finally saw million dollar hotel, i have questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david

ONE love, blood, life
what song was played when tom tom woke up the girl, when he tried to get her to eat breakfast. then she left for the clinic.

and was the entire movie written by bono?
i found the character who believed he was in the beatles really funny, and a nice homage to john lennon.

thanks!

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

tsop elbuod eht fo nruter eht

[This message has been edited by SkeeK (edited 10-19-2001).]

I think the screenplay is by Bono and Nicolas Klein.. the story idea and all came from Bono afaik.

Can't really help you with the song since I'm not too familiar with the movie (saw it once many months ago) if you could describe the song i bit maybe i could be of some assistance..

Skip the movie...go straight for the soundtrack, it's awesome!
smile.gif

The movie...not so much. I didn't like it or just didn't get it or something...

Originally posted by Discoteque:

Diso, my love, it wasn't you...it was the movie.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

the movie was great, the song was falling at your feet right?

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by Discoteque:

Same here.

I love the movie.It's better the more you watch it.I've seen it 5 or 6 times now.I bought it a while back.Am I the only one who likes it?

Bono looks nice when he is in the film for all of 5 seconds

No, UV2001 is not alone, I like MDH, although it?s not the best film directed by Wim Wenders. Maybe you?re not familiar with his work, try to see Wings of Desire, Paris Texas or Faraway so Close.

and david, the song was Falling At Your Feet.

Don?t you have its soundtrack yet?

------------------
Seu pa?s ? lindo. Seu povo ? lindo. Suas vozes s?o lindas. N?o esqueceremos voc?s. - Bono - S?o Paulo - 01/31/1998

It was an okay movie, although, it's safe to say, that I would have done the movie very differently.

Certain things about it just put me off, particularly with the cheesiness of the supporting cast and in just general character development. I find it funny, but I think the only character I really liked was Skinner--developed quite nicely. Wenders, however, gets high marks for camera work and color usage in my book.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Hey, I really liked the movie. You have to give it a chance, let it sink in. It was really well filmed and directed. It would really help to wath the "One Dollar Diary"- making of the movie and soundtrack. Excellent documentary. The song *is* Falling at your Feet and the screenplay was written by Wim Wenders as far as I know. Bono created the story, but didn't write the screenplay....

Cheers!

------------------
"I'm staring at the sun, not the only one who's happy to go blind..."

I liked it too. It's not your typical Hollywood formula movie, it has subtleties and insights that make you think and feel instead of just be entertained. There were some humorous moments, and the filming was great (as well as the music). The characters aren't really developed, they symbolize aspects of the human condition. Perhaps it shows a window into Bono's soul.

Angel, any idea of where I can get the "One Dollar Diary?"

Hey Debbie- The "One Dollar Diary" was taped for me by someone in the US. I think it was aired on VH1, or some american station a few times back in September. I guess all you can do is just keep your eyes open for it.

[This message has been edited by Angel (edited 10-21-2001).]

This movie was "as boring as a dogs arse" to quote one of its stars (Mel Gibson). It was barely watchable, it was so slow-paced.

I didn't care for any of the characters, least of all the main guy...the essence of a bad film. To be fair, I loved Wim Wenders' "Paris, Texas" and "Wings of Desire"...see those two over this dog ANY DAY.

Soundtrack & Cinematography are the only redeeming qualites to MDH.

I fell asleep 3 different times during this movie. The shot on the cover of the soundtrack is cool though. But basically, it had no plot, and was very hard to follow. And nothing happened. Oh wait, I already said that it had no plot...

I too liked it. It was no picnic, but it wasn't meant to be.Sombre. A modern tragedy. What is art and where is the love?

Hey, look what I dug up from last year. I just saw the movie for the first time on cable last night. I love Wim Wenders and, damn, I wanted the critics to be wrong. I tried to like this movie...really I did...but I could "see" everybody acting which pretty much ruined it. It had that unmistakable Wim Wenders quality that I always enjoy, especially visually, but overall I thought it was pretty awful, actually. A friend of mine called it "endearingly awful" which is generous and maybe I could agree if I could watch it again, which I doubt I'll be able to...

Can't wait to get the soundtrack, though. And I missed Bono's 5 seconds. I must've blinked.

OK I actually cried the first time I saw MDH. I really like it!!!!! And I wrote a bunch of poems afterwards. That's always good fer business
smile.gif

------------------
~*Mona*~
ani_bono.gif

LOVE me, give me SOUL

"Rock n Roll never tasted so good" ~Bono

"I think I just said I was smart there - I'm sorry about that." ~Bono
Get on the Boos

Originally posted by martha:
Diso, my love, it wasn't you...it was the movie.

I beg to differ, I loved the movie, I think it could've been better if were a bit more focused or if they just developed Mel's character a bit more cause he is crucial to the movie just severely underplayed (which I just noticed is completely opposite of Melon's view). Another example being that the movie supposedly takes place in 2030 but really is there any hint of that in the movie? So like I said they throw a lot out there but don't really develop it.

I also think that a lot of the characters feel fake because they are all so "unique" but having been to the hotel 3 times, and even more often to the neighborhood I can tell you they are pretty normal in comparison (I happen to live nearby). Being there severely helped me understand the movie.

The One Dollar Diary is a great suggestion by Angel, awesome little behind scenes that can really help its viewing. Which reminds me, my copy has been hijacked by a friend I should ask for it back. I taped it from the Independent Film Channel, I don't know if it's out on video anywhere but I remember Bono attended a premiere of it in a theater in Toronto (?) during the tour so maybe soon.

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

Originally posted by Ody:
I fell asleep 3 different times during this movie....

Same here. I've been able to see the whole movie in parts (in between falling asleep).

I usually put it on when I have insomnia.

Originally posted by follower:
No, UV2001 is not alone, I like MDH, although it?s not the best film directed by Wim Wenders. Maybe you?re not familiar with his work, try to see Wings of Desire, Paris Texas or Faraway so Close.

What is the film "Faraway so close" like? what is it about??

------------------
Smoke me a kipper
Ill be back for breakfast

Back
Top Bottom