a very soft piano part, where his singing, kind of reminds me of Martin Gore from DM.

Sorry - I can´t help it - Still think you´re supposed to just enjoy listening to the album. =)

-Have anyone noticed the talking part in Holiday - Is it Arnie the Terminator he addresses : "The representative of California has the floor" ?

/Sherlock

Numb1075 said:
I'm actually tempted to go out and buy American Idiot now....I haven't bought a Green Day cd since Dookie.....

It's a great album Numb - I was exactly the same, no Green Day since Dookie, but this one is def. worth a purchase!

They're maturing and growing out of old habits heres to Greenday for being a possible force in the future

My latest painting is inspired by "Boulevard of Broken Dreams". I also haven't actually bought a GD CD since "Dookie", either. But this one strikes me as a masterpiece. This song in particular is one I can relate to big time. It's a competitive business, of course they're going to slag off U2. Of course we don't have to like that. The last time I checked there wasn't a law that we have to.

I don't get it. People say this record is "something new",but I've heard it all a million times. The lyrics are all mediocre except for like 3 lines on the whole album.

But I must admit,I do like about 8 of the 13 songs on this record. But none of those really jump out at me that much. Since when does Green Day care about the things they're singing about on this record? Pretty convenient seeming to me. :eyebrow: Plus,it just sounds like a bunch of 7 year olds got a hold of a dictionary. :drool: IT IS NOT THE ALBUM OF THE YEAR,and I'm glad people saw that. :huh:

Franz Ferdinand is better. 'Nuff said.

Last edited:
American Idiot is a work of genius. All you people who dismiss it have a bias against Green Day's music or you're just so obsessed with U2 that everything else has to be inferior, in your minds.

Back
Top Bottom