Fictitious Zooropa/Passengers Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I've mixed the bulk of Zooropa with what I think are the best songs on Passengers, plus HMTMKMKM, and I've come up with this tracklist. You will all think I'm crazy, but I honestly think that if U2 had, hypothetically, not released Zooropa until 1995, and mixed it with the best of the Passengers album, with a tracklisting like this, it would've been the best record of their entire career. Yes, better than Achtung, and yes, better than Joshua:

ZOOROPA(1995)

1.Zooropa
2.Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
3.Your Blue Room
4.Numb
5.Lemon
6.Babyface
7.Stay(Faraway, So Close)
8.Slug
9.Dirty Day(Bitter Kiss Mix)
10.Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
11.A Different Kind Of Blue
12.Miss Sarajevo
13.The First Time
14.Always Forever Now(with Zooropa Siren Secret Track at the end)

Try it

:drool: :rockon: :drool: :rockon: :drool: :rockon:

It's a good tracklisting, but if I was putting in Different Kind of Blue and Miss Sarajevo, I don't think you could leave out Beach Sequence. Those three tracks segue together quite well. Also, I'm not overly pushed on the Dirty Day remixes - or the track itself for that matter - and would probably leave Dirty Day out altogether.

I think Zooropa is one of my favourite U2 albums simply for the fact that it was recorded so quickly, so my preference is for that album as a piece of work in itself. That's not to knock your tracklisting - I can see what you're getting at - but I think that Zooropa and Passengers as single pieces of art work together as albums more than several other U2 albums.

I think you're missing some of the best Passengers tracks, and have included some really dodgy Zooropa stuff. I'd go for something more like:

1. Zooropa
2. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
3. Dirty Day (Bitter Kiss)
4. Corpse (These Chains Are Way Too Long)
5. United Colours
6. Numb
7. One Minute Warning
8. Let's Go Native
9. Lemon
10. Slug
11. Your Blue Room
12. Stay
13. Always Forever Now
14. Beach Sequence
15. Miss Sarajevo
16. The Wanderer

:drool:

namkcuR said:
I've mixed the bulk of Zooropa with what I think are the best songs on Passengers, plus HMTMKMKM, and I've come up with this tracklist. You will all think I'm crazy, but I honestly think that if U2 had, hypothetically, not released Zooropa until 1995, and mixed it with the best of the Passengers album, with a tracklisting like this, it would've been the best record of their entire career. Yes, better than Achtung, and yes, better than Joshua:

ZOOROPA(1995)

1.Zooropa
2.Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
3.Your Blue Room
4.Numb
5.Lemon
6.Babyface
7.Stay(Faraway, So Close)
8.Slug
9.Dirty Day(Bitter Kiss Mix)
10.Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
11.A Different Kind Of Blue
12.Miss Sarajevo
13.The First Time
14.Always Forever Now(with Zooropa Siren Secret Track at the end)

Try it

:drool: :rockon: :drool: :rockon: :drool: :rockon:

I'm really diggin the tracklist, it's awesome :up:

I made one a few months ago that makes me drool everytime:

1 // Zooropa
2 // Slug
3 // Lemon
4 // Numb
5 // Corpse (These Chains Are Way Too Long)
6 // Miss Sarajevo
7 // Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
8 // The First Time
9 // Your Blue Room
10 // Always Forever Now
11 // Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car
12 // Dirty Day (Bitter Kiss Mix)
13 // The Wanderer

Wow, I don't know what to say.

You the Zooropa song with the most character (The Wanderer) and added in a bunch of boring Passengers tracks. Had the band released this instead of Zooropa, it would have easily been their WORST album ever. The only thing you even remotely improved upon the original was adding Your Blue Room, a beautiful song. But otherwise, that's garbage.

...in my most humble of opinions of course.

Why not just have a remastered "Zooropa" with three bonus tracks ("Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me", "Miss Sarajevo" and "Your Blue Room")......then you would have everything you need from that era, to be honest.

phanan said:
I for one don't like how HMTMKMKM fits with the Zooropa songs. I know it has its origins from that time frame, but I don't know, I think it sounds better with Pop myself.

:shrug:

agreed.

phanan said:
I for one don't like how HMTMKMKM fits with the Zooropa songs. I know it has its origins from that time frame, but I don't know, I think it sounds better with Pop myself.

:shrug:

I def agree :up:, it works well if you stick it between Gone and Miami in the Pop running order.

Re: Re: Fictitious Zooropa/Passengers Album

LemonMacPhisto said:

I'm really diggin the tracklist, it's awesome :up:

I made one a few months ago that makes me drool everytime:

1 // Zooropa
2 // Slug
3 // Lemon
4 // Numb
5 // Corpse (These Chains Are Way Too Long)
6 // Miss Sarajevo
7 // Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
8 // The First Time
9 // Your Blue Room
10 // Always Forever Now
11 // Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car
12 // Dirty Day (Bitter Kiss Mix)
13 // The Wanderer

Holy schnikes that's a good tracklist!

Hey NamkcuR, I truly like this idea! A creative project and an attempt to shed some light on two U2 albums not highly recognized or greatly appreciated.

I agree with Phanan “HMTMKMKM …. I know it has its origins from that time frame, but I don't know, I think it sounds better with Pop myself.” Also, I don’t mind track lists that are longer than a typical album’s length but there is a challenge in attempting to create a new album’s worth of songs.

If Zooropa was “out there” and Passengers was even farther “out there” then I’d be inclined to focus on a new composition that was centered as much as possible in this unique direction, atmosphere, and type of sound. Let’s float out there in the ether.

If with Zooropa U2 was completing the deconstruction of “the 80’s U2”
and many were kind of unsure if it was even U2 album, then why not stress this “shock” and the experimentation even more so? Create a collection where U2 is barely recognizable at all – and if anything not until the very end?! The song Zooropa – I think that was that Bono? Lemon – who is this Macphisto? The Wanderer – what the heck is Johnny Cash doing here? Numb – is that Edge singing? A few instrumentals on U2 album! And each of them taking us a “weird” trip somewhere.

United Colours – the song Zooropa but without words. Lemon Perfecto – a driving and bright neon rhythm and a billboard beat. Always, Forever, Now – the metropolis amphetamine rush continues. These gigantic cities are like another planet! A skyscraper song that asks you – is this heaven or hell. The first 4 songs = the arrival and the drive from the airport and through the downtown. Sensory overload and disorientation. Starts off with a couple days of sightseeing. The vehicular traffic, the human traffic, the hurry and the hustle, the auditory noise, the visual noise, the rapid speed of the daily life, the zooming pace of the night life, the psychological pollution of advertising, the spiritual pollution of the all encompassing media. The next several songs = a barbiturate-like breakdown, descent, depression, and despair. A Xanax-like trance. The Wanderer – what an excellent “travel” song and great thematic summary and bookend to the song Zooropa. Why not bring it into the center of the album. What a voice! An ancient, deep voice. A prophet’s voice? A cowboy voice drifting through a modern day New York or London or L.A. or Tokyo. A serious and dangerous voice who could just as well as shoot you as lay his hands on ya. One Minute Warning - an ideal song for imaging a ride on an elevated commuter train or an underground train through a gargantuan metropolitan. The train’s motion and the body’s movement. (Which just brought my attention to Bottoms [Miss Sarajevo b-side] There ya go – I’d consider putting that in there and maybe before The Wanderer. Also, a fun reference / connection to Zoo Station. AB a raucous prowl vs. a Zooropa a bleary-eyed zombie) Numb and Slug – Bono performing his own version of Numb. An industrial Numb followed by an ethereal Numb. Blue Room and Velvet Dress – it appears to be that they are an absolute perfect match together (even though Velvet Dress is off Pop its title appears on the Zooropa album cover. Already written and recording the Zooropa sessions?) Stay - I’m attracted to an open ended final track. Will he come back? Does he wind up “staying”? Has he had enough of trying to convince her? Is his own “home responsibilities” the overriding factor in his decision? Does she leave her abusive, dead end relationship and then ask her lover to “stay”?

A Zooropa / Passengers album like a soundtrack to an imaginary movie. A Zooropa / Passengers album that takes you on a journey. A Zooropa / Passengers which tells a singular, seamless, linear story. How about picturing something like “Apocalypse Now” but instead of on a river and through the jungles of Cambodia set in a present day Tokyo. Streets, sidewalks and speed trains. The jungle of a mass of humanity. A jungle of neon fireworks and towers of steel and glass. Going further and deeper into the core of the city and into a “heart of darkness” (dislocation, disorientation, dazed, adrift, lost, numb). Apocalypse Tokyo? Nah. Or how about picturing something like “Lost In Translation.” Instead of a friendship between Bob and Charlotte - an affair happens. Instead of a bit of humour and a sort of rejuvenation – a mutual spiral downwards. Lost in Tokyo? Nah.

In Flanagan’s Bible, U2 expressed their fascination with Tokyo and the desire to record an album there. And from Passenger interviews with Bono and Eno it appears that Tokyo served as an imaginary location and inspiration.

TOKYO

Zooropa – 6:30
United Colours – 5:31
Lemon (Perfecto Mix Single Version) - 6:20
Always Forever Now – 6:24
Bottoms – 4:11
The Wanderer (Soundtrack Version) - 5:19
One Minute Warning – 4:40
Numb – 4:18
Slug – 4:41
Your Blue Room – 5:28
If You Wear That Velvet Dress – 5:14
Stay – 4:58

---------------------------------------------

Lemon (Perfecto Mix Single Version) 6:20 [an edit from 8:56 – album version 6:56 – cut about a minute from the start, about 45 sec. of an instrumental section ¾ through, and about a minute from the end]

Bottoms – a last minute addition and now this Zooropa / Passengers Combo can compete with 12 track AB and POP. POP without Velvet Dress? How about this:

Discotheque
Hold Me, Thrill Me…
Do You Feel Loved
Mofo
Miami
Playboy Mansion
Staring At The Sun
Last Night On Earth
Gone
If God Will Send His Angels
Please
Wake Up Dead Man